Comet Puppies

Puck said:
Awww! Thanks for posting! Those are the cutest puppies I've seen in a long time. Excellent photography as well, perfect lighting, and the parents look very proud.

We love our doggies too and frankly, it is about the only pleasurable activity we have - interacting with them, looking after them, etc.

Sometimes, one or the other of us will get in a "photographic mood" and try to take some good shots of them, but mostly, it's just hit or miss; luck. We take a LOT of digital photos which don't cost anything to print, and out of 20 or so, there may be a really good one quite by accident. More rarely, there is an extraordinary photo, again, usually by accident.

When your photo targets are dogs it's even harder because you can't really explain to them what they are supposed to do, when to say "cheese" and so on. And, of course, they do the cutest things when you don't have a camera and by the time you get one, they stop!

We do have some little camera videos - a couple minutes here and there - of some really cute stuff like Cherie and Laddie play fighting in the bedroom. Laddie was twice her size and you should have heard her snapping her little jaws! It was really funny!

Even though she is now bigger than the other dogs, Jazzy still dominates Cherie a little. That might be because Cherie is basically a really easy-going, mud-bogging tomboy!

We do notice a distinct difference in the temperaments between the tri-colors and the sables. I don't know if this is true of collies (we only have Cherie to observe), but it is definitely true of the Shelties. The tris are more - ummm - intense, I guess you'd say. They are more sensitive, easily upset, their attention gets captured and they let go less easily. When Sebastian's "attack mode" gets turned on, it's really hard to get him distracted and settled down. He was REAL intense before he was snipped, and hasn't quieted down much since! His arthritis slows him down, though, and makes him a little cranky.

After Sebastian had that terrible sickness in August of 2007, he's never been the same since and that is when all the joint problems started. I read that dogs that recover from this tick borne disease (Erlichiosis), often get some kind of cancer within two years of recovery. It's not quite 2 years yet, but he sure is a different doggie and it breaks our hearts. I've given him a number of supplement and am presently giving him doggie cod liver oil and a bit of MSM in his food every few days. I don't really know what else to do. Both his front legs really turned in after he was sick and he just has trouble walking sometimes. Other times, he'll run as if nothing is wrong.

Pepper, I agree about puppies; there's nothing sweeter in the whole world!

Your doggies are beautiful Laura :thup: Watching the puppies grow up is also truly a pleasure.

Animals are amazing and most of the time I can feel love for them much easier than humans, sadly. Looking at your photos I can see how lucky they are that they have plenty of love, attention and room to run around. Shelties I find to be explosive with energy and letting them work it off is always the best thing for them. My brother's Sheltie (Mac) is older and has developed the arthritis problem himself. My brothers been giving him Glucosamine which seems to be helping but he also takes him on nature hikes to keep him active as well. Just the other day they came upon a little stream and Mac pulled him like he wanted a sip of water, but when he let the leash out Mac jumped in!! lol. Needless to say Mac got a couple of hours of sun time before he was able to get back in the car. Maybe he planned it?
Anyway, thank you for the photos and best wishes always to you and your family :clap:

I've never seen these 'Lassie' dogs in puppy form. Very beautiful. Pic 144's my favourite, looks like a stock image, or one of those corny posters you get in gift shops with a corny caption like "I love work, I can watch all day". When I took my dog to dog school a couple of years ago, the trainer said to us that dogs don't distinguise between humans, dogs and cats when it comes to their place in the family. She said they see the whole household as a pack of wild dogs and each one has a place in the hierarchy, humans, cats and dogs. After you've established your dominance over them, you must let them be when they sort out dominance amongst themselves. Some people want to change the dominance hierarchy with their dogs, thinking the bigger one or better breed must be dominant, and then all the dogs end up being unhappy, cause everyone's happy with it's place in the hierarchy. A subordinate dog doesn't want to be dominant, and is perfectly happy with it's place in the hierarchy.

She said when your dog lies in a doorway or in your way, and you step over it, then you are not the dominant one in it's eyes.  :lol: If it sees you as dominant, it will move out of the way, just like in a pack of wild dogs. I guess my dog is my boss then.  :P

Laura said:
His arthritis slows him down, though, and makes him a little cranky.

After Sebastian had that terrible sickness in August of 2007, he's never been the same since and that is when all the joint problems started.

FWIW, something that really helped my arthritic golden retriever is the Migun mini mat. He sleeps on it when the rest of the family isn't using it and I have seen a marked improvement in him. It's kind of pricey ($345) but has far infrared and negative ions.

-http://www.migunworld.com/healthy_mat.php

Migun Mini-Mat

The mini-mat produces healthful negative ions (even when it's not plugged in!) and creates concentrated far infrared heat to speed recovery and soothe away chronic pain. It's the best heating pad you've ever experienced and all harmful electromagnetic waves are blocked!

Features of the Mat
New "100 Year Old Stone"
Negative Ions
Soothing Far Infrared Rays
No Harmful Electromagnetic Waves
Adjustable Temperature Control
Lie back and melt away pain

Back
Top Bottom