ear pain after swimming.

realitybugll

Jedi Council Member
I think I might have what's called "swimmers ear". which is a bacteria infection in the ear. I swam in the bay almost every weekday for the last two weeks, which is much more swimming than I ever did before.

About 3 hours after swimming the pain started to develop and seems like it is getting worse over time... So I will probably see a doctor tomorrow, but I want to see if anyone had this, and recommendations on what to do.

wetroof said:
I think I might have what's called "swimmers ear". which is a bacteria infection in the ear. I swam in the bay almost every weekday for the last two weeks, which is much more swimming than I ever did before.

About 3 hours after swimming the pain started to develop and seems like it is getting worse over time... So I will probably see a doctor tomorrow, but I want to see if anyone had this, and recommendations on what to do.

I think a few drops of vinegar in the ears before and after swimming may help prevent the infections and clear up existing ones. If you let it go too long, you may need antibiotics.

Last night I dripped some vinegar in the ear. Also I took 5g vitamin C orally. My ear feels perfect this morning. I'm thinking about taking a preventative measure from now on. primarily to make sure all the water is out of my ear after swimming. and possibly to use vinegar before I swim.

I'm really glad this didn't get worse. last night the pain was increasing steadily, I didn't know what to expect in the morning. My brother had swimmers ear for a few weeks and it was really painful for him, many years ago.

wetroof said:
I swam in the bay almost every weekday for the last two weeks, which is much more swimming than I ever did before.

Which 'bay'?

It's either called Arcata or Humboldt bay in northern California.

I got interested in cold water swimming from Jack Kruse. the temperature varies widely though. weather.gov gets water temp data from humboldt bay and the temperature can vary 10 degrees F in a day. from 53-63 degrees based on the tide mostly I think.

before I looked up the data, I was very confused why some days the water feels warm, some days cold. I thought it could be my bodies reaction to the water, but it's the water temp itself that varies.

Fwiw I haven't, in years, swam without ear tampons (or is it plugs you call them?) at the risk of pain and inflammation. I looooove swimming, and love swimming under water, but this summer for example, after I had an ear infection I wasn't able to swim under water even with tampons/plugs as my left ear (it's always the left one) would instantly say "No!"

I know that as a child I suffered from rhinitis, and so does my father. I was treated for several years until I was about 18, when most symptoms were gone. Since then I have been having less and less symptoms, the only thing telling me that there is something there being my inability to handle being under water without tampons.

The year where I got the worst ever ear infection was when I swam every day for 2 weeks with a lot of diving. The diving was the real problem, not the swimming, and that put me in bed for at least a week...
Where I'm from, by the coast, it is known that if you swim and dive a lot you can be prone to ear infections, at least that's what I've been hearing since being a child. But then again, it might have been something from the sea in that region.

I can't remember what I've taken in the past for my ears, I haven't had a sea related inflammation for a long time because I prevent it with tampons/plugs (you can also use that as a preventative measure) and am aware of the first signs of ear popping or pain.

Not sure whether this is of much help wetroof, but here's again fwiw. Also, you mentioned that you did a great deal of swimming that was unusual for you, that is likely to have triggered it, but had you also swam in that bay before?

Gertrudes said:
Fwiw I haven't, in years, swam without ear tampons (or is it plugs you call them?)

Yes, plugs. You'll get funny looks saying the other.

When I was a kid and had constant swimmer's ear problems, the doctor told my mom to just mix vinegar and alcohol half and half and put a few drops in after swimming. It helped, but if I forgot, I paid for it. I also used earplugs which helped some.

How to Remove Water From Your Ear​

Story at a glance:
  • Using the laws of gravity, a vacuum and evaporation are two ways to get rid of water in your ears
  • Never use a pen, bobby pin, crochet needles or even your fingers in your ears in an effort to extract water as it could perforate your eardrum or cause an infection
  • Swimmer’s ear is the most common type of ear infection in adults and should not be confused with otitis media, the common type of childhood ear infection
  • Pain, inflammation, crusty skin and a watery discharge are all symptoms of swimmer’s ear, caused most often by contaminated water in swimming pools, hot tubs, water parks, fountains, lakes, rivers or oceans

Attachments

• remove-water-from-ear-pdf.pdf
    154.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom