Attack of the Bots - The New Internet Mafia, Latest Threat to the 'Net

PopHistorian

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Pretty shady, scary stuff going on in cyberspace.

(http:/)/www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/botnet.html

"The latest threat to the Net: autonomous software programs that combine forces to perpetrate mayhem, fraud, and espionage on a global scale. How one company fought the new Internet mafia – and lost."

Here's just a tiny bit:
The Six Apart team sealed off nearly all access to its network. The sites came back online. Ten minutes later, they crashed again. The attacker had found an unprotected entry point and aimed a volley squarely at it.

With the data fusillade focused on a single port, the engineers could study it, even if they couldn't stop it. Soon they noticed that the malicious traffic pouring into Six Apart's network was directed to a single destination: a TypePad blog owned by a customer called Blue Security, based in Herzliya, Israel. Six Apart techs tried to reach someone there, but it was the dead of night in the Middle East. For reasons the engineers didn't yet understand, Blue Security's domain name service, or DNS – the service that translated its URL into a numerical IP address – was rerouting traffic addressed to www(dot)bluesecurity.com straight to the TypePad blog. That is, the attacker was targeting Blue Security, but Six Apart was taking the bullet. This was good news. It meant Six Apart could quarantine Blue Security's blog until the attack ended.

But the dodge didn't help. Within minutes, the attacker turned his attention to Six Apart itself. The company's servers were slammed by a reflective DDoS attack, a technique that boosts the volume of malicious traffic by running it through a sort of Internet echo chamber. At 8 pm, the sites suddenly went dark again, almost as if someone had flipped a switch. Six Apart was dead. The bots had won.

Looked up some terms to make sense of what they were doing...

Reflective DDoS attack:

From http(colon slash slash)www(dot)networkworld(dot)com/details/675.html?def
A twist on type of distributed denial of service attacks in which a SYN flood is sent to a large Web site, but the packets have a spoofed source IP of the real attack target. The Web site replies to this large number of SYN requests by sending its responses to the spoofed target IP address. To the target, it looks like the large Web site is launching a DDoS attack against it.
Syn Flood:

A type of denial of service attack in which a large number of TCP SYN packets (the first packet in a TCP/IP connection), usually with spoofed source IP addresses, are sent to a target. The target system replies with the corresponding ACK packets and waits for the final packet of the TCP/IP three-way handshake. Because the source IP address of the initial packet was spoofed, the target never will receive the final packet, leaving it to hold TCP/IP sessions open until they time out. A SYN flood causes so many TCP/IP open sessions that the system becomes overwhelmed and cannot handle any more network traffic.
Ok so we have the traditional syn flood, but what they did was syn flood with a "twist". The website replied to all those packets that were sent to it which pretended to wanna establish a tcp-ip connection, but the IP from which the packets were sent was the IP of the real target, and so when that website replied to all those packets, it was actually "flooding" the real target with its replies, and killing it in the process. That's a pretty sneaky attack which seems like it could potentially kill both websites (one of them being killed by the other) - the website to which you're sending all those packets in the first place could die because it experiences a traditional "syn flood", and then your real target dies too because the replies to all the packets are sent straight to its doorstep.

Distributed Denial of Service is probably the easiest and deadliest form of internet "warfare". It doesn't require hacking knowledge, any "script kiddie" can do it given the right tools - and that's scary in and of itself. The internet, as any system, has rules - but those rules can be exploited to work against the system itself, like in the case of this article. I find it interesting how "hackers" basically do something, well within the bounds of the rules, but something that was never "intended" by the rules - sort of an oversight on the part of the designers - sometimes not even an oversight but a necessary "hole" in order to allow for something to function as designed in the first place, and hoping that someone doesn't discover and exploit the hole. Most people don't, and all malicious intentions aside - how does one go about discovering such holes and exploits in a system? I mean, what sort of mentality and thinking is required to become a "hacker" so to speak - and not just of the internet, but any system, whether it be man-made or natural. I guess the first step is the elimination of assumptions - the common assumptions that "This is how it works" and "this is what it does" have to be the first to go.

I guess one of the best defenses of any such system is the assumption on behalf of the users in terms of how the system CAN be used, what it can and cannot do. Take any system like the economy, a computer, a bank, a videogame, a network, a climate, etc. Now of course most man-made systems it is illegal to "exploit" and so I'm not saying anyone should break any laws, I simply find it fascinating in and of itself the concept of exploitation of a system and using it "not as intended" simply because you CAN (as in, such capability exists but is not "obvious" due to blinding assumptions). In other words, use the very same set of tools to do something totally different, something that is not how they are "supposed to be used". We don't see what IS possible, we see what we assume is possible based on our assumptions of how to use something, how to handle it, what to do with it, how to perceive it which defines what "it" is for US. We're amazed when someone does something that WE can't do, simply because they are not limited by the same set of assumptions, or are simply using our own assumptions against us.

I have a certain respect for people like "hackers". The respect is not for the illegality or morality (or lack thereof) of their actions, but for their thinking process which allows them to escape common assumptions and use a system fundamentally differently than the "rules" say you should. In a sense they are engineers - they take available materials and do something that others often think is impossible or never even conceive of. And yet, it is all perfectly possible and very much logical. So if it is so logical, and sometimes so arrogantly simple, how can billions of people "miss it" before some hacker or engineer does it? I guess this is where our mass hypnosis comes in, our inability to think logically and critically about our predicament, our world, ourselves, our tools. We're bound by a conditioned set of assumptions and limitations, most of which could probably be completely non-existent. Reminds me of a C's session:

Q: (AJ) I am reading one of the books by the Polish engineer Pajak, written in 1990, where he describes a
UFO propulsion system. He claims that he has discovered a "periodic principle" where inventions come like
the periodic table, and he says it is now time to discover this UFO propulsion system. So much that he says
seems to "fit." He gives many good ideas, but generally for the wrong reasons. Are his main ideas sound? Is
it true that UFOs are using the machinery that he describes?
A: His primary block is his lack of knowledge of hyperdimensional physics.
Q: (AJ) That is true. But to build such a thing, we need to use 3D technology because that is what we
have. We cannot use 4D technology because we don't have access to 4D tools, so what can we do?
A: You will.
Q: (AJ) Question is whether Pajak's 3D technology that he describes corresponds to what it really is?
A: Generally speaking, more or less. But so much is lacking that, as designed, the prototypes will do nothing.
Q: (AJ) Has his idea been taken from him and successfully implemented by others - say, military?
A: No need. Only objective there is to prevent his further discoveries.
Q: (AJ) His ideas are quite original, so I wonder where he is getting them?
A: Not so original, just logical. Only reason others don't "get" such ideas is because they cannot think
logically due to hypnosis.
Q: (AJ) Well, I also have problems with logical thinking due to hypnosis!
A: Less than before.
Q: (AJ) Well, that means that I am still under hypnosis and clearly I am under more hypnosis than this Mr.
Pajak is because I have not been able to get as far as he has...
A: You aren't an engineer.
Q: (L) That reminds me! I wonder why it is we have such a preponderance of engineer types and computer
types in the School? (AJ) Computer types, it's clear: they are the only guys who have the time! [Laughter]
(L) I think that the C's really appeal to engineering types for some reason.
Maybe one possible reason for this appeal is the way an engineer's mind works - a tendency to escape common assumptions and question reality itself at its very core - at least certain aspects of reality, and the C's present the same approach and propose we do it for ALL aspects, philosophical and physical and mysterious alike. "Hackers" do the same thing on the software level - they are usually very creative and "original" programmers - they must learn to think without limitations, very openly and question all assumptions about computers and software and networks - and in the process of this questioning, they suddenly realize how many ways there are to "use" such networks that are not even fathomed by others who "play by the rules". Unfortunately, many of them go the "illegal" way and start utilizing their thinking and the resulting knowledge about the system poorly - do all the right things for all the wrong reasons. There is nothing wrong with hacking your own computer, hacking your own network, and basically "hacking" the very construct, the very bits and bites that your computer is made of, and seeing what you can do with them as building blocks, even within the framework of the very rules established by our currently existing environments (our networks, operating systems, software, etc). Physicists and scientists do the same thing with reality itself - many simply get stuck due to assumptions, no thanks to dogmatic education and this "hypnosis" the C's speak of.

What we need is great hackers teaching other hackers. In other words, going through school and getting a PhD doesn't make you a great hacker/physicist/engineer/programmer, and shouldn't give you the right to just teach your own class because it's your approach, your mental predisposition to reality itself that makes the difference, osit. The class just fills you up with physics data, established knowledge, etc. The brilliance of a true "hacker" (and I"m just referring to all engineers, of the hardware/software world, and of our reality itself as hackers right now) is his approach, his ability to go beyond common assumptions and do what nobody else can because their assumptions won't allow them to. But this is an APPROACH - a predisposition to reality, not a set of rules/data. The C's constantly reiterate this open approach, the lack of assumptions, the critical thinking, the development of awareness through removal of all assumptions. And I think this is the appeal - the limitless possibilities of such a mentality, like the one great hackers have, when applied to all other aspects of their lives - but without the inclination to abuse it for selfish and illegal purposes and frankly "waste" this great potential. The C's provide a direction of this potential - a reason to exploit systems that has nothing to do with breaking laws or stealing money, but simply "knowledge protects" - as a way out of this reality, a way to a better existence.

K I'll stop ranting now lol, the article just sparked a chain of thoughts.

I was wondering if they ever discovered the source of the attack and what was it about "Blue Security, based in Herzliya, Israel" 'provoked' the attack? It is not inconceivable that whoever was responsible for the attack wanted to take that (particular) site down. And when they didn't succeed, turned on the people who were trying to stop them (Six Apart networks people)?

Yes, it does provoke questions about 'why'. What were those people up to?

Scio said:
I have a certain respect for people like "hackers". The respect is not for the illegality or morality (or lack thereof) of their actions, but for their thinking process which allows them to escape common assumptions and use a system fundamentally differently than the "rules" say you should.
Wasn't Neo (Matrix) a hacker or programmer of some sort? Scio, if you have any inherent techo 'nerdish' qualities, you ought to establish a 'club' in order to look into, research and maybe run 'simulations' on stuff like this. What do you think? Naturally, the 'focus' ought to be STO and not .... the other....

Afterall, this is a time for 'networking', so what is your 'network' capable of?

ps. this is something we should all be asking ourselves, in all its various capacities.

You have to separate white hats from black hats. This attack is a fun one, as it's based on "Watch the fires burn across the river." I would also like to point out that they are mixing up ideas by referring to this as botting. A reflective DDOS is like hitting a bullseye off a ricochet, the person who thought of this is a diabolical genius, Robocop style.

It all sounds a bit pointless though, like it's only purpose was for a story, I also liked the point that it was targeted at an Israeli Security company...Cyber mafia, Cyber terrorists, anyone see a pattern? All it needs now is to be linked to a palestinian, then osama, then hussein, oh wait we offed him, well there is always them crazy Iranians, it's too convenient. Does anyone else feel like they are being lead to conclusions by this?

I would also like to point out that bringing a site down via DDOS is not a hacker technique, hackers want to know, explore and control. Any programmer can attest to the desire to explore a system, find the holes, plug them, exploit them etc. A person who has the skills and knowledge to actually hack would consider it beneath him to do something as clumsy as a DOS attack, this would be the equivalent of an Honor Roll High School student throwing faeces at 1st graders. Also, there is nothing to gain from DOSing a site, and hackers rarely do things that don't forward a goal of increased knowledge, increased control. The image of hackers has fallen along way in the public eye, from LOD to groups of slobbering pre pube script kiddies, I can't help but see the cult pattern all over again, I can't wait for the Hacker version of waco where the FBI storms some college computer hall and kills 20-30 engineering students for running their own darknet. It's all so contrived.

atreides said:
I can't help but see the cult pattern all over again, I can't wait for the Hacker version of waco where the FBI storms some college computer hall and kills 20-30 engineering students for running their own darknet. It's all so contrived.
So... warn them?

You can do that, it they listen to you.

A bit like a like a network?

I would just point out that WIRED might not be the most reliable source of info around.
They had, a few months back, to issue a disclaimer because one of their journalist was making up stories.

Wired is now under the Conde Nast Publications (hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condé_Nast_Publications) specialized in Lifestyle magazines.

Some articles may be still faked or with mixed truth to divert or encourage certain opinions imho.

Hmm - how about the fact that Blue Security knowingly redirected a DDOS attack against them to a third-party blog provider who had nothing to do with this situation?

http://q.queso.com/archives/001917

I wonder if this whole Blue Security service (which is/was an Israeli company, let's not forget) was set up specifically so "somebody" could test out a large-scale bot network in order to determine its effectiveness? And when they were successful against a generic blog host like SixApart, they then sought out hardened defences like Prolexic in order to test the bot network against them?

If this was the case, perhaps "somebody" is readying such bot networks for when they might be useful to certain psychological deviants in power.... to convince the masses that a "secure Internet" is what is needed?

you mean, a false flag operation to create a false threat, in order to respond with human-right-violating 'security measures'?

well it's a tried and tested pattern that is horribly familiar..

I wonder if the recent relentless email-spam floods are also to do with this?

Yeah, and if you monitor those spams you will see they are meaningless as selling tools, they almost look like coded messages. Or so we might be led to believe.

The whole thing wreaks of the same thing that has happened to cults, hackers went from being cool to being greasy haired russian mafiosos, does anyone else see a seriously manipulated stereotype emerging?

You'll notice also that the Bluey guys were running a botnet as well. This one wreaks of false flagginess.

atreides said:
hackers went from being cool to being...
heheheh -- your geekiness is showing, honey. Hackers were cool? I must have gone to the lobby for popcorn during that part of the show...

~prepares to be hit with hundreds of spitballs from the geeky masses~

;)

~ahem~ but seriously - yes - the false flagginess is very apparent in this one...looks like a set up all the way around.

anart said:
~prepares to be hit with hundreds of spitballs from the geeky masses~.
Incoming! ;)

Seriously, hackers were super cool once, remember the movie? (Angelina Jolie as "Acid Burn" anyone?)
This movie prompted me to try SoftICE while glowing from excitement :D

http(colon slash slash)anml(dot)iu(dot)edu/ddos/types.html

The above offers nice short descriptions of the most popular "DoS" floods that are utilized by amateur script kiddies and hackers alike. I agree with Atreides that DOS attacks are generally "below" a real hacker as a showcase of his capability, but in terms of getting someone or something offline, it does the job quickly and easily, requiring practically no knowledge of hacking or networking - just the right tools certain elementary understandings. Very often DoS attacks are used in conjunction with other purposes, like if you require someone or something to be disconnected to accomplish a greater goal. Sometimes DoS floods are also simply a distraction. A hacker would launch a dos flood while doing something else, and as the security team is focused on trying to deal with the flood, they don't realise that the real attack is being done via other means.

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
A hacker would launch a dos flood while doing something else, and as the security team is focused on trying to deal with the flood, they don't realise that the real attack is being done via other means.
Hmmmm.... Sounds like you've done this before ;)

beau said:
ScioAgapeOmnis said:
A hacker would launch a dos flood while doing something else, and as the security team is focused on trying to deal with the flood, they don't realise that the real attack is being done via other means.
Hmmmm.... Sounds like you've done this before ;)
Nah, I've "dabbled" in the past and simply was exposed to this stuff due to the crowd I hung out with in my early teens. I've known my share of hackers (serious and amateur), some of whom are now serving jail sentences. But the older the group got, the more serious they became, and it was becoming a little too serious for me. It was no longer script kiddies packeting each other for fun, and writing IRC scripts and taking over IRC channels and just hanging out and doing "kid hacker" stuff which was mostly innocent and in good fun. Some of them were beginning to seriously get into it and start going into bigger and bigger networks, companies, websites, etc and I really didn't want anything to do with that. It just wasn't worth the risk for me, became too serious for my tastes. I wasn't gonna spend years in jail for breaking into some computer system - it just not worth it. I'm all for hacking and cracking stuff, but just to see that it can be done - not to actually do serious damage to someone's system or computer or network, it was enough knowing that I could and experimenting locally and with friends, I wasn't interested in actually doing the damage to someone. I guess it's like if you're taking martial arts, it doesn't mean you have to start walking around killing people just because you know the moves. So it was time for me to leave, say goodbye to the innocent days which were all gone by that time, and good riddance.

Back
Top Bottom