Collingwood's Idea of History & Speculum Mentis

Re: R. G. Collingwood: The Idea of History

Approaching Infinity said:
Just something you have to get used to - and like Laura has mentioned a few times, you can still follow the line of thought without understanding those phrases. The assumption back than was that anyone educated enough to read such a book would have at least a basic understanding of Latin and Greek, not to mention French and German.
I figured this was the reason.

It doesn't take much time to learn the Greek alphabet, though. So you could always do that, which makes searching for the words online a bit easier.
That's pretty much what I'm going to have to do, although having to stop and break my train of thought so often while reading is still kind of annoying. So far I've been trying to infer the gist of them based on context and then just keep reading.

PhoenixPhilalethes said:
I only just started the book and I'm still on Part I - Greco-Roman Historiography, but something that's frustrating me about it so far is all of the Greek words and phrases Collingwood keeps citing, written in the Greek alphabet, which are not translated at all. At least the Latin in the book I can Google because I know the Latin alphabet, but I'm at a loss every time a Greek word or phrase is dropped and there's no footnote or in-text translation following it. I'd love to learn Ancient Greek, sure, but that's not practical at the moment. I don't mind Greek words and phrases being referenced in and of itself - I was fascinated by all of the phonetic and etymological relationships that Fulcanelli discussed in his books, but every word was translated in a footnote and even the pronunciation was transliterated into the Latin alphabet. Collingwood's book has neither. Anyone else irritated by this?

Well, maybe you could try to put yourself in Collingwood's shoes, in fact doing the kind of history he recommends, and see where he is coming from (as AI explained), which may ease your frustration. Also, these little phrases here and there are not really important - if they were, you probably would have asked a question directly related to a specific phrase in its specific context, instead of just expressing general frustration ;)

luc said:
PhoenixPhilalethes said:
I only just started the book and I'm still on Part I - Greco-Roman Historiography, but something that's frustrating me about it so far is all of the Greek words and phrases Collingwood keeps citing, written in the Greek alphabet, which are not translated at all. At least the Latin in the book I can Google because I know the Latin alphabet, but I'm at a loss every time a Greek word or phrase is dropped and there's no footnote or in-text translation following it. I'd love to learn Ancient Greek, sure, but that's not practical at the moment. I don't mind Greek words and phrases being referenced in and of itself - I was fascinated by all of the phonetic and etymological relationships that Fulcanelli discussed in his books, but every word was translated in a footnote and even the pronunciation was transliterated into the Latin alphabet. Collingwood's book has neither. Anyone else irritated by this?

Well, maybe you could try to put yourself in Collingwood's shoes, in fact doing the kind of history he recommends, and see where he is coming from (as AI explained), which may ease your frustration. Also, these little phrases here and there are not really important - if they were, you probably would have asked a question directly related to a specific phrase in its specific context, instead of just expressing general frustration ;)

I'm not frustrated at Collingwood himself - I figured it was because of what AI said, that anyone educated enough back then to read a book like this assumably knew some Greek and Latin. I guess what I find frustrating is that it makes the information less accessible to a wider audience (at least in today's world) who may benefit from reading such a book but be turned off by stuff like this, feeling it is perhaps too highbrow or 'above' them - although these Greek parts are only a small part of the chapter, I assume they're included because Collingwood felt they are important in some way to the points he's making. Personally, I don't mind scholarly writing or a challenging read, so it doesn't turn me off from continuing the book, but it does frustrate me because I want to know what the words and phrases say, preferably without having to stop every paragraph to look it up, breaking my focus. It would be nice to see a new edition of the book released that translates all such examples using footnotes to make it a little more accessible.

PhoenixPhilalethes said:
luc said:
PhoenixPhilalethes said:

I'm not frustrated at Collingwood himself - I figured it was because of what AI said, that anyone educated enough back then to read a book like this assumably knew some Greek and Latin. I guess what I find frustrating is that it makes the information less accessible to a wider audience (at least in today's world) who may benefit from reading such a book but be turned off by stuff like this, feeling it is perhaps too highbrow or 'above' them - although these Greek parts are only a small part of the chapter, I assume they're included because Collingwood felt they are important in some way to the points he's making. Personally, I don't mind scholarly writing or a challenging read, so it doesn't turn me off from continuing the book, but it does frustrate me because I want to know what the words and phrases say, preferably without having to stop every paragraph to look it up, breaking my focus. It would be nice to see a new edition of the book released that translates all such examples using footnotes to make it a little more accessible.

Everything he writes in Greek he mentions again later, either by explaining it in the same sentence or in a following one. So you are not really missing anything. I think Collingwood is much better than others in this regard, it seems that he DID write to reach a wider audience. Other scholars throw in whole paragraphs in another ancient or modern language and expect you to understand. Like a literally "hit and run"!

Only one instance I remember so far (still in part II) where he threw in a german sentence at teh end of a paragraph and was done with it. I just kept reading and I don't think it took much away from the overall message of that paragraph. And sometimes I don't understand an english sentence or paragraph and I have to reread it a few times :rolleyes:

Alana said:
Everything he writes in Greek he mentions again later, either by explaining it in the same sentence or in a following one. So you are not really missing anything. I think Collingwood is much better than others in this regard, it seems that he DID write to reach a wider audience. Other scholars throw in whole paragraphs in another ancient or modern language and expect you to understand. Like a literally "hit and run"!

Only one instance I remember so far (still in part II) where he threw in a german sentence at teh end of a paragraph and was done with it. I just kept reading and I don't think it took much away from the overall message of that paragraph. And sometimes I don't understand an english sentence or paragraph and I have to reread it a few times :rolleyes:

Yeah, many are translated right after the word or phrase, but quite a few aren't. I know it's a minor thing, just a little irritating because I really do want to know the translations. Overall, the book is good so far - Collingwood's style and observations seem precise without being too wordy.

Re: Gurdjieff's Primitive Cosmology

Bluelamp said:
Neil said:
I find the idea of hydrogens rather useful, actually. I interpreted it in the context of how al-Arabi divided creation into spiritual, imaginal, and corporeal realms. Gurdjieff was just trying to create some type of graduated scale that measured the "distance" from 7D or the Absolute or "Allah." The closer one got to the Names of God, the more intense the emanations of consciousness and the lower the hydrogen number. I took some exception to his hydrogens always combining in multiples of 2, (there should be hydrogen 97s just as easily as 96s)...

Well if one was really trying to represent information then multiples of two could make sense; starting early with a (law of) 3 isn't a horrible idea either but nobody was using actual math...

I should add that there is a 3-6 math pattern for the hydrogens that is similar to the very binary information-like Enneagram 1-2-4-8-7-5 pattern. For the Enneagram, the binary pattern is 1, 2, 4, 8, 1+6=7, 3+2=5, 6+4=1+0=1, 1+2+8=1+1=2, 2+5+6=1+3=4, ... For the hydrogens it's 3, 6, 1+2=3, 2+4=6, 4+8=1+2=3, 9+6=1+5=6, 1+9+2=1+2=3, ...

I've finished this book. Collingwood discourses in quite a lot of detail what is and what is not history. History involves human activity, it is a necessary attribute. Natural processes by comparison, though they occur through time are not history. History is the result of actions taken by certain individuals at certain times which resulted in a significant event(s) But thought precedes action and it is these thoughts or thought processes that is the proper work of a historian to discover and experience for himself. Collingwood is basically postulating that thoughts exists in two phases; immediacy (as in as the person thinks them) and mediation which is the reflective aspect where the same person who thinks them can return to them after a time, or another person altogether from a different time can also 'return' to them (IE.) a historian, provided certain criteria are present. The historian must have historical knowledge. Perhaps more importantly the historian must have similar experience, for it is only through experience that we truly know things. Collingwood states; "This is only a way of saying that the historian's thought must spring from the organic unity of his total experience, and be a function of his entire personality with it's practical as well as theoretical interests." It was an awesome read and a great example of 'thinking with a hammer.'

I am also almost one third the way into 'Speculum Mentis'- part 4: Religion

genero81 said:
I've finished this book. Collingwood discourses in quite a lot of detail what is and what is not history. History involves human activity, it is a necessary attribute. Natural processes by comparison, though they occur through time are not history. History is the result of actions taken by certain individuals at certain times which resulted in a significant event(s) But thought precedes action and it is these thoughts or thought processes that is the proper work of a historian to discover and experience for himself. Collingwood is basically postulating that thoughts exists in two phases; immediacy (as in as the person thinks them) and mediation which is the reflective aspect where the same person who thinks them can return to them after a time, or another person altogether from a different time can also 'return' to them (IE.) a historian, provided certain criteria are present. The historian must have historical knowledge. Perhaps more importantly the historian must have similar experience, for it is only through experience that we truly know things. Collingwood states; "This is only a way of saying that the historian's thought must spring from the organic unity of his total experience, and be a function of his entire personality with it's practical as well as theoretical interests." It was an awesome read and a great example of 'thinking with a hammer.'

Yes. And what Collingwood has done in one aspect, as far as I can see, is provide a basis for dismissing Gurdjieff's notion that "knowledge is material". If one person can "think thoughts" and numerous others can return to those thoughts, or participate in them, even through time, then thought is not something that is "used up" or in "limited quantity." We can notice that just because one historian may acquire knowledge of the past by "getting into" the thoughts of a historical figure, it does not mean that any number of other historians cannot do the same. In fact, it seems that thought is one of the things where you can "have your cake and eat it too".

Laura said:
genero81 said:

Yes. And what Collingwood has done in one aspect, as far as I can see, is provide a basis for dismissing Gurdjieff's notion that "knowledge is material". If one person can "think thoughts" and numerous others can return to those thoughts, or participate in them, even through time, then thought is not something that is "used up" or in "limited quantity." We can notice that just because one historian may acquire knowledge of the past by "getting into" the thoughts of a historical figure, it does not mean that any number of other historians cannot do the same. In fact, it seems that thought is one of the things where you can "have your cake and eat it too".

Yeah I was always confused by the limited quantity of knowledge concept, and that for someone to gain it, someone else has to lose it. The best I could come up with is that the more knowledge is globally suppressed, the more vital it is for a small group to collect and preserve it so it is not entirely lost to the future. But the collection doesn’t cause the global loss - it’s more of an effect, tho if that’s your calling wouldn’t you value and collect it regardless of whether it is suppressed or not? The only difference is whether that knowledge is valued by the few, or by many. And it is infinitely more beneficial when everyone else can learn it and apply it too, which doesn’t happen if someone doesn’t put in the work to get it and share it.

So I finished Gurdjieff and Hypnosis. I quite liked how he laid out various parts of Gurdjieff’s cosmology in more or less plain english, including his theories of the worlds, divine creation, and the laws that govern the cosmos which scale down to govern human behavior also. I wasn’t really quite sold on the proposal to toss all of what he said re: cosmology out. I mean it may not at face value reflect what we observe about reality in some ways, but one thing that stuck out for me from Gurdjieff’s writings were his repetions of the Hermetic maxim that the microcosmos and macrocosmos are analogous structurally. This was epitomized in Gurdjieff’s epiphany in Life is only Real when he concluded that he was God, with the only difference being scale. So reading G’s cosmology while understanding the types of filters in G’s thinking, as well as some of his “scatterbrained tricks” (his words, not mine) in his writing to hide certain ideas and concepts may still yield helpful information on psychology.

As Tamdgidi points out in some of his re-tellings of Beelzebub’s Tales, often Gurdjieff is distracting you with one thing while trying to convey the truth of something altogether quite different. This is a classic hypnotic technique, by the way: distracting the critical faculty while simultaneously feeding information to the subconscoius in subtle ways.

A more or less concrete example of this was given in the book Gurdjieff and Hypnosis, when Tamdgidi discusses the story G related of the earth’s formation. Essentially a comet struck it, creating the moon and a smaller satellite, which drastically altered the types of energies the beings on earth needed to generate to maintain that system. So the Kundabuffer organ (essentially an instrument inducing people to life in sleep and hypnosis) was installed by Archangels so the system would be maintained, but at the cost of habituating people to sleep long after the organ was eventually removed. Tamdgidi’s understanding of this story was that it in fact relates to the functioning of the sexual center prematurely, and how sensitive its development is to shocks (either through chastity past what is deemed reasonable, or premature sexualization) that can cause a wrong working of that energy in the growing organism.

This is one example, and in the context of Beelzebub’s Tales (where it is discussed on the forum) often numerous connections between superficially cosmic descriptions of processes or instruments in actuallity are describing the microcosm in some form or other. I believe the story of the initial creation is one such example of this; the “initial” creation being the STS path where there is no outside world (it is ignored or shut out) to counteract the “gravity” of God, thereby causing the world of God to gradually implode and collapse into a black hole. Contrasting this is the updated STO path, where one is actively giving to the outside world (instead of pretending it doesn’t exist or shutting it out) and creating. Just a theory. I mean one could huff and puff “if God’s so perfect he should have got creation right the first time”, but I think that ignores the iterative nature of creation. Organisms and psychological archetypes evolve over time (and some are simply tossed out), and imo it makes sense for a similar troubleshooting and trial and error in the higher organizing principles or laws of the universe.

Sometimes it’s difficult to tell when reading Gurdjieff it is meant to be taken as cosmology or as an allegory. The prime goal of Beelzebub’s Tales was, in G’s words, to shatter the illusions we have of the world. It was only with the incorporation of Meetings with Remarkable Men that something was to help take its place and plant a seed in people (the seed being interest in Gurdjieff and his teachings, go figure).

But, at the same time, one can realize the main flaw that prevented Gurdjieff from understanding the real nature of some phenomena: his insistence that all was matter. And this wasn't some lack of terminology problem, or anything like what lilies suggested above; it is clear and unequivocal; and for G, "data" was matter.

That kind of assumption of G’s definitely can put blinders on the ability to see reality clearly. One thing that always bemused me about Gurdjieff was he has literally nothing to say about spirit attachments, in spite of the fact that his experiments with hypnosis would certainly have suggested that as an avenue of investigation given his exposure to Islam (which is obsessed with the Jinn and spiritual obsession).

One of the goals of the "Gurjieff and Hypnosis" book, as stated by Tamdgidi in the introduction, is to determine to what extent Gurdjieff was using hypnotic techniques both in direct interactions AND in his writings. I suppose that the same question would apply to his responses to questions by Ouspensky that were recorded in ISOTM. And so, of course, one wonders if his students, who spread his work around, were - so to say - in his thrall? Reading this hermenuetic study pretty much lays out what WAS in his work, both implicit and explicit. Because, truly, considering what else was available at the time, one has difficulty imagining why his ideas got such traction.

I was quite taken back when Tamdidi pointed out that Gurdjieff more or less did take people under his wing during his early teaching career and hypnotize them in ways to serve as fodder for his own psychological experimentation. Supposedly he did help give them the keys so they could consciously overcome it, but this really jarred with my view of him. Before, I couldn’t fathom him doing that to someone he took under his wing as a Fourth Way student. I felt a little betrayed, although I know he ostensibly had the interests of humanity at heart, and that he WAS troubled by this behavior he forced himself to undergo to acquire more data.

I tried to include a bit more information about what is said in the book, and hopefully what Tamdgidi says and my own thoughts on things are easy to tell apart.

whitecoast said:
So I finished Gurdjieff and Hypnosis.

Did you read the Collingwood books first as strongly suggested/urged by me?

I'm currently on part five. I took a break from Collingwood to read Tamdgidi because the later half of part 4 was kind of slow for me.

whitecoast said:
I'm currently on part five. I took a break from Collingwood to read Tamdgidi because the later half of part 4 was kind of slow for me.

Without reading both of Collingwood's books first, you will not have the knowledge base or conceptual context for understanding and interpreting what Tamdgidi wrote about Gurdjieff. I emphasized the importance of reading it first for a very definite and specific reason.

ADDED: I am very much guided by the Cs in what I read and the order in which I read it; this is evident from the many discoveries made by following their hints and my "nose". I TRY to share that process with others so that they can have some of the same insights. But, obviously, those who can't grasp that idea or the often very strong hints I give will not benefit from these efforts.

I'm just about finished the book. The quote below from the book struck me as interesting as I was reading.

Part V said:
But there is a third alternative. In realizing its own rationality, mind also realizes the presence in itself of elements that are not rational. They are not body; they are mind, but not rational mind or thought. To use an old distinction, they are psyche or soul as distinct from spirit. These irrational elements are the subject-matter of psychology. They are the blind forces and activities in us which are part of human life as it consciously experiences itself, but are not parts of the historical process: sensation as distinct from thought, feelings as distinct from conceptions, appetite as distinct from will. Their importance to us consists in the fact that they form the proximate environment in which our reason lives, as our physiological organism is the proximate environment in which they live. They are the basis of our rational life, though no part of it. Our reason discovers them, but in studying them it is not studying itself. By learning to know them it finds out how it can help them to live in health, so that they can feed and support it while it pursues its own proper task, the self-conscious creation of its own historical life.

At first thought, I thought Collingwood could be describing the System 1 of Kahneman. Thinking about it he could also be describing the Predator mind and/or programs. Seems that Collingwood is saying to use the reasoning rational mind to see and understand these irrational parts of ourselves in order to enable the rational mind (System 2 or real I) to take control and form the basis for how we act in life.

SAO said:
Yeah I was always confused by the limited quantity of knowledge concept, and that for someone to gain it, someone else has to lose it. The best I could come up with is that the more knowledge is globally suppressed, the more vital it is for a small group to collect and preserve it so it is not entirely lost to the future. But the collection doesn’t cause the global loss - it’s more of an effect, tho if that’s your calling wouldn’t you value and collect it regardless of whether it is suppressed or not? The only difference is whether that knowledge is valued by the few, or by many. And it is infinitely more beneficial when everyone else can learn it and apply it too, which doesn’t happen if someone doesn’t put in the work to get it and share it.

I agree that knowledge is not limited due to its materiality. However, I can easily see where G came up with this just by observation, especially in the run-up to WWI and WWI itself which was a stupendously insane time. Kind of an Occam's razor thing: he looked around and saw a world going mad and on an individual level found the people around who he spotted as potentially aware to be severely lacking in knowledge. So it would not have been much of a stretch to come to the conclusion: there is so little knowledge around...it must be limited. Of course this idea that knowledge is limited because it is a rare material may also have been one of his Jedi mind tricks with a particular aim in sight (to awaken people to look for knowledge).

On another note, I don't think knowledge can really be suppressed. Sure, lies, misinformation and false knowledge can be put forward, and genetics/physicality can be manipulated but none of this limits a persons inner search for knowledge.

Does it really matter why knowledge seems to be rare? The embedded assumption/hope is that if knowledge is limitless, all we need to do is remove the impediments in people's minds, hearts and souls and humanity will rise up en masse with real knowledge. But, if a paltry 144K out of 6 or 7 Billion is a great harvest indeed, well....

Back
Top Bottom