Arlington Road

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
This is a movie that I think everyone should watch. We watched it some years ago and several times since. Everytime, it is impactful.

Well, I started thinking about it today when I was reading about the guy who just got arrested in the new UK "terr'rist" extravaganza. When I read:
UK bomb suspect a "normal, average guy"
Fri Aug 11, 8:37 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Ibrahim Savant, named on Friday as a suspect in an alleged suicide bomb plot on U.S.-bound aircraft, had a regular job and loved soccer, just like many other young Britons, his neighbors said.
...it really made me think of Arlington Road.

Here are the editorial reviews from amazon:

It's easy to understand why Arlington Road sat on the studio shelf for nearly a year. No, the film isn't awful; rather, it's an extremely edgy and ultimately bleak thriller that offers no clear-cut heroes or villains. In other words, Hollywood had no idea how to sell it.

Director Mark Pellington's underrated directorial debut, Going All the Way, suffered the same fate, essentially because the filmmaker's presentation of suburban America often shifts dramatically within the same film. Characters are usually miserable and bordering on meltdown, no situation is straightforward, and things usually end badly.

Arlington Road begins as an astute study of suburban paranoia. Michael Faraday (a face-pinched Jeff Bridges, who spends most of the film on the brink of tears) is a college professor who teaches American history courses on terrorism. He's been a conspiracy freak since his wife, an FBI agent, was killed during a botched raid that feels like a thinly fictionalized reference to the Waco tragedy. After saving the life of his next-door neighbor's child, he initially befriends the family (Tim Robbins and Joan Cusack), but soon believes the husband is a terrorist.

The first half of the film mocks Faraday: he has no real evidence and is not the most stable of protagonists. Despite the fact that it was government paranoia that got his wife killed, Faraday repeats the same type of behavior. Pellington shifts gears in the second half, however, and for awhile, it seems that the film has simultaneously sunk into a cheap, high-octane brand of Hollywood entertainment and undermined its own point. Arlington Road, though, possesses a stunning ending that's a real gut punch, one that may leave you needing a second viewing to catch all of its smartly executed setup. --Dave McCoy

From The New Yorker
Jeff Bridges spends most of this movie looking extremely worried, and so would you if you thought a major American terrorist had moved in across the street. Bridges plays a college lecturer, specializing in terrorism, who befriends a neighbor couple named the Langs (Tim Robbins and an even scarier Joan Cusack); the question is whether they are befriending him back or using him for evil purposes. Mark Pellington's paranoid movie tends to state its intentions too baldly, and his evident desire to contribute to the debate over America's self-inflicted wounds seems like wishful thinking; but the film is undoubtedly creepy (the first ten minutes, in particular, are tough to watch), and most of the shocks strike home. What will divide viewers is the plot; either the ending makes no sense or it forces you to rethink everything that went before. At least the moral of the picture is unambiguous: if you want to live, don't look in other people's mailboxes. -Anthony Lane
Copyright 2006 The New Yorker
One of the customer reviews really captures the value of this film and I can't improve on it, so I'll just quote it:

Reviewer: Lori L. Graham "yose" (Whittier, CA USA)

This one kept me riveted throughout; I swear I didn't exhale until the last five minutes. No, I didn't see the ending coming, but it makes absolute sense given the ficton created therein (Roger Ebert is full of PRUNES when he says that it "flies apart in the last 30 minutes;" it not only works, it's the only way the film CAN end and maintain its integrity). The performances are spot-on (including Joan Cusack; hello? The woman is allowed to do something other than "zany" roles-- especially when she does so damned well with a role like this one), the plot is complex and yes, far-fetched, but pulls you in and keeps you in a stranglehold. But as I titled my review, do NOT watch this movie if you have to see good conquer evil/hope springs eternal etc.-- you WON'T LIKE IT. It is good drama, an excellent thriller, and while the nods to Ruby Ridge (NOT Waco,as has been suggested) and Oklahoma City made it timely when it was released, the events of 9-11-01 make it even more disturbing now. Remember, when we believe these acts to be the acts of individuals, acting alone, it only helps us to regain our sense of security; the truth may be more than we can bear.
Indeed, the events of 911 make this movie even more important. Everybody should be aware that THEY, too, can be manipulated to "carry the bomb into the building."

I'll put in my two cents on this film, too. I had started to watch it several times and stopped because of the first scene. Having been assured by others that the rest of the film was nothing like that first scene, I finally sat down to watch it. As the reviewer says above, the ending is the only ending possible that preserves the integrity of the film.

Similar in that sense to Lord of War.

Laura said:
This is a movie that I think everyone should watch. We watched it some years ago and several times since. Everytime, it is impactful.

Well, I started thinking about it today when I was reading about the guy who just got arrested in the new UK "terr'rist" extravaganza. When I read:
UK bomb suspect a "normal, average guy"
Fri Aug 11, 8:37 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Ibrahim Savant, named on Friday as a suspect in an alleged suicide bomb plot on U.S.-bound aircraft, had a regular job and loved soccer, just like many other young Britons, his neighbors said.
...it really made me think of Arlington Road.
Yesterday I happened to turn on the t.v. and The Siege was on (Denzel Washington/Annette Benning/Bruce Willis) which is about bombings in NYC and the consequent lockdown by a general (Bruce Willis) who puts all arabs in the city in detention camps.
I tuned in around the part in the movie where they are rounding everybody up, going house to house. The first thing that came to mind was "oh my god, they are going to be doing this". I hope I am wrong.

I watched it last night. Honestly, I thought it was too slow and not very engrossing throughout most of it, though it does come together very nicely in the last half hour and the impact is all there at the end -- like a rush of revelations that is almost too quick, providing many lessons, including that the protagonist didn't apply all his acquired knowledge.

The protagonist thinks he's deep into the mystery/deception, but has actually penetrated it only shallowly. I would have liked to have seen more about how such an elaborate set-up was achieved. When left to guess like we are, it seems like there was way too much reliance on probability and chance for the plan to have worked in reality. Then again, maybe I just didn't get it properly.

AdPop said:
I watched it last night. Honestly, I thought it was too slow and not very engrossing throughout most of it,
That was my initial impression also. It was only afterward that I realized that this was a perfect metaphor for how "normal life" can totally mask what is really going on.

though it does come together very nicely in the last half hour and the impact is all there at the end -- like a rush of revelations that is almost too quick, providing many lessons, including that the protagonist didn't apply all his acquired knowledge.
And that's exactly it; how it MUST be in real life. Life is so "ordinary, so boring, so tedious, so commonplace, that it lulls us into complacency. And that is undoubtedly what the filmmaker was trying to convey... that sense of ordinariness, mundane life that covers another reality.

The protagonist thinks he's deep into the mystery/deception, but has actually penetrated it only shallowly.
And that seems to be true for most "conspiracy theorists."

I would have liked to have seen more about how such an elaborate set-up was achieved. When left to guess like we are, it seems like there was way too much reliance on probability and chance for the plan to have worked in reality. Then again, maybe I just didn't get it properly.
You don't need much imagination to see how such an elaborate set-up was achieved. There are plenty of movies that talk about that aspect of things. The only thing is, they all make it seem like such dramatic, high adventure, that we forget that it is the mundane, the ordinary, the ho-hum existence, that veils things.

For example, only AFTER the end of the movie do you realize that the bleeding kid at the beginning was all part of the set-up, that the terrorist/parents actually used their own child as bait, and even caused a severe injury to make that bait more compelling. Was the kid hypnotized, mind controlled? Probably. What kind of monsters would do that to a child?

And that makes the final scene even more chilling, where they stand there in front of the house for sale and wear their "mask of sanity," saying the world is getting too scary...

Laura said:
And that's exactly it; how it MUST be in real life. Life is so "ordinary, so boring, so tedious, so commonplace, that it lulls us into complacency. And that is undoubtedly what the filmmaker was trying to convey... that sense of ordinariness, mundane life that covers another reality.
Not to distract from the thread, but when I read the above I had an immediate thought pop into my head: The Woodpecker. From "Still life with Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins.

From Amazon:
Still Life with Woodpecker is sort of a love story that takes place inside a pack of Camel cigarettes. It reveals the purpose of the moon, explains the difference between criminals and outlaws, examines the conflict between social activism and romantic individualism, and paints a portrait of contemporary society that includes powerful Arabs, exiled royalty, and pregnant cheerleaders. It also deals with the problem of redheads.
Fun book. I can understand some of the reader reviews: some really didn't get it, but knew something was there. It's obvious that Robbins knows a little about esoteric topics.

If you read it, you'll see why the Woodpecker comes to mind with the above quote from Laura.

:-)

I finally found a copy of this film, having been looking for it remembering Laura's recommendation. It's more than well worth a look.

I wondered what to expect as the first scene is quite difficult to watch, and like Henry above, I almost gave up there and then. Then for the first hour I was completely engrossed in the depiction of suburban paranoia as Jeff Bridges' character seems to be losing all his marbles. He slowly loses all perspective in a steadily increasing maelstrom of emotional thinking and reaction, which carries the viewer along with it. Then I resigned myself to what appeared to be a dumb, by the numbers, Hollywood race against time ending, but when the denouement finally arrives near the end, its impact is extraordinarily powerful. The film is revealed as being very clever indeed, and one has to re-think everything that went before.

Arlington Road is a salutary lesson in how a mundane surface of niceness can hide all manner of evil, and how 'terrorists' - and one should include governments in that category - will use anything and everyone without conscience or mercy, children included, to further their aims. As Laura says:

Everybody should be aware that THEY, too, can be manipulated to "carry the bomb into the building."
AdPop said:
The protagonist thinks he's deep into the mystery/deception, but has actually penetrated it only shallowly.
The 'gang' feed him just enough information to keep him hooked and to masterfully manipulate him. There's much truth in this film, even if it is a work of fiction. Who's to say that this isn't exactly how the security agencies recruit and set up their patsies?

To sum up, you can hardly say better than this reviewer:

Lori L. Graham "yose" (Whittier said:
Remember, when we believe these acts to be the acts of individuals, acting alone, it only helps us to regain our sense of security; the truth may be more than we can bear.
An excellent recommendation.

Henry said:
As the reviewer says above, the ending is the only ending possible that preserves the integrity of the film.
I'm glad this film was recommended; I loved the entire film and thought the ending was absolutely perfect too.

Everything I thought has already been mentioned, but I'd like to just mention how my family reacted to it...
They thought the entire film was exciting and full of suspense, but my Mum told me the film would have been much better if good overcame evil in the end!

I was like, but... what?! But... the whole point was... Wait... no! Oh, never mind. Then I jumped head first into the nearest wall. (Well, no, I didn't do that last part, but you know what I'm trying to say.)

That was the perspective of my sisters who watched it as well. To me, it seemed they had completely missed the point, if good had triumphed, then there would have been no point to this film. This reaction was very telling of how ordinary people wish to think.

Also, I thought it was perfect how Jeff Bridges was depicted by the media after he was tricked, it's quite scary how they can make anyone look like a terrorist, especially with the help of one of his "students" (An agent) who gave an interview for the news where she talked about how on edge and psychologically unstable Jeff was before blowing up the building. She gave an account of him that would leave NO doubt in anyone's mind that he was the perpetrator of the bombing; it seems the real terrorists chose their victim very wisely indeed!

Its scary how perfectly he was manipulated, and how ANYONE could be set up like that. Looking at the way the British media has recently fingered the "plotters" behind the London 7/7 bombings, I get the feeling the PTB could soon be getting rid of many "troublemakers" in a similar manner en masse, if they aren't already doing that...

All they have to do is put up a picture, twist the facts and place emotional hooks within a story, and it could easily be you or me that are the "terrorists". It ain't a pretty thought, but as the world becomes less critical and more suspicious, could the PTB be planning to get rid of us (And other troublemaking groups) via a similar method?

Only time will tell, but we need to tread very carefully in the times ahead...

I re-watched this movie recently, and it didn't lose any impact - indeed, it revealed even more layers. The scene where Bridges' character receives the "ultimatum" from the conspirators and yells, "You sick f***!!" and Robbins' character starts laughing and hugging him was a perfect little window into the mind of a psychopath.

The whole movie, although it had conspiracy as its theme, was actually a fantastic example of how psychopaths play the emotional reactions of "normal" people like a well-tuned instrument. In the end, it was Bridges' character's inability to get a grasp on his emotions and consider the depths of the conspirator's evil that undid him. He thought that he was sniffing out the details, but in fact he was being led up the garden path - knowing only what they intended for him to know. Even the "accidental" intervention of his girlfriend was neutralized and turned to the psychopath's advantage.

It's no surprise that people who like a "happy ending" didn't like this film at all. It cuts a little too close to the bone on a subject that many people simply do not want to consider - conscious, calculating evil, dressed exactly like their polite and friendly next-door neighbour.

Ryan said:
It's no surprise that people who like a "happy ending" didn't like this film at all. It cuts a little too close to the bone on a subject that many people simply do not want to consider - conscious, calculating evil, dressed exactly like their polite and friendly next-door neighbour.
It is certainly no surprise at all. I was a bit disappointed at the fact that the 'good guys' died, and the 'bad guys' got what they wanted when I first saw this film a couple of years back. But, it really sure does reveal the current nature of our reality and no one wanted to see it.

I like films where the bad guys win. Not because I like to see the bad guys win, I just think its more realistic, and its believable. I don't go to see films so I can come out feeling happy because everything in the film worked out OK, I go because I want to see something interesting/thought provoking/engaging/emotional etc etc. I couldn't really care less if the bad guys win or not, in a movie, actually. I just want it to be good, and unpredictable. But seeing as nearly every film has the good guys coming out on top, nearly every film is predictable, basically you can guess pretty easily whos going to survive, and whats going to happen, in most films.

So I did like this film and thanks for the recomendation, I don't think I would have seen it otherwise. I liked the story, the only downside for me was that the film got a bit boring in the middle, I don't think it would have hurt to make that part more interesting. I know ordinary life is "mundane" but I still think it could have been conveyed in a better and more interesting way. I can't put my finger on it, because I only watched it once, but I can't help feeling the middle of the film would make a lot of people switch channels if it was on TV, and with the 'education' this film can give people, thats not a good thing imo.

Laura said:
Just watched this movie and I'm still under impression...
I wouldn't change a thing about it, the tempo in which this story is developing is thought carefully, as I see it.
Lil piece here and this detail there, all under a veil of everyday life.
Jeff Bridges performance was great, it really makes U think at one point - this guy is loosing it..
And.. I didn't see the ending coming :/ It makes you reviewing the whole story
and realizing the horrifying plan from the very beginning. Great movie indeed.

Back
Top Bottom