Collars

I have a Jack Russell, well I suppose that says it all. I just hadn't realised that their nature is to 'hunt', first, middle and last! It is the only thought it seems, going through her little mind. The life she leads, is on a lead, but she doesn't wear a collar at all, except on walks of course. The reason for this is that I just know if ever she did manage to sneak off and hunt a while, that getting caught up in a hedge or down a hole somewhere is a distinct possibility; so no collar. She has a microchip for ID should anyone find her and take her to a vet, but of course I wonder about this. I guess it is fair to say that in relation to losing our pets, we are more inclined to be STS and avoid a sense of loss or helplessness; my heart lunges around inside me at the thought of her in 'trouble'.

She's two now and only goes out on a lead. I would like to let her romp and play off the lead, but experience has shown me that when 'free', she also has cloth ears and doesn't not recognise my voice; only her nose and the thought of catching something - anything. Rabbits are the main quarry, but really anything that rustles around in the undergrowth is fair game for pouncing on. The other thing is 'thorns'!

All that said, she is the most wonderful teacher and has shown me how to manage my own energy; how to be a 'pack leader'. I'm learning and our relationship grows.

Back
Top Bottom