Beef, Green Beans, and Onions w/ Curry Powder

HowToBe

The Living Force
This is a simple recipe I came up with since we've been making more food at home (we're not gluten/dairy free, but I'm managing to avoid it more and more). Basic and fast, we have this regularly now. We don't actually measure the recipe, so the below is just an estimate. We fill up a bag of green beans at the store, which usually weighs about 3 pounds, and use half of the bag to make one of these meals.

Ingredients:
~1-2 pounds Green Beans (AKA snap beans) with the ends removed, of course
1 chopped Onion (more is probably okay.)
1 pound Ground Beef (depending on how hungry we are, we might use 2 pounds)
~1 teaspoon Curry Powder
Some Water

Cook the beef by itself until it is done or nearly done, making sure to get it broken apart. Add onion, green beans, curry powder, and some water in the bottom of the pan (not too much) to help the beans steam. Cook with the lid on until everything is cooked to satisfaction. We cook until at least the onion pieces are transparent and the meat is done. We used to cook until the green beans became somewhat limp and started to darken from the vibrant green they get while steaming, but nowadays I try to catch it while the beans are still bright. We cook this on the "medium" setting on our electric stove's largest burner, in a medium or large pan.

I'm not sure what is best for health reasons, but I reason that less cooking means more nutrients remain. According to one website, 5 minutes of steaming gives greater nutrition for many vegetables, but I don't know if this is true. Also, I used corn starch once to thicken the remaining liquid into a sauce, but I'm avoiding using the stuff now. We may get some arrowroot starch from the local Green Store sometime.

Anyway, I hope someone enjoys this! :P ;D

One must always check the ingredients of curry powder since it generally contains inflammatory peppers. Best to make your own curry powder and leave out the peppers. Only black pepper is anti-inflammatory.

Back
Top Bottom