Detox for kids

Hildegarda said:
Rx said:
"Dear momy and Dady. For valintines day I want a cacke. but not just any cacke. I dont want a discusting horrid Gluten free cacke."
Ha! Apparently I not only need to work on a good recipe but spelling with her as well! :lol:

may I suggest a gluten-free everything-free chocolate cake mix from Cherrybrook kitchen, or a brownie mix from Bob's Red Mill (that one calls for eggs but I make it with egg replacer instead and it's even better). They both are a bit pricey but wonderful for a special occasion. Nobody will every be able to tell that it's gluten-free!

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately in Asia it is very difficult to find these mixes and i usually have to order them from iherb -i kind of forgot about valentine's day since it's Chinese New Year and everyone is celebrating that right now so I didn't order anything in advance-oops.

RyanX said:
Hey Rx,

I can relate to what you're saying here. My transition to a gluten-free diet took a period of 6 months, so my kids had time to slowly adjust to the new foods and tastes. Did you switch baking methods overnight or was a gradual process for you?

What g/f bread recipes did you try? I've had some success with these, although I've only made a few. I could certainly help you out with this and I'm sure there are many others on this forum that could help too. Just post under the thread where you found the recipe and we'll try to help.

Don't feel bad about not being able to bake g/f even being a trained cook. Our culture is practically built around wheat and I think most experts in "traditional" baking methods would have a hard time with g/f baking. I've had many flops myself. One thing I've noticed that helps is to keep a baking log.

No I didn't change everything overnight but when bread went, they really started to complain. Since I haven't had any success with the GF breads, I've just decided to bake a couple loaves a month as a treat and so far everyone is used to mostly going without it. I'm not sure why all of the recipes are not working but one idea I had was that the humidity was causing problems because even the packaged bread mixes didn't really work out. I went with that theory and adjusted the water called for in a few recipes and proofed the yeast ahead of time just to make sure and still no luck. That's when I decided to move on-I just don't have the patience for any more experimenting right now. As for the cake and my daughter's valentine, it's obvious that I need a tried and tested winner of the chocolate persuasion-any suggestions???

I think part of the answer is to make it fun :). My son loves the buckwheat pancakes, partly because they are so easy to make - he can join in and feel involved. And give the child some structured choices, so again they feel some involvement/control (as Laura said, offer them "choices" like "do you want to have spinach or broccoli tonight" instead of asking "do you want to have vegetables.").

Plus, he is really looking forward to making some sugar free chocolate, once we can get hold of some xylitol (and who doesn't like the idea of making chocolate!?)

I have had similar issues but fortunately for me my daughter loves greens but hates meat, dairy and eggs and she's allergic to nuts. If she has her way all she would eat is bread and pasta but she knows wheat is out.

Sweet potato french fries are a big hit with all the kids so far.

I also do brown rice pasta with pesto sauce (fresh basil, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt) that I make myself. I also do brown rice tortillas to make what looks like pizza but really isn't since there's no cheese. I use mushrooms (shitake).

For breads and pastry like stuff I use buckwheat flour or coconut flour mixed like Laura does with the pancakes but with dried fruit or sugar free dark chocolate chips.

I think if you involve them in the cooking kids see it as fun and are more likely to eat it. Maybe try a cooking party with your kids and their friends. Everyone can suggest or bring one healthy ingredient to experiment with. Just make sure to have a list of no no items.

brainwave

Thanks for the info on milk, Laura and Psyche!

This whole milk business has troubled me for quite a while now. Now what would you recommend as a good calcium source for a child who is no longer breast feeding, but still under 2 years old? I would like to have some options for our son concerning his afternoon snack which his mother feel should consist mainly of yogurt (because of the calcium) and his occasional milk/cheese consumption. Looking at the tables of calcium concentration in different foods would suggest (when avoiding cheese, milk and soy product): small fatty fish, green leafy vegetables, berries or nettle. I guess calcium supplementation is out of the question at his age?

Added: Maybe some rice milk with extra calcium added?

You could point out that milk is really a very poor source of calcium anyway as the ratio of calcium/phosphorous/magnesium make calcium marginally available. And once the milk is heated and the enzymes destroyed what calcium may have been available becomes near impossible to absorb. In the past milk was not ingested for it's calcium content as much as for it's fat soluble vitamin content. Regardless, the milk available at the store has neither thing in abundance.

Greens are a good source of calcium. However, many are also high in oxalic acid again making it difficult to uptake the calcium and iron etc. Doesn't mean we shouldn't eat greens though. Nettles are wonderful and can be had dried and added to soups, rice etc and are very tasty like dried parsley. There are a variety of wild greens very high in mineral content and phytonutrients as well as some essential fatty acids. Sesame seeds also have a high calcium content. Tahini if fresh and not rancid(should not taste bitter) is excellent for children. I like mixing it with some raw honey and the kids dip apples and carrots in it. It's also good on toast. Maybe some kind of rice bread?

But the best source of calcium that is tried and true is bone broth. In traditional cultures this was a staple. Today we have to be very very careful with the bones we select as they are reservoirs for toxins as well. Choose bones from healthy grass fed animals. Pastured animals have the correct balance of omega 3 to 6 fats in their marrow. I put five or six bones in my crock pot on low and let it go about 24 hours. The resultant broth is almost milky and willl have nice fat floating on top. Use this in soups but also in rice or grains. The gelatin in the broth will improve the digestibility of the grains as well.
You can make this on the stove, but we householders are rarely around long enough these days to really baby the pot. Maybe a weekend project? You can also make a quicker broth (about 8-10) hours with good pastured chicken bones and feet. This is a fabulous broth. You can tell good chicken bones as they are bright and hard even after long simmering. After a while they get pitted as the calcium leaches out but they dont' get mushy like commercially raised chicken bones. You should also add a tablespoon of wine or vinegar to the water to acidify it a bit which will help draw out the minerals.

Hi Kila, there have been a few discussions about this on the forum. If you'll use the search engine, entering 'raw milk', you'll find them

Anart ...I have searched this forum and I am finding bits and pieces ...is there one thread in particular I should be seeing? or should I refine my search somewhat?

Kila said:
Thanks for the info on milk, Laura and Psyche!

This whole milk business has troubled me for quite a while now. Now what would you recommend as a good calcium source for a child who is no longer breast feeding, but still under 2 years old? I would like to have some options for our son concerning his afternoon snack which his mother feel should consist mainly of yogurt (because of the calcium) and his occasional milk/cheese consumption. Looking at the tables of calcium concentration in different foods would suggest (when avoiding cheese, milk and soy product): small fatty fish, green leafy vegetables, berries or nettle. I guess calcium supplementation is out of the question at his age?

Added: Maybe some rice milk with extra calcium added?

You could point out that milk is really a very poor source of calcium anyway as the ratio of calcium/phosphorous/magnesium make calcium marginally available. And once the milk is heated and the enzymes destroyed what calcium may have been available becomes near impossible to absorb. In the past milk was not ingested for it's calcium content as much as for it's fat soluble vitamin content. Regardless, the milk available at the store has neither thing in abundance.

Greens are a good source of calcium. However, many are also high in oxalic acid again making it difficult to uptake the calcium and iron etc. Doesn't mean we shouldn't eat greens though. Nettles are wonderful and can be had dried and added to soups, rice etc and are very tasty like dried parsley. There are a variety of wild greens very high in mineral content and phytonutrients as well as some essential fatty acids. Sesame seeds also have a high calcium content. Tahini if fresh and not rancid(should not taste bitter) is excellent for children. I like mixing it with some raw honey and the kids dip apples and carrots in it. It's also good on toast. Maybe some kind of rice bread?

But the best source of calcium that is tried and true is bone broth. In traditional cultures this was a staple. Today we have to be very very careful with the bones we select as they are reservoirs for toxins as well. Choose bones from healthy grass fed animals. Pastured animals have the correct balance of omega 3 to 6 fats in their marrow. I put five or six bones in my crock pot on low and let it go about 24 hours. The resultant broth is almost milky and willl have nice fat floating on top. Use this in soups but also in rice or grains. The gelatin in the broth will improve the digestibility of the grains as well.
You can make this on the stove, but we householders are rarely around long enough these days to really baby the pot. Maybe a weekend project? You can also make a quicker broth (about 8-10) hours with good pastured chicken bones and feet. This is a fabulous broth. You can tell good chicken bones as they are bright and hard even after long simmering. After a while they get pitted as the calcium leaches out but they dont' get mushy like commercially raised chicken bones. You should also add a tablespoon of wine or vinegar to the water to acidify it a bit which will help draw out the minerals.

Thank you Kila for your input. Knowledge protects :thup:

I second that bit about bones and stewing them a long time to get the minerals. I'll cook a chicken over a slow fire for hours, let it sit and leach out the minerals, take it out, bone it, put the meat back in and voila! Chicken mineral soup! Same with ox tails. I love pig feet as well..

Back
Top Bottom