BBC Documentary on Psychopaths

The documentary has been posted on youtube:

Part 1:
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCCF43Z9u4&feature=player_embedded&list=PLF8792AC1F31B7E06#!

I'm watching it now.

I have watched this documentary, and after watching fishead and other good works one can say this is one is just plain disinformation. What was I expecting from BBC. :thdown:

The documentary starts with a few experiments that tells us what is moral behaviour. The first one is a simulation to see how people react in stressful conditions, and I failed to see its connection to psychopathy. Perhaps they just filled the time to avoid more important topics. Second experiment was interesting because it involved babies about 1-2 years old.

The setup is: Three stuffed animals perform a show in front of each kid. The one in the middle gives the ball to animal 1, and animal 1 gives it back. After that, it gives the ball to animal 2 and animal 2 doesn't give it back. Then the babies are to choose either one of these animals and %70 of them choose animal 1. I don't know how to interpret the data and researchers say %20 of the remaining %30 can be noise but for the rest of the group, researcher seem to think these babies are more identified with immoral action. Yet again, not a direct relation to psychopathy, and I am not exactly convinced on the interpretation of the researchers.

After that, another research show the importance of Oxytocin on bonding behaviour in team work. While watching all of this, I failed to see the connection between psychopathy and data presented. For a while, Robert Hare talked a little as well as some other scientists on psychopathy, but overall the documentary was about "psychopath the serial killer" rather than everyday psychopaths. The subjects and research was done on serial killers and only toward the end of the documentary Babiak and Hare talked about corporate psychopathy which lasted for 5 minutes as opposed to other unnecessary information along the way.

I am rather disappointed that the science behind this documentary is very bad. They associate psychopathy with MAO-A gene allele, which of course is suited if you only talk about serial killers, but we know that MAO-A gene is associated with reactive aggression which is a typical trait of failed psychopaths, not successful ones at the top.

One interesting piece was this neuroscientist Jim Fallon who was also discussed in the forum, but here is another link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125745788725531839.html

Basically the guy has all the brain activity and the genes to be qualified as a psychopath, but he is not a violent serial killer. I wonder what he is then. ;) According to his family, this is not a big shock, they knew that there is something wrong with him, and how he responds to this? He says something similar to: "I know that it is bad not to go a funeral and go to a party instead, but I don't care."

I usually can't understand things like editing, quality of videos or musics, but from the first scene, I get the impression that this documentary forces you to not like it. I hated the colors, images and music. I guess considering the disinfo they created, this is a good thing.

I agree with your take on it.

Biomiast said:
One interesting piece was this neuroscientist Jim Fallon who was also discussed in the forum, but here is another link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125745788725531839.html

Basically the guy has all the brain activity and the genes to be qualified as a psychopath, but he is not a violent serial killer. I wonder what he is then. ;) According to his family, this is not a big shock, they knew that there is something wrong with him, and how he responds to this? He says something similar to: "I know that it is bad not to go a funeral and go to a party instead, but I don't care."

They really stressed the idea that since he had never killed anyone, even though he had all the "psychopathic genes" that he hadn't done any harm - meanwhile his whole family says they're not surprised he has psychopath genes. I mean - honestly - it's ridiculous and they totally discount the damage 'successful psychopaths' do to those around them and to society - and that they're active in psychopathy research! All in all a load of disinformation.

Your post can be a review. Want to dress it up a little for SOTT?

Biomiast said:
Basically the guy has all the brain activity and the genes to be qualified as a psychopath, but he is not a violent serial killer. I wonder what he is then. ;)

Hi Biomiast,

True, it seems to me like the *good* psychopath (good because he has not killed, but he is no less of a psychopath) vision, is just more of the same of normalizing bad behavior in society (ponerazation); the whole issue about him being a psychopath was not taken seriously because at the end of the day psychopaths (killers or not) do a lot of harm to people but now it seems like if a killing is not involved, than the psychopath is to be glamorized. The documentary didn’t say a word about why/how a psychopath is a psychopath, and that some behaviors of psychopaths escalate into killings and others don't but either way, its harm and they inflict pain on others, either economically, socially, physically or whatever the via that they choose to.

I guess my point is that is not about *less painful* behaviors, or less *physically harmful* behaviors, but about behaviors that harm others and society and the documentary talks mostly, about killing as a sing of Psychopathy. Its like people who don’t kill are not bad enough, they are *normal psychopaths* and of course we know this is not true and this is where ponerazation comes in I guess, the standardization of bad behavior.

I agree this documentary is a load of hooey.

I thought the experiments involving moral instinct, engrained moral impulses, and oxytocin did fit with the documentary only because it was titled 'Are You Good or Evil' and so it was investigating both sides. However, there were a number of correlations that could have been made between the 'good vs. bad' experiments that weren't. As an example, the segment on oxytocin involved an experiment that tested a group of strangers blood levels after they had to engage together in a sports game. They found elevated levels of oxytocin afterwards, which went to show how that hormone facilitates group bonding and empathy. They then connected this to how the US marines need to work for a moral principal so they can kill people. That really is what they basically said. Talk about paramoralism! They could have connected this how normal individuals can mimic psychopathic behavior, but they didn't.

It was ridiculous to watch the repeated emphasis on the 'psychopathic killer' and then be introduced to Jimmy Fallon without discussion on the psychopath next door. Even more baffling was to see the next segment on the corporate psychopath. It was clearly implied that Fallon wasn't psychopath, and yet viewers are immediately (and briefly) pushed into the world of the board room psychopath...who ISN"T the violent serial killer psychopath. The information in that segment clearly didn't 'fit' with the agenda of the film makers. I wonder if Hare or Babiak insisted that the segment be included if they were going to appear.

I thought the experiments involving moral instinct, engrained moral impulses, and oxytocin did fit with the documentary only because it was titled 'Are You Good or Evil' and so it was investigating both sides. However, there were a number of correlations that could have been made between the 'good vs. bad' experiments that weren't.

Agreed. I watched it as if it should only be about psychopathy, but question on moral impulses was important to show both sides of the coin. And I agree with you on the

It was clearly implied that Fallon wasn't psychopath, and yet viewers are immediately (and briefly) pushed into the world of the board room psychopath...who ISN"T the violent serial killer psychopath. The information in that segment clearly didn't 'fit' with the agenda of the film makers. I wonder if Hare or Babiak insisted that the segment be included if they were going to appear.

I thought the same thing, that Hare and Babiak insisted on that segment. Yet, when you look at it, after all these talk on serial killers, that particular segment doesn't fit with the whole story of the documentary. It is as if somebody cut it from another documentary and pasted it into this one. Yet, from what I have read about youtube comments, most people received the idea that people at the top of the hierarchy are psychopaths quite well.

It looks like BBC has come up with another documentary called Psychopath, haven't watched the one discussed in this thread but this one seems like a pretty good overview of the problem and this is the first time that I encountered mainstream media mentioning successful psychopaths or as the say 'sub-criminal psychopaths' in corporate and political world.

All in all IMO worth watching and perhaps spreading on social media as a primer for those unfamiliar with the phenomenon.

https://youtu.be/J3ZihT9lVbA

Back
Top Bottom