Do antidepressants actually worsen depression?

kalibex

Dagobah Resident
Top mental health professionals have always known that depression might not be caused by serotonin levels alone, but the public never got the memo. Professor Sir Simon Wessely, President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, says that SSRIs are indeed helpful in the treatment of depression when combined with psychological treatments, but added that “most researchers have long since moved on from the old serotonin model.” Further, reports say that 70% of people on antidepressants don’t have depression.

_http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/doctors-claim-antidepressants-may-be-worsening-depression-not-treating-it/_

Thanks, kalibex, for posting.

It's a sad fact, that medical practitioner's only answers to "depression" are drugs - no look into diet, inflammatory problems or what's going on in their lives. A lot of people are feeling the oppression that our culture puts on them, they struggle with the rat-race. So instead of using that as a flag to look at what is wrong, to work through the dissociation, they take a pill that will blunt these feelings.

So in line with Dabrowski's work, that disintegration can and must be used for positive reintegration, they stifle these feelings with a drug. In this sense I think that these drugs will only deepen these dark feelings over time, as the underlying problems are not addressed.

My 2 cents.

In my experience I've never seen an anti-depressant work for anyone in the long term. Patients may report an increased feeling of well being shortly after they start a new drug (placebo effect and wishful thinking, I suspect) but their usual depressed way of thinking quickly returns and becomes more entrenched. Some admit that they still feel poorly while taking the drugs but think it will be even worse if they took nothing. How sad.

Just How Far Will the FDA Go to Protect a Bad Drug?​

Story at a glance:
  • The SSRI antidepressants are some of the most harmful (but most profitable) medications on the market, and this was shown throughout their clinical trials
  • In turn, once they hit the market, the FDA was overwhelmed with a deluge of adverse reactions being reported and the public demanding the drugs be investigated
  • Remarkably, rather than address these issues, the FDA for decades did everything it could to cover up what was happening and protect the SSRIs
  • The pharmaceutical executive who got Prozac (the first SSRI) to market testified that this required a variety of criminal tactics (e.g., overt bribery). Likewise, the Bush family was in bed with Prozac’s manufacturer and stocked their administrations with executives from the company, which further helps to explain the FDA’s unscrupulous conduct

Attachments

• ssri-antidepressants-fda-pdf.pdf
    371.5 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom