cartoon: bug-free software

A

abk

2208936749_4f54cbd8ee.jpg

More cartoons

_http://www.flickr.com/photos/abkpix/481005638/in/set-72157600167153489
(Can't seem to put the image inline).

Hi abk, are you creating comics? any 'special' software for that can be used?
I am not really an painter or so but write comics/ cartoons for fun, jokes, dreams, memory, ect.

So Im looking for some kind of software free comic worksuite, if there exist. Google search gives only hitts of
"money software", that feel hustling like to me.

Any recommendations of where to start!?

Hehe, I really like your comics, I don't get all of them and some I think are stretching it a bit, but a lot of them make me laugh my head off!! I went through all your comics last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks for doing them and please keep it up ;)

hungrig said:
Hi abk, are you creating comics? any 'special' software for that can be used?
I am not really an painter or so but write comics/ cartoons for fun, jokes, dreams, memory, ect.

So Im looking for some kind of software free comic worksuite, if there exist. Google search gives only hitts of
"money software", that feel hustling like to me.

Any recommendations of where to start!?
Hi Hungrig,

Thanks for your question.
I usually draw something and then scan it before adding the words.
I got a font creation program with a month free trial before you had to pay. Then I made a couple of fonts from my handwriting.
That really saves me a lot of time and allows me to change words easily if I change my mind.

Andrew (ABK)

Okey, super! Scanners makes life easy, (I just realized i got one, hp scanner) ;D
Thanks for letting me know your way! Thanks!

Hi Hungrig,

If you are not in the mood for drawing or for persons whose drawing skills are not so good, you can always look around in magazines for interesting pictures, scan them as well as some people who have the pose you like and then composite the scans in a program like Photoshop. In that particular program there are also very nice "artistic" filters which transform a photo to a sketch. Then you can add the text you like. This approach might be a bit limiting as it concerns total freedom of creativity because the "raw materials" are already made, but never the less it can be a very nice way to express yourself and have a lot of fun with relatively little technical knowledge.

Otherwise, you can learn a bit about 3D graphics because they provide the "ultimate" tool for visualizing your imagination. For "rookies" there programs that use a pre-made library of various humans who can be dressed and the posed according to your exact wish. From there you can "photograph" them, thus creating all the graphic elements that you require, and then composite them once more to a final picture. There are many nice and cheap 3D programs for the amateur designer if you search in the web. They do require some time to grasp the basic concepts but the results in freedom of expression as you progress are worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, I wish you good inspiration!

hungrig,

you may also give a try to Inkscape - free drawing utility that aims to mimic commercial tools like Corel Draw or Illustrator. it is vector-based drawing program, which means that all once created graphic elements can be later copied and modified. Inkscape is still a "half-product" (latest version as for today is 0.46), with some bugs and defects, but suprisingly usable. there is a possibility to track raster images (like scanned ones) and turn them into vector shapes.

you can learn more at the project's website: http_://www.inkscape.org

and if you need tutorials, lots of them are available around the net.

Hi spyraal! My drawing skill's are not good, in fact, just horrible. Your advices are gold mines.
3D Graphics, sounds very interesting. I dunno really know what I wanna do, probably I will do try my way in both areas. I guess 3D graphics will take some time to grasp, as well with an good computer and time (gahh). I usually do my simple comics in small time-intervals of my life, like, spare the due of time and mood to it. So I will see how this go.

hungrig,

you may also give a try to Inkscape - free drawing utility that aims to mimic commercial tools like Corel Draw or Illustrator. it is vector-based drawing program, which means that all once created graphic elements can be later copied and modified. Inkscape is still a "half-product" (latest version as for today is 0.46), with some bugs and defects, but suprisingly usable. there is a possibility to track raster images (like scanned ones) and turn them into vector shapes.

you can learn more at the project's website: http_://www.inkscape.org

and if you need tutorials, lots of them are available around the net.
Hey lostinself, I'm downloading it! Thank ya! :)

hungrig said:
Hi spyraal! My drawing skill's are not good, in fact, just horrible. Your advices are gold mines.
I second what Spyraal said, there are plenty of illustrators with few technical drawing skills who are able to illustrate almost anything.

See it as an exercise in developping your lateral thinking, if you can't draw something because it's too complicated try to think of ways to express the same idea but from another angle.
Don't think that because you cannot draw it is limiting you, it's not necessarily easy but it is possible.

You could also try to see different styles of illustrations because that would probably help you to see how many ways there are to "express" things.

here are two blogs I just picked up from my list that may spark creative ideas :

_http://blog.twenty2wo.com/
_http://www.digitalabstracts.com/2007/

Of course this may probably going to make you feel like you can't do super cool effect and "there is no way I can't do that kind of thing" feeling but it's really to show you that there are tons of different styles out there.
Get inspired and do it your own way !!

Good luck !!

You can also use Artrage 2, there is a free version available (and a very cheap extended one) :

_http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

See it as an exercise in developing your lateral thinking, if you can't draw something because it's too complicated try to think of ways to express the same idea but from another angle.
Don't think that because you cannot draw it is limiting you, it's not necessarily easy but it is possible.
I did not ever think about that before, to see it as an exercise. I am inspired by that way of seeing it!

You could also try to see different styles of illustrations because that would probably help you to see how many ways there are to "express" things.
Of course this may probably going to make you feel like you can't do super cool effect and "there is no way I can't do that kind of thing" feeling but it's really to show you that there are tons of different styles out there.
Get inspired and do it your own way !!
Yep, you took the words out of my mouth, I have that kind of feeling right now. Also I feel like, ideas and thoughts in themselves, when having them, whatever it be, is the 'thing' that will decide if one would lay work on them or not, if the ideas are honest and real, I would push myself
to "expression", or if mere though loops, nothing will feel meaningful, and therefore feel mechanical.

And so, when I feel it to be real (or think) I noticed that it's easier to drawn, and when not, I always felt the feeling I'm feeling now for example.

So it's only my "will", or, if I really wanna be honest with my ideas, 'that' feeling, would not interfere with me. Like I said, my simple comics, i do, in small time-intervals of my life. My mood and time, makes the idea's to life but not so often.

The styles, tons of it, it will be hard for me to reflect on, but certainly give me new impressions,,, inspiration.. But in seeing this as an exercise in lateral thinking, in altogether or just an exercise, I will probably change my way of seeing this all, I'm thinking about it now, cannot make up my mind. That feels like something real.

Big Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom