Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

I did a quick search and found this article and it says that the canner should be smooth-bottomed. Did you check your stove's manual BTW?

Mariama, thank you for replying. I keep putting off getting the canner and don't think I can leave it any longer with the time it takes for deliveries as they are. Cracking my cooker top fills me with dread but I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. Unfortunately, I don't have the manual anymore so I'll have to think about it a bit more. Thanks for the warning on the pitfalls though.

I have this exact model of Presto Pressure canner.
The bottom is flat, and connects completely with the glass top.
It works wonderfully, I LOVE the dial gauge, and specific read of the pressure at a glance.

I don't know what your mean by "ceramic cooker"?
Hi Debra, Yes mine is similar with glass top. Thank you for the photo as it really lets me see what is possible. Your positive feedback allays my fears and I'm going to go ahead and order it now.It won't arrive for 4 weeks which gives me plenty of time to build up my courage and meat stocks. Gaby mentioned so time ago how in olden days they stored meat in fat.Just for giggles I roasted some pork chops and covered them in fat. I'm going to leave them for 3 months and test them. The devil finds work for idle hands.!!! Very grateful for you letting me know how you feel about your canner.

Hi Debra, Yes mine is similar with glass top. Thank you for the photo as it really lets me see what is possible. Your positive feedback allays my fears and I'm going to go ahead and order it now.It won't arrive for 4 weeks which gives me plenty of time to build up my courage and meat stocks. Gaby mentioned so time ago how in olden days they stored meat in fat.Just for giggles I roasted some pork chops and covered them in fat. I'm going to leave them for 3 months and test them. The devil finds work for idle hands.!!! Very grateful for you letting me know how you feel about your canner.
I guess we can include my childhood in "The Olden Days" category, lol!
My Mom taught me this trick, and I concur, it works amazingly well.
You must be sure that the fat layer is thick, no shallow spots for air to get in.
The layer MUST completely go to the edge of the container, and the container should be glass or ceramic. Eliminates the chance of breakdown/seepage of unwanted metals or plastics.

It works on the same principle as the popular practice of vacuum packing, or when you use wax on the top of jam and jelly in jars.
I have a lot of fun, and find it very rewarding to do this stuff!
Happy Canning!

I guess we can include my childhood in "The Olden Days" category, lol!
My Mom taught me this trick, and I concur, it works amazingly well.

As regards the olden days I think Gaby was referring to 18th/19th centuries.. But wow, I didn't think it survived into the 20th Century,
Yes I used glass dishes and laid a layer of fat on the bottom before laying out the meat. One drawback, it does use a lot of fat. Out of curiosity, can the fat be use again after the meat is removed. I've not gotten that far yet but I do think it's rather a neat way of storing.
Yes, we can call the "The Olden Days"just that. What will we call the present in the times ahead.?

Debra, what size is your canner. Mine is a 23 quart but just looking at it on you tube it's enormous. But I could only see 23 quart when I ordered.
Mine is the 23 quart. The size is for clearance and building pressure, you will be able to stack pint jars two deep, but quarts,only one layer, 7 at a time. It has an AWESOME booklet, still worded and pictures from the 50’s! Tells you how long to can Bear meat! Oh, the fat can be used as long as you clarify it, you know, heat it so any sticky bits of pork chop cook out and settle on the bottom. You want it to be pure fat again.

It has an AWESOME booklet, still worded and pictures from the 50’s! Tells you how long to can Bear meat! Oh, the fat can be used as long as you clarify it, you know, heat it so any sticky bits of pork chop cook out and settle on the bottom. You want it to be pure fat again.

That sounds fantastic. I used to have a Betty Crocker cookbook my mother got early in her 50s-era marriage. The pictures and "tips for new brides" were sure a window into the times.

If you have the capacity, would you be able to scan the part of the manual pertaining to meat and post it here? All the contemporary guides are uniformly against canning protein. I've done it anyway, figuring extra salt, 15lbs and two hours of processing should kill off anything going. The jars seal fine and even bubble for some time after taking them out of the pot. It's worked so far.

That sounds fantastic. I used to have a Betty Crocker cookbook my mother got early in her 50s-era marriage. The pictures and "tips for new brides" were sure a window into the times.

If you have the capacity, would you be able to scan the part of the manual pertaining to meat and post it here? All the contemporary guides are uniformly against canning protein. I've done it anyway, figuring extra salt, 15lbs and two hours of processing should kill off anything going. The jars seal fine and even bubble for some time after taking them out of the pot. It's worked so far.
You wrote that you "used to have..." dang, that sucks. Betty Crocker was a popular book, back in the day.

Tell ya what, I will watch for one out here for you, if you want to replace it. There are LOTS of used bookstores in this town, which is populated with our parents generation.

I have some treasured cookbooks of my Moms as well, and you have given me an idea.
Several of the books are written and compiled by 1st generation settlers, who were living off the land in Northern Alberta. Canada, in the late 1800, early 1900's.

For instance, in the one I really love, there are complete details and instructions from long dead Cree, Beaver and Plains First Nations Grandmothers, on how to make pemmican, how to salt and dry meat and fish, how to load a crock with layers of meat and salt and fat to last through the summer.
I will scan and post that one.

@herondancer , looks like you "scienced" the pressure and time for meat just fine.
According to the manual, 2 hours is a bit of overkill, but, hey, take that Botulism! ;-D

Attachments

• meat1.jpg
    meat1.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 22
  • meat2.jpg
    meat2.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 22
  • meat3.jpg
    meat3.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 12
  • meat4.jpg
    meat4.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks so much for the scans Debra! I keep a folder for when I find cool old-time recipes on the net. I love the tone of the directions. Just calm "do this, then this" and it will be fine. You should read some of the hysteria on the more modern sites and blogs. If it hasn't come from a factory, it's gonna kill you!

Thanks for the offer to look for a replacement book, but don't worry about it. When you are eating paleo/keto, about 3/4 of most cookbooks don't apply anymore. What I do miss were her notes in the margins. Uncles and friends who like certain cookies, recipes that worked when she hosted cocktail parties for my dad's bosses and clients. She was a good corporate wife early on, but then decided once we all hit school she was going back to work as a real estate agent. Pretty daring for the early 70s.

There was a really good book that came out in the early 80's published by Doubleday. The two gals who wrote it had been diplomats' wives, so they had lots of recipes from around the world. In addition to the uber-complete basic skills chapters (just like BC) they had fun things like directions on how to set a table for a small state dinner (!) and how to cook a sea turtle or conch if you happen to have been been gifted one. Pretty wild stuff. The best part was that it was written before the 'fat is bad' message came down. Butter and cream everywhere and Beef Wellington recipe was to die for. I used it so much, it split into a couple of sections.

If it can be useful to you, here is the site I use quite often when I want to make new canning recipes. There are plenty of recipes for canned meals.

It's in French, I'm sorry. But maybe you could translate it?

I am hoping someone can help me on a few questions. My jars and Canner turned up to-day which caused me to get very nervous. This nervousness has been magnified by the fact my husband has gone into a Victor Meldrew mode and is totally against the whole idea of food preservation and storage. Worries about food shortages farther down the line are a step too far for him to take in. I've been reading the instructions all day trying to ignore his negative waves. I am going to do a dummy run tomorrow..........hoping he'll go for a walk when I do. I have read through this thread many times but my heads gone to mush at the moment. The three questions I have below are what I can't seem to find the answers for. Any advice would allow me to appear calm and poised to totally in control..:umm:

1) My jars are 1ltr size which are not quite as big as qrt jars. Will they cook meat for 90mins the same as qrt jars .

2) As my jars are really too big for a meal for 2 people could I put some cauliflour and broccoli in bottom of jar and fill the remaining space with meat. I've watched a few videos but they fill the jars to the top with water. Could I just put some water at the bottom as I would prefer to Raw Pack. In their Raw Pack instructions they say add no water but remove air bubbles. How do you do this if only a little water at bottom.?

3)My pressure regulator is for 15 pounds only. As I can at 11 psi do I need to make adjustments for this regulator.

I'm sorry to hear that Tuatha, hopefully he lets you can in peace! To answer your questions:

I have used 1ltr jars and they worked fine so far, maybe others have had different experiences though?

I've never tried canning meat and vegetable as I always assumed they needed to be processed differently, here's an article on it though so it seems possible.

To get the air bubbles out I used a flat spatula 1588450936994.png like the lady in this video:
There was also a lady who used a kebab skewer in the same way.

I have a Presto canner which is 15 pounds, I didn't need to make any adjustment to can at 11psi, depending on the type of meat/ veggies I think the time varies though. Presto has an online manual that is super helpful: CANNING I usually just follow their recipes and don't bother with youtube as it gets confusing. Maybe your canner has an online manual too?

Like with anything new you may make mistakes, but practice makes perfect! Just make sure to get some cheap meat for the first run (just in case) :-D

I have a Presto canner which is 15 pounds,

Thanks Jenn, The online manual you advised is the exact copy of the manual they sent me. Thanks for your advice and I'll keep looking to see if it's possible to mix the veg and meat. I'll have to get smaller size jars going forward which will solve the problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom