Deep fried sweet potato ( or yam) fritters

SolarMother

Dagobah Resident
For those that like sweet potatoes or any variety of yams, you can make deep fried fritters using this recipe and substituting buckwheat flour for regular flour, use xylitol or natural sugar, lard instead of oil, probably don't need the egg either if you are egg intolerant.

http://www.whats4eats.com/appetizers/pilus-recipe

4 to 6 servings

* Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks -- 1 pound
* Buckwheat Flour -- 1/4 cup
* Egg, beaten -- 1
* Brown/natural or palm sugar -- 1 1/2 tablespoons
* Salt -- 1 teaspoon
* Oil/fat for deep frying

Method

1. Place the sweet potatoes in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and cover with water. Set the pot over a medium flame and simmer until cooked all the way through, around 8-12 minutes.
2. Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and mash them or put them through a ricer. Return the potatoes to the pot and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, for another 5-6 minutes, until they begin to dry out. Remove the potatoes from heat and allow to cool.
3. Beat in all the remaining ingredients except for oil until smooth. Add more flour if the batter is too moist to hold its shape on a spoon.
4. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 350-360°F. Drop large spoonfuls of batter into the oil and brown on both sides, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and finish with the remaining batter.

Notes

* The second reheating and cooking of the sweet potatoes is necessary to dry them out somewhat and make sure the batter will not be too moist. This renders the sweet potato to be like flour.

It might conserve more of the nutrients in the sweet potatoes to steam them.

I just tried it using Laura's suggestion of steaming and it worked fine. In fact, by steaming you can skip the second cooking because they are already drier (but not too dry). I used bacon grease to fry them in because I have a lot left over from frying bacon. I added black pepper, but no sweetening figuring sweet potatoes are sweet enough, but I may try it with sweetening next time.

Came out great, and my ten-year old loved them, too, as an after-school snack. Great use for all this surplus bacon fat I have been accumulating.

Mr. Premise said:
I just tried it using Laura's suggestion of steaming and it worked fine. In fact, by steaming you can skip the second cooking because they are already drier (but not too dry). I used bacon grease to fry them in because I have a lot left over from frying bacon. I added black pepper, but no sweetening figuring sweet potatoes are sweet enough, but I may try it with sweetening next time.

Came out great, and my ten-year old loved them, too, as an after-school snack. Great use for all this surplus bacon fat I have been accumulating.

Happy to hear that Mr Premise! They do make a wonderful munchie that is so pleasurable, which is badly needed in my house!
I will try the steaming of whole yams with skins on, then peeling.
Actually, the first time I did it I just baked the potatoes in their skins, which made removing the skins very easy, and then I added the flour, etc to the mashed yams, mixed it up-- and it all held together nicely in the frying skillet. There are sauces to make to dip them in too--but the original recipe calls for chili sauce which is verboten (but sure sounds good.) I am thinking about what a healthy sauce might be for the next time. Any ideas?

Sound yummy! Have you tried Yam chips??? Just slice the yams as thin as you can and then deep fried them in coconut oil, and you get delicious chips! Great for partys and stuff, good replacement for nachos and potato chips, you can eat them with some guacamole or just with salt. :D :D

EDU

Back
Top Bottom