Cassiopaean timeline

Lat and long is good, but a name is also important. Some of the names will be entities that no longer exist, such as Scythia or Roman Empire. The names change over time, and they will also extend in space from a particular lat and long.

If we ever want to move from a timeline to a map, these bits of info will be important.

Galahad said:
Lat and long is good, but a name is also important. Some of the names will be entities that no longer exist, such as Scythia or Roman Empire. The names change over time, and they will also extend in space from a particular lat and long.

If we ever want to move from a timeline to a map, these bits of info will be important.

Exactly right. Also, even when not showing the data on a map it would be useful information. Basically, the more data we have the better. If anyone comes up with things in their datasets that aren't in the current data model we'll add them.

Burma Jones said:
Already have source (didn't list that, sorry) and location (lat and long). Proli should also put in text of the location. Author, for security reasons, is always a good idea, yeah.
Right, and like I said, location might be broken up into several fields. That way you can find out events happening in the same place or same region at a particular time.

This isn't rocket science. We have a timeline from open source code with a predefined set of attributes. We also have a database that already can hold said data, deliver it to the timeline and display it.
If all you want to do is get data and display it in a timeline, you're absolutely right. That's not rocket science, and a relational database might work ok to do it. The moment you want to do anything else with the same data you might be in trouble though. But it all really depends on how you want to use the data, and how complex the data is going to be. For example, right now it seems you only handle events. Do you want to handle people too? Like, "Dude X was born on 1234, son of Y, did Z in his life, knew A,B and C" and so on. That's a completely different way to look at similar data (it has the "born on" related to the events, but everything else is different), and which will require its own table if you use a relational database. But then it will be harder to do queries that relate events and people. But again, it all depends on if you want to do something like that in the first place. What you have now is simple, and perfectly fine. If you want to expand, it might be simplistic and not so practical. That's all.

I don't see how simile timeline prefers RDF. What I feed it is a json encoded array of objects, which it likes just fine. Creating that array from my relational database is simple as pie.
I wasn't really thinking of the timeline, but more the Longwell widget:
http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Longwell
and of course the Exhibit project:
http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/

As for your comments on relational databases pretty much only being good for keeping bank accounts....uhm, what?!
That's what they were built for (large sets of highly structured data), so they're really good at that. Large sets of semi-structured data, not so much.

Actually, you don't know anything of the sort. You have no idea how busy I am right now. For the past few nights I haven't been able to get to bed until about 3am, working solid through the day and night. What I am eager to do is get some sleep! However, I know from a whole lot of real world experience that a project as simple as this doesn't require a lot of design (see above comment on rocket science). What it does require is a continual movement of energy so that it doesn't stall.
If all you want to do with the data is the timeline, then you're fine. Otherwise, probably not. That's all.

The most difficult part of it is the data collection. Once we have the data, we can do anything we like with it. I really don't care what form it comes in or what headings are used. The only thing I care about is that it is complete and in some sort of structured format that can be parsed. As for date formats, if someone is going to collect 1,000 data points from various sources that use various date formats, they would have to go through all of those to make sure the date formatting is correct. At that point, they might as well just enter the data into a web form. I'd rather just write a parser that can handle any date format and make things as easy as possible on those collecting the data.
So if you have a spreadsheet with 1000 rows, and about 15 columns, you want people to put that into a web form? If one row takes about 1 minute to enter (4 secs per cell), that'll be roughly 17 hours for the data entry. Is that what you are suggesting? How is that making it easy for those collecting the data? Also, what date is this: "09/05/06"? There's no way you can know, unless the format is given.

Compare that to: you spend a couple of hours making a template spreadsheet, with fixed formats. Whenever someone is done with data harvesting (from a book, or online, or whatever), and have put it into the spreadsheet, they can simply upload that, which takes a minute or two. If they want to update the data, they just resubmit the spreadsheet. How did you intend to do data correction with the web form?

A few hours of thinking and preparing now may save you, and everyone else, loads of time later.

foofighter said:
Right, and like I said, location might be broken up into several fields. That way you can find out events happening in the same place or same region at a particular time.

Agreed. That makes the filtering much easier than doing a spatial query on lat/long.

foofighter said:
If all you want to do is get data and display it in a timeline, you're absolutely right. That's not rocket science, and a relational database might work ok to do it. The moment you want to do anything else with the same data you might be in trouble though.

Not even remotely true. I'm not speaking theoretically, here. I have a *lot* of experience implementing relational databases in very high traffic sites with various types of data structures. Let's not get into that here, though. This sort of discussion will only serve to suck energy out of the task at hand.

foofighter said:
But it all really depends on how you want to use the data, and how complex the data is going to be. For example, right now it seems you only handle events. Do you want to handle people too?

As I already wrote:

Burma Jones said:
What we have in the db schema that is implemented on the timeline yet but will be very soon:
tags (for filtering)
people involved (this will give an option of either getting more info on the person or filtering the timeline to show events involving this person)

foofighter said:
Like, "Dude X was born on 1234, son of Y, did Z in his life, knew A,B and C" and so on. That's a completely different way to look at similar data (it has the "born on" related to the events, but everything else is different), and which will require its own table if you use a relational database. But then it will be harder to do queries that relate events and people.

No, it isn't harder.

foofighter said:
But again, it all depends on if you want to do something like that in the first place. What you have now is simple, and perfectly fine. If you want to expand, it might be simplistic and not so practical. That's all.

No, it isn't difficult to expand on what I have. And remember, you haven't seen the entire database schema.

foofighter said:
I wasn't really thinking of the timeline, but more the Longwell widget:
http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Longwell
and of course the Exhibit project:
http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/

But we aren't implementing those widgets, we are implementing the timeline. Though as I said, if we do implement them or something else, delivering the data in whatever form they prefer from mysql is a trivial matter.

foofighter said:
So if you have a spreadsheet with 1000 rows, and about 15 columns, you want people to put that into a web form? If one row takes about 1 minute to enter (4 secs per cell), that'll be roughly 17 hours for the data entry. Is that what you are suggesting? How is that making it easy for those collecting the data? Also, what date is this: "09/05/06"? There's no way you can know, unless the format is given.

Yes, I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole there. It would be faster for folks to adjust the dates in a spreadsheet than to enter each into a web form, but needing to adjust the dates in a spreadsheet still requires extra work and is prone to error. The best way to handle the situation above is simply to attach a note saying something like "Dates are in the form yy/mm/dd" then parsing them is easy. If folks are data mining from the web, a given source will have a specific way in which it formats dates. Keeping each of those data sources in its own file would be very handy. Also, if the data source is from the web, we shouldn't ever have the problem of arbitrarily formatted dates.

The long and short of it is this: in order to move forward we need data. Spreadsheet form would be just lovely. XML, RDF or any other structured format would be just dandy to. Heck, mix and match if you like. Data translation from one structured format to another is an easy thing to do. Just lets get the data in one spot to play with. All of the talk doesn't really get to the heart of the matter: DO something. You can't steer a ship that isn't moving.

Here is a list of the columns needed in your spreadsheet, if that is how you collect data (absolutely necessary info is in green):

NameDescriptionstart_datetimeend_datetimeImageTypeCountryRegion/CountyCityPostal CodeLatLong

That should cover the basics of events. If I've left anything out, let me know, or just add it to your own spreadsheet and it will be accounted for in the data model.

People should be covered with:

First nameMiddle NameLast NameBirth placeBirth dateDeath DateDescriptionevent_ids

I realize the first/middle/last name format doesn't really cover the majority of names in the world. One obvious solution is to put family name into last name and given name into first name, will everything else going into middle name. There might be a better solution to this, though. Anyone have one?

As for linking events to people, there will need to be some sort of id on the events data. You can simply use the row number from your spreadsheet. Since people would often be linked to more than one event, you can just put the spreadsheet row numbers into the event_ids column separated by commas (1,57,32058). Notice that I didn't use a comma in the number 32058. Just pointing that out since writing large numbers with commas can be a habit.

This should get us going. Please, feel free to add, suggest, etc. Let's just get this show on the road. :o)

Burma Jones said:
NameDescriptionstart_datetimeend_datetimeImageTypeCountryRegion/CountyCityPostal CodeLatLong

That should cover the basics of events. If I've left anything out, let me know, or just add it to your own spreadsheet and it will be accounted for in the data model.

What about a SOURCE field? I think this will be important for 1) verifying the info, 2) setting up comparisons between 'our' timeline and the generally accepted model.

People should be covered with:

First nameMiddle NameLast NameBirth placeBirth dateDeath DateDescriptionevent_ids

I could also imagine a table of relationships: CHILD OF, MARRIED TO. Other relationships could be worked out from these, I think.

Galahad said:
What about a SOURCE field? I think this will be important for 1) verifying the info, 2) setting up comparisons between 'our' timeline and the generally accepted model.

Yeah, definitely a source field. Actually, as many sources as can be found if this is to be used as a research tool. They can be treated similarly to the people links, with a table of sources and comma delimited list of rows in a source_id field in the events table.

Galahad said:
I could also imagine a table of relationships: CHILD OF, MARRIED TO. Other relationships could be worked out from these, I think.

Yup, though I think research on people should follow a separate path by folks focusing in on that. One way to approach it would be to get the events with whatever basic people links we have, then look at what data is missing for people and start putting that together as a parallel project. It wouldn't hurt if someone was feeling ambitious and wanted to get a lot of data together in one shot. I just don't think that anyone should feel obliged to do that much research in order to get involved in a useful way.

So, for anyone interested in getting involved with this, I think for organization sake we should assign types of data. That could mean someone putting together a spreadsheet of the Cs timeline, someone else for archaeology, etc. It could also mean people taking specific eras or subject matters, like the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, etc. Just post what you'd like to take here. The Cs timeline might not be needed since that has already been posted and isn't too long. I can get that into the database myself.

Is there going to be a data entry form for the project kinda like the SOTT page editors use? Where people who have permissions can access these forms and add data directly? Like, if I'm reading a book and come across good stuff, I can just put it right in there?

What if you don't have ALL the info for the various fields? Just most of it?

Galahad said:
How do you want to format dates that are BC?

For now, you can just add an extra column in your spreadsheet for BC. There is an ISO standard for how to write BC dates, but it might be a bit confusing for folks. As long as there is some mark identifying a date as BC, I can translate.

Laura said:
Is there going to be a data entry form for the project kinda like the SOTT page editors use? Where people who have permissions can access these forms and add data directly? Like, if I'm reading a book and come across good stuff, I can just put it right in there?

What if you don't have ALL the info for the various fields? Just most of it?

There will be a form for doing individual entries. I'll have it up very soon. The only data you *need* to have in order for something to show up on the timeline is a name (the text that shows on the timeline) and a starting date. Those will be marked on the form. I could make it so that even if you don't have a date but want to put some data in, you could do that then come back to it later. To make that useful, would just need to have a page that would allow you to see all of your incomplete data in one spot.

(C) 80,000 years ago [78,000 BC], appr: Venus enters solar system

(C) 79~80+,000 years ago [77~78+,000 BC], appr: Destruction of Kantek, planet between Mars and Jupiter, via psychic energy of planet’s inhabitants, forming asteroid belt. Transfer of population to Earth. Neanderthals exist side by side with the “new model” from Kantek for 233 years before being “retired” to other planets [4/15/00].

Does anybody know if the very close timing of these 2 events of 'Venus enters solar system' and 'Destruction of Kantek' has been discussed already somewhere?

I found by 'search' the following though:
Shijing said:
E said:
Now that I'm re-reading the wave, I remembered about that 'twin sun' / dark companion. Don't know too much about that either, and I'm not checking out cross references in this reading of the wave, cause I don't want to get distracted. Just thought I'd throw it in as another option to consider - basically to say that the anatomy of our galaxy might have been so different at that point in time, that there might be a host of things we're not considering because we think of it in terms of the way it is now.

I think that's very true -- uniformitarianism guides mainstream cosmology, just as it does anthropology. We know that Kantek was destroyed about the same time Venus entered our solar system from outside -- so we effectively lost and gained a planet simultaneously, but Venus is supposed to have passed Earth seven times before settling down into a regular orbit, and I wonder if in doing so Earth was nudged farther from the sun, since before Venus' entrance Earth should have only been second from the sun, after Mercury.

GotoGo, regarding the above, I'm not aware of anywhere else this is discussed. I think it is interesting that the loss and and addition of solar system bodies so close to each other in time is sort of like an atom losing an electron and needing to pull another one in from somewhere in order to replace it -- very hermetic maxim. I think its an interesting question, because the loss of Kantek and the addition of Venus to the solar system were two of the most significant events affecting human Earth history then and since.

GotoGo said:
Does anybody know if the very close timing of these 2 events of 'Venus enters solar system' and 'Destruction of Kantek' has been discussed already somewhere?

There is this:

Session 941116 said:
Q: (L) Did Atlantis go down as a series of destructions?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) How many cataclysms?
A: Three.
Q: (L) Were these cataclysms all caused by the same source?
A: No.
Q: (L) And you said that the "flood of Noah" was the story of
the final deluge and destruction of Atlantis?
Q: (L) And that was caused by what?
A: Venus.
Q: (L) I thought you said it was caused by Martek?
Q: (L) Well, how can it be caused by Venus if it was caused
by Martek?
A: Venus also "caused" Martek.
Q: (L) You said that the earth, up to that time, was
surrounded by a water vapor canopy, correct?
Q: (L) And when Mars came by it overloaded the earth's
atmosphere and it fell as a deluge, correct?
A: Close.
Q: (L) When did Venus enter the solar system?
A: 80000 years approximately.
Q: (L) How many close passes to the earth did Venus make?
A: Seven.
Q: (L) Was Venus involved with the planet Kantek which you
said exploded due to psychic energies generated by its
inhabitants?

Nienna Eluch said:
There is this:

Session 941116 said:
Q: (L) Was Venus involved with the planet Kantek which you said exploded due to psychic energies generated by its
inhabitants?

Thanks Nienna Eluch, this does seem quite relevant. Perhaps the most likely explanation for the timing involving these two planets is just sheer coincidence then.

Back
Top Bottom