Dandruff

SOTTREADER

The Living Force
Hi - I was wondering if anyone knew what the root cause of dandruff was. I've noticed I've started to get quite a bit of it recently and it's puzzling me.

Is there a vitamin or mineral deficiency linked to it? Or some sort of allergy perhaps.

Just asking in case someone has some knowledge on this or someone managed to address it on themselves.

If I'm not taking enough vit D and B complex and if I eat too much sugar or pro-candida foods, I notice that my dandruff flares up, but it might be different for you. How's your diet? Did you get any recent bloodwork?

Can be a combination of multiple things, but the main ones I know of are:

- Lack of Biotin (vitamin B7)
- Lack of Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- Vitamin D deficiency

Biotin can be dosed between 5-10mg

Riboflavin can be dosed between 200-400mg

Vitamin D between 5000-10,000 IU, unless you are doing another dosing regimen (of which there are many)

Thanks for the replies. My diet is okay though I note that might be subjective. I'm definitely not deficient in Vit D as I've been supplementing daily for years, together with vit K.

I might be low on zinc though as I've only recently started supplementing that after stopping like 8 months ago.

There's one thing I'll cut off for awhile. My other half likes fresh bread and so I do have bread (never used to though) and I'm wondering if the gluten may be the culprit!

I've started supplementing vitamin B like 2 weeks ago. Can I check something with vitamin B supplementation? If you were to stick by the recommended dosage, could you have too much if you are also a regular meat eater?

Finally, I'm going to get some vitamin E oil for the hair to also see what that does. I was going to get supplements but then read some scary potential side effects about strokes and whatnot so think I'll stick with the oil!

I'm wondering if the gluten may be the culprit!
That may be a possibility.
Skin Problems
Notice new rashes on your skin? While skin problems can arise for various reasons, they are a relatively common sign of gluten sensitivity. Rashes, dry skin, and dandruff, are often gluten-intolerant symptoms. If you've tried practically everything and your skin remains more sensitive than ever, there's a good possibility that it's linked to your diet. Talking to a health practitioner is the best way to determine what your next steps should be.

ive found that i get dandruff usually in the fall /autumn - usually goes after a few weeks or using shampoo with zinc sulphate in it .

interestingingly enough in TCM the fall is related to the metal element - which governs lungs ,skin and large intestine !

Metal (金)

also the head relates to the future - main torso of body the present and legs/feet the past .

I had dandruff for a long time, but adding a bit more riboflavin definitely helped.

I also started oiling my hair. I have a small dropper with olive oil, plus some tea tree and and orange essential oils mixed in. After a shower, I dry my hair, then apply a few drops of oil, rubbing into the scalp.

It smells good, and it also feels great.

Hi - I was wondering if anyone knew what the root cause of dandruff was. I've noticed I've started to get quite a bit of it recently and it's puzzling me.

Is there a vitamin or mineral deficiency linked to it? Or some sort of allergy perhaps.

Just asking in case someone has some knowledge on this or someone managed to address it on themselves.
I guess, there could be many reasons. The only thing that helped me, is a shampoo with tea tree oil.

FWIW all through my teenage years I suffered from really bad dandruff - tried everything.
In those days Head and shoulders shampoo was a new thing and even had it shipped from US. Nothing worked.
Then i tried Nizoral shampoo (ketokonazole antifungal) and it worked like a charm - never had it since - and this was decades ago.

Sometimes i also have dandruff.

Most often "it activates" when i go out in rainy day without umbrella on.
Second culprit would be diet.
Third would be shampoo. In my country there are many shampoos of known brands, but ones made for my country are of lower quality. Also sometimes it is worth to watch for text that doesn't mean anything "2in1" doesn't necessary mean that anyone put any additional ingredient in it...

Most often "it activates" when i go out in rainy day without umbrella on.
This is an interesting cause, if it’s really related at all, perhaps the quality of water in the rain where you live it’s something that’s causing you that? Dunno.

Speaking of, dandruff is something I had deal with for almost my entire life, It went away completely when I changed my diet for a gluten/dairy free diet years ago, but it came back after I couldn’t sustain a stable diet again. Now it’s better, I did a bit research a time ago about it and it seems that the fungus that produces it, acts a bit like candida, whatever it’s in your guts will reflect on your skull basically; diary and gluten plays a big role. I didn’t know about the B complex and Vitamin D, so I might also look into that.

Back
Top Bottom