Autism

Kaigen

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
:) Hello friends, I have a question about Autism.
My mother asked me to help my sister with her son who have Autism.
My sister don't know really what she have to do.
She did not vaccinate him ever and she have already another 5 kids.
She live on land in South Germany. What I asked here first was to stop
eating bread and milk, and she promised to introduce this idea to the family.
But is the gluten and casein free diet good for autism, or what can she do more,
without spending lot of money. Thank you for your answers in advance.

Diet is important in the treatment of autism, and a cornerstone is to exclude as much sugar as possible. It seems rational to minimize gluten as well because of the increased risk for autoimmune reactions associated with it. And the same argument goes for dairy products, but to a lesser degree, in my experience. You will probably get information on this from the doctors; diet is part of the treatment in Norway/UK/USA and is probably utilized elsewhere as well.

tonosama said:
My mother asked me to help my sister with her son who have Autism.
My sister don't know really what she have to do.
She did not vaccinate him ever and she have already another 5 kids.

Hi Tonosama,

Could you perhaps provide more general information on your nephew's health and diagnosis (how old he is, has he been seen by a physician and officially diagnosed, what are the main challenges for him, his mom and the whole family, etc)? Autism can present differently. While we are not in the position to give professional medical advice, knowing some specific would really help in coming up with appropriate general recommendations, comparing to other people's experiences etc. You might be more comfortable talking about this issue on one of the restricted boards, too.

:) Thank you for your answers, I already asked my sister and wait now for answer.
This is blog with hes foto.
_http://kleinerprinz-karina.blogspot.com/
Looks normal. As I remember I saw him 3,5 years ago and
he didn't say a word, but playing with plastic bags, putting them a part in such small
pieces, that my mother was always shocked. He was alone in the room and the whole
room was covered in small plastic pieces.

Hi tonosama,

This is purely anecdotal and FWIW, but hope it might help...

My niece is autistic too and she has improved on a gluten- and casein free diet. It was recommended to my sister by a kinesiologist who is trained in bioenergetics according to Dr. Klinghardt. She also recommended a heavy metal detox for her. My niece had been seen by doctors before that who didn't dare giving a definite diagnosis, but they ruled out any other cause for her symptoms, and didn't give any recommendations for treatment.

She still doesn't speak at the age of six, but has become a lot more outgoing and communicative in other ways. She now looks directly at people, hugs people and plays with other kids in kindergarten, which is something she didn't do before. Since she was very particular about food, it was difficult to change her diet, but once it had been done, the change was quite remarkable. Still working on a way to give her the medication for the heavy metal detox though, because she refuses to take that.

Maybe you'd also like to have a look at autism.com. There was an article there about the damage fluoride did to the condition of an autistic boy, so maybe that's worth looking into as well.

Wishing your sister and nephew all the best :flowers:

My wife used to be an ABA (Appplied Behaviour Analysis) therapist working specifically with Autistic kids. We have seen dramatic results, including our own son that was diagnosed at 2. He is 10 now and has been downgraded to mild Aspergers. Most people can't even tell.

The earlier you work with them, better chance you have to bring them out of their "shell".

Hithere said:
Diet is important in the treatment of autism, and a cornerstone is to exclude as much sugar as possible. It seems rational to minimize gluten as well because of the increased risk for autoimmune reactions associated with it. And the same argument goes for dairy products, but to a lesser degree, in my experience. You will probably get information on this from the doctors; diet is part of the treatment in Norway/UK/USA and is probably utilized elsewhere as well.

There's a very strong likelihood I have Asperger's Syndrome.
My diet contained sugar, dairy & gluten until a few months back. I cut out gluten last year & have been experimenting to see what my body can tolerate. I can't remember the last time I added sugar to my tea/food or drank milk but evidently sugar & dairy is added into packaged/processed foods widely so, without even adding extra sugar or milk, they was still being consumed.

Diet changes preceded the realisation that I might be autistic.
Presumably taking sugar/dairy out has made the most difference, it's hard to tell to what extent however.

SMM said:
Hithere said:

There's a very strong likelihood I have Asperger's Syndrome.
My diet contained sugar, dairy & gluten until a few months back. I cut out gluten last year & have been experimenting to see what my body can tolerate. I can't remember the last time I added sugar to my tea/food or drank milk but evidently sugar & dairy is added into packaged/processed foods widely so, without even adding extra sugar or milk, they was still being consumed.

Presumably taking sugar/dairy out has made the most difference, it's hard to tell to what extent however.

SMM you say that your diet contained the unholy trinity of sugar, dairy & gluten up until a few months ago, so how is your vigilance with the diet now? If you think you yourself might have such a disorder, i can only suggest to stick to the basics of the diet. Does that mean you are on paleo? I would proceed with a lot of caution when testing what i could tolerate. I write to you as someone who has a whole host of dietary issues stemming, from what i can gather genetic predispositions. I myself am approximately 10 months into paleo & am still tweaking things gently. It's said for instance that white potatoes aren't good yet i can tolerate them at low levels better than any "carby" foods. Sweet potatoes & yams are supposed to be okay soluble fibers & tubers (i'm going from memory of last year here, someone will correct me if i got that wrong) but they leave me a wreck for days.

That "unholy trinity" (you can say high carbs instead of sugar, but sugar is basically everywhere) especially the gluten & dairy needs to go as i'm sure you know. When i hear gluten, i think of aspartame & fluoride, i get scared of those things, they're in a dizzying array of things that we wouldn't expect. But hang in there, you have access to a wealth of info here (obviously) & very knowledgeable folks to help advise you. Since my relatives are "comfortable" with their mental illnesses i can only offer the little i know to anyone that wants to help themselves.
I'm assuming that like me, you're paying great attention to any mental health related info to help yourself whilst retaining it for others as well. A friend of mine since secondary school is married to a woman who has a long history of Huntingdon's & asked me for help but her (they have daughters too) family & my friend can't manage to change even after the info i've passed on. So i'm surrounded by people with mental/psychological dieatary issues (even at work) & this is an important thing for me regardless. So to you & any members that have these related issues my mind is with you, be strong. Oh yeah, supplements are a great source that they stuff carcinogenic, neurotoxic, cytoxic, immuno-suppressive junk into. Getting rid of them & getting clean sources is a challenge in itself.

SMM said:
I can't remember the last time I added sugar to my tea/food or drank milk but evidently sugar & dairy is added into packaged/processed foods widely so, without even adding extra sugar or milk, they was still being consumed.

I just want to point out that gluten/wheat is also in most prepackaged foods and does not have to be on the label. There are also things like MSG. If you are still eating prepackaged food, you are eating gluten, dairy and sugar, plus a whole lot more.

My daughter is Asperger's. We noticed oddities in behavior from shortly after birth, but didn't explore the idea of Asperger's until she was five. It should be noted that if you have a girl with Asperger's, you'll be unlikely to get a medical diagnosis of Asperger's, since 'the book' says only boys have Asperger's. As a result, our daughter was not eligible for the many educational programs afforded to an Asperger's diagnosis.

At 4 years old, we finally had allergy testing done, and she was allergic to most any food available. Expect to pay for that out of pocket. Insurance will generally not pay for it. For those of you that can't afford this test, the following will cover most of the allergens, (and solutions), that the test would tell you, so you can experiment with withdrawing these substances, and see what you get.

It turns out that Autism spectrum disorders are commonly paired with leaky gut syndrome. This allows large particles of food to enter the blood system, creating an immune reaction. The food allergies are the first place to start, and I can't stress enough that no other solution will deliver much result until food is first considered. As part of this also, there are emotional overloads, which anyone familiar with Autism knows as 'meltdowns'. These meltdowns can last 20 minutes to 3 hours, and any attempt at intervention seems to prolong it. Heavy duty impulsiveness and lack of empathy are also hallmarks. Getting overtired, or getting hungry, are also triggers.

In her case, her social/emotional age has trailed her physical age by about three years, and is pretty typical.

Things which were definite triggers were:
Chocolate: Induced psychosis. If she had ingested chocolate, we'd need to keep a physical hold on her, otherwise, she would suddenly dart away & start 'playing on the freeway'. There was no concept of danger, whatsoever. Upon seeing her first lake, (3 yrs old), she suddenly without warning charged directly into it as deep as she could get, then laid there face down, not moving, and making no attempt to breathe. In that instance she had a chocolate shake about an hour prior. It seemed to be an issue of 'Dutch cocoa' or 'processed with alkali'. Chocolate with 72% or higher cocoa content seemed to not create this problem, but that level of cocoa also went hand in hand with not having alkali content.

Red 40: Created out of control impulsiveness, and behavioral problems.

MSG: We never were real sure about this, though at times it was the only unknown quantity that could have been involved. Other times, known MSG carriers had no effect. It may be that higher concentrations of MSG are a trigger. Here in the US, MSG is hidden behind about 20 different names, and only rarely is it called MSG. Do your research on the names.

The allergy test didn't test any of the above, so it was only constant alertness that led us to these other allergens.

The main allergens with the highest allergic response were:

Grains, excluding rice and corn, and oats were much lower of an allergen.
All dairy.
Eggs.
Pineapple. (I've been told that an allergy to pineapple is also indicative of an allergy to latex.)

What could we even feed her? It was an awful position to be in.

We found egg-free bread with rice or corn as the grain, and though the corn was softer and more bread-like, we wouldn't use corn now.

We used rice milk, which also enabled rice and corn cereals, (without artificial colors). Soy milk did not provoke an allergic response, but we belatedly discovered that it mimics female hormones and discontinued use. She BTW had early onset of puberty at 9....

Corn and rice noodles would allow us to make casseroles and spaghetti, which would allow her a filling meal. The corn noodles fall apart readily if you overcook them, however.

Otherwise, we were doing contortions with meat and vegetables, since she didn't like either of them anymore than a typical child.

We also used DMG three times daily, which gave her a calmer and less impulsive demeanor, and a multi-vitamin without iron or copper, twice daily. Also, for a time we were giving her Evening Primrose capsules orally. I recall these being helpful, but can't recall why we stopped. It's recommended to do heavy metal detox using GLA, but we didn't, so I couldn't tell you if that helps.

Best books for guidance: Children With Starving Brains, (McCandless), and Parenting Your Asperger Child, (Sohn/Grayson).

We had warned the school with a complete list of allergens, and predictably, there was no way they could accomodate us, so we had to send lunches. Also, we had the school notify us as early as possible if there would be a party or treats being brought in. We kept cookies, and gluten free cupcakes & muffins in the freezer, so that when the school called we could have them there within minutes. The teachers were supplied with a stock of 'safe' candy, since that was a common reward in the classroom. The teachers had their own list of her allergens, and were to call us if she ingested chocolate or red 40, so we could bring her home. She was a danger to the other kids after having chocolate or red 40. We had to homeschool from mid-first grade until the last quarter of fifth grade, due to her behavioral problems, and hazing from other kids. Going back to public school *REALLY* demonstrated the incompetency of public schools. She's far, far ahead of her class, and now we're noticing a 'dumbing down' or regression of her skills.

In stable periods, we would try reintroduction of allergens, to see if they could be tolerated. (One at a time, for a week, or until symptoms showed up. Then waiting for another stable period to try something else.)

Eggs were the first to be permanently reintroduced, (at age 5), though they were our own; Store-bought eggs produced horrible reactions.

Grains were reintroduced, (at age 8).

Dairy, as white cheese, was reintroduced, (at age 7). That's when we discovered that annatto had a red 40 effect. (It's also in most ice cream.)

Milk was reintroduced, (at age 9). That's when we discovered vitamin A palmitate had a red 40 effect. (Whole 'Vitamin D' milk doesn't have it.) Ice cream was reintroduced about the same time, since we had found a brand without annatto. Milk is not a total success, as we believe it's the cause of light eczema on her arms and scalp.

Chocolate, of all sorts, was reintroduced, (at age 11), though overdoing it will still produce elevated behaviors, though not psychosis.

Red 40 was reintroduced, (also at age 11), though, again, overdoing it will produce elevated behaviors.

Note that the age is not an indicator of when a food may be reintroduced; It's the period of total abstinence that determines when something may be reintroduced, and it will vary with different kids. Some items may never be able to be reintroduced, though every successful reintroduction will make a big difference in meal, (and budget), planning.

Since age 5, she has been aware of foods to avoid, and remarkably, abided by that. If an adult tried to give her something that she couldn't have, she called them on it right away.

Now, at age 12 we have difficulty getting her to quit overdoing sugary garbage, and not reading labels on the 'in' candy, simply because of peer pressure as to what's 'cool'; That's certainly typical for her age, however. Meltdowns are fairly rare, though she tends to be loud and obtuse. She's immature for her age, but the age gap seems to be more about a year difference now, rather than three years. Being overly hungry or tired are still triggers, just as fully as ever.

As I said, she had 'differences' from birth. However, the MMR vaccine at age 3, (when she was still not talking), caused me to swear off vaccines permanently. Picture a wounded dog with it's tail between it's legs crawling off to lick it's wounds, and you have a picture of what it was like. It produced a withdrawal that I'm not sure has ever been totally overcome. I've always wondered since how much further ahead we would have been if she had never had that.

Speaking of talking, when she was four, and she was making barely intelligible 'Mom' & 'Dad' noises, we had our first complete sentence. It was in the middle of the Costco parking lot, on our way into the store. She yelled it out as clear as if she had been talking for years..... "Help, they're hurting me!" I was pretty sure that we'd be lynched before we made it into the store, but just lots of looks, and no rope being pulled out. We figured out later that she didn't like the lights & noise inside the store, and it probably was physically painful to her.

Hope this is helpful.

SMM said:
...There's a very strong likelihood I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Do you have overt "gut problems?" It is a common theme among many with autistic spectrum disorders (the specific symptoms vary), and a potential root cause for the other symptoms, although I don't recall that it has ever been part of the DSM diagnostic criteria.

I was diagnosed in college, back sometime around 1970 before "Asperger's" or "autistic spectrum disorder" existed as diagnostic categories, although the workup was the same. There was no known treatment at the time, but it did result in my psychologist and my parents meeting and talking (to gather information), which resulted in my father finally getting that there was actually something medically wrong, although not at all understood, and that I hadn't merely been trying to make his life more difficult. There was quite a bit of good that came out of that.

The gut problems were there from the beginning, but I didn't make the connection until about 12 years ago and even then I didn't know what to do. The two most useful interventions for me have been totally eliminating grains and supplementing with digestive enzymes & betaine HCL. Recently I have also been greatly restricting fiber, which may be helping.

The path has not been a straight one, and there is still much to do. Sometimes the recommendations given here in the forum have helped and sometimes not. I think that what is happening is that I am changing the makeup of my gut flora, and probably dealing with gut pathogens as well. Some time ago I discovered that I did better when I eliminated the FODMAP foods (search the forum or just Google if you are not familiar with this acronym). Now I do tolerate FODMAPs as long as I don't overdo them. Something changed; I don't know what.

Right now a couple of FODMAP veggies are pretty much the only veggies I eat, and I also include animal-source FODMAPs which are definitely not on the list of recommended foods here in the forum but that seem to help me. I just keep trying one thing after another as I learn more through a variety of blogs and podcasts, and sometimes just plain luck stumbling across things.

If you do have Asperger's or another autistic spectrum issue, it can be very stubborn. I don't know if anyone recovers to the point of complete remission. The best bet for that, apart from discovering that you don't actually have it, would be to detect it early and treat it with effective alternative treatments (which can vary with the individual). If you are going to deal with it then you need to be even more stubborn about not giving up, and flexible about what to do. Stubbornness come easily for Aspies, but flexibility does not.

Megan said:
SMM said:
...There's a very strong likelihood I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Do you have overt "gut problems?" It is a common theme among many with autistic spectrum disorders (the specific symptoms vary), and a potential root cause for the other symptoms, although I don't recall that it has ever been part of the DSM diagnostic criteria.

I was diagnosed in college, back sometime around 1970 before "Asperger's" or "autistic spectrum disorder" existed as diagnostic categories, although the workup was the same. There was no known treatment at the time, but it did result in my psychologist and my parents meeting and talking (to gather information), which resulted in my father finally getting that there was actually something medically wrong, although not at all understood, and that I hadn't merely been trying to make his life more difficult. There was quite a bit of good that came out of that.

The gut problems were there from the beginning, but I didn't make the connection until about 12 years ago and even then I didn't know what to do. The two most useful interventions for me have been totally eliminating grains and supplementing with digestive enzymes & betaine HCL. Recently I have also been greatly restricting fiber, which may be helping.

The path has not been a straight one, and there is still much to do. Sometimes the recommendations given here in the forum have helped and sometimes not. I think that what is happening is that I am changing the makeup of my gut flora, and probably dealing with gut pathogens as well. Some time ago I discovered that I did better when I eliminated the FODMAP foods (search the forum or just Google if you are not familiar with this acronym). Now I do tolerate FODMAPs as long as I don't overdo them. Something changed; I don't know what.

Right now a couple of FODMAP veggies are pretty much the only veggies I eat, and I also include animal-source FODMAPs which are definitely not on the list of recommended foods here in the forum but that seem to help me. I just keep trying one thing after another as I learn more through a variety of blogs and podcasts, and sometimes just plain luck stumbling across things.

If you do have Asperger's or another autistic spectrum issue, it can be very stubborn. I don't know if anyone recovers to the point of complete remission. The best bet for that, apart from discovering that you don't actually have it, would be to detect it early and treat it with effective alternative treatments (which can vary with the individual). If you are going to deal with it then you need to be even more stubborn about not giving up, and flexible about what to do. Stubbornness come easily for Aspies, but flexibility does not.

That last paragraph about stubbornness & flexibility - an apt depiction. Rigidity & routines, in thoughts & probably actions. They never seem to get completely erased either - just patched up or a new one pokes it's head out.

Booked a referral/assessment appointment with doctor scheduled for October 3rd.
Longstanding gut/digestive problems are something I've contended with. I was still consuming grains via rice, probably gluten also through that medium, until a few months back.

My diet now is mainly animal fats/meats from butcher [as much as permissible] & bone broth using pressure or slow cooker. When the blender decides to work, I like to blend the bones. It's actually the most comfortable diet I've had to date, for a long time at least.

I supplement with digestive enzymes, which contain Betaine HCl, & ox bile presently.

Thank you Megan for your post. FODMAPs ring a bell - I don't take any xylitol although there might sorbitol in the toothpaste I currently use. I'm looking through the amount I'd like to read or things I'd like to delve into [this being one], & then the schoolwork stuff... well you can imagine what I'm trying to convey.
I watched a video about autism & diet a while back - I can't remember where I stumbled upon it, will have to keep an eye out for it - which was interesting. I had no hunch that I might be on the spectrum myself though, it's surprising how much makes sense with all things considered.

Certain things have triggered tears over the past week, found myself sporadically weeping or on the verge of a few times. In short it's 'explained' a lot - nothing set in stone.

This piece may offer some more insight into ASDs. It focuses on a specific type of neuron & its activities within the amygdala of those with the disorder.

_http://cedars-sinai.edu/About-Us/News/News-Releases-2013/Neurons-in-Brains-Face-Recognition-Center-Respond-Differently-in-Patients-With-Autism.aspx

Neuroscientists and Neurosurgeons Collaborate to Determine Why Patients Suffering From Autism Focus More on the Mouth and Less on the Eyes to Collect and Process Information
Los Angeles - Nov. 20, 2013 - In what are believed to be the first studies of their kind, Cedars-Sinai researchers recording the real-time firing of individual nerve cells in the brain found that a specific type of neuron in a structure called the amygdala performed differently in people who suffer from autism spectrum disorder than in those who do not.

Autism spectrum disorder and autism are general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development that affect social interactions, communication skills and behaviors.

"Many studies have found that people who have autism fail to focus on the eye region of others to gather social cues and process information about emotions," said Ueli Rutishauser, PhD, assistant professor of neurosurgery and director of Human Neurophysiology Research at Cedars-Sinai, and first author of an article in the Nov. 20 issue of the journal Neuron. "The amygdala – which is critical for face recognition and processing of emotions – is thought to be one of the principal areas where dysfunction occurs, but this is the first time single neurons in the structure have been recorded and analyzed in patients with autism."

Researchers in Cedars-Sinai's Department of Neurosurgery and Department of Neurology, with colleagues from the California Institute of Technology and Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, "listened in" and recorded the firing activity of individual nerve cells in the amygdalae of two patients with a high-functioning form of autism as they viewed pictures of entire faces or parts of faces on a screen. Each face expressed an emotion – fear or happiness – and the patients were asked to look at the pictures to decide which emotion was expressed.

The research team then compared recordings from neurons in the patients with autism to recordings from neurons in patients who did not have autism, which led to the discovery that a specific type of neuron performed atypically in those with autism.

Different neurons respond to different aspects of a task. In the amygdala, which is known to be important for emotional memory, certain neurons fire when a person looks at a whole face; another population responds when viewing parts of faces or certain facial features such as an eye or mouth. In the two patients with autism, "whole-face" neurons responded appropriately, but the "face-part" neurons were much more active when the patients were shown the mouth region compared to when they were shown the eyes.

"A subpopulation of neurons in these patients with autism spectrum disorder showed abnormal sensitivity to the mouth region. The amygdala neurons appeared normal from an electrical point of view, and the whole- face-sensitive neurons responded normally. Thus, the subset of face-part-sensitive neurons was specifically abnormal in autism," Rutishauser said.

The article's senior author, Ralph Adolphs, PhD, Bren Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience at Caltech, said the study presents new insights into mechanisms underlying the symptoms of autism and opens the door for further studies.

"Are there genetic mutations that lead to changes in this one population of neurons? Do the cell abnormalities originate in the amygdala or are they the result of processing abnormalities elsewhere in the brain? There are many questions yet to be answered, but this study points us in a specific direction that we believe will help understand autism," he said.

Observing the activity of single neurons in the human brain is very challenging and only rarely done, but it is the only way to explore what is happening in the brain at the very instant a person thinks. A collaboration of neuroscientists and neurosurgeons allows these rare opportunities to be used to advance knowledge of how the brain works. Similar nerve cell studies have been done in animals, but they are imperfect representatives of human thought and behavior, and without direct human feedback, neuroscientists have had to make assumptions when interpreting animal responses. Progress in finding answers for autism has been limited because no animal model exists for the highly complex human disorder.

The autism study was made possible by patients being treated for epilepsy who underwent surgery to have depth electrodes implanted in their brains to monitor seizure-related electrical activity. Two of the patients also suffered from a high-functioning form of autism spectrum disorder.

"The amygdala is a routine target for depth electrodes to localize epileptic seizures. This provides a unique opportunity to record activity from the amygdala, a brain structure that is important for the processing of emotions and suspected to be abnormal in autism. However, until our recent discovery, it was unknown whether the human amygdala contained face-sensitive neurons," said Adam Mamelak, MD, professor of neurosurgery and director of Functional Neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai.

In an intracranial electroencephalogram (EEG) study, each time a targeted neuron is active it fires an "action potential" – a chemical and electrical change that can be recorded for later analysis. Like never before, the researchers can witness in human subjects and in real time single cells in the brain reacting when a subject mentally processes a visual image

Rutishauser, Adolphs and their colleagues published several recent articles on face recognition that led up to this research on autism. In one, they recorded the activity of single neurons as patients' brains processed cues from facial expressions. In another, they reported that when memory-related neurons fire in a coordinated way with certain brain waves the resulting image recognition and memories are stronger than if this synchronization does not occur.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but neurofeedback comes to mind after reading that. Perhaps the active training form of neurofeedback (subjects rewarded for audio-visual stimulation from certain brain activities ) would work with regards to the mirror neuron system. Normally the circuit comes online when we watch others which enables us to relate to other people (these can be measured within milliseconds), yet a remaining issue is that of "implicit theory of mind." (unconsciously keeping tabs on others’ mental states)

There's also an association of less mirror neuronal activity with greater social impairments, that said, earlier studies have suggested that the mirror neuron system works normally in those with ASDs a so I guess more in-depth studies (as always) need to be taken.

More on the growing ways scientists are trying to treat autism. Just don't mention paleo or keto diets.

_http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131212100047.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fmind_brain%2Fautism+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Mind+%26+Brain+News+--+Autism%29

Worms and Hot Baths: Novel Approaches to Treating Autism

Dec. 12, 2013 — A new study shows that two unusual treatment approaches may have beneficial effects on the symptoms of autism in children and adults with the disorder. Using a hot bath to raise body temperature and thereby mimic the effects of infection, or using worm eggs to stimulate the production of immunoregulatory factors in the gut to diminish inflammatory signals, both attenuated symptoms of autism. These findings support the idea that disruption of systems in the body that control inflammation may contribute to the disorder. The study was presented at the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meeting.

Approximately 1 in 88 children are afflicted with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). A prevailing hypothesis of ASD is that a hyperactive immune system, resulting in elevated levels of inflammation, may contribute to the disorder. Consistent with this possibility, it is known that approximately one third of those with ASD show a clinical improvement in symptoms in response to a fever.

In a new study led by Eric Hollander MD, a professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, the effects of two novel treatment approaches that modify aspects of inflammation were tested on ASD symptoms.
First, as fever may trigger the release of protective anti-inflammatory signals in the body, the effects of raising body temperature to mimic fever on ASD symptoms were assessed. It was found that children with ASD and a history of positive behavioral response to fever had improved social behaviors when bathed each day in a hot tub at 102oF compared with water at 98 oF.
Second, using a more unusual approach, adults with ASD were treated for 12 weeks with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), which are the eggs of the worm helminth trichura (whip worm). This worm is safe in humans as it does not multiply in the host, is not transmittable by contact, and is cleared spontaneously. However, the worms can inhibit immune-mediated responses and diminish inflammation.

The subjects for this study were 10 high functioning ASD patients who were able to give informed consent and who had a history of allergies or a family history of immune-inflammatory illness. Patients were treated for 12 weeks with the worm eggs (2500 eggs every two weeks) but were also subjected to a 12 week placebo phase in a randomized order. It was found that adults with ASD had improvement in repetitive and ritualistic behaviors in response to treatment with the worm eggs.

This is not the first time that worm eggs have been used successfully to treat diseases, particularly immune-related diseases, in humans such as Crohn's Disease. As noted by Dr. Hollander, "TSO has been shown to improve various immune inflammatory illness by shifting the ratio of T regulator/T helper cells and their respective cytokines.."

The findings support the idea that inflammation may contribute to the symptoms of autism, at least in some individuals, and highlight novel treatment approaches. However, as noted by Dr. Hollander, the small sample size and unusual treatment approach means that caution should be exercised when interpreting the studies:

"Future studies in autism spectrum disorders are needed to replicate and expand these findings, and to study younger subjects with more severe irritability."
Nevertheless, the findings raise the intriguing possibility that approaches designed to module immune responses in ASD patients may be future treatment approaches for the disorder

One of the diet based aproaches we have tried in the past for my autistic son was nutrigenomic protocols. These protocols are based on ''nutrigenomics testing'' to find out the SNP's (Single Nucleotid Polymorphisms). A gluten-free , kasein-free , excitotoxin-free base diet is supported with a custom designed supplement program according to the nutrigenomics findings (individuel SNP's). Application of this kind of protocol is not easy but there are a set of success stories. An example for this kind of protocol is yasco protocol:

_http://www.holisticheal.com/media/downloads/autism-pathways/discovering-pathways-sample.pdf

Back
Top Bottom