Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

Ascorbic acid is better on long-term gut health because you need stomach acid to digest food and absorb nutrients. This is one of the reasons why ascorbic acid is recommended over alkaline versions. It is the same concept as to why you take betaine HCl or apple cider vinegar when there is stomach reflux and digestive problems.

Too much ascorbic acid can irritate the stomach. It also depends on individual tolerance. Some may take up to 40 grams without problems. Others who desperately need vitamin C might have irritation with a relatively low dose. In that case it might be worth experimenting with sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid mixed with a little bit of sodium bicarbonate.

I would save the sodium ascorbate for making liposomal vitamin C on emergencies. For regular maintenance, I would use ascorbic acid.

My 2 cents!

Gaby said:
Ascorbic acid is better on long-term gut health because you need stomach acid to digest food and absorb nutrients. This is one of the reasons why ascorbic acid is recommended over alkaline versions. It is the same concept as to why you take betaine HCl or apple cider vinegar when there is stomach reflux and digestive problems.

Too much ascorbic acid can irritate the stomach. It also depends on individual tolerance. Some may take up to 40 grams without problems. Others who desperately need vitamin C might have irritation with a relatively low dose. In that case it might be worth experimenting with sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid mixed with a little bit of sodium bicarbonate.

I would save the sodium ascorbate for making liposomal vitamin C on emergencies. For regular maintenance, I would use ascorbic acid.

My 2 cents!

Thanks Gaby, as always your advice is most appreciated!

I will switch back to the pure ascorbic acid and see what happens. Although I am am still a little confused as to why the sodium ascorbate, which is supposed to be gentler on the stomach, has, in my case at least, had the opposite affect.

In any case I will have to learn how to make the liposomal vitamin C from sodium ascorbate as I bought it in bulk and don't want to waste it, so again thanks for the suggestion :cool2:

987baz said:
Although I am am still a little confused as to why the sodium ascorbate, which is supposed to be gentler on the stomach, has, in my case at least, had the opposite affect.

I'm speculating here, but perhaps the alkalinity impaired your digestive system. If you wash away or neutralize much needed stomach juices for digestion, you have bad digestion and discomfort. In general, this is one of the reasons as to why any supplement with alkaline properties such as magnesium, sodium bicarbonate and sodium ascorbate should be taken away from meals on an empty stomach. Stomach acid is good!

Plain old ascorbic acid does just fine, specially if tolerated. :)

NutriBiotic Sodium Ascorbate claims pH 7.1 so I wouldn't expect it to neutralize stomach acid.
_http://www.nutribiotic.com/sodium-ascorbate-8oz.html

Gaby said:
987baz said:
Although I am am still a little confused as to why the sodium ascorbate, which is supposed to be gentler on the stomach, has, in my case at least, had the opposite affect.

I'm speculating here, but perhaps the alkalinity impaired your digestive system. If you wash away or neutralize much needed stomach juices for digestion, you have bad digestion and discomfort. In general, this is one of the reasons as to why any supplement with alkaline properties such as magnesium, sodium bicarbonate and sodium ascorbate should be taken away from meals on an empty stomach. Stomach acid is good!

Plain old ascorbic acid does just fine, specially if tolerated. :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Gaby, that makes sense :)

hlat said:
NutriBiotic Sodium Ascorbate claims pH 7.1 so I wouldn't expect it to neutralize stomach acid.

thanks hlat, interesting link :)

hlat said:

Keep in mind that the stomach's acid pH is 1.5 to 3.5.

so that would mean that the ph of the sodium ascorbate (7.1), being much higher would increase the ph of the gut, thus contributing to bowl tolerance load?

It's interesting that you mentioned magnesium as I was taking my nightly magnesium (citrate) with vit C occasionally, so I might take them separately from now on to see what happens.

another thought I had was that recently, I had a colon cleans (natural herbal tonic) which seems to have reset my stomach, as the sensitivity began shortly after this process, along with the change from pure ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate. Maybe there's a link there too.

This is the one I have _http://www.daintreequalityherbs.com.au/vitamin-c-100-pure-sodium-ascorbate-sodium-l-ascorbic-acid/

Gaby said:
hlat said:

With water around pH 7, it seems like it would have a similar impact as water.

hlat said:
With water around pH 7, it seems like it would have a similar impact as water.

People with digestive problems also benefit from drinking water in between meals, or at least it is suggested not to drink too much when you eat.

987baz said:
so that would mean that the ph of the sodium ascorbate (7.1), being much higher would increase the ph of the gut, thus contributing to bowl tolerance load?

It's interesting that you mentioned magnesium as I was taking my nightly magnesium (citrate) with vit C occasionally, so I might take them separately from now on to see what happens.

I don't know. What I do noticed is that plain old ascorbic acid works better for people, if tolerated. I also feel a better effect with ascorbic acid. Then this article which mentions ascorbic acid vs sodium ascorbate appeared which made a lot of sense:

http://www.sott.net/article/284126-Vitamin-C-A-cure-for-Ebola

It is not that you can't take magnesium with vitamin C, but that stomach acid is really important for digestion. So any supplements with alkaline properties are best taken away from meals. Specially if your digestive tract has taken a hit from too many carbs over the years... People usually have low stomach acidity as they age, then they have all kinds of problems derived from not absorbing nutrients (i.e. hair loss, macular degeneration, pneumonias, osteoporosis, etc!). I'm sure anti-nutrients and carbs are big factors in here though.

another thought I had was that recently, I had a colon cleans (natural herbal tonic) which seems to have reset my stomach, as the sensitivity began shortly after this process, along with the change from pure ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate. Maybe there's a link there too.

Well, herbal colonics can be very irritating to the gut, specially if it is one of those who have a lot of fiber. I remember having colitis for over a month after I did one of those colonics. Perhaps some probiotic will help. Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg is known to decrease sensitivities to food, it also promotes a better bowel movement.

My 2 cents!

People with digestive problems also benefit from drinking water in between meals, or at least it is suggested not to drink too much when you eat.

I have forced myself to drink more water as I know I don't drink enough, well, I had't been, I have upped how much I drink over the last 6 months or so and have indeed stopped drinking any fluids with food :)

I don't know. What I do noticed is that plain old ascorbic acid works better for people, if tolerated. I also feel a better effect with ascorbic acid. Then this article which mentions ascorbic acid vs sodium ascorbate appeared which made a lot of sense:

http://www.sott.net/article/284126-Vitamin-C-A-cure-for-Ebola

It is not that you can't take magnesium with vitamin C, but that stomach acid is really important for digestion. So any supplements with alkaline properties are best taken away from meals. Specially if your digestive tract has taken a hit from too many carbs over the years... People usually have low stomach acidity as they age, then they have all kinds of problems derived from not absorbing nutrients (i.e. hair loss, macular degeneration, pneumonias, osteoporosis, etc!). I'm sure anti-nutrients and carbs are big factors in here though.

thanks for the reminder about that article, I did read it when it came out, but had forgotten some of the pertinent information.

it makes sense, I will definitely make sure I keep my supplementing away from meals from now on and I'm sure I can change my routine to fit.

Well, herbal colonics can be very irritating to the gut, specially if it is one of those who have a lot of fiber. I remember having colitis for over a month after I did one of those colonics. Perhaps some probiotic will help. Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg is known to decrease sensitivities to food, it also promotes a better bowel movement.

My 2 cents!

this s the tonic I was taking _http://meridiantables.com/Pinnacle-Herbal-Tonic

it contains:
Each 10mL contains herbal extracts equivalent to dry: Capsicum annuum (Cayenne) fruit 664mg, Fucus vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) whole plant 760mg, Arctium lappa (Burdock) root 34.4mg, Filipendula ulmaria (Meadowsweet) leaf 34.4mg, Trigonella foenum-graecum (Fenugreek) seed 45.7mg, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) stem 45.7mg, Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood) whole plant 47.5mg, Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit 47.7mg, Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) seed 49.2mg, Valeriana officinalis (Valerian) root 55.2mg, Juniperus communis (Juniper) fruit 95.4mg, Syzygium aromaticum (Clove) flower bud 98.5mg, Taraxacum officinale (Dandelion) root 138mg, Juglans nigra (Black Walnut) hull 190mg, Cassia angustifolia (Senna) fruit 1250mg. No Sugar. No Gluten. No Yeast. No Animal products.

it really did clear me out. I have been on probiotics for the last 5 months or so, my Naturopath recommended taking a different type every month. Reading the ingredients for my current one it has Lactobacillus rhamnosus, which I'm pleased about.

I really appreciate your 2 cents Gaby, I feel like it confirms the things I was thinking :cool2: I will start up the pure ascorbic acid again on the weekend and see how I go

I went through some cold in the last weekend. As per my usual protocol, I loaded up on vitamin C the moment I felt unwell. However, I experienced something strange this time: I had skin rashes breaking out all over, and it seemed to coincide with the level of vitamin C in my body. That is, it was the worst in the late afternoon/evening and subsided overnight. It was also the worst on the 2nd day when I stayed at home and loaded most heavily on vitamin C.

I read on the web and they do say that one of the side effect of megadose of vitamin C is skin rash, particularly in children, but I had never got it before. Has anyone else experienced it?

Bobo08 said:
I went through some cold in the last weekend. As per my usual protocol, I loaded up on vitamin C the moment I felt unwell. However, I experienced something strange this time: I had skin rashes breaking out all over, and it seemed to coincide with the level of vitamin C in my body. That is, it was the worst in the late afternoon/evening and subsided overnight. It was also the worst on the 2nd day when I stayed at home and loaded most heavily on vitamin C.

I read on the web and they do say that one of the side effect of megadose of vitamin C is skin rash, particularly in children, but I had never got it before. Has anyone else experienced it?
Hello Bobo08. Im not sure if you have seen this thread yet, but it may interest you in regards to your question.
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,20265.0.html

Hi Davey72.

Yes, I have read it. I have tested for ferratin and did a number of blood donations. My ferratin level was to the low side on the allowable range (although a bit higher than optimal). I also think that any effect vitamin C has on iron level would not be so instantaneous. So I don't think it is related here.

Anyway, the skin rash has mostly disappeared since I stopped taking vitamin C yesterday. So my question was just out of curiosity to see if it is a common reaction when taking megadose of vitamin C.

Bobo08 said:
Anyway, the skin rash has mostly disappeared since I stopped taking vitamin C yesterday. So my question was just out of curiosity to see if it is a common reaction when taking megadose of vitamin C.

Bobo08 said:

In my case, it usually helps with any skin rashes, and doesn't cause them. Perhaps the product you're using has some other ingredients in it? This is the one I have: _http://tinyurl.com/nttv2wc

I also think that not using it for now is probably better if it's causing skin rashes, or maybe not take as much? Perhaps others would know more about its side effects.

Bobo08, other than a side effect from vitamin C, maybe the skin rash was viral related? Some skin rashes do get worse as the disease breaks out, then it fades away immediately.

It is more infrequent in adults, but not unheard of. In my local area there has been A LOT of scarlet fever in kids. Suddenly its popping everywhere. That is not caused by a virus though, but by a bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom