Economic Situation ?

name

Jedi Master
Irrespective of what ppl celebrate in these last weeks of the year - Christmas, Eid al Adha or Chanukkah, the celebration has been co-opted by commerce into making up for all they didnt sell during the year - Christmas is today little more than an orgy of consumerism on credit to most people.

Here in Austria it has become a tradition to see streets and shops packed with ppl going crazy buying stuff to give to family or friends. It used to be difficult to move through the masses in Mariahilferstrasse or the inner city of Vienna during these days. Smart people would wait until January for the discount sales.

This year things are different, at least as I see it.

My impression is that sales are not going stronger than during a normal Saturday, many shops remain almost devoid of visitors, but what tops things off is that many shops have already now started to advertise sales at discount prices: even H&M, which sells cheap stuff, is advertising sales at discounts of up to 70%, and this started about a week ago so far I am aware of it. I think that this is telling about the economic situation of the ppl in this once prosperous country. And, I am also missing the Italian tourists which normally start arriving here during the days before Christmas, whatever that means.

How do things look where you live ?

Back
Top Bottom