Fewer and fewer butterflies

Myrddin Awyr said:
ScottD said:
Interesting. I have seen more butterflies in NC this year than I ever have in previous years.

I have to agree. I have seen a great deal of butterflies around here and on my hikes in the NC mountains.

Well that's encouraging news...are you in the central portion of the state too? Maybe the butterflies were just smart enough to move?

ScottD said:
Guardian said:
Really? Where are you...east, west or in the middle? Do you have any leaf damage?

I'm in the Piedmont area (Winston-Salem). Yeah, some things are getting chewed up. I've got a couple plants on the porch and they're getting gnawed on. The dryness over the past month has caused premature leaf turning/dropping. I'm already blowing leaves but I do have a fairly wooded lot.

Oh boy! You are right there in Vinnie and Stormbear's stomping grounds! Maybe you could do some "looking around" for us?

Noticed in my neck of the woods SW FLA that there are less butterflies. Especially the monarch. Seems mosquito's are on the rise and the butterfly on the decline. Also have loads of dragonfly's due to the mosquito's.

Laura said:
Oh boy! You are right there in Vinnie and Stormbear's stomping grounds! Maybe you could do some "looking around" for us?

Ugh, I know. I remember reading that he was from here awhile back and my thoughts were "great that wierdo lives nearby!"

I'd be glad to do some "eyeball" :ninja: work but not sure what I might be looking for.

ScottD said:
I'd be glad to do some "eyeball" :ninja: work but not sure what I might be looking for.

I have something in mind. I'll send you a PM later.

Beautiful pictures Guardian!! We have some lovely butterflies here in Missouri, but many species are migrating south now. (NOOO DON'T GO!!)

Guardian said:
Well that's encouraging news...are you in the central portion of the state too?

Yeah, the area to what's known as the Triangle. I'm about a couple of hours from ScottD.

Guardian said:
Maybe the butterflies were just smart enough to move?

They do migrate from one area to another depending on the season, and since the seasons are now erratic, the insect migration would be uncommon. We got rain yesterday and more coming tomorrow - yay! :)

Laura said:
I have something in mind. I'll send you a PM later.

Okidoke, sounds intriguing. I just plugged in Vinnie in google and came up with an address (business perhaps). If it's valid then he's literally at my backdoor. Wonderful.

Myrddin Awyr said:
Yeah, the area to what's known as the Triangle. I'm about a couple of hours from ScottD.
Guardian said:
Good to know there's more like minds in the RTP area. Looks like I may be out that way tomorrow. And yeah looks like we'll have some more flooding soon.

And to not stray too far off topic, I saw more butterflies today while on a smoke break ;D

Bluestar said:
Noticed in my neck of the woods SW FLA that there are less butterflies. Especially the monarch. Seems mosquito's are on the rise and the butterfly on the decline. Also have loads of dragonfly's due to the mosquito's.

We haven't had many mosquitoes at all, or any other bugs for that matter....which is nice, but scary. Even the accursed Japanese beetles are few and far between.

Guardian said:
Bluestar said:

We haven't had many mosquitoes at all, or any other bugs for that matter....which is nice, but scary. Even the accursed Japanese beetles are few and far between.

That is weird. (about the beetles) I've noticed an increase in aggression from wasps. That can be normal for this time of year, but one flat out attacked Hubby, and he came in hollering last night. It tagged him under an arm. He's never been stung by one, so he got the baking soda paste treatment and a benadryl. :halo: We normally have more trouble with hornets than wasps. I went out for a bit yesterday and was 'bumped' by a few wasps, but they weren't in aggressive mode, so I walked very slowly away and they flew off. I'm not aware if wasps do the head bump like bees and hornets will, or if these wasps are just odd. ;D

Gimpy said:
That is weird. (about the beetles) I've noticed an increase in aggression from wasps. That can be normal for this time of year, but one flat out attacked Hubby, and he came in hollering last night. It tagged him under an arm. He's never been stung by one, so he got the baking soda paste treatment and a benadryl. :halo: We normally have more trouble with hornets than wasps. I went out for a bit yesterday and was 'bumped' by a few wasps, but they weren't in aggressive mode, so I walked very slowly away and they flew off. I'm not aware if wasps do the head bump like bees and hornets will, or if these wasps are just odd. ;D

I really hate wasps. We have TONS of them here, and they always nest right on our roof, and inside light fixtures in our balcony. And they're almost always in attack mode! Pesky little things! :curse: I always find myself running from them :scared:

Back
Top Bottom