COVID testing in work

liam1310

The Cosmic Force
FOTCM Member
Thought it best not to post this on the corona thread, keep it seperate.
The HSE who are the same as the NHS in the UK. They were on to the office in the place I work with the priests asking for all staff to be tested. It's not mandatory so think I will decline the offer. I'm not to keen on giving my DNA if it can be avoided. What do you guys think??

Is it a test for corona or for antibodies? Also, if you say no and refuse to be tested what could the consequences be- if any?

I wondered what it would mean in the future, for example, if you are tested and test negative, does that mean you will be encouraged firmly by your workplace to get a vaccine because you don't have antibodies? If you are tested and test positive but have no symptoms, will you have to self-isolate?

On the other hand, if it did become compulsory in the future and getting tested was the only way you can keep your job, then it may be worth it just to keep a roof over your head, or look for another job that doesn't require it. But who knows, they may bring in mandatory widespread testing into every workplace. One upside is we may get some actual infection stats (if they decide to tell the truth :rolleyes:) , the downside is that, yes they have your DNA and your test status safely stored.

I'm not sure about this so hopefully others have some ideas on the best course of action.

Is it a test for corona or for antibodies? Also, if you say no and refuse to be tested what could the consequences be- if any?

I wondered what it would mean in the future, for example, if you are tested and test negative, does that mean you will be encouraged firmly by your workplace to get a vaccine because you don't have antibodies? If you are tested and test positive but have no symptoms, will you have to self-isolate?

On the other hand, if it did become compulsory in the future and getting tested was the only way you can keep your job, then it may be worth it just to keep a roof over your head, or look for another job that doesn't require it. But who knows, they may bring in mandatory widespread testing into every workplace. One upside is we may get some actual infection stats (if they decide to tell the truth :rolleyes:) , the downside is that, yes they have your DNA and your test status safely stored.

I'm not sure about this so hopefully others have some ideas on the best course of action.

Hi Jenn, sorry forgot to mention it's a test for covid. What the consequences will be for refusing I'm not sure yet. Health care workers will be the first in line to be vaccinated.

Not mandatory.....don't take it.
You mentioned working with priests, give them this to read over and sign (and hopefully not submitt to testing)

Good Idea, don't think it would do any harm to email this to the Reverend wounder what he would make of it.

I’m with Jenn on this one,

it may be worthwhile to consider what it would entail for you personally to refuse test. And maybe how many people at your job are likely to refuse, so that if you decide to do it, you wouldn’t be singled out.

there are of course legal recourses that you may use, but at the same time, the pre covid law seems to not apply anymore in most places. Social distancing for instance, it’s not a law, yet people have been arrested for failing to observe it.

So I would be very cautious in refusing without reading your environment well and I would re consider all the options at my disposal.

That’s a tricky one to decide. Maybe you can inquire more about what they will do if you test positive. From what we’ve heard and read, if you test positive (be it real or false positive), they could arrange a ‘Spanish inquisition’ wanting to know who you’ve been in contact with the past weeks, maybe putting you and others in quarantine etc.

As a matter of fact I went for a COVID test today. My work has required that I do the test as well. I work in engineering and the current project that I'm attached to requires me to visit an old steam generating plant where they manufacture fiber boards, for the purposes of surveying it for an eventual revamping project. The Owner of the plant yesterday made an about-turn and required that we get tested after saying that we didn't. The tests are not cheap either.

The company I work for had already required us to do the tests but I did not think about refusing. I felt pressured to do it at the time, they had sent a company-wide e-mail asking us to register for a Social Security Organization sponsored COVID screening. I had already registered for this. However, this free test is not scheduled to take place yet.

The site visit mentioned above was planned earlier and was delayed because of the requirement for COVID testing. Thus, to expedite matters and to ensure that the site visit wasn't delayed any further, after discussion with a colleague who I will be with for the site visit, I did the test at my own expense today. The Client had promised to reimburse us the cost. I considered work more important than worrying about the test. But @Jenn you are right that now they have my DNA. I don't know what the ramifications of that are but they are herding us like cattle and I only realize now how I've been so easily led into this after doing that test and posting about it now.

I do regret a little about rushing into this. I didn't think it would be very harmful as it was only a swab test. The results will come tomorrow, so they say. We will see what comes out of this and I will keep you posted.

I think that the fear about having our DNA because of the test might be a bit unnecessary. Personally, I have done blood tests before, I have sent my DNA online, so if they want any such data, they already have it.

At the town I work at I saw a tent where they do COVID testing in the grand square. Out of curiosity, I considered going, just to see whether I had it or have it now (I have a bit of a cold these days). I thought if they find antibodies then I'll say, "Hey, I don't need a vaccine, I am naturally immune!", if and when that day comes. On the other hand, like some of you mentioned, if I test positive then I don't know whether they will ask me to self-quarantine and/or go around investigating who I had been in contact with and quarantine them too. So I decided against it.

In your situation @liam1310, it is a difficult choice, I feel for you. Maybe get more information about the repercussion if you refuse, and wait until other workers do it first to see what happens, explaining that since it's not mandatory yet you want some time to think about it, you don't like needles, etc. Or that's what I would do. FWIW.

Was on to a carer who is in work now no one in work is happy about it even the Nurse. Apparently it's a mandatory step especially for medical workers. Before I got this message I already texted saying.

I will think on this (name here) at the moment I'm not to keen on testing, unless it's absolutely necessary and mandatory..

Will see what they say..

Not mandatory.....don't take it.
You mentioned working with priests, give them this to read over and sign (and hopefully not submit to testing)

Thanks for Posting the Appeal, Zzartemis. :-) It's well written.

If I were to narrow down two words to express this current Coronavirus spectacle - it would be "social engineering".

I might be wrong here but have we not all given blood at one time or other. Will they not have details of our DNA in data banks collected over the years or at least our blood groups which I'm sure they have been amassing.
Just guessing.

Tuatha de Danaan expressed a valid point. It has become a common practice when ever visiting a Doctor, clinic or health facility - to be sent for blood work/testing. Some places of employment have made it mandatory to submit to periodic drug testing, where a urine sample is required. If the authorities are desperate enough to get a DNA sample, all they have to do is wait until you place your household garage out to the curb for the weekly pick-up. Chances are - a large segment of the population are already in some data base, in one form or another.

My main concern is a mandatory vaccination for the Coronavirus. For starters - wasn't it a botched-up vaccine that started this whole fiasco? Plus, several news reports have stated that the virus has mutated. How do you determine if you have the original strain that was let loose or the mutated one? Does it mean further testing to see what strain you have? Will it require getting more then one vaccine? Then, there is the question of the vaccine, itself. So many drug companies and start up groups have invested in producing a vaccine.

A question I would like to ask Bill Gates, "Have you ever been administered a vaccine - any vaccine - and what was it for?"

I don't think, I have to wait around for an answer?

Back
Top Bottom