Dopesick

candasiri

Jedi Master
I've been watching this with my husband and have to say that it's really good. Basically, all the data manipulation, doctor manipulation, BS studies, BS talking points, FDA manipulation & cronyism, massive spikes in death and destruction, has already been done by big Pharma before the COVID jab! It was the OxyContin epidemic brought to you by Purdue Pharma, masterminded by Richard Sackler, head of the Sackler family who owns Purdue Pharma.

Hulu's drama series is based on Beth Macy's book (which I have not read). The story is that Richard Sackler wanted a blockbuster drug to add to Purdue Pharma's revenue stream. They already had much success with Valium for "psychic stress." So he started a "public health" campaign to get pain recognized as the "5th vital sign" infiltrating hospitals, pain societies and key doctors. Then, he created OxyContin and marketed as "low potential for addiction, long-acting" pill used to treat moderate to severe pain. Of course, we all know now that those claims are blatant lies.

Got the FDA so sign off that it had a low potential for addiction. Heavily marketed in places of the country where people had highly physical jobs such as Appalachia and Maine. Doctors were fooled into believing that less than 1% of people who would take this drug would go on to develop an addiction to it. That little falsity was based on 5 sentence 1980 NEJM letter by an MD who had no idea that his little informal study he did in the late 1970s that showed from his cursory data that only 1% of hospitalized patients became addicted to opioids. This MD did not even know that Sackler was using this blurb as "evidence" that OxyContin had a low potential for abuse.

Have not finished the series yet but it is told through the perspective of Richard Sackler, a OxyContin drug rep, a country doctor, a female miner, a DEA agent, assistant attorneys general (who actually have integrity).

One has to wonder what the fates have in store for the heads of Pfizer and Moderna, but people are really not aware of the damage that the vaccines have done yet. Purdue has declared bankruptcy, but the Sacklers are not being criminally charged:
The Sacklers Get to Walk Away

Here's a preview of the series:

Yes I watched it. I had an aunt and uncle who got on oxycontin when it pretty much came out. They had chronic back pain and it was so expensive at the time they blew through 20,000 just to keep getting it until my aunt had passed away in 2003. Then my uncle in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom