Apple Cider Vinegar tonic

agni

Dagobah Resident
Hi All!

Does anyone know if there are any side effects on drinking ACV tonic for an extended periods of time ? 3-4 cups a day of 2tbsp ACV diluted in each cup of water ? I really enjoy taste of it :)

Thank You!

I was just wondering the same thing, because I've been consuming it infrequently, but without diluting it first. I don't think enough studies have been made to determine if having 2 TBSP daily is okay or not, but according to Wiki, 1 cup a day could be bad news. The next time I have some I'm going to add water.

_http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2
What Are the Risks of Apple Cider Vinegar?

On the whole, the risks of taking occasional, small amounts of apple cider vinegar seem low. But using apple cider vinegar over the long term, or in larger amounts, could have risks. Here are some things to keep in mind.

Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat. She seemed to have suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. Vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.

Long-term use of apple cider vinegar could cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your doctor before using apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar could theoretically interact with diuretics, laxatives, and medicines for diabetes and heart disease.
If you have diabetes, check with your doctor before using apple cider vinegar. Vinegar contains chromium, which can alter your insulin levels.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar#Health_risks
Health risks

A report regarding an Austrian patient who had consumed excessive amounts of apple cider vinegar (up to 250ml per day) for six years suggests that long-term, high dosage intake of apple cider vinegar can lower potassium levels in the body as well as reduce bone density (osteoporosis); it is theorized that excessive intake of vinegar can cause hypokalemia, hyperreninemia, and osteoporosis.[8] Apple cider vinegar contains chromium which can alter insulin levels and it is therefore recommended that people who have diabetes should talk to their doctors before using ACV.[9] ACV is highly acidic; in one recorded instance, a woman received esophageal burns after an ACV pill got caught in her throat.[7] [10]

Quote from Scarlets
"Health risks

A report regarding an Austrian patient who had consumed excessive amounts of apple cider vinegar (up to 250ml per day) for six years suggests that long-term, high dosage intake of apple cider vinegar can lower potassium levels in the body as well as reduce bone density (osteoporosis); it is theorized that excessive intake of vinegar can cause hypokalemia, hyperreninemia, and osteoporosis.[8] Apple cider vinegar contains chromium which can alter insulin levels and it is therefore recommended that people who have diabetes should talk to their doctors before using ACV.[9] ACV is highly acidic; in one recorded instance, a woman received esophageal burns after an ACV pill got caught in her throat.[7] [10]"

The two cases mentioned above are the only instances of adverse reactions I could find on google. 250 ml a day is a heck of a dose, and seems to me somewhat idiotic!

FWIW my husband D took ACV about 10 years ago for Arthritis. He took 1 x tbsp of Vinegar and 1x tsp of honey in warm water every morning before breakfast. He was suffering with Arthritis in his right toe which caused the toe to curve in by about 30 degrees. After about six months it normalised totally and he ceased the dose having experienced no ill effects.

Last year his left toe began to curve in so he began the same regime and again it is working. Soon he will cease the dose again. As we have just gone over to the Paleo Diet, and he is now using the FIRS we hope the the condition wont return but only time will tell. We feel the difference here is that he is hopefully addressing the cause of his arthritis and not just treating the symptoms, albeit in a natural way.

JD said:
Quote from Scarlets
"Health risks

A report regarding an Austrian patient who had consumed excessive amounts of apple cider vinegar (up to 250ml per day) for six years suggests that long-term, high dosage intake of apple cider vinegar can lower potassium levels in the body as well as reduce bone density (osteoporosis); it is theorized that excessive intake of vinegar can cause hypokalemia, hyperreninemia, and osteoporosis.[8] Apple cider vinegar contains chromium which can alter insulin levels and it is therefore recommended that people who have diabetes should talk to their doctors before using ACV.[9] ACV is highly acidic; in one recorded instance, a woman received esophageal burns after an ACV pill got caught in her throat.[7] [10]"

The two cases mentioned above are the only instances of adverse reactions I could find on google. 250 ml a day is a heck of a dose, and seems to me somewhat idiotic!

FWIW my husband D took ACV about 10 years ago for Arthritis. He took 1 x tbsp of Vinegar and 1x tsp of honey in warm water every morning before breakfast. He was suffering with Arthritis in his right toe which caused the toe to curve in by about 30 degrees. After about six months it normalised totally and he ceased the dose having experienced no ill effects.

Last year his left toe began to curve in so he began the same regime and again it is working. Soon he will cease the dose again. As we have just gone over to the Paleo Diet, and he is now using the FIRS we hope the the condition wont return but only time will tell. We feel the difference here is that he is hopefully addressing the cause of his arthritis and not just treating the symptoms, albeit in a natural way.

I've just watched the video below, by Eric Berg, about the beneficial effects of apple cider vinegar, from what he says it might help the body in many ways:

https://youtu.be/XeHl5Y7m1xM

Has anybody seen it yet? I've searched the forum for some discussion of the properties of acetic acid and found this thread. Interesting data that he brings up:

1) Per se, apple cider vinegar doesn't contain any nutrient, but it stimulates the digestion and metabolism of some minerals and proteins in our body, and it also enhances the immune system.

2) It works against inflammations in general.

3) It counteracts the effects of cortisol (stress related side-effects).

4) It helps with acid reflux and heartburns.

5) It does all this, supposedly, because it changes the blood's PH and neutralizes some bad effects of being too alkaline (changes the alkalosis of our bodies into a more balanced PH).

I don't know what to think, because he talks like apple cider vinegar could solve practically all our problems, it sounds too cheap and efficient and to offer relief to so many health conditions. And all based in this alkalosis-acidosis theory. His website looks like a drugstore, and he says he's "delivered numerous weight loss seminars taught in many Governmental Agencies".

https://www.drberg.com/

Anyway, anyone taking regularly acetic acid? Could it work?

I've been taking apple cider vinegar before/during meals to help with digestion, and it seems to be working. My Chiropractor/AK recommends that I take an additional shot of it anytime I have heartburn, and it seems to get rid of it pretty quick. I've also been using it to help with dandruff. But I've not looked into some of these other claims. Seems interesting, though.

When I was child, my mother poured ACV in our homemade bonebroth: fatty bonebroth is easier to drink with ACV ;). But with modernisation of foods and of way of living, way of eating, this habit has been lost, I haven't eat anymore bonebroth and boiled meat since very long time. Recently, since I do the paleo diet, I've recovered this and it's enjoyable to come back to traditional meals.

I've been taking ACV (with the mother) on and off for the last 30+ years. I find it helps neutralize my body's ph, heal gums, good to add to bath water when I'm achy, and add to most meat recipes when cooking, (especially bone broth) and the list goes on. I'm a big fan! :)

Thanks for posting, latulipenoire.

latulipenoire said:
While I don't take it regularly, I do use acv whenever I have acid reflux (this is rare and usually only when I've eaten too much fat) and it works like a charm. Hope that helps.

ACV is great for the skin too (and it's so cheap!). I've been using it to wash my face (diluted with water), along with argan oil, and it really helps clear the skin. ACV is good for acne, for improving complexion, for preventing (or rather delaying) new wrinkles. Argan oil protects the skin against external aggression, and keeps it hydrated. After using both for a few months, my skin looks better than it did 20 years ago (minus the wrinkles :rolleyes:)

5 Reasons To Wash Your Face With Apple Cider Vinegar: _http://www.naturallivingideas.com/5-reasons-to-wash-your-face-with-apple-cider-vinegar/

ACV has been one of my recent discoveries as well. After reading about it in the Iodine thread, I decided I should give it a try and so far it's been great. I still haven't tried it for other things such as skin and hair, but I'm putting it on every meal and I definitely have a better digestion and more energy. I also tried it as a teeth wash and it seems to be moving out some of the stains I've got.

I'd like to add that every meal tastes better with ACV too, so it's not hard at all to have plenty of it! :D

I'm also a big fan of ACV , I use it usually before meals, as salad with pickled cucumbers, onion, ACV, salt and pepper, it really helps me with digestion and I really like it.

I was looking for a natural way to get get rid of a seborrheic keratosis on my forehead and found a few articles that said ACV would treat it, so I gave it a shot. It's working very well. ACV is amazing stuff!

Here's Earth Clinic's article and some great testimonials:

Apple Cider Vinegar for Seborrheic Keratosis

I love ACV. It really helps when gout flares up. The NIR light is helping with that also and as others have mentioned, it helps with heartburn and acid reflux which I rarely experience these days.

Why You Should Take Your Apple Cider Vinegar at Night​

Story a glance:
  • NBC News reported that half the U.S. population suffers from either high blood sugar or full-blown diabetes, and half of them don’t even realize it
  • Eleven study subjects had a little apple cider vinegar with cheese as a bedtime snack and woke up the next day with significantly lowered blood glucose levels
  • Apple cider vinegar is useful for a number of health-related conditions, such as balancing your pH, increasing your good gut bacteria and helping to control your weight
  • ACV uses are various and unexpected; its antibacterial effects help cure athlete’s foot and heal wounds, the acetic acid helps tone your skin and treat dandruff and the same compounds make it useful for cleaning around the house

Attachments

• taking-apple-cider-vinegar-at-night-pdf.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom