Fear Quotes

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Oxajil said:
Perhaps this might help you understand better; from casschat:

RESPONSE:

You have seen clearly into the source of many aspects of the Wrong Work in a person's psychology. You may have seen and experienced your own Chief Feature, Fear. But Fear, whether it is your Chief Feature or not, is at the source of Identification, etc. We fear rejection, being alone, being in need, being vulnerable. We are afraid of failure, commitment, appearing to not fit in, looking foolish, and deep inside more than anything we fear meaninglessness.
[...]

RESPONSE:

All of these fears are Negative Emotions meaning Wrong Work of the Emotional Center and they result in Wrong Work in Personality.
The concept of fear in this context helps to put things in better perspective.

Its kind of interesting how certain fears come reality when we react rather than act, based on primitive defense mechanisms. Or you're afraid to face something and then that means you have to face it, "All there is is lessons". After reading the above, I did a search on fear quotes and some of them are quite useful as food for thought...

-----------------

"Trauma engenders fear .... Both your actual parents' behavior and your internalized parents' critical messages, no matter how mystifying, are driven by FEARS: fear of being seen as flawed, fear of feeling powerless, fear of feeling invalidated, fear of feeling vulnerable, fear of losing emotional control."-Dan Neuharth

"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live."-Dorothy Thompson

"There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings."-Dorothy Thompson

"Fear grows in darkness; if you think there's a bogeyman around, turn on the light."-Dorothy Thompson

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-- Frank Herbert, Dune. Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety."
-- Plato.

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."
-- Eric Hoffer.

"Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained."
-- Arthur Somers Roche.

"One will never reach distant shores,
if he chooses to remain upon the dock,
In fear his little ship of dreams
may be dashed against the rocks."
-- F. Bolen.

"Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile... initially scared me to death."
-- Betty Bender.

"Fear makes strangers of people who should be friends."
-- Shirley MacLaine.

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror."
-- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

"The fear of being wrong is the prime inhibitor of the creative process."
-- Jean Bryant.

"Neither comprehension nor learning can take place in an atmosphere of anxiety."
-- Frank Smith.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
-- Ambrose Redmoon.

"If a man harbors any sort of fear, it percolates through all his thinking, damages his personality, makes him landlord to a ghost."
-- Lloyd Cassel Douglas.

"It has been said that our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength."
-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

"A further sign of health is that we don't become undone by fear and trembling, but we take it as a message that it's time to stop struggling and look directly at what's threatening us."
-- Pema Chodron.

"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have."
-- Louis E. Boone.

"The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but, it is fear."
-- Gandhi.

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."
-- Dale Carnegie.

"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend loses more; but he that loses courage loses all."--Cervantes

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self."-Aristotle

"Worry is a form of fear, and all forms of fear produce fatigue. A man who has learned not to feel fear will find th fatigue of daily life enormously diminished."-Bertrand Arthur William Russell

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing that you will make one."-Elbert Hubbard

"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them."-Livy

“The key to change... is to let go of fear.”-Rosanne Cash

“Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here.”

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." -Yoda

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."-Yoda

I also find this blogmessage regarding Fear by Zadius Sky interesting :

I came across one of my readings of Gurdjieff's works, Views from the Real World, and found one of the most intriguing excerpts. This one is on fear and identification. With all the terror and fear going on in this world, it is well worth a while to see a unique perspective on fear...

Once upon a time, a man by the name of Gurdjieff began thus:

Sometimes a man is lost in revolving thoughts which return again and again to the same thing, the same unpleasantness, which he anticipates and which not only will not but cannot happen in reality.

These forebodings of future unpleasantnesses, illnesses, losses, awkward situations often get hold of a man to such an extent that they become waking dreams. People cease to see and hear what actually happens, and if someone succeeds in proving to them that their forebodings and fears were unfounded in some particular instance, they even feel a certain disappointment, as though they were deprived of a pleasant expectation.

Very often a man leading a cultured life in cultured surroundings does not realize how big a role fears play in his life. He is afraid of everything: afraid of his servants, afraid of the children of his neighbor, the porter in the entrance hall, the man selling newspapers around the corner, the cab-driver, the shop assistant, a friend he sees in the street and tries to pass unobtrusively so as not to be noticed. And in their turn the children, the servants, the hall porter, and so on, are afraid of him.

And this is so in ordinary, normal times but, at such times as we are going through now, this all-pervading fear becomes clearly visible.

It is no exaggeration to say that a great part of the events of the last year are based on fear and are the results of fear.

Unconscious fear is a very characteristic feature of sleep.

Man is possessed by all that surrounds him because he can never look sufficiently objectively on his relationship to his surroundings.

He can never stand aside and look at himself together with whatever attracts or repels him at the moment. And because of this inability he is identified with everything.

This too is feature of sleep.

You begin a conversation with someone with the definite aim of getting some information from him. To attain this aim you must never cease to watch yourself, to remember what you want, to stand aside and look at yourself and the man you are talking to. But you cannot do it. Nine times out of ten you will become identified with the conversation and instead of getting the information you want, you will yourself tell him things you had no intention of telling.

People have no idea how much they are carried away by fear. This fear is not easily defined. More often than not it is fear of awkward situation, fear of what another man may think. At times this fear becomes almost a mania. (p. 260-1, Views from the Real World)

By identifying with fear, one is merely sleeping and hardly ever conscious. To identify with or not to identify with, now that is a question...

There's probably a couple dozen or so references to 'fear' in the C's transcripts, but there's two that might be relevant to this thread.

Session 970125:

[...]
Q: (J) I'd like to ask about the feeling I had coming over the Courtney Campbell Bridge on Thursday afternoon. What was the reason for the feeling of dread that I had?
A: Fear strikes when one has momentary realizations of the trapping boundaries of physicality.
[...]

Session 020818:

[...]
Q: (T) Okay, let me ask one more question, I know everybody's getting tired. With these goals that I gave up was that because I was being
an ass or because I really was doing something good for somebody else when I was giving them up?
A: Mostly the former with the qualifier that it was mostly fear of loss.
[...]

I've found it most useful to think of fear as being like confused emotions swirling around a thoughtform similar to "a chance of harm is near", or "pain is imminent". I think it is most often caused by some perception(s) in the present moment being such a close match to some incident in the past that actually caused pain, that for all intents and purposes, the subconscious mind can't tell the difference. Something like: "this moment is the same as that moment, which is the same as pain, which is the same as everything else...! A moronic type of simple associative thinking, based on a real past incident.

I have also heard it suggested that one can be afraid of being afraid. That is to say, that one can be 'brought up short' simply by being afraid that one will feel fear and that it will all just be too much to deal with. Really hard to think clearly with all that confusion swirling around in the immediate moment.

In Search of the Miraculous

Gurdjieff said:
The second barrier is very often the conquest of fear. A man usually has many unnecessary, imaginary fears. Lies and fears-this is the atmosphere in which an ordinary man lives. Just as the conquest of lying is individual, so also is the conquest of fear. Every man has fears of his own which are peculiar to him alone. These fears must first be found and then destroyed. The fears of which I speak are usually connected with the lies among which a man lives. You must realize that they have nothing in common with the fear of spiders or of mice or of a dark room, or with unaccountable nervous fears.

The struggle against lying in oneself and the struggle against fears is the first positive work which a man begins to do.

Back
Top Bottom