Dandruff

quality of water in the rain where you live it’s something that’s causing you that? Dunno.
I live in small/medium city, not too industrialized compared to other part of country.
If i were to think about pollution then main culprit would be people burning whatever they could in their chimneys.

There are two sayings/"jokes" about people burning whatever they can:

First joke: "Waste is sort into two categories. Things to burn in daytime, things to burn at night..."
It is most likely true, so that they can "save" on garbage collection.

Second joke: "If winter tires weren't made to be burned in winter they wouldn't call them winter tires".
Tires in chimneys are rare, but low quality industrial coal and it smell just like tire.

No one mentioned it yet, so it might be helpful. I had dandruff on and off for years, sometimes accompanied with itchy scalp and itchy ears (even though I was taking B complex, extra biotin, zinc, selenium etc., along with various other supplements). It turned out that in my case it was omega-3 deficiency and krill oil solved the problem in a matter of days, I haven’t had dandruff or itchiness problem since.

No one mentioned it yet, so it might be helpful. I had dandruff on and off for years, sometimes accompanied with itchy scalp and itchy ears (even though I was taking B complex, extra biotin, zinc, selenium etc., along with various other supplements). It turned out that in my case it was omega-3 deficiency and krill oil solved the problem in a matter of days, I haven’t had dandruff or itchiness problem since.
Yeah good point, omega 3 is another one of the nutritional indications.

For me, its biotin. If I don't take biotin regularly, I develop dandruff and a scaly type of dry skin on the face called seborrheic dermatitis.

It goes away with topical anti-fungal cream, but thats not a solution long-term. I knew about the connection between biotin and protection against topical fungal infections for years, but didn't really apply it to myself.

Marginal biotin deficit impairs the ability to properly break down certain dietary fats... and this changes the composition of the sebum, which subsequently changes the skin microbiome. In fact, any problem with fatty acid oxidation can change the composition of the sebum, and that can lead to an overgrowth of Malassezia. Some people blame the fungus, but the studies show that most people have it living on the skin as a commensal organism and it doesn't cause any issues.

Anyway, it turns out that biotin was 100% the culprit, and it completely abolishes it for me at 5 or 10mg per day. I spoke to a guy who knows a lot about it, and he's uncovered some research which suggests that biotin demand is much higher for certain people because of different genes, and he thinks I might be one of those people!

All of the nutritional interventions mentioned here are quite harmless and are worth a try, for sure!

I also had dandruff on and off for a long time. My current solution is to wash my hair occasionally with baking soda solution (once every week or two weeks). You need to soak your hair with it for a couple of minutes before rinsing with water. I guess baking soda acts as a topical anti fungal.

I'm quite happy with it because it is an entirely natural solution and completely solves my dandruff problem.

I had dandruff for a long time, but adding a bit more riboflavin definitely helped.

I also started oiling my hair. I have a small dropper with olive oil, plus some tea tree and and orange essential oils mixed in. After a shower, I dry my hair, then apply a few drops of oil, rubbing into the scalp.

It smells good, and it also feels great.
My hair has been falling out like crazy, mainly do to stress (which I have been lowering) and the misuse of Rosemary oil. I went to search up homemade hair oil but decided to look on the forum first. What ratio do you use (even a ball park would be helpful)?

This sounds amazing and I already have all the ingredients. I look forward to trying this out, I'll let you know how it goes

My hair has been falling out like crazy, mainly do to stress (which I have been lowering) and the misuse of Rosemary oil. I went to search up homemade hair oil but decided to look on the forum first. What ratio do you use (even a ball park would be helpful)?

This sounds amazing and I already have all the ingredients. I look forward to trying this out, I'll let you know how it goes

It's not exact, but I put about 7 drops of each essential oil into the bottle, which I think is 2 oz. volume. The rest is olive oil. You could also use MCT oil, coconut oil, etc. For dosage, I put one dropper full into my palms and coat my hair and scalp.

Sorry to hear about the stress. It sure is a a stressful time to be living and breathing on planet earth. Some soothing essential oils may be better than orange - something like chamomile or Tulsi (holy Basil) perhaps.

Take care!

It's not exact, but I put about 7 drops of each essential oil into the bottle, which I think is 2 oz. volume. The rest is olive oil. You could also use MCT oil, coconut oil, etc. For dosage, I put one dropper full into my palms and coat my hair and scalp.

Sorry to hear about the stress. It sure is a a stressful time to be living and breathing on planet earth. Some soothing essential oils may be better than orange - something like chamomile or Tulsi (holy Basil) perhaps.

Take care!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I am so looking forward to trying this.

Thank you for your compassion, this is the least stressful time I've ever experience which I am learning to not feel guilty about as the world is metaphorically and literally burning. I am truly and deeply grateful I have the resources to try things such as your scalp treatment, B vitamins, etc

Take care as well :-)

Castor oil works for me. Massaged into the scalp night before washing hair in the morning. Wrap your hair or sleep on a towel wrapped pillow to prevent staining. Continue process before every wash until dandruff stops.

FWIW all through my teenage years I suffered from really bad dandruff - tried everything.
In those days Head and shoulders shampoo was a new thing and even had it shipped from US. Nothing worked.
Then i tried Nizoral shampoo (ketokonazole antifungal) and it worked like a charm - never had it since - and this was decades ago.
Nizoral shampoo seems to be doing the job for me. Will see if the problem goes away now.

Nizoral shampoo seems to be doing the job for me. Will see if the problem goes away now.
If you dont want to use chemicals there is efficient alternative.
This started as veterinary line of products and it is very efficient. It is basically a type of fungus that is normally found on trees and when applied on animal or human skin it destroys pathological fungus and then dies off once there is no more food for it. It is like a biological warfare with no side effects or toxicity.
I used animal product and managed to get rid of persistent toe nail fungus that I couldn't eradicate for years.
here is the link for human line of products

Back
Top Bottom