DIA baggage claim gargoyle

anart

A Disturbance in the Force
I just thought I'd put up a picture (or 2) of the gargoyle in the West terminal baggage claim area at Denver International Airport.

gargoyle.jpg

I find it interesting that the gargoyle has an avian head, (the penitent Avian Lords mentioned by the C's?), a reptilian tail and a human body, and that it appears to be upset. Is it upset at being in a suitcase? Considering the links that have been posited between the automatic baggage handling system (that is no longer being used to handle baggage, according to a press release early last year by United Airlines) and a human transport system, it makes me wonder what this avian headed gargoyle is really upset about. ;)

Here is a closeup...

gargoyle2.jpg

I've always been a big fan of gargoyles, so, naturally, this one caught my eye. With all the other bizarre artwork in this airport, lord only knows what this really symbolizes.

Hi Anart,

Really intersesting gargoyle. Looking at the sculpture, perhaps it is showing grief or shock at being exposed rather than being upset?? OSIT

Hey Anart, all,

I've had a fascination with gargoyles too and have been collecting them for a while - and this one does seem pretty odd. I don't think I've seen too many with an avian head as you point out - the human body seems to be rare too, but I do have one like that. Looks like it's plugging its ears and making noise so it won't hear anything. (kinda reminds me of an emphasized 'hear-no-evil monkey' - perhaps, next time you're there you could see if there are the two others 'see-no-evil' and 'speak-no-evil' to match) The eyes look disinterested in knowing what is going on too. This is opposite of most other gargoyles as they're mostly ultra-alert. For those who don't know, gargoyles are meant to symbolize a watchdog of sorts to protect from evil. Since it's in an open suitcase, perhaps this could represent people's privacy. - So maybe he's a 'protector of privacy' - a disinterested 'protector' who refuses to listen to anything but his own voice in his head. ...kinda reminds me of most U.S. law and its enforcement.

Just had another look and the gargoyle head looks like an eagle's which can also be a symbol for U.S. liberty (of which privacy could again be included).

Next time I have the unpleasant errand of having to go to D.I.A. - the place creeps me out - I'll make sure to explore and get shots of any other gargoyles. It might be revealing.

a

I was just in DIA last week but didn't check any bags so I didn't pay much attention to the baggage claim areas. I would have taken a look at these if I had known they were there. I was glancing around for any strange artwork as I made my way hastily to the exits. After everything I have read about that airport - my goal was to get out of there as quickly as possible :)

Looks like it's plugging its ears and making noise so it won't hear anything. (kinda reminds me of an emphasized 'hear-no-evil monkey' - perhaps, next time you're there you could see if there are the two others 'see-no-evil' and 'speak-no-evil' to match) The eyes look disinterested in knowing what is going on too. This is opposite of most other gargoyles as they're mostly ultra-alert. For those who don't know, gargoyles are meant to symbolize a watchdog of sorts to protect from evil. Since it's in an open suitcase, perhaps this could represent people's privacy. - So maybe he's a 'protector of privacy' - a disinterested 'protector' who refuses to listen to anything but his own voice in his head. ...kinda reminds me of most U.S. law and its enforcement.

To me it doesn't look like he is covering his ears because it looks like they are behind his hands, maybe it's getting horrified what he sees and he's putting his hands on his head. It kinda sounds logical because people are very ignorant and elite has habit to put their symbols in front of people and laugh how they are ignorant with all that signs. If it represents protection and knowledge protects then we come to ignorance again.
Just my 2 cents. :)

anart said:
Next time I have the unpleasant errand of having to go to D.I.A. - the place creeps me out - I'll make sure to explore and get shots of any other gargoyles. It might be revealing.

a

Many of the gargoyles we see made as statues come from gothic cathedrals, and they were often crafted as downspouts for rainwater. I'm wondering if this little guy is one of those that has been 'modernized' for this sculpture? Cathedral gargoyles were made to protect the church from demons. Maybe the statue is intended to 'protect the luggage from gremlins'?

Its a reach, but that was what I thought of in seeing the little dude in a briefcase. ;)

Check out this site for more 'historical reproductions' of gargoyles etc. Hubby and I still would love to outfit our woods with a few of the gnarlier statues, but I think its good we can't afford to. :D

http://www.designtoscano.com/?dtpd&code=DTGOOGLEB

I don't know, sometimes he seems complaining, and sometimes i have the impression he has headphones and he sings...

Gimpy said:
I'm wondering if this little guy is one of those that has been 'modernized' for this sculpture? Cathedral gargoyles were made to protect the church from demons. Maybe the statue is intended to 'protect the luggage from gremlins'?

Yep, that's the official line for his existence, actually (there is a little plaque there by him). I found him most interesting due to his avian head and his reptilian tail - and - well - because this airport has a tendency to have things placed in certain locations for a specific reason. He has also always looked alarmed to me, like something is wrong - though considering the automated baggage system, that is reportedly no longer used (despite massive underground infrastructure and being the cause of the delay to open the airport) that's not a stretch. ;)

I just wanted to pass along some information given to me by a friend who lives very near DIA (I am from Denver). She and her husband were out last week tooling around in their Jeep near DIA when they came upon a very strange building that could not be seen from any of the access roads nearby. It was a very large (approx. 1 square city block) square structure that stood about 1.5-2 feet high. It was surrounded on all sides by barbed wire fencing as well as signs posted with 'keep out,' 'private property,' and 'property of the U.S. military' along with warnings about imprisonment and prosecution, etc. etc. Her husband works for a major military defense contractor, and knows about every military instillation in the area, as he has worked on projects for most of them. He knew nothing about this compound - had no clue what it was. Of course his work is secret, and so I doubt he has any resources to find out what this place was without endangering his job. My friend said that it looked like a 'giant buried building.'

Now it could have been anything I suppose, but considering his military connection and utter surprise, the whole thing has me rather intrigued. My friend also worked at DIA for 2 years when they first moved to Colorado. She can confirm that there are many, many underground caverns that run along the train tunnels. The employees were only made aware of certain areas, and told that all other areas were off limits to them.

I can also confirm that she and her husband last year were riding the train to the gate when the train broke down in the middle of the tunnel. The DIA employees had to evacuate the train and walk all the people along the train corridor to another location where they could safely board another train. She said they were very protective of the adjacent doorways/tunnels, and made it very clear that the people were to stay on the 'straight' path. She remembered her employee experience a few years earlier, and this type of behavior reminded her of that.

Now, this could all be nothing. But I do find it strange, nonetheless. I am going to ask her to drive me out to the 'mysterious building' place (if we can find it again) and take pictures. I doubt her husband will accompany us because of his sensitive work situation. She may not even want to be implicated. But if I can get some pics, would I be allowed to post them here?

BTW, the artwork in DIA is very apocalyptic and creepy for those that have never seen it in person. Pictures do not do it justice. I laugh every time I see the gargoyle, but then I remember the session where the Cs make a reference to a "5D city on a hill." Then I'm not laughing so much...

But if I can get some pics, would I be allowed to post them here?
Hi whovian,

Yes. You can either attached them in your post (size limited to 128kb) or you could upload it on a public site and then link them here. :)

Looks to me like he is laughing and attempting to contain his mirth-at the discomfiture of the passengers perhaps? Certainly is a bizzare thing to have in an airport...

Back
Top Bottom