Changing the past by changing the present

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I can't remember the context in which the idea that we can 'change the past by changing the present' has been presented, but I'm pretty sure it has been talked about here (I think by Laura).

Anyway, I've been reading the book "Deep survival, who lives, who dies and why". Not too far into the book he states:

"Doing almost anything generates new links among neurons. The process of learning something and the essence of memory has been observed by neuroscientists in the lab: Genes make new proteins in order to store information and they make new proteins in order to bring that information back as a memory. This process is called "reconsolidation", because, as Joseph LeDoux, a neuroscientist and author of "The Synaptic Self", put it, "the brain that does the remembering is not the brain that formed the initial memory. In order for the old memory to make sense in the current brain, the memory has to be updated".

This made me think of the idea of fixing or changing the past by changing the present in that it made me think that each of our pasts is only *real* in the sense that it is a specific memory and that specific memory is made up of neural connections. The specific events as they objectively transpired could be very different but that is irrelevant to us because we have our *version* of the events that we encoded/hardwired into our brains.

So by actively reviewing our past experiences in the present and trying to understand them better we may literally rewire our brains by updating the original connections and thereby literally change our pasts in not only a real way but in the ONLY way that that our specific personal pasts ever had any reality i.e. in the form of the neural pathways that were laid down and represented those experiences.

Anyway, all of this is probably already understood by most here, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Perceval said:
Anyway, all of this is probably already understood by most here, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Glad you brought it up. Though it may already be understood, I think that being an active force in applying all this to our own experience / understanding / re-wiring is really key; applying the knowledge of how this works. When reading the new thread today on Information theory, and the quotes from several of the Seth books mentioned there, I was reminded of some other ideas from that source that speaks to what you've written. Funny how that works!

From Jane Roberts' The Nature of Personal Reality:

Each condition is as real or unreal as the other. Which you? Which world? You have your choice, broadly, within certain frameworks that you have chosen as a part of your creaturehood. The past as you think of it, and the subconscious, again as you think of it, have little to do with your present experience outside of your beliefs about them. The past contains for each of you some moments of joy, strength, creativity and splendor, as well as episodes of unhappiness, despair perhaps, turmoil and cruelty. Your present convictions will act like a magnet, activating all such past issues, happy or sad. You will choose from your previous ex- perience all of those events that reinforce your conscious beliefs, and so ignore those that do not; the latter may even seem to be nonexistent.

As mentioned in this book (in Chapter Four, for instance), the emerging memories will then turn on the body mechanisms, merging past and present in some kind of harmonious picture. This means that the pieces will fit together whether they are joyful or not.

This joining of the past and present, in that context, predisposes you to similar future events, for you have geared yourself for them. Change now quite practically alters both the past and the future. For you, because of your neurological organization, the present is obviously the only point from which past and future can be changed, or when action becomes effected.

I am not speaking symbolically. In the most intimate of terms, your past and future are modified by your present reactions. Alterations occur within the body. Circuits within the nervous system are changed, and energies that you do not understand seek out new connections on much deeper levels far beyond consciousness.

Your present beliefs govern the actualization of events. Creativity and experience are being formed moment by moment by each individual. Period, and break.

Now: You must understand that your present is the point at which flesh and matter meet with the spirit. Therefore the present is your point of power in your current lifetime, as you think of it. If you assign greater force to the past, then you will feel ineffective and deny yourself your own energy.

For an exercise, sit with your eyes wide open, looking about you, and realize that this moment represents the point of your power, through which you can affect both past and future events.

The present seen before you, with its intimate physical experience, is the result of action in other such presents. Do not be intimidated therefore by the past or the future. There is no need at all for undesirable aspects of your contemporary reality to be projected into the future, unless you use the power of the present to do so.

If you learn to get hold of this feeling of power now, you can use it most effectively to alter your life situation in whatever way you choose — again, within those limitations set by your creaturehood. If you were born without a limb, for example, your power in the present cannot automatically regenerate it in this life, although in other systems of reality YOU do possess that limb. (See Seth's Preface, as well as the 615th session in Chapter Two.)

Exterior conditions can always be changed if you understand the principles of which I am speaking. Diseases can be eliminated, even those that seem fatal — but only if the beliefs behind them are erased or altered enough so that their specific focusing effect upon the body is sufficiently released. The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. Your physical circumstances change automatically as your beliefs do. As your knowledge grows, so your experience becomes more fulfilling. This does not necessarily mean that it evens out in any way, or that there are not peaks and valleys. Each aspiration presupposes the admission of a lack, each challenge presupposes a barrier to be overcome. The more adventurous will often choose greater challenges, and so in their minds the contrasts between what they want to achieve and their present status can seem to be impossible.

The way I understand it FWIW is not exactly about recreating different memories (this happens unconsciously, memories tend to distort with time) but even if we take past facts without changing them, an understanding of the present might put those past memories into a more comprehensive context, where past and present are part of the same logic as if the arrow of causality runs in both directions.

A silly example: I found a book some time ago, and today I'm reading that book. I cound be reading that book because I found it, or maybe I found that book because I was meant to read it. This is somehow related to some local manifestations of teleology.

On the other hand, the subject reminds me of this remark of the C's in one transcript where the subject was Einstein's work on the UFT:
A: Yes. Einstein found that not only is the future open, but also the present and the past. Talk about scary!!
Maybe one metaphysical possibility is that present conscious activity not only fixes the possibilities in the present and to some extent in the future, but possibly in the past as well, meaning that the extent of consciousness fixing of ""quantum"" possibilities rewrites to some extent the lifeline of a consciousness curve of learning beyond the perceived instant of the present. If it were true, the rewriting of past memories in this particular case wouldn't be a mere distortion of the interpretation of past events, but true memories of past events that were really updated. It is of course speculative but some recent experiments in quantum physics seem to show that in some specific cases, a present measurement can determine state back in time. The extrapolation can be a little right or completely wrong though.

This is a fascinating subject, I hope learn about it but I feel really ignorant.

Yesterday I was talking with a parking attendant, a man of my age, we were talking about our past, of how now, at our age and our situation, we know some facts about it, the how's and why's but what to do about it now, in this present? and our future? But if these why's and how's can be changed this give us another perspective of this present. And our future.

I know that I can not change, in my past, a bad decision I took. What can I do with this past that is there, that "seems" unchangeable?

Please, what book can I read about the Quantum theory that is accessible to someone who have difficulty with physics , mathematics ?

Sorry if I make noise.

There is a hypnotherapy method called 5PATH by Cal Banyan that is based on this idea, and the techniques used are designed to reinterpret old memories with a more adult and safe view. I've seen amazing and extremely rapid changes in people who have had e.g. depression and have used this method to gain a new perspective on the initial memories that their depression, phobias, etc. are based on. Usually it takes about 5 sessions to complete the method, which is way way faster than any other psychotherapy method I know of.

mkrnhr said:
The way I understand it FWIW is not exactly about recreating different memories (this happens unconsciously, memories tend to distort with time) but even if we take past facts without changing them, an understanding of the present might put those past memories into a more comprehensive context, where past and present are part of the same logic as if the arrow of causality runs in both directions.

A silly example: I found a book some time ago, and today I'm reading that book. I cound be reading that book because I found it, or maybe I found that book because I was meant to read it. This is somehow related to some local manifestations of teleology.

On the other hand, the subject reminds me of this remark of the C's in one transcript where the subject was Einstein's work on the UFT:
A: Yes. Einstein found that not only is the future open, but also the present and the past. Talk about scary!!
Maybe one metaphysical possibility is that present conscious activity not only fixes the possibilities in the present and to some extent in the future, but possibly in the past as well, meaning that the extent of consciousness fixing of ""quantum"" possibilities rewrites to some extent the lifeline of a consciousness curve of learning beyond the perceived instant of the present. If it were true, the rewriting of past memories in this particular case wouldn't be a mere distortion of the interpretation of past events, but true memories of past events that were really updated. It is of course speculative but some recent experiments in quantum physics seem to show that in some specific cases, a present measurement can determine state back in time. The extrapolation can be a little right or completely wrong though.

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's a process of actually "reinterpreting" past experiences and their influences in the sense of "un-distorting" them: both in terms of originally distorted perceptions and any additional distortions added through time to the memories.

And it's somewhat related to what foofighter wrote:

foofighter said:
There is a hypnotherapy method called 5PATH by Cal Banyan that is based on this idea, and the techniques used are designed to reinterpret old memories with a more adult and safe view. I've seen amazing and extremely rapid changes in people who have had e.g. depression and have used this method to gain a new perspective on the initial memories that their depression, phobias, etc. are based on. Usually it takes about 5 sessions to complete the method, which is way way faster than any other psychotherapy method I know of.

The difference is to what extent the process can be effected through the conscious mind and methods as opposed to something like hypnotherapy, accessing the unconscious/subconscious material to affect the process.

Really interesting. The other day I thought about the "expanded presence" and the non-existence of time the C's talked about. Maybe we can understand this in terms of our very real access to our past and future.

By updating our interpretation of our memories (changing our narratives towards a more objective understanding of our past by using new knowledge available to us in the present) we can "change" our past and how it affects us in the here and now. So for example, we can transform past events that at the time seemed horrible to us into necessary and valuable lessons that allow us to learn and grow.

And by doing the Work and becoming able to set Aims for ourselves, we can change our future - choose the best "branch" among the many options lying in front of us based on the best understanding of objective reality that we can muster.

So in a very real sense then, time doesn't exist and we live in the "expanded presence", even though of course this is not how we perceive things in daily life. Fwiw.

I’ve just started reading a book which has the idea in it that our greater, "timeless" Self can interact with our self from earlier decades. The book is Journey into Oneness: A Spiritual Odyssey by Michael J. Roads (Tiburon, California: H. J. Kramer, 1994). The author used to be a farmer in Tasmania, Australia, and writes about some kind of visionary experience he had, long after he stopped being a farmer, in which he interacted on some level with his earlier farmer self. Here are a couple of quotes from the book on non-linear time and on the author’s interaction with his self from the past:

From the Introduction:

When I stepped through those Doors, linear time and corporeal reality ended. Everything of the known was abruptly replaced by an absolute unknown. Time, if it had any meaning at all, was spherical, so that all points of a sphere were the same time – always! Truly, an eternal now.
[. . .]
You see the dilemma of trying to tell it as it happened. As soon as I write the words of events in spherical time, I create linear time – and it was not a linear experience.
After a few years, I decided that the book I wanted to write would not come to be. Then, one night, I leapt out of bed from a deep sleep, filled with insight and clarity. I was inspired to create an allegorical frame in which to present the picture of my story. For me, the essence of this story is wholeness, for life is holistic. I have designed the allegorical frame to take an experience from beyond the confinements of time and present it in such a way that it is accessible, inspiring, understandable, and, I hope, enjoyable.

From Chapter One:

I fell, tumbling over and over, I tumbled through time and space, light and dark, up and down, and I kept falling . . . falling . . . falling.

Somehow, as I fell I was able to relax, surrendering to the experience, and as I released my falling slowed. I could see beneath me a huge illuminated pool of what I could only describe as energy [. . .]
When I landed, safely and easily, I was bewildered to find that the energy pool was the farm I had owned and worked on many years previously when Treenie [the author's wife] and I had lived in Tasmania.
As I stared around me, even more disconcerted, I became the dual experience of me in the past, a farmer, and Self of Now. As the farmer I saw only a farm with all its attendant problems. As Self, I experienced the matrix of illumined energy expressing itself through all the complex forms that make up a farm.
[. . .]
To achieve the increase in production, farmer-me spread chemical fertilizers into the matrix of energy/physical farm. By introducing chemical manipulation, Self observed that farmer-me caused a reaction in the pool of energy. This produced a twofold result. First, there was an increase in production, accompanied by a ripple of discord in the environment. This, in turn, led to an increase in various cattle diseases and an even greater separation from Nature.

There was no quick and easy way out. Calling Seine [Seine was a cat-like humanoid being that the author encountered in his visionary experience, that was some kind of guide to him] for help was out of the question! The only solution was to begin a program to enlighten farmer-me and change his farming practice by changing his view of life. And so I began – or tried to begin. As Self, I talked to farmer-me, speaking truth into his heart. He was receptive, but as I whispered into his ear, my silent words were drowned by the crescendo of negative thoughts that roared like a whirlwind through his mind. Self experienced shock, having forgotten this aspect of the farmer-me past. As Self, I eased back from the pressure I had been applying to farmer-me. I realized that a patient, persistent, gentle approach was required. Besides, he was me! This was the ultimate irony. I, as Self, was now teaching the farmer-me of nearly two decades ago! To think that I had once belived in orderly illustons like time!

As Self, I reached out into the All, and I reeled in shock. I encountered the expanded Self of countless numbers of humans encouraging the identity self of that moment as they struggled toward Self-knowing. Surely, the paradox of all paradoxes. The higher Self that I, and others like me, had struggled to reach was never above or beyond, or in the distant future, but the truth of who we are, right here and now. A quantum leap was required, a real surrender in consciousness, not a conceptual surrender of the intellect.

I, Self, laughed and laughed. What matter time? I had all the time in the world for Michael, the farmer-me of the past. In fact, only by changing farmer-me of the past could I become the Self of Now! If only I had known – if only any of us knew – that the person we are now is a composite of many selves from beyond time, space, and separation. Out of the physical world, time is without meaning. People are locked into the belief that our past affects our future, while in reality our future has just as much effect on our past. And the key to all of this is the present!

mkrnhr said:

This I can understand pretty easily. Growing our context in the present by learning about the world, other people, reading history etc., helps us create a more all-encompassing narrative in which to understand our past traumas. Though still, I've found that so far this only works on the conscious level, and that the body remembers emotional trauma in a very personal way which requires different methods, such as journalling and breathing, to help release.

But you all are not talking just about changing our subjective memories to be happier in the present, but about literally changing the past as a result of current efforts, i.e. branching universes and moving into a different reality. This is extremely hard to get my head around, because the feeling of a continuous stream of memories throughout life, together with their associated emotions and sensations, feels so real. It reminds me of the optical illusion posted in the recent Blink thread, where system 1 continues to see the illusion despite the efforts and understanding of system 2.
mkrnhr said:
If past memories can be updated (and maybe they constantly are) then I'm guessing it would be a completely seamless transition, in order to preserve the illusion of a linear progression of events. So for an example, I was in a different reality when I first joined this forum, and in said reality I had a terrible past of trauma and wasted years and depression. But now after working to change the present, I ended up also changing the past, and I'm now in a reality where things aren't and weren't as bad, but I never noticed the change at all.

Laura's recent reply here shed some light on this:
Laura said:
"Pockets of 4th density? Don't you realize that 4D is ALWAYS present and it is only the individual, by his or her choices and development that "move into it"? It is a state of awareness and knowledge and being similar to the state of awareness, knowledge and being of 3D humans vis a vis 2nd density creatures with whom we constantly coexist. There are "many worlds" and the one you end up on at any point in "space-time" depends entirely on YOUR choices and development. And it will appear to the mind to be a natural development.

I'm sure there is an earth reality in which I made different choices. On some of them I am still married to my ex husband living an uncomfortable, miserable life, plagued with the symptoms of my auto-immune condition, never pursued the Cs experiment, never changed my diet, etc. But the me on this present earth reality did make certain choices, and each choice led me step by step in a diagonal path from that other reality/earth to the present one. For all we know, THAT earth has already been impacted by a series of Tunguska like events.

There are many who make choices to go to a different reality than the one I may end up on as a function of my choices. Some of those individuals may interact with me for a time before making a choice to go in a different direction, to follow a different branching universe while I continue to pursue the branches of seeking ever more knowledge, being, service to others, etc. It may be that the earth/reality I end up on - and those who associate with me and pursue similar paths, only suffers comet borne plague which wipes out 96% of humanity and leaves only us to shape the future of our reality; while those who made different choices find themselves on a planet where cometary/asteroidal destruction is widespread and devastating and psychopaths end up on top. But in each case, it will seem to be a smooth and natural process and each individual will be on the earth/reality where they fit by virtue of their awareness, knowledge and being - their frequency resonance vibration.
So, don't look for some magical mystery event where you get to see or experience or move into 4th density if you have not made the choices to become a part of an ever-present reality.

This line of thought brings up more questions that I can't properly put into words yet. But I guess the gist of it is to keep working on yourself, making positive action in the present without anticipation, and you may achieve a whole lot more than you thought possible.

Fascinating topic. Just adding my 2 cents here, I was thinking that there might be something to do with frequencies and "karma", or rather how much STS or STS energy we add to life.

For example, by learning and gaining more information, and making more conscious choices in the present learning from our past (e.g. I understand why I made X mistake, but it hurt others and I don't want to ever do that again), perhaps there is a sort of rewriting of the past. Not in our 3D reality because we interpret it in a very linear way, but like Laura explained, in other branches. And, maybe by trying to get closer to STO, we lower the entropy we created in the past. That way, perhaps something gets picked up by others and their interpretation of the memory also changes. I am thinking in particular of how, when a parent changes and learns from his or her mistakes, the children learn to forgive the past wounds inflicted on them by that parent. It happens very rarely, unfortunately. But when we do something, could it be "resetting the clock" on some events? If SOTT didn't exist, what reality would we be living in? How many people who are now readers would still believe a bunch of propaganda?

Just a few thoughts, but I have no idea how this might work in the "tangible" reality. Maybe that is part of the problem, trying to understand it while still thinking of the concept of time as we know it.

It does make a kind of intuitive sense that there should be a double arrow between the present Now and both past/future, making all of time a kind of "package" deal. The single arrow that we are used to thinking about might correspond with robotic/programmed existence - the second arrow coming into play with real DOing based in knowledge/truth/creativity.

SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's a process of actually "reinterpreting" past experiences and their influences in the sense of "un-distorting" them: both in terms of originally distorted perceptions and any additional distortions added through time to the memories.[...]

The difference is to what extent the process can be effected through the conscious mind and methods as opposed to something like hypnotherapy, accessing the unconscious/subconscious material to affect the process.

So it is like telling your life story from an observer point of view done with the help of the Work, writing, psychotherapy, etc. "Re-writing your own narrative" like Timothy Wilson suggests in Redirect and Strangers to Ourselves. That can surely have non-linear effects for a stubborn linear-narrative. ;)

Found this essay which adds to the discussion. I'm quoting half-way through:

The Secret Lives of Stories: Rewriting Our Personal Narratives

_http://www.pw.org/content/the_secret_lives_of_stories_rewriting_our_personal_narratives

[...]

These episodes are the currency of our past and the storyboards we arrange to make sense of the things that have happened to us. We line them up like dominoes that lead to where we stand now. That we do this imperfectly has been written about many times. But I am more interested in the invisible threads running from one episode to the next, the forces that hold our stories together. Some have names, like love, or courage, or fear. Others are harder to pin down.

According to psychologist Dan McAdams, the episodes in our memory are not only the material for anecdotes to amuse our friends. They are also the building blocks of our “life story”—our own version of how we came to be the person we are.

Unless we write a memoir, or visit a therapist, we may never even tell anyone this life story, but that doesn’t make it any less important. McAdams and others argue that the ability to see one’s life as a story is at the heart of identity. In fact, our ability to “narrate” our life’s events may even be the defining mark of consciousness.

Building a life story is a process that begins around the time we turn two years old. That’s when we develop what McAdams calls a “primitive autobiographical self.” As we move into adolescence, we start to emphasize different memories we feel were important—events in which we learned something or changed. Then, during our late teens we start to develop a more complicated “personal fable,” in which we dream of the people we could become, like astronauts and presidents. McAdams calls this a “first draft” of our identity. We choose episodes based not only on who we think we are, but also on who we hope we can become.

As we move into young adulthood (between seventeen and twenty-five), things become a little more urgent as we try to compose a “full life story” that explains not only how we got wherever we are, but also what we believe, and who we will in fact be.

But our own past is not the only place from which our life story comes. The memories are our own, but what they mean and how we put them together come from the lives we see around us, from the stories we read and hear, and from whatever possibilities we can imagine.

For most of us, that full life story is never really finished, and is always subject to revision. Even so, it determines much of how our life unfolds. It’s like a road map through the chaos, with arrows pointing one way or another at turning points like failure and success, death and birth, love and loss. That is what our daughter was really asking: How do you live in a world with sadness and fear? And how should I?

After the door closed behind me at Paul Gruchow’s house, I went back to campus. I graduated and my career went slowly on. Yet even as I wrote story after story—hundreds of them—and even as I became a better writer, I still didn’t quite know what a story was, not exactly. Instead I wrote by feel. A story was something I knew if I saw or felt it, but when I tried to put a definition into words, the meaning would slip through my fingers.

You can find this same problem running through much of the discussion about stories, or narrative, these days—and there’s more of it than ever. Narrative neuroscience and narrative psychology are both growing fields. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, a part of the U.S. Department of Defense, is even researching the use of narrative for defense purposes. [ :huh:] Evolutionary biologist and author E. O. Wilson has repeatedly called us the storytelling species, and last April Houghton Mifflin Harcourt published a book by Jonathan Gottschall titled The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human. But like other authors who have tackled the subject, Gottschall never quite articulates what he means when he talks about a story, and the book remains a disappointing collection of platitudes.

So what makes stories so important? What makes them stories at all? I finally stumbled across a kind of answer in a field about as far from the English department as you can get: artificial intelligence.

It turns out one of the biggest problems with making a computer intelligent is getting it to do something that we do naturally, something called “commonsense causal reasoning,” which means understanding instantly when one thing causes another to happen.

“It’s very simple things,” says Andrew Gordon, a researcher at the University of Southern California’s Institute for Creative Technologies. “Like if you tell the computer you dropped an egg, you want the computer to know that it broke, not bounced.”

Gordon and his fellow researchers have been working on this problem for some time. They tried to instill this ability into a computer program by collecting millions of stories from blogs and using them to teach it how to deduce that A causes B.

After they had collected these stories, they designed a test in which they asked the computer a question, such as: “The man lost his balance on the ladder. What happened as a result? 1: He fell off the ladder. 2: He climbed up the ladder.” Or this one: “The man fell unconscious. What was the cause of this? 1: The assailant struck the man in the head. 2: The assailant took the man’s wallet.”

“Computers are horrible at this test,” says Gordon. Humans get the answer right 99 percent of the time—more or less perfectly. The best result they could get from the computer was 65 percent correct, or just 15 percent better than chance.

The computer, in other words, could not understand what we call causality. It couldn’t see how the ripples spreading from one event caused another to occur. It couldn’t see the forces that were secretly at work in our stories, but which we never name. For a computer, a Lincoln Continental is just a car—steel is just steel.

“Storytelling is a human universal,” Gordon says. “There’s not a culture that doesn’t tell stories. It’s something embedded in our genes that makes us good storytellers. It’s a huge survival advantage, because you can encapsulate important information from one person to another and share it within a group. So there’s a good reason to be good storytellers.”

But the utility of storytelling has to do with causality, the ability to determine what causes what. Causality is the thing that helps you plan. Causality helps you decide what must be done to get what you need, or want, or want to avoid. You might know how the world is, but if you want to know how it got that way, you have to understand causality. If you want to know how to change it in order to effect your goals, or if you want to know what to expect in the future, you have to understand causality. When you tell a story, you’re trying to bring what Gordon calls “causal coherence” to events that are ordered in time.

Whether computers will ever be able to understand not only what happens in a story, but also why it happened and why it matters, remains uncertain. At the moment, they are very far from that point.

We, on the other hand, are already there. We see causality constantly, incessantly, and effortlessly: when we read the news, when we gossip about neighbors, when we watch a movie or read a book. Much of our life is the search for the causal links between events, for the forces at work not only in the physical world, but also in the hearts and minds of the people we know. We are constantly cataloguing the story lines around us in an effort to sort out our own. What causes greatness? What causes failure? What causes happiness? What causes goodness or evil? What causes sadness and fear?

Radio journalist Ira Glass has said that his mentor, Keith Talbot of National Public Radio, once advised, “Every story is an answer to the question: How should I live my life?”

Or, as the poet Muriel Rukeyser once wrote, “The universe is made of stories, not atoms.

The headline came as a shock: “Author Paul Gruchow, who chronicled the prairie, dies at 56.” In late February of 2004, Gruchow took his own life with a drug overdose.

There were few details. Obviously, he had been deeply depressed. According to one article, when asked several months before his death how he wanted to be remembered, Gruchow replied, “Tell them I got up and said a few words.” According to another, when an old friend wrote to ask if he could do a story about him, Gruchow wrote back: “Last year I earned $62.85 in royalties and gave one public talk, in Duluth, that drew a dozen listeners…. Two or three times the phone rings. Usually I don’t answer it. There isn’t a story.”

There was a story, but perhaps not one he wanted to tell. It almost certainly wasn’t the one he’d imagined when he dreamed of becoming a writer. Maybe it was the story he’d been trying to tell me all those years ago when I sat across from him.

But it wasn’t the story I heard. What I heard was that it was not going to be easy, that it would take time and effort, and that I would have to endure hardships. Those were warnings that have served me well.

Looking back now, his words seem to take on another meaning, another kind of caution, one that has little to do with writing, and everything to do with life: Down there in our stories, the ones we tell ourselves, the ones we tell others, the ones we hope are true, the ones we fear might be, are forces at work that we can only ever halfway understand. Knowing how causalities hold our past together doesn’t mean we can always see what those causalities are.

What I heard from Gruchow was this: Writing, creating something so beautiful that it may outlast you, is so important that you must be prepared to suffer for it, and then keep going on. That has always been a part of my story, and that is one of the reasons I am still writing nearly twenty years later.

That may also be why the news of Gruchow’s death, so many years after we met, filled me with a deep and unexpected sadness. It was a sadness born of the realization that while I thought he and I had been reading from the same script, perhaps we weren’t. It drove home the understanding that at each of life’s crossroads, what you believe deep down determines which way you turn.

Be mindful, in other words, of the stories you believe, the stories you love, and the stories you choose to tell. Because in the end they may become your own.

Interesting topic. This reminds me, in part, of an article posted on SotT years ago: Does The Past Exist Yet? Evidence Suggests Your Past Isn't Set in Stone - where history is said to be a "biological phenomenon."

While growing up, my family never talked about the past nor encouraged thinking about it. My mother's motto is to "forget the past," which she inherited from her own mother, due to some forms of personal trauma within the family. She simply wanted to escape the pains and couldn't deal with it, and passed that onto my mother, who reinforce that belief without question. My own curiosity broke this chain and my perception of the past changes while I learned about my family history and my attitudes towards them changes. Instead of constantly feeling the anger and resentment towards my mother or any of my family members on the way they acted/behaved, I adjusted my attitude towards them with understanding and compassion based on what I had learned objectively.

Changing the past by changing the present could also be referred to our overall attitudes towards ourselves and towards others? I'm thinking here of "Life experiences reflect how one interacts with the Universe."

Chu said:
I am thinking in particular of how, when a parent changes and learns from his or her mistakes, the children learn to forgive the past wounds inflicted on them by that parent.

People around us are our reflection and this is possible probably beacause each of us is traveler among realities, we change realities, It's going not because we create a new reality, or people in some miracle way start to behave different, but because we skip our consciousness into another realities wich is a one of alternative realities, which are certain constant. The whole process happens time and time again.

If we get some person who exist in some reality (she/he has sense that this is her/his own, etc.) and in some point of experiencing of life in that reality, which is one of many for he/she, and she/he decide that doesn't want behave in an agressive way and start behave more compassionately. She/he immediately skip to reality where the child choose to be remissive and this is one of alternative realities for child, while in the "real" reality of the children he/she may doesn't do it. I put the word "real" in inverted commas because in fact this is another and like any other of many alternative realities where some kind scenario takes place.

On one occasion while discussing about physics C's say:
October 23, 1999
Classical negates consciousness, regarding the mind as merely a function of chemical functions and electrical impulses occurring within a vacuum, rather than being interfaced with the rest of creation at all levels of density and all dimensions, which is of course, the case.

The world around of each of us is in a sense "illusion", but based on the objective laws, that determine the environment by our development of consciousness.

Of course it is only theory.

If SOTT didn't exist, what reality would we be living in? How many people who are now readers would still believe a bunch of propaganda?

Probably in another alternative reality are people like us who chose live in reality where SOTT never will be bring to life, assuming that they are still alive in the "2013".

Changing the past in the postive way may be the effect of the merging reality with the reality which existed as wasted opportunities which just seeping to someone bad reality in the form of knowledge containted in books and consciousness of another people, poeple who built their life from the begenning in a creative way and not suffer hopeless way. It can also be a life of the same person, only that in an alternative reality which that person didn't chose.

Just my take, FWIW.

mkrnhr said:

That's pretty much what I meant (although I didn't make it clear enough). I meant that by reviewing our past experiences (memories) from a perspective of truth seeking and "the Work", we may come to view our past (and memories) very differently and in a different context as you say, which would, as I understand, require some "rewiring" that would essentially change the way we see the past and therefore literally change the past because the only 'reality' that particular past (as we have known it) has, is in our memory of it which is basically a bunch of physical neuronal connections. There may even be added "power" to this kind of reality reshaping if our reinterpretation of the past event makes it more in line with what ACTUALLY happened (including all the variables and grey areas that we prefer not to consider).

Back
Top Bottom