Eric Pepin - Higher Balance Institute - Discussion

JACtheMagnificent said:
What I gained from Higher Balance Institute was a knack at spotting a tiger trying to change its stripes and be a zebra, or woolly mamoth. On many points I won't disagree with Eric Pepin. On many other things the guy's got get off his High Holier than Thou Ego. Which I guess if you amassed as much knowledge as he has, you would be that way too.
What a strange comment. "if you amassed as much knowledge as he has, you would be [High Holier Than thou]"

Say what?

Since when did amassing knowledge lead to an attitude of being "High Holier Than Thou"?

Never, in my experience. The only people I have ever encountered with this attitude are those who are trying to con someone.

This Eric Pepin gives all the indications of a real, live, pathological deviant.

JACtheMagnificent said:
What I found to be the most amusing about Eric Pepin's HBI, is there meditational music really works.
I'm with Anart - what do you mean by this?

JACtheMagnificent said:
The other most amusing point, is how close minded his staff is, I know rigidity is enforced in the East, but never like I have seen it in their staff. They claim to be dimensional aware, but in reality, their just like everyone else. Human, nonetheless.
Or, perhaps, human deviants.

JACtheMagnificent said:
At the same time I believe that we require a certain amount of self help. If you pickup something that in the moment seems right, go with it. Until it doesn't work then find the next piece of puzzle. Then move on from there until you come full circle.
Unfortunately, false information is worse than ignorance.

JACtheMagnificent said:
But overall, like many people wanting answers, HBI serves some puropse, its purpose is teach people that we're all alseep still.
Horse hockey. There is nothing there except a pathological deviant and his deviant followers conning the public. There's nothing at all about "waking up" there. For example, most meditation will do little but put you back to sleep. It's an act of self-calming and falling into confluence with the psychopathic reality.

JACtheMagnificent said:
No one ever wakes from the dream of this life time. The best you can do is keep yourself awake by remind yourself you need to be awake. Call it dailty penitance.
That's rather contradictory. Did you notice, or did you intend it that way?

JACtheMagnificent said:
Then comes the tragedy of what teaching yourself how to meditate. Get a set chakra tuning forks, then gradually move upto speed to higher and more potent frequencies, tonals, etc. It's funny, but the only thing I really learnt from HBI, get your own stuff, get a little push to get you independent. Then when you can see your Soul in its glory, then like any martial artist, be very very very very humble. You aren't God yet, nor should you try and bending Him.
Like I said, most meditation will do little but put you back to sleep. It's an act of self-calming and falling into confluence with the psychopathic reality.

Hello,

Thank you for the opportunity to join in this discussion. I am compelled to participate because I have had great experiences with Eric Pepin's methods and because of the title of this thread and its overt suggestion that HBI is a front for sexual misconduct. Given the care taken by the administrators and moderators to keep this site free of sensationalism and the perpetuation of false information, I feel I owe it to the integrity of this thread to post that on May 24 of this year, Eric Pepin was acquitted of all the charges discussed on this thread. Because the source of all this discussion of Eric Pepin's alleged sexual misconduct relies entirely on a negatively biased news article, I respectfully request that the subject of this thread be renamed in a manner that befits the quality of discourse that the Sign of the Times site typically exemplifies.

For those of you who are interested in knowing more about this issue, there is a full thread devoted to it at the Rick Ross Cult Education forums _http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?5,33575,page=1]here. I posted to this thread under the handle "Heart". The following excerpt from one of my posts to that thread summarizes my position on this matter:

heart said:
The initial article that was posted was obviously biased. It was reported immediately after the charges were first filed and there had not even been an arraignment. The most recent article reads not much differently. It is one thing to have posted these as a point of informing the visitors to this site and keeping this thread updated with on-going media coverage. It is another thing entirely to have discussed it as if a verdict had been levied and the accused parties found guilty. Doesn't this strike any of you as undermining the value that a site like this [Rick Ross Cult Education Forum] can provide? When I first read this thread, my immediate judgment of this site was that it is really a cyber witch-hunt and I've not read much to change this opinion since.

My general impression of this case, informed by hearing both sides of the story to date, is that Eric Pepin, a perpetuater of alternative spirituality (a.k.a. not Christian), has been targeted in a very conservative county of Oregon by a prosecutor (supported by a large contingent of similarly-minded) who is largely intolerant of such alternatives. ...that the accuser is an opportunist who had hoped to be awarded a large amount of money for his "sufferings."
On another, but clearly related note, I would like to qualify my relationship to Eric Pepin and Higher Balance Institute in service of transparency on this forum. I do not now, nor have I ever been in the employ of Eric Pepin or Higher Balance Institute aside from one contract job, the scope of which was to edit training material. I will not reveal the specifics of the contract because I signed a non-disclosure agreement prohibiting such. I also have no current or past vested financial interest in HBI, nor have I been promised such. My motivation for engaging in the aforementioned editing project was based on a strong appreciation for the work that Eric Pepin and HBI is doing as well as an equally strong belief that they need a serious cleanup job on their presentation, not only in their marketing, but in their instructional literature as well. Read my statement regarding their projected identity_http://www.1clan.net/creatives/hbi.meditation.php]_here..._

My primary regret in reading this thread and others like it is that Higher Balance Institute does a dismal job at providing any sense of congruence between who they really are--as I have personally experienced them--and how they are represented via their marketing material (www site specifically). Much of what I read from people who support them doesn't help much either as they are typically sliced-and-diced on forums such as these for their lack of objectivity and general defensiveness. Please don't consider this statement to be an attack against you folks. You have every right to be skeptical and the onus is on the supporter, myself included, to substantiate their position; at least as well as one can anecdotally. Most of the EP/HBI supporters whose posts I've read don't appear to have the ability, inclination or the patience to do a proper job of it. I hope that this post at least raises the bar in terms of respecting the position of the skeptic without degenerating into self-righteous and more-evolved-than-thou rhetoric.

Regarding my personal experience with the methodology that Eric Pepin developed, here you go...

In July of 2006, a young man named Jesse, whom I had just accepted as a "friend" on MySpace posted his HBI affiliate banner link in a *comment* on_http://www.myspace.com/heartvajra my page. I'm sure you've all seen these banner ads; they are typically pretty overt and cheesy in their messaging and that's why, though I am a passive affiliate, I do not use them. Since then Jesse and I have become decent enough friends/acquaintances and he, like many other HBI "subscribers" with whom I've interacted on the _http://www.hbinavigators.com/ HBI social networking site[/url], is a genuine, passionate, and caring human being.

Anyway, I clicked through and was more or less oblivious to their poor marketing; I was looking for audio. I found the audio pretty quickly as well as all the other articles and The Handbook of the Navigator e-book downloads. After going through all of them immediately, I was sufficiently compelled by Eric's message and manner of delivery to evaluate his Foundation Set that provides the details of the fundamental meditation methods that are designed to fuel the human “energy body” with the life force of the universe; i.e. “Prana,” “Chi,” “The Force,” etc. The idea is that this particular technique, out of several in the HBI curricullum, serves as an exercise and nutrition regimen for the energy body. Properly conditioned in this way, the sensory abilities proper to this energy body are stimulated into an active state where formerly they would have been typically pretty feeble. But developing these sensory abilities are not encouraged for frivolous applications. Once developed, they are the key to enabling inner exploration and development of the soul-body for the purpose of serving the Gaia consciousness and even beyond that, Spirit/God/Creator consciousness.

So anyway, this was all resonating for me very much and before I even received my set, I had discovered through my research on-line that there was an accelerated learning track through HBI called the Star Reach program. I had the funds available, so I decided to take a full plunge in my appraisal of their offering...you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The deal with Star Reach is that for $153 a month you work with one of Eric's long-term students via a one-hour phone call every two weeks and 100% of the monthly fee is returned to you in recorded lectures (delivered by Eric Pepin) at a %50 discount off the listed price. To those of you who believe that you shouldn't have to pay for this type of knowledge, I really don't understand your logic. In the immortal words of Robert Heinlien, "TANSTAAFL" (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch). I can't think of knowledge that is better to invest in than this type; doors are consequently opened that make such up-front investments a mere pittance in comparison to the returns; that's been my experience. By the way, historically speaking, this type of knowledge has never been free. Of course, I understand that most people on this forum are well aware of this and that the real issue on the table is whether Eric Pepin and HBI actually delivers this type of knowledge. For myself, I'm pretty clear that they do. Hopefully, my sharing will address a few of the more glaring concerns that have been voiced here; the remainder of the doubts can only be cleared up by doing as I did: putting them to the test if it matters enough to you.

By the time I had received my Foundation Set, I was enrolled in Star Reach and my self-imposed 30-day evaluation period was officially underway (30 days came and went and I was definitely in for the full self-imposed 1-year evaluation period). I was connected with a Star Reach Instructor by the name of Matt (sorry, no last names) who has been studying with Eric Pepin for about thirteen years now and is generally considered to be one of Eric's top students and instructors. I was assigned to Matt specifically by Eric, who had read my e-mail detailing my interest in the program and also providing some of my background in the arena of matters esoteric. I worked with Matt for the period of one full year--the time that I had committed to myself that I would give to the program--and experienced growth in the areas of telepathic communication, intuitive knowing, manifestation, the occurrence of very beneficial synchronistic events, and really most importantly, the connection that I've strengthened with my "Middle Pillar" awareness; i.e. Higher Self, Inner Being, Navigator, etc. I feel like I've stepped onto a *golden* path on which there is complete congruence between my generally predefined purpose (with a percentage of that given to the unknown) and what I do in every moment.

As far as specific examples, the telepathic communication and intuitive knowing are pretty tricky to quantify even in anecdotal terms. Those of you reading this thread who have developed these abilities probably know well enough what I'm talking about. It's just a million (figure of speech) little things that never really happened much before that now amount to generally thinking with the same mind as friends of mine who are doing the meditation too; consistently sending each other e-mails at the same time related to the same subject...and I'm not on e-mail with them all the time. Following *hunches* to go to craigslist for something specific: in one case it was the job of my dreams; in another case it was connecting with the perfect group of musicians with whom I could collaborate...and I wasn't checking craigslist everyday...I just got the hit and the relevant posting was above the fold when I got there.

I believe that it is not up to us to determine how the meditation is going to work for us; ultimately, we're in service to a much bigger agenda and this training enables participants to slip into place much easier that we generally do. For me, my overt psychic skills have not developed as much as my ability to manifest/create. For others, other strengths are developed. For me, this meditation has proven to lubricate the process of manifestation and synchronicity in ways that I could never have foreseen. The major points of proof for me is the job I currently have, an amazing personal relationship with my wife and my friends, the evolution of my _http://www.mythosforcreatives.com/]MYTHOS for Creatives program, an incredible collaborative music project, a new home, and a multitude of other details large and small that comprise a life that I feel infinitely blessed to call my own. That's not to say that my life was bad before, but I can certainly tell the difference between now and a couple years back.

Perhaps it was an amazing coincidence in timing with my own spiritual development, or perhaps the methodology really works; Six in one hand, a half-dozen in the other. I was definitely experiencing a pretty dramatic upturn the nine months to a year prior to coming across EP/HBI, but I know that was related to the work I was doing with manifestation principles, which consequently attracted EP/HBI into my experience. I have definitely, to my satisfaction, realized a great deal of returned value on my investment of $153 a month for the year of my full enrollment in the HBI curriculum. The only reason that I stopped participating is because I need to allow my practice (in which I remain current) to catch up in integrating all the knowledge on the modules that I've received to-date. I also want to focus my budget for this type of work on some complementary practices which, yes, do cost money too. Though I think their current marketing strategy--which may be fiscally effective--does not help their image (of which I've been very vocal about to HBI), the techniques shared have been very effective for me and my goal to be of service to the Divine Creative Impulse.

Regarding the "release expectation" dichotomy that folks have been complaining about, I appreciate the general distrust of it as a satisfactory response to the meditation not working for some people. The bottom line is that this method--as is any other effective method with the same goals--is designed to enable individuals to slip quickly into their role on this "Gaia" system as has been defined for them by The Universe. This being a group of people (on sott.net) who understand the multitude of "I" or "Ego" personalities and consequent desires that function at the level of the physical body, you shouldn't have much of a problem understanding that it is the desires of the "Middle Piller" that is important. The idea of releasing expectation is related to allowing the agenda/desires of the True Self to surface and drive action. Also, expectations occur at the level of the organic brain, a clunky information processor compared to the multi-dimensional mind through which much more reliable experiential data is processed. It is a clearly stated goal of this meditation practice to develop human conscious awareness to operate at a level of mind that transcends the organic brain. This is also referred to as "non-thought" which does not mean you don't think, it means you don't think at the level of the organic brain.

Well, that concludes my best attempt to provide to this thread that which many of you have been requesting. I hope that, at least, you will appreciate the time I put into addressing what I feel are very valid challenges to the matter of Eric Pepin's soul-cultivation methodologies; though I would have expected a bit more discernment regarding your quickness to perpetuate the sexual misconduct slander; you'll need a better excuse than "I read it on the Internet" ;^)

With warmest regards,

Manny Otto

MO said:
Hello,

Thank you for the opportunity to join in this discussion.
** DRC *** What opportunity? - kind of a manipulative opening to set up the audience to think you are a kind and thoughtful person. Disingenuous perhaps, perhaps not, maybe just a trained method.

MO said:
I am compelled to participate because I have had great experiences with Eric Pepin's methods and because of the title of this thread and its overt suggestion that HBI is a front for sexual misconduct.
** DRC ** "compelled to participate"? How honorable. "the thread's 'overt' suggestion"? I think the thread title is an assessment based on data, not just someone's misdirected accident that needs correcting.

MO said:
Given the care taken by the administrators and moderators to keep this site free of sensationalism and the perpetuation of false information,
** DRC ** BS alert! Wow can you lay it on thick with every technique of mind manipulation available can't you? "the care taken", "to keep this site free of 'sensationalism'", "and the perpetuation", "of false information". So basically you are making accusations that the title needs to be changed and that the site perpetuates sensationalism and false information. Nice technique. If the mods and admins are great people they will fix this egregious falsity.

MO said:
I feel I owe it to the integrity of this thread to post that on May 24 of this year,
** DRC ** "to the integrity", "of this thread". Oh yes, you must be the honorable one and help out this poor site so that it's reputation is saved as it is so misinformed.

MO said:
Eric Pepin was acquitted of all the charges discussed on this thread. Because the source of all this discussion of Eric Pepin's alleged sexual misconduct relies entirely on a negatively biased news article,
** DRC ** BS - "relies entirely on a negatively biased news article"

MO said:
I respectfully request that the subject of this thread be renamed in a manner that befits the quality of discourse that the Sign of the Times site typically exemplifies.
** DRC ** "respectfully request?" "manner that befits the quality of discourse", "the Sign of the Times site typically exemplifies"... Wow, it gets thicker and thicker. I guess it is your way of showing indignation and demanding a wrong be righted.

MO said:
For those of you who are interested in knowing more about this issue, there is a full thread devoted to it at the Rick Ross Cult Education forums _http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?5,33575,page=1]here. I posted to this thread under the handle "Heart". The following excerpt from one of my posts to that thread summarizes my position on this matter:
** DRC ** The thread just reinforces the evidence of Pepin's sexual deviancy. Funny that the thread is on a site whose owner has his own issues with authorities and sexual deviancy with young men. I find it amazing that none of this bothers you.

MO said:
The initial article that was posted was obviously biased. It was reported immediately after the charges were first filed and there had not even been an arraignment. The most recent article reads not much differently. It is one thing to have posted these as a point of informing the visitors to this site and keeping this thread updated with on-going media coverage. It is another thing entirely to have discussed it as if a verdict had been levied and the accused parties found guilty. Doesn't this strike any of you as undermining the value that a site like this [Rick Ross Cult Education Forum] can provide? When I first read this thread, my immediate judgment of this site was that it is really a cyber witch-hunt and I've not read much to change this opinion since.

My general impression of this case, informed by hearing both sides of the story to date,
** DRC ** Reverse speech ... you here are not informed - I am, you have it wrong.

MO said:
is that Eric Pepin, a perpetuater of alternative spirituality (a.k.a. not Christian), has been targeted in a very conservative county of Oregon by a prosecutor (supported by a large contingent of similarly-minded) who is largely intolerant of such alternatives. ...that the accuser is an opportunist who had hoped to be awarded a large amount of money for his "sufferings."
** DRC ** I have lived in Washington, Multnomah, and Clackamas counties for 40 years. You are not even very well informed despite your statements to the contrary - "very conservative county of Oregon by a prosecutor (supported by a large contingent of similarly-minded) who is largely intolerant of such alternatives"

MO said:
On another, but clearly related note, I would like to qualify my relationship to Eric Pepin and Higher Balance Institute in service of transparency on this forum. I do not now, nor have I ever been in the employ of Eric Pepin or Higher Balance Institute aside from one contract job, the scope of which was to edit training material. I will not reveal the specifics of the contract because I signed a non-disclosure agreement prohibiting such. I also have no current or past vested financial interest in HBI, nor have I been promised such. My motivation for engaging in the aforementioned editing project was based on a strong appreciation for the work that Eric Pepin and HBI is doing as well as an equally strong belief that they need a serious cleanup job on their presentation, not only in their marketing, but in their instructional literature as well. Read my statement regarding their projected identity_http://www.1clan.net/creatives/hbi.meditation.php]_here..._

My primary regret in reading this thread and others like it is that Higher Balance Institute does a dismal job at providing any sense of congruence between who they really are--as I have personally experienced them--and how they are represented via their marketing material (www site specifically). Much of what I read from people who support them doesn't help much either as they are typically sliced-and-diced on forums such as these for their lack of objectivity and general defensiveness. Please don't consider this statement to be an attack against you folks. You have every right to be skeptical and the onus is on the supporter, myself included, to substantiate their position; at least as well as one can anecdotally. Most of the EP/HBI supporters whose posts I've read don't appear to have the ability, inclination or the patience to do a proper job of it. I hope that this post at least raises the bar in terms of respecting the position of the skeptic without degenerating into self-righteous and more-evolved-than-thou rhetoric.
** DRC ** But your language already gives you away. Pretty words around a thought do not remove its meaning and intent. You basically are trying to disarm and flatter SOTT and readers here while making accusations against the site and many here. It's a psychological manipulation technique and you think you are good at it and that it is transparent to the audience, it makes you an honorable person. It is still accusations against SOTT. It is still derogatory no matter how disarming and disingenuously flattering you make yourself out to be. To me it is sickening that you cannot see yourself. It is hilarious. You mention "self-righteous and more-evolved-than-thou rhetoric", your whole disarm and flatter, good cop/bad cop shtick is actually one of your little I's playing its "self-righteous and more-evolved-than-thou" theme.

MO said:
Regarding my personal experience with the methodology that Eric Pepin developed, here you go...
** DRC ** NLP has made wonderful lives for many people. Scientology works great for Tom Cruise and John Travolta and many others. The Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh made wonderful people of many also - except the ones who tried to kill all those people in Wasco county.

{TRIMMED for excessive air time and self promotional aggrandizement}

MO said:
Well, that concludes my best attempt to provide to this thread that which many of you have been requesting.
** DRC ** I couldn't figure this thread out until just now. The light just went on - "We here (which I guess includes SOTT) were 'requesting' just such information for enlightenment. We requested it, we asked for it, and it was your duty to fulfill that request. Thank you for answering our call for help. We should ask for help like this more often.

MO said:
I hope that, at least, you will appreciate the time I put into addressing what I feel are very valid challenges to the matter of Eric Pepin's soul -
** DRC ** BS meter - "Eric Pepin's soul". I know I appreciate the little demonstration you have put on display for all to see and learn from.

MO said:
cultivation methodologies; though I would have expected a bit more discernment regarding your quickness to perpetuate the sexual misconduct slander; you'll need a better excuse than "I read it on the Internet" ;^)
** DRC ** I'm so sorry we did not meet your expectations. We failed you. Twenty lashes for us. If we could only raise to your higher level and become self invested and attached in a similar fashion as you.

MO said:
With warmest regards,

Manny Otto
** DRC ** Warm fuzzies for everyone if we can all do better next time.

MO said:
Doesn't this strike any of you as undermining the value that a site like this [Rick Ross Cult Education Forum] can provide?
It does sound as though you are doing the rounds on all the forums, flattering them all, so that they will hear your message and see the light...according to you.

Christx11 already did a good job in showing this. Even before this issue was brought into the thread Eric Pepin's show was unmasked for the New age cargo cult that it certainly appears to be. Someone did a thread on that here that you might benefit from reading.

MO said:
Well, that concludes my best attempt to provide to this thread that which many of you have been requesting. I hope that, at least, you will appreciate the time I put into addressing what I feel are very valid challenges to the matter of Eric Pepin's soul-cultivation methodologies...
It appears that you value the time you spend being a defender of Eric Peppin. Maybe you should tell him and ask him for acknowledging you instead of us.

How do you know that EP's methods are soul-cultivating? We do not even know if Eric Pepin has a soul. His very methods could very likely ensure that any soul potential that a student of his has, will remain stunted and undeveloped, as the student enjoys the merry-go-rounds of the Higher Balance Institute. If the students of his, who have come here to defend him are any guideline, then there does not appear to be any soul-cultivation going on.

You might like to read the book by Barbara Hort: Unholy Hunger

These are the facts which can be verified from manny's message:

manny said:
on May 24 of this year, Eric Pepin was acquitted of all the charges discussed on this thread. [...]

It was reported immediately after the charges were first filed and there had not even been an arraignment.
Then there is manny's personal testimony. This contains a lot of speculation and inference by manny, so I've taken the liberty of stripping that out and leaving his direct observations and experiences. We end up with:

manny said:
I do not now, nor have I ever been in the employ of Eric Pepin or Higher Balance Institute aside from one contract job, the scope of which was to edit training material. I will not reveal the specifics of the contract because I signed a non-disclosure agreement prohibiting such. I also have no current or past vested financial interest in HBI, nor have I been promised such. My motivation for engaging in the aforementioned editing project was based on a strong appreciation for the work that Eric Pepin and HBI is doing as well as an equally strong belief that they need a serious cleanup job on their presentation, not only in their marketing, but in their instructional literature as well. [...]

In July of 2006, a young man named Jesse, whom I had just accepted as a "friend" on MySpace posted his HBI affiliate banner link in a *comment* on_http://www.myspace.com/heartvajra my page. [...]

Since then Jesse and I have become decent enough friends/acquaintances [...]

Anyway, I clicked through and was more or less oblivious to their poor marketing; I was looking for audio. I found the audio pretty quickly as well as all the other articles and The Handbook of the Navigator e-book downloads. After going through all of them immediately, I was sufficiently compelled by Eric's message and manner of delivery to evaluate his Foundation Set that provides the details of the fundamental meditation methods that are designed to fuel the human “energy body” with the life force of the universe; i.e. “Prana,” “Chi,” “The Force,” etc. [...]

So anyway, this was all resonating for me very much and before I even received my set, I had discovered through my research on-line that there was an accelerated learning track through HBI called the Star Reach program. I had the funds available, so I decided to take a full plunge in my appraisal of their offering...you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The deal with Star Reach is that for $153 a month you work with one of Eric's long-term students via a one-hour phone call every two weeks and 100% of the monthly fee is returned to you in recorded lectures (delivered by Eric Pepin) at a %50 discount off the listed price. [...]

By the time I had received my Foundation Set, I was enrolled in Star Reach and my self-imposed 30-day evaluation period was officially underway (30 days came and went and I was definitely in for the full self-imposed 1-year evaluation period). I was connected with a Star Reach Instructor by the name of Matt (sorry, no last names) who has been studying with Eric Pepin for about thirteen years now and is generally considered to be one of Eric's top students and instructors. I was assigned to Matt specifically by Eric, who had read my e-mail detailing my interest in the program and also providing some of my background in the arena of matters esoteric. I worked with Matt for the period of one full year--the time that I had committed to myself that I would give to the program--and experienced growth in the areas of telepathic communication, intuitive knowing, manifestation, the occurrence of very beneficial synchronistic events, and really most importantly, the connection that I've strengthened with my "Middle Pillar" awareness; i.e. Higher Self, Inner Being, Navigator, etc. I feel like I've stepped onto a *golden* path on which there is complete congruence between my generally predefined purpose (with a percentage of that given to the unknown) and what I do in every moment. [...]

The major points of proof for me is the job I currently have, an amazing personal relationship with my wife and my friends, the evolution of my _http://www.mythosforcreatives.com/]MYTHOS for Creatives program, an incredible collaborative music project, a new home, and a multitude of other details large and small that comprise a life that I feel infinitely blessed to call my own. That's not to say that my life was bad before, but I can certainly tell the difference between now and a couple years back. [...]

I have definitely, to my satisfaction, realized a great deal of returned value on my investment of $153 a month for the year of my full enrollment in the HBI curriculum. The only reason that I stopped participating is because I need to allow my practice (in which I remain current) to catch up in integrating all the knowledge on the modules that I've received to-date. I also want to focus my budget for this type of work on some complementary practices which, yes, do cost money too.
The data that we have does reflect that Pepin was acquitted of the charges brought against him. But we are interested in the Truth here, not in determining a legal case or delivering a sentence. Whether Pepin was acquitted or not has NOTHING to do with actually happened. Truth cannot be "decided" in court. A million retrials resulting in any verdict in any court of mankind is not going to change what actually happened.

Judge Price said:
Price said it was "probable that the conduct alleged in all counts occurred," but he wasn't convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. "There's a lack of strong corroboration," such as a date-stamp on a videotape of the sexual encounter, the judge said.
So basically, there wasn't enough direct, corroborating evidence to convict Pepin. The data we DO have however, is more than enough to infer to a high degree of probability that Pepin actually did do the things he was accused of.

Now, does manny's testimony contain data which would allow us to revise this inference? No. Instead, we get manny's story of his interactions with HBI, how great the HBI techniques are, and his personal feelings about how Pepin is the victim of a slanderous smear campaign.

manny said:
Well, that concludes my best attempt to provide to this thread that which many of you have been requesting. I hope that, at least, you will appreciate the time I put into addressing what I feel are very valid challenges to the matter of Eric Pepin's soul-cultivation methodologies; though I would have expected a bit more discernment regarding your quickness to perpetuate the sexual misconduct slander; you'll need a better excuse than "I read it on the Internet"
And you need to provide data rather than irrelevant testimony about your personal experience with HBI. Just because you were not molested by Pepin doesn't mean that others who claim to be, were not. And if you're a good looking guy, I'd suggest that you be very careful in your dealings with Pepin and HBI, lest you wind up in a similar position to Mr Smith.

Regarding Eric Pepin's day in court, I am reminded of an article I wrote some time ago entitled "The Cult of the Plausible Lie." I think that the principles elucidated there are applicable in this case:

As Robert Canup writes, we face a particular, even monstrous, problem in our world: that most of what we know or think we know is based on plausible lies. A person who is sincere and speaks the truth really has almost no chance against a plausible liar. Yes, I know that goes against everything we have been taught from childhood in the “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave,” but it is all too sadly true. We have been taught that "the Truth will always win" and that "anybody who believes a lie about you wasn’t your friend to begin with", and a whole host of other platitudes that actually would work in a different world: a world run by people who tell the truth!

But since our world is run by people who lie for a living, you might expect that they have set things up so that liars will always win. And that is, oh so sadly, the case.

Psychologist Anna Salter said:
“Our culture agrees on the signs of lying. Ask anyone how to tell if someone is lying and they will tell you that they can tell by “lack of eye contact, nervous shifting, or picking at one’s clothes.” Psychologist Anna Salter writes with dry humor: “This perception is so widespread I have had the fantasy that, immediately upon birth, nurses must take newborns and whisper in their ears, “Eye contact. It’s a sign of truthfulness.” [Anna C. Salter, Ph.D.]
The problem is, if there is a psychopath – or those with related characteropathies – who doesn’t know hot to keep good eye contact when lying, they haven’t been born. Eye contact is “universally known” to be a sign of truth-telling. The problem is liars will fake anything that it is possible to fake, so in reality, eye contact is absolutely NOT a sign of truth telling. Anna Salter writes:

Anna Salter said:
The man in front of me is a Southern good-ole-boy, the kind of man I grew up with and like. If anything, I have a weakness for the kind of Southern male who can “Sam Ervin” you, the Southern lawyer who wears red suspenders in court along with twenty-five-year-old cowboy boots and who turns his accent up a notch when he sees the northern expert witness coming. A “northern city slicker” on the witness stand will elicit the same kind of focused interest that a deer will in hunting season. You can have some very long days in court with men who wear red suspenders and start by telling you how smart you are and how simple and dumb they are.

I survey the man in front of me. I am not in court; I am in prison, and he is not an attorney but a sex offender, and he has bright eyes along with that slow, sweet drawl. He is a big man, slightly balding, and he has – I have to admit there is such a thing – an innocent face. …

My Southern good-ole-boy certainly knows eye contact is considered a sign of truthfulness. He describes his manner in getting away with close to 100 rapes of adults and children.

pedophile said:
The manner that I use when I was trying to convince somebody – even though I knew I was lying – I’d look them in the eye, but I wouldn’t stare at them. Staring makes people uncomfortable and that tends to turn them away, so I wouldn’t stare at them. But look at them in a manner that, you know, “look at this innocent face. How can you believe that I would do something like that?” It helps if you have a good command of the vocabulary where you can explain yourself in a way that is easily understood. Dress nice. Use fluent hand gestures that are not attacking in any way.

It’s a whole combination of things. It’s not any one thing that you can do. It’s a whole combination of things that your body gestures and things that say “Look, I’m telling you the truth, and I don’t know what these people are trying to pull. I don’t know what they’re trying to prove, but I haven’t done any of this. I don’t know why they’re doing this. You can check my records. I’ve got a good record. I’ve never been in any trouble like this. And I don’t know what’s going on. I’m confused.”…
As if reading my thoughts, he breaks off: “You don’t’ get this, Anna, do you?” he says. “You think that when I’m asked, “Did I do it?’ that’s when I lie. But I’ve been lying every day for the last twenty-five years.”

The practiced liar: a category of liar that even experts find it difficult to detect.

Problem is, even when dealing with people who are not practiced liars, such as college students who have volunteered for a research study of lying, most observers are not as good as they think in detecting deception. The research shows consistently that most people – even most professional groups such as police and psychologists – have no better than a chance ability to detect deception. Flipping a coin would serve as well.

pedophile said:
“If you want to deny something, make sure you’ve got an element of truth in it. It sounds like its true, and there are elements of it that are very true that can be checked out, and try to balance it so that it has more truth than lie, so that when it is checked out, even if the lie part does come out, there’s more truth there than lie.”
This man was good enough that once he got away with stomping out of court in a huff. He was accused by his sister of raping her and molesting her daughter on the same day. He played it as a preposterous charge. His sister, he told the court, had once accused his uncle of abuse. She was well known in the family for making up crazy charges like this. He said he wasn’t going to put up with such nonsense and walked out. No one stopped him, and no one ever called him back. The charge just disappeared somehow. He now admits that both charges were true.

It is likeability and charm that he wields as weapons.

The double life is a powerful tactic. There is the pattern of socially responsible behavior in public that causes people to drop their guard, and to turn a deaf ear to disclosures. The ability to charm, to be likeable, to radiate sincerity and truthfulness, is crucial to the successful liar – and they practice assiduously.

“Niceness is a decision,” writes Gavin De Becker in “The Gift of Fear.” It is a “strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait.”

Despite the decades of research that have demonstrated that people cannot reliably tell whose lying and who isn’t, most people believe they can. There is something so fundamentally threatening about the notion that we cannot really know whether or not to trust someone that it is very difficult to get anyone – clinicians, citizens, even police – to take such results seriously.

I stare at the child’s statement in front of me. It is a report by a social worker of a four-year-old’s account of sexual abuse by her father…. [excerpts of actual report not included; read the book]

I consider the report carefully. It is filled with detail. The words are a child’s words, the description exact. It is clear this child knows what oral sex is. It shows no signs of coaching. But why was this report sent to me with all the personal names and identifying information removed?

This report, I learn, surfaced in the middle of a custody fight. Dad was a wealthy businessman, successful, well respected, and well liked. Mom was an inpatient in a drug unit. My heart sinks. It does not matter how realistic this report is, how many signs of credibility, how few signs of coaching: In our system of justice, lawyers are for sale. Dad’s money is going to buy some very good lawyers indeed. It isn’t clear that Mom has either the money or the will to oppose him. And the child: she’ll be lucky to be represented at all.

I’ve thought many times that if I were accused of a crime, I’d rather have the better lawyer than be innocent.

But it seems that the court responds appropriately and appoints two independent psychologists to make a recommendation. Two independent chances to get it right. Two people who are not beholden to either side and who can ask for any test, even a polygraph, as part of their decision-making. Two people whose job it is to know something about deception and to sort out the true from the false.

But both psychologists opt instead for what is termed and “interactional assessment.” They simply watch the father interact with his daughter, looking for signs of bonding or, conversely, fear. They believe if he abused her, she will be afraid of him; if she loves him, he is innocent. [Anna C. Salter, Ph.D., Predators, Pedophiles, Rapists, and Other Sex Offenders]
There is no research or theory to support this approach. Sex offenders are notorious for bonding with a child and using that relationship to manipulate the child into having sex with them. In addition, a child might be afraid for very different reasons; the man may have struck her mother, but never laid a hand on her, sexually or otherwise. What justification is there for believing that one can tell from the interaction between child and alleged perpetrator whether the abuse has occurred or no?

Anna Salter stood up at a conference to challenge the “interactional assessment” approach and was silenced.

In this child’s case, the alleged perpetrator is her father. Surely she loves him, even if he did what she has disclosed. He has not used violence. She does not know that there is anything wrong with what he is doing. She is four years old.

One of the evaluators notes: “Observations of father and daughter indicate a very happy, spontaneous and positive relationship.”

Anna Salter said:
I sigh. As if that had anything to do with anything. The fact that she loves him doesn’t mean that he’s innocent or guilty. Then I find something in the case file that makes me sit up straight. “Of concern are the admissions by Mr. Jones that earlier in his life he had engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior with three children… These were the children of the woman he was living with at the time.

I stare at the note. This psychologist knew he’d done it before – in identical circumstances. It is a damning admission and surely means the psychologist should take this latest disclosure seriously. But he does not. Mr. Jones, it seems, is too charming, too rich, too respected. Despite knowing he is an admitted child-molester, both psychologists recommend that full custody go to Dad.

And there the story ends – in most cases.

But, in this case, the father’s attorney, so convinced that his client was innocent, sent him to a polygrapher. I know he thought he was innocent because he sent him to a very good polygrapher, not the one to whom an attorney would knowingly send a guilty client. This polygrapher is an unusually good interrogator and has a 98 % confession rate. He tells his clients:

Now the problem with the polygraph is that it can’t tell the difference between a big lie and a little lie and I would hate, I would truly hate for you to mess up your polygraph with something little that don’t amount to a hill of beans. So if there is anything, anything at all that you want to tell me before the polygraph, now’s the time so we can get it out of the way.

Under these instructions, the polygrapher found that Mr. Jones had quite a few things to say:

[I’m not including most of the confessions of this man, just selected and highly edited excerpts.]

polygrapher's report said:
They shower together and fondle one another. Sometimes he masturbates while they are in the shower and he encourages the child to “assist,” saying that this is “educational” for her. They sleep nude together and “sometimes things happen.” This man bought a vibrator for his four-year-old daughter. And so on.
All of these confessions were made BEFORE the polygraph. What is astonishing is that he fails the polygraph because he was withholding information on oral sex with his daughter.

I find a handwritten note from the polygrapher in the file. He faxed the report to the attorney for the father. It was a private polygraph, after all, requested by the father’s attorney and not one required by either of the independent evaluators (though they COULD have asked for it.] Within five minutes of faxing the report, the phone rang, “I’ve worked with you for twenty years,” the attorney said to him. “I hope I don’t have to remind you what privileged communication means.”

What privileged communication means is that this report fell under attorney-client privilege and therefore was suppressed. What is means is that the father’s attorney was under no requirement whatsoever to release the report to the court, and, by law, the polygrapher could not. …

What it means is that the only reports the court saw in this case were by the two psychologists who thought they could tell whether the father way lying by interviewing him and that they could tell if the child was abused by seeing if she loved her father. What it means is that, in 1996, full custody of this child went to her father where it has remained ever since.

The polygrapher, anguished by the outcome, sent the case to me after removing the real names, with the hope that I can use it for “educational purposes.”

Mr. Jones was a well-respected member of the community with a crazy wife. And he was so sincere. Clearly, the child loved him dearly. Such a man is hardly likely to be a child molester, now is he? [Anna C. Salter]
Another similar case has a report about the father:

report quoted by Anna Salter said:
Since the father denied the allegations, it is difficult to determine the identity of the perpetrator. In support of the father’s truthfulness… he was very forthright during the interview and testing procedures. For example, he acknowledged having difficulty in his sexual relations at time, and he openly admitted that he had a possible drinking problem …
Because he admitted some problems, the psychologist concluded that he would not lie about other, more serious problems! Because he admitted problems that were legal, she concluded he would not lie about activity that was illegal! That is just rationalization; the truth is that the psychologist just simply believed the lies.

One clinical evaluator noted in a report about a sexual predator that he “stayed back to close one of the doors, a very solicitous gesture that, as it turned out, is consistent with his general pattern of behavior.” The report went on to describe him as “kind, thoughtful, and considerate, a person who seemed to take pleasure in helping and caring.”

Instead of concluding that the man was good at creating a front, the psychologist concluded that the man was not a brutal, violent, serial rapist. Fortunately, there was considerable evidence that he was, and he was convicted. In this case, the court got it right even if the psychologist was out to lunch.

In another case, a very well known psychologist evaluated a three month old infant with bite marks all over him. Only two people had the opportunity to inflict the bite marks in the specific time frame, and they were the parents. Suspicion centered on the father. The psychologist who was asked to evaluate him reported how tenderly he wiped the infant’s nose in the evaluation, how carefully he held the baby. Based on the man’s behavior in the interview, she exonerated him and recommended custody remain with the parents. Two years later, he killed the infant. [From Predators, Pedophiles, Rapists, and Other Sex Offenders by Anna C. Salter]

This is an issue that will never die. It seems impossible to convince people that private behavior cannot be predicted from public behavior. Kind, nonviolent individuals behave well in public, but so do predators, rapists, murderers, pedophiles and COINTELPRO agents who help to shape the culture in which we live. No, they weren't always called COINTELPRO, but the principle is the same. It has been used since time immemorial. The earliest written records we have are of "clappers" in the audiences of theaters in ancient Greece. What do you think the term "Greek Chorus" means? We have exactly that in the present day in the form of the mainstream media. Did you think that, with the power of the internet to reach millions of people that the "powers that be" would have ignored the necessity of installing a "Greek Chorus" on the net? "The chorus offered background and summary information to help the audience follow the performance, commented on main themes, and showed how an ideal audience might react to the drama as it was presented. They also represent the general populace of any particular story." Discussion boards are ideal formats for "Greek Choruses" as they can be vectored to "show how the ideal audience ought to react," and to "represent the general populace." In this way, the illusion can be created of a concensus when, in fact, such a concensus may not exist.

Polls are another example of Greek Choruses or Clappers.

Consider our legal system. Here you first have to ask yourself just what kind of people were in charge of the creation and shaping of our “social norms.” Now sure, everybody will agree with the sayings that “you can’t trust a politician,” or “power corrupts” and so on, but have you ever really stopped to think about that and what it must really mean?

Robert Canup said:
Most people have heard of Ted Bundy; the serial killer who was executed in Florida several years ago. Not many people are aware of the fact that Bundy was studying to become a prosecutor, and that eventually he hoped to become a judge. Those that do know that fact see it as some strangely ironic twist - an inexplicable quirk in Bundy's bizarre makeup. It never seems to occur to most people that the perfect place for a psychopathic serial killer to hide in society is as a prosecutor or a judge; but I assure you that it occurs to the Psychopaths of the world. I would estimate that about 10% of the prosecutors and judges in the United States are in fact, S.A.Ps. The ONLY difference between them and Ted Bundy is that they were able to control outward signs of their Psychopathy until they achieved their goal of being in a position of authority. [...]

John had one overriding dream; to become a judge. Here was the greatest reward possible for a psychopath: to put on the royal robes of the judiciary - to become a demigod - to have others plead to Him and beg His indulgence, to have everyone rise in awe and respect when He entered the room, for His word to literally be law, to be able to create an almost endless amount of human misery, just because He could, to punish summarily anyone who, quite correctly, displayed contempt for Him, to have the power of life and death over people, to be granted the only royal title available in the United States: "Your Honor".

How brilliant of his predecessors to slip that one past the watchful eyes of the founding fathers - who sought to establish an egalitarian society free of the mental disease of royalty. There are, he reflected, no "Your Majesties" or "Your Excellencies" in this country, but we quietly fooled everyone into accepting "Your Honors".

'John House slept soundly. In his dreams he and his kind had finally succeeded in reshaping the world into the image they wanted: the dark ages had returned. Once more the plague swept unchallenged over the country side. John could hear the voice crying out in the mud street in front of his hovel: "Bring out your dead!"

John was in his glory. This was life the way it was supposed to be. He was the new Torquemada: randomly selecting anyone who was unscarred by smallpox for a session on the rack; since anyone who had escaped disfigurement had obviously signed a pact with the devil. Here at last was an era where John and his kind could feel good by comparison: with so much misery around him John knew he was better off than those he could see dying in squalor and ignorance. John reveled in the suffering of all about him. He did what he could to make that suffering worse; no agony was so great that John House could not add to it.'

It is difficult to believe that huge parts of society have been built with the guidance of the mentally ill; but they have been. The average person is heavily invested in doing things the way Psychopaths want them done, and is unaware that the things that the S.A.Ps have them doing are psychopathic. [Robert Canup, The Socially Adept Psychopath]
So, consider the idea that the ideas behind our social and cultural systems – including the legal system – were created by people whose agenda was to control society so that they could stay on top. And think about all the many ways they might go about doing that.

These are the same people who set up the legal system so that people would “get what they deserved”

Now, just think about that for a moment.

Imagine that you are a person at the top of the heap who knows that if you really set up a system where people got what they really deserved, you, yourself, would be instantly replaced - out the door in an instant! And so, if you are not just intent on staying on top and holding power, but cunning also, you will do everything in your power to insure that you and your kind are in charge of setting up that system, and that you remain in charge of it. You would make certain that evil was blended into the social and cultural concepts so seamlessly that nobody would ever notice.

And that is, quite literally, what happened. The individuals “at the top of the heap,” who had gotten there by being the most vile and rapacious, then set about figuring out ways to deceive the masses all the while keeping their favor and adulation. They knew they had to make laws to keep order, and they knew they had to make those laws seem fair and reasonable to the masses of people or they would lose control. Losing control was the thing to be feared as anyone who has read The Prince by Machiavelli realizes.

And so, Machiavellian manipulators at the top of the heap were deeply involved in the formation of our cultural and social norms, including our legal system.

In the earliest days of this “legal system” there was a form of “justice” called “trial by ordeal”. An example of trial by ordeal was holding a red hot iron to a defendant's tongue. The plausible lie used to justify this behavior was: if the defendant was telling a lie they would have a dry mouth and would be burned by the iron - while a truthful person would have a moist mouth and would be protected.

The fact is a NORMAL person who is telling the truth would most definitely have a dry mouth from fear, while a psychopath, who is incapable of feeling fear, would be the one with the moist mouth!!!

Now, just think about that for a few minutes.

Now, our current legal system is descended from “trial by ordeal” - and really isn't much different though it is much cleverer and simply not as obviously evil as that one was. You have already read a few examples above of just how the system works. As Anna Salter said, if she was accused of a crime, she would rather have a good lawyer than be innocent. That is a truly sad statement on our reality. Here’s a simple way to understand our legal system, adapted from the writings of Robert Canup:

Suppose that you are on a team that is engaged in a game and you discover that:

The other team gets to make up the rules.
The referee plays for the other team.
One of the rules is that you are not allowed to score - the other team is at no risk
Only you can be scored against.

That is precisely how our social, cultural, and legal systems operate.

The conditions of our world are designed to create the maximum chance that evil will prevail and the good people will be punished by being good and telling the truth.

Punishing normal, decent, good people involves more than just creating a social system that acts against them. The system is designed to insure that these good people are subjected to as much pain as possible for the simple fact of being good and honest. An obvious example of punishing the innocent may be found in the way the victim in a rape case is treated; their reputations are dragged through the dirt - all in the name of justice of course. Note the case quoted above, of the fellow who raped his sister and her daughter and walked out of court after accusing her of being a mental case.

The system that controls our thinking is set up like the legal system. People are taught to assume that, in any conflict, one side is lying one way, and the other is lying the other way, and people can just form opinions about which side is telling the truth. They are taught that the truth will lie somewhere between two extremes.

That is a wonderfully plausible lie.

Canup suggests that, to see the evil behind that plausible lie, we must make a different assumption: let us assume that in such cases, one side is innocent, honest, and tells the truth. It is obvious that lying does an innocent defendant no good; what lie can he tell? If he is innocent, the only lie he can tell is to falsely confess "I did it."

On the other hand, lying is nothing but good for the liar. He can declare that “I didn't do it” and accuse another of doing it; all the while the innocent person is saying “I didn't do it” and is telling the truth.

The truth - when twisted by good liars, can always make an innocent person look bad - especially if he is honest and admits that he has faults. If someone is telling the simple truth, and the other side is lying through their teeth, the basic assumption that the truth lies between the testimony of the two sides always shifts the advantage to the lying side and away from the side telling the truth. Under most circumstances, this shift put together with the fact that the truth is going to also be twisted in such a way as to bring detriment to the innocent person, results in the advantage always resting in the hands of liars.

Canup points out that, even the simple act of giving testimony under oath is useless. If a person is a liar, swearing an oath means nothing to that person. However, swearing an oath acts strongly on a serious, truthful witness. Again, the advantage is placed on the side of the liars.

Proof is a familiar concept to those used to conventional logical thinking. However what passes for proof in cultural, social, and even legal terms often bears only a superficial resemblance to what would be considered proof by those who really use their minds to think.

For example: in formal mathematics, proof rules are established - postulates are set out and a structure is built based on the postulates and the theorem. Mathematical proof is pretty much inarguable: once a proof is accepted as true it is added to the pool of known truths.

In legal proof there is a set of rules and a theory which the prosecution presents, and attempts to prove the theory by clever argumentation rather than facts. Truth is not the objective. Getting other people to believe the theory IS the objective. However, the prosecution's theory is whatever the prosecutor believes that he can get away with based on what is known about the case, or what he can PREVENT from being known. What legal 'proof' does is serve as a structure for convincing a group of people of the guilt of a person, about whom they know nothing.

There is another significant difference: Mathematical proofs are judged by experts in the particular case who are free to study any and all information about the case. Legal 'proof' is judged by people who are guaranteed to be ignorant of the case, who are only allowed to study the information presented during the formal trial, and who are not even allowed to consult the texts for what the rules say.

Our culture is so permeated with this “legal argument” system that it extends into our daily experience: the one who is the slickest at using the structure for convincing a group of people of something, is the one who is believed. Very few people take the time to obtain hard facts by carefully studying any and all information about a situation.

What we see something here that is set up to deceive people by presenting a familiar structure which, upon examination, is a sham. And again, the advantages fall to the hands of the liars.

As Canup points out, in a courtroom, juries are prohibited by law from knowing anyone involved in the trial. If the defendant is a good person who is being set up and framed, people who know him well and who have had much opportunity to interact with him over a long period of time and observe him would have much more trouble accepting lies told about him. If the jurors knew the prosecutor and knew him to be a bullying liar, they might have trouble believing the lies he was telling. If the jurors knew the defendant, and know him to be a trouble making villain they might be more likely to convict him.

By the same standards, if a person who is guilty is accused of a crime that he DID commit, as we have seen above, it is all too easy to get off. Corrupt lawyers, ignorant "experts," and blind judges let guilty people literally get away with murder all the time.

But, none of the conditions conducive to finding the TRUTH prevail in a courtroom even if we have been brainwashed to think that we have the "best legal system in the world." It is not much different than "Trial by Ordeal," only the hot poker has been replaced by a system that works as effectively to the advantage of liars.

Here then we see the worst feature of the law: it is designed to make the world safe for evil people. In effect the law serves to take the horns away from the bulls, while leaving the lions their teeth and claws. Massive, overwhelming, advantage is placed in the hands of liars. Indeed, without the legal system insuring their safety, the world would be a much more difficult place for evil people.

Everyone knows somewhere deep inside, that there is something not right about our world. In fact, at the present moment, it could hardly be worse. But most people spend their lives avoiding that fact at all cost. The brutal truth is that the our social, cultural, and legal systems are all about making people helpless then hammering them without mercy - all the while involving everyone in the illusion that right prevails.

This is an issue that will never die. It seems impossible to convince people that private behavior cannot be predicted from public behavior. Kind, nonviolent individuals behave well in public, but so do predators, rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and COINTELPRO agents who operate largely to shape and vector “social norms,” or “official culture.”

Laura said:
Regarding Eric Pepin's day in court, I am reminded of an article I wrote some time ago entitled "The Cult of the Plausible Lie." I think that the principles elucidated there are applicable in this case:
Absolutely. And, I just wanted to mention that christx11's post hit the nail on the head throughout - fascinating what happens to manipulation, when dragged into the light of day.

Hello,

I'm sorry my attempts at treating this board with respect were not received as they were intended. I came on this board as an independent and gave personal testimonial--including specifics--in good faith that civil and balanced discourse is encouraged and expected here. I also enabled as full transparency of character as one can find on the Internet (I have provided my full name, my picture, and various links) and have not been met in kind; except by Laura, the creator of this platform. I have taken no different of a tone with this group than I take with all of my posts on the Internet, related to Eric Pepin or not.

It is my position that your current foundation for discussing this matter is based on extremely biased articles that were originally published by the Oregonian (OregonLive.com) and currently cannot be found on their site...they come up on a search, but when you click the link, the pages are blank (please let me know if they are showing up for you and I will see if I can fix that on my end). In whatever ways you want to dissect and discredit my contribution to this dialogue, the fact remains that your argument that Eric Pepin is guilty of sexual misconduct is based on a foundation of proverbial sand.

If you want court transcripts on which to legitimately base your attacks on Eric Pepin and Higher Balance Institute, please call 503-846-8259 and speak with the records clerk about the case identified as follows:

CASE #: C061748CR
JUDGE: Price
DATES: 5/15,16,17,18,22,23/2007

The clerk will confirm that this is the Eric Pepin case and that there are 34 hours of audio. The transcripts are contained on two (2) CD's at $10 per CD. It is on a compressed audio format and there are instructions that come with them. This will involve installing a special plugin to listen...the instructions will come with the discs.

Make the $20 check payable to the "The State of Oregon" and include the case number (#C061748CR) in the memo field.

Mail it with a shipping name and address to:

Washington County Circuit Court
ATTN: FTR
150 N 1st Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97124

It will only take you a few weeks to receive the recorded transcripts. Give it a listen and then draw your conclusions based on first-hand experience of the events as they actually transpired in court.

Yes, it is true, I have posted to a few sites that are perpetuating the slander related to Eric Pepin's alleged sexual misconduct. That is because I value the work that he is doing and am doing what I can to bring some balance to the conversation.

I'm doing my best to approach you to discuss this rationally and a request that mutual respect be honored. I'm not trying to manipulate anyone with my particular approach ... I'm trying to engage in constructive dialogue around this issue. I understand how you might read my tone and have your suspicions raised...I agree that it is not typical of the tone taken on many boards. But, in replacement of "manipulative," I offer you an alternative term that you might consider: "diplomatic." You don't know me and I don't know you. I'm trying to be as respectful as I can of you on your land as it were, to engage this topic. Please accept my apologies if this came across as disingenuous. The internet is a tricky place to connect, but so much good is potential if we take these extra steps to qualify ourselves to each other.

If mutual respect is not to be found here, please just tell me honestly and clearly and I will go away.

Thank you...

manny - no offense intended at all, but have you read laura and ryan's posts above? We're not interested in what occurred in the courts, we're interested in what Pipen did to young men in his employ. Ergo, getting the court transcripts and giving them a listen won't really add to the discussion. Granted - it would give us access to what officialdom had access to, but if you follow the thread from the beginning, we don't need it to conclude with a relatively high probability that Pipen committed sexual misconduct. That he manipulates others with lies and deceit, thus contaminating anything he produces, esp if its purpose is 'esoteric evolution'.

You are correct in that the Oregon Live link is no longer working, which to me, suggests someone is pulling strings to get such stories removed. Call me paranoid. I did find this bit however: _http://www.religionnewsblog.com/15312 which seems like a retell of the original article.

The biggest problem with your presentation here on the forum - it lacks hard data. IE you dont give us any evidence these allegations are false - other then referring us to officialdom, which isn't perfect to say the least. You tell us your story, how you found HBI and your results with their material. That's great! But it doesn't give us any reason, or rather, any evidence to suggest the charges were false.

I did read and understand those posts, Cyre2067. And, of course, no offense taken--I'm trying to achieve clarity here. If I was easily offended, I would not have even jumped into the conversation.

The key point of my posts, if they have been read and understood, is that the only basis of the discussion on this or any other board of Eric Pepin's alleged sexual misconduct refers to the Oregonian articles, which were obvious examples of unethical and biased journalism; and on top of that, entirely untrue. I repeat that I submit that not one shred of these articles can be considered true. And I am aware of no other accusations of this nature that have been leveled at Eric towards which we can direct our discussion.

So, what of substance is being discussed on this thread? How, in the judgement of the participants in this conversation, do these now-retracted examples of poor if not unethical journalism hold more weight than court transcripts? It baffles my mind, given the nature of most of the conversations in this forum, that any of you think you would be treated differently if you were in Eric Pepin's position. Do you think that the prosecuting attorney on Eric Pepin's case would treat any of you differently, based on what I've read on this and other threads, if he had a chance to take you out of commission?

In regards to his methods that are so rigorously being attacked on this thread, who engaged in this conversation has actually directly evaluated them? I've already gone on record stating my opinion of their methods of bringing this material to market. You're not going to get any arguments from me that they are cheesy and over the top. But I can't say, given my personal and immersive experience of the methods, that they are lying. I have already outlined my experience in as many detail as I am willing to spare the time give at this time. I've put several hours into this so far. You are either going to believe I'm coming to the table with all my cards showing or you're not. If you are inherently distrustful of the situation, then I'm at a loss as to how to bridge that.

I've already been very vocal with Higher Balance Institute representatives that I believe their current marketing methods are negatively impacting their organizational identity. There are many within the organization that agree as do many of the people who consider themselves to be committed students of the methods. The choice, as I understand it was driven by Eric's belief that these methods are the only way of getting noticed in an intensely competitive personal-development market. I can't say that I still agree with those choices, but they have worked. The biggest problem that I have with them is that there is a great lack of congruence between the identity that is portrayed by these choices and what I encountered once I pushed passed it and began interacting with the staff and other subscribers. To me, sacrificing congruence for conversions is never a good choice.

Anyway, that's it for now. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you,

Manny

Apologies, though I indirectly answered your question, I did not do so directly:

Cyre2067 said:
But it doesn't give us any reason, or rather, any evidence to suggest the charges were false
I am under the impression that anyone in this country charged of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Despite many of the ways in which this country fails to live up to an ideal society, this is a pretty great thing. Are you under the impression that any time arrests are made and charges are filed in court that the person must be guilty? There is a guy that I used to know who was targeted in a very similar way and his life and career was ruined because he was an assistant principal. He was absolutely innocent and the courts found him to be such beyond a shadow of a doubt and with a consequent admission afterward by the girl upon whose single testimony the entire case was based.

Would you like for this to happen to you? It is so easy, sitting at home on our computers to read of another human being going through this situation and lightly perpetuate the slander knowing absolutely nothing, I repeat NOTHING, about the facts of the case. That is why I presented this thread with the actual steps required to get in touch with those facts by listening to the court proceedings. But, that takes too much time, doesn't it? It's easier to postulate a corrupted legal process and continue perpetuating the slander. What are your aims here? What is the point of your discussions on SOTT?

Thank you,

Manny

manny said:
The key point of my posts, if they have been read and understood, is that the only basis of the discussion on this or any other board of Eric Pepin's alleged sexual misconduct refers to the Oregonian articles, which were obvious examples of unethical and biased journalism; and on top of that, entirely untrue. I repeat that I submit that not one shred of these articles can be considered true. And I am aware of no other accusations of this nature that have been leveled at Eric towards which we can direct our discussion.
Are you aware that the basis for the articles was that Pepin was indicted by a grand jury? A media outlet wouldn't be doing it's job if it didn't report on it. Do you question the authenticity of the grand jury, and by connection, the police detective and district attorney who jointly handled the prosecution of Pepin? No, you are wrong when you say that the only basis of discussion on this board refers to the Oregonian article. The article would not hold any merit if not for the indictment by a grand jury. I'd say that is an accusation that has been leveled at Pepin.

Manny said:
How, in the judgement of the participants in this conversation, do these now-retracted examples of poor if not unethical journalism hold more weight than court transcripts?
You are confusing things. The articles were based off of what was accurate at the time of their reporting. Even though Pepin was ultimately found not guilty does not make the original articles examples of "poor and unethical journalism". Doth thou protesteth too much?

Manny said:
Do you think that the prosecuting attorney on Eric Pepin's case would treat any of you differently, based on what I've read on this and other threads, if he had a chance to take you out of commission?
Well my friend, THAT is getting dangerously close to slander. Do you have proof that the DA was targeting Pepin unfairly or with malice in his heart?

Manny said:
In regards to his methods that are so rigorously being attacked on this thread, who engaged in this conversation has actually directly evaluated them? I've already gone on record stating my opinion of their methods of bringing this material to market. You're not going to get any arguments from me that they are cheesy and over the top. But I can't say, given my personal and immersive experience of the methods, that they are lying.
Of course not. When one is emotionally identified with anything, more than anything they convince themselves of the validity of whatever topic they are involved in.

Manny said:
I have already outlined my experience in as many detail as I am willing to spare the time give at this time. I've put several hours into this so far. You are either going to believe I'm coming to the table with all my cards showing or you're not. If you are inherently distrustful of the situation, then I'm at a loss as to how to bridge that.
Why should it bridged? Why can't you just let people live and let live? Do you have any kind of investment in making sure that not only others understand the inherent greatness in HBI but that no one criticizes it? You've given your statement, and unfortunately for you, you have been found wanting.

Manny said:
I've already been very vocal with Higher Balance Institute representatives that I believe their current marketing methods are negatively impacting their organizational identity. There are many within the organization that agree as do many of the people who consider themselves to be committed students of the methods. The choice, as I understand it was driven by Eric's belief that these methods are the only way of getting noticed in an intensely competitive personal-development market.
Sounds as though he sold his soul to the devil in order to get the most people interested in his program. Why should numbers matter to someone who is only concerned with personal development? Sounds pretty superficial to me.

Manny said:
I can't say that I still agree with those choices, but they have worked. The biggest problem that I have with them is that there is a great lack of congruence between the identity that is portrayed by these choices and what I encountered once I pushed passed it and began interacting with the staff and other subscribers. To me, sacrificing congruence for conversions is never a good choice.
Whether or not they have worked is up for debate. If you read this entire thread you find posts arguing both for and against the methods and teachings of HBI. I don't think a statement from one person can be used as the basis for the credibility of HBI. Especially someone such as you who seems to have so much invested, emotionally, in the program.

newspaper article said:
A Washington County Circuit judge called the leader of a metaphysical Internet sales company manipulative and controlling and his testimony unbelievable, even as he acquitted him Wednesday of charges that he had sex with an underage boy.
Judge Price said:
Price said it was "probable that the conduct alleged in all counts occurred," but he wasn't convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. "There's a lack of strong corroboration," such as a date-stamp on a videotape of the sexual encounter, the judge said.
Newspaper article said:
Andrew Erwin, deputy district attorney, called Higher Balance nothing more than a sex cult run by a "snake oil" salesman who preys on the troubled.
Manny, are you saying that the above quotes are false? Are you saying, unequivocally, that Judge Price did NOT make those comments and the Andrew Erwin did not say what he was reported to say?

If that is what you are saying, please provide the data.

manny said:
I am under the impression that anyone in this country charged of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Despite many of the ways in which this country fails to live up to an ideal society, this is a pretty great thing.
Well, surely you must be aware that despite what a legal court system finds as its ruling, whether or not someone actually is guilty of the offense that they are being tried for is an entirely different matter. The legal system in the US, for example, is a twisted version of providing justice to those who have harmed. It is screwed. Their are numerous examples of this. In my opinion, the main reason you are so pleased with the outcome of the case is due to your connection to the defendant.

manny said:
Are you under the impression that any time arrests are made and charges are filed in court that the person must be guilty?
No, but the pendulum swings both ways. A legal find of not guilty does not insure one against civil cases. Nor in the court of public opinion. You seem to be clinging to the legal definitions of guilt because it serves your purpose.

manny said:
There is a guy that I used to know who was targeted in a very similar way and his life and career was ruined because he was an assistant principal. He was absolutely innocent and the courts found him to be such beyond a shadow of a doubt and with a consequent admission afterward by the girl upon whose single testimony the entire case was based.
I fail to see the connection with what we are talking about. Do you claim that Pepin was unfairly targeted by law enforcement authorities and brought to court on charges of spurious claims? If so, do you have any proof of this?

manny said:
It is so easy, sitting at home on our computers to read of another human being going through this situation and lightly perpetuate the slander knowing absolutely nothing, I repeat NOTHING, about the facts of the case. That is why I presented this thread with the actual steps required to get in touch with those facts by listening to the court proceedings. But, that takes too much time, doesn't it? It's easier to postulate a corrupted legal process and continue perpetuating the slander. What are your aims here? What is the point of your discussions on SOTT?
Testy, aren't we? Talk about slander. You are claiming that the law enforcement authorities intentionally went after Pepin. You better have some proof of that if the Oregon police get wind of your accusations. You want facts? Pepin was indicted by a grand jury. Do you think that grand juries are convened all the time just for a vendettta? No, you need pretty strong evidence to do that. The authorities just can't create a person who claims to have been sexually abused by Pepin. Something happened between the two of them, and something fishy is going on at the Higher Balance Institute. That much is clear. And THAT is the reason for the discussion here. You don't like it? Go somewhere else and complain.

manny said:
He was absolutely innocent and the courts found him to be such beyond a shadow of a doubt....
This would not be accurate. Judges and juries are only charged with finding a defendant "Guilty" or "Not-Guilty" of the crime of which they are accused; they are not charged with establishing whether or not someone is "Innocent" of that crime. A verdict of "Not Guilty" does not mean that the individual has been found "Innocent" of the crime -- only that the prosecutor has failed to establish that the individual is "Guilty" of the crime "beyond a reasonable doubt".

In the case of Mr. Pepin, it would appear that the Judge considered his guilt "probable", but did not believe that the prosecutor had succeeded in establishing that guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt". Therefore, he could not -- legally speaking -- find him "Guilty". The only alternative was a finding of "Not-Guilty" -- which is NOT synonymous with "Innocent".

Back
Top Bottom