Contributing financially for Sott defence fund

Renaissance

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I've been experiencing the effects of the US economy as of late and so know broke rather well. But I've been wanting to give to the sott fund defending HBI's absurd legal suit too, so I've been kicking around some ideas for fund raising on an individual level. There's also this thread Tired of your job? Ways to make money. which could help to read through as well.

Here's some of the thoughts I came up with; there's long term plans and short term ones too. Legal cases can drag out so it's good to have both.

- Flush out unused or unneeded books from your library and sell them on amazon or to your local used book store (you'll probably get more at amazon though) - could do the same for dvd's and cd's.

- Go through nicknacks and sell disregarded things on ebay.

- During spring cleaning have a yard sale - get together with neighbors and have a super duper yard sale (more people will come and check out your stuff.)

- Go to yard sales and find cheap things you can resell on ebay (small antiques may be a good bet)

- Do some overtime shifts at work if possible.

- Grow a vegetable garden and sell left over veggies at a farmers market (if you live in a city, many have community gardens). At the farmers market, suppliment food items with other goods or crafts. (such as homemade soap)

- Make flyers for tutoring if you have a good base knowledge of math, science or other field.

- If you do reiki make flyers offering services for donations.

Other ideas?

Good call, Shane. I've been broke for a while but your post gave me the idea to try a different approach to my annual spring cleaning. Also, I lurk enough on these forums I should have pounced on that "Ways to make money" thread. haha!

I also really want to contribute to SOTT and hopefully I should manage to scrape up some donations soon.

Thanks and good luck!

Here's a good idea for you:

In January I did an offroad mountain biking race, and on two spots during the race there were these guys with cameras, photographing every race member coming past. They chose good spots in the race, like a serious downhill, or a big area of water that all the race members had to go through or a spot with really good scenery. I assumed they were journalists working for some small little local newspaper, and when they took my photograph I wondered to myself why they don't rather take shots of the really pro guys who keep lapping me, or just anybody who is at least 'on' their bike.

Then when I got to the office the following Monday, I received an email telling me to go to this website and purchase the photographs they took of me. A low res is R20 and a high res is R40. You then make a payment online and it takes you to a page where you can download your pics of yourself.

Everyone who was in the race with me purchased their pics, then I thought to myself..good gosh, there were like 2000 people in this race, if they all buy their pics...then, well, it's pretty good money for one Saturday's work. They obviously organised with the race organisers beforehand, and maybe gave them a cut. When you enter you have to fill in this indemnity form which asks you for your email addres, amongs other things, and then they issue you your race number. That's how the photographers know from their photographs it's you.

Here are these guys: _www.actionshots.co.za

You can do this with marathons, cycling races, triathlons etc. etc. You don't even have to have a great camera, or be really good, cause you're just at the right place at the right time, and that's usually what sells photographs.

You can also sell old computer things you have around. Old printers, scanners, software (with code/keys) & games. Items you don't use anymore. There are several computer shops here that will buy used stuff even if they aren't working.

A friend of mine sold her leather clothes on E bay as well. She made a pretty penny! Fwiw

I think its key to let as many people as possible know of this. It is such a fundamental attack on the last thing thats left of our western 'freedom', I think it would be a good thing if slashdot.org or boingboing.net ran a story with it, will try to submit it, but the more who do it...

Although perhaps not immediately relevant, I think the overall picture and the creativity and flexibility and psychology represented in this linked SOTT Editorial "Survival in Times of Uncertainty--Growing Up in Russia in the 1990's" http://www.sott.net/articles/show/147683-Survival-in-Times-of-Uncertainty-Growing-Up-in-Russia-in-the-1990s
may provide useful in helping us put the pieces together towards making money and contributing to this useful group.

I posted a bit on my intro page, located at: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8364.msg60255#msg60255

Please feel free to contact me if I can lend a hand.

Back
Top Bottom