Animated "9"

L

Lauranimal

Another movie with the number 9, as we approach 9/9/9, which is currently being discussed in the thread: High Strangeness September 09.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13571.0

In short, Gurdjieff was telling us that this number was the number of the Time Loop - the endless recycling. And we must note that this "new cycle" implies a new cycle of 3rd density. So, yes, nine is an important number... for entrapment of humanity."

9 is the only single digit number that can do this:

1x9 = 9
2x9 = 18 (1+8=9)
3x9 = 27 (2+7=9)
4x9 = 36 (3+6=9)
5x9 = 45 (4+5=9)
6x9 = 54 (5+4=9)
7x9 = 63 (6+3=9)
8x9 = 72 )7+2=9)
9x9 = 81 (8+1=9)
9x10 = 90 (9+0)
9x11 = 99 (9+9=18, 1+8=9)
9x64 = 576 (5+7+6=18, 1+8=9) ... and it keeps going and going ...

Interesting that its the number of recycling and entrapment, because no matter what number you multiply 9 with, in the end, it always comes back to 9.

As it happens, this movie actually seems to have some bearing on the very significance of the number nine as briefly discussed above.

By Steve Fritz
posted: 07 September 2009 02:02 pm ET

The question really isn’t whether directors Shane Acker’s “9” is a good film or not. The real question is whether American filmgoers are ready for this audacious directorial debut?

The story behind the making of “9” is interesting in its own right. Acker was slowly climbing up the animation ladder thanks in large part to the three shorts he created, “The Hangnail” (1999), “The Astounding Talents of Mr. Grenade” (2003) and, finally, a short version of “9” (2005). The last one earned Acker an Oscar nomination.

Admittedly heavily influenced by stop motion surrealists Jan Svankmayer and the Brothers Quay, the cohesive plotting of the Academy Award nom caught the attention of no less than director/producer Tim Burton. From there, Burton brought in the Russian maverick director Timur Bekmambatov (“Nightwatch,” “Daywatch,” and “Wanted”), and those two convinced Focus Features to finance a full-length "9" feature using an accounting technique called negative-pickup. After 4 ½ years in production, Acker achieved all he had to do to meet the Focus contract, and the film hits the big screen — appropriately — on September 9, 2009 (aka 9/9/9).

Story wise, anyone familiar with “The Matrix” won’t be the slightest bit surprised by “9,” only in this movie both sides have lost. Into this post-apocalyptic universe enters the title character 9 (voiced by Elijah Woods), a living puppet made of cloth, armatures, a bit of science, and some interesting Eastern European alchemy.

Now 9’s purpose isn’t to become a real boy like another famous animated puppet. In fact, at his “birth” he doesn’t truly know what, if any purpose he has. It’s only when he meets the eight others who were built like him, particularly 2 (Martin Landau) and 5 (John C. Reilly) that he starts developing his own reason for existence. Fans of any decent science fiction will have few issues figuring what it is.

That’s about the only real negative, if that’s one, of the film.

Visually, “9” has to be the most stunning experience produced in the U.S. since the first “Toy Story.” That doesn’t mean in the cute and fuzzy department either. Instead, “9” is as revolutionary a tour de force as “Toy Story” was in 1995.

Acker has visual signatures of Svankmayer, the Quays, Jiri Trnka and all those highly Eastern Euro-influenced stop motion masters and successfully translated them into CGI. Adding in his own personal tastes, the Wachowskis and other masters of post-apocalyptic settings, the film carries its own gritty integrity while adding the flawless movement of well-rendered CGI.

In plain English, the “wow” factor of this film's graphics and sequences are truly off the meter. Every time you think Acker can’t do any better, he succeeds in topping himself again and again and again.

This still leaves the question though of how Americans will take to this movie. Quite frankly, it will probably be a huge hit in Europe, where Acker’s aforementioned influences are revered as minor saints. It would not be surprising if it does well in Japan, which has its share of successful stop-motion mavericks such as Kihachiro Kawamoto. Even Canada, which reveres Norman McLaren, will probably go for it.

Yet here in the U.S. of A., the unfortunate truth is, by American standards, “9” is graphically at least five years ahead of its time, a circumstance Burton should already be quite familiar with this. After all, he produced “Nightmare Before Christmas” and “The Corpse Bride,: two animated films which only earned acceptance years after their original release. And when it comes to Acker’s feature-length debut, it should be filed along with those two films as well as “The Iron Giant.”

Not that this is a totally bad thing. “Nightmare” and “Giant” are now accepted as animated classics. Their respective directors, Henry Selick and Brad Bird, now get the kudos they so deserve. “Bride’s” director, Miller, will probably have it in the future too.

So will Acker...in about 2015.

Edit: I just found the websight for the movie and it has a trailer:
http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/9/

I came home from the small gathering party of co-workers and checked "Recent Unread Topics" and saw this new thread.
And this list below there was another hot movie District 9 thread!
Ummm... what is that? :shock:

Lauranimal said:
In short, Gurdjieff was telling us that this number was the number of the Time Loop - the endless recycling. And we must note that this "new cycle" implies a new cycle of 3rd density. So, yes, nine is an important number... for entrapment of humanity."

9 is the only single digit number that can do this:

1x9 = 9
2x9 = 18 (1+8=9)
3x9 = 27 (2+7=9)
4x9 = 36 (3+6=9)
5x9 = 45 (4+5=9)
6x9 = 54 (5+4=9)
7x9 = 63 (6+3=9)
8x9 = 72 )7+2=9)
9x9 = 81 (8+1=9)
9x10 = 90 (9+0)
9x11 = 99 (9+9=18, 1+8=9)
9x64 = 576 (5+7+6=18, 1+8=9) ... and it keeps going and going ...

Interesting that its the number of recycling and entrapment, because no matter what number you multiply 9 with, in the end, it always comes back to 9.

There is a reference/connection to ISOTM footnote also:
[quote author=Ouspensky - In Search of the Miraculous p294]
In the book Etude sur les origines de la nature du Zohar by S. Karppe, Paris, 1901, pp. 200-201, there is a drawing of a circle divided into nine parts:
[/quote]
(see the attached diagram below)
[quote author=Ouspensky - In Search of the Miraculous p294]
with the following description of this circle:

If we multiply 9X9 the result is shown in the number 8 on the left side and the number 1 on the right side; in the same way 9X8 gives the product shown in number 7 on the left and in number 2 on the right; exactly in the same way with 9X6. Beginning with 9X5 the order becomes reversed, that is, the number representing the units takes the left side and the number representing the tens takes the right.
[/quote]

Attachments

• ISOTM_9.png
    ISOTM_9.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 184
EXCELLENT MOVIE ! EXCELLENT MOVIE ! EXCELLENT MOVIE ! EXCELLENT MOVIE !

The message & metaphores were really SOOO well done!!! Not to mention, really great artwork! If I didn't know any better I would think that the writer / animator, Shane Acker was a member of this forum!

Notice that there has been a near total media blackout on this film? In spite of all the big names involved?

Produced by:
Tim Burton and Timor Bekmambetov

Voices by:
Elijah Wood
Jennifer Connelly
Christopher Plummer
Martin Landau

The Picture that I hope will actually attach here, is a scene in the flick where one of our "tribe" has been captured in the battle against evil. Evil absorbes his soul and leaves an empty shell. An organic portal. It then props up his limp body and projects through him, a hypnotic strobe light. Anyone who looks at this strobe is ensnared and then fed upon. I found this to be the most striking metaphor in the movie!

I highly recomend it!

Attachments

• Organic Portal.jpg
    Organic Portal.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
9 vs NINE

The message & metaphores were really SOOO well done!!! Not to mention, really great artwork! If I didn't know any better I would think that the writer / animator, Shane Acker was a member of this forum!

A sign of how close to the truth we are getting to perhaps?

Notice that there has been a near total media blackout on this film? In spite of all the big names involved?
In the UK there has been very little publicity about this film despite the fact that it looks very good!

There has been more publicity about a film with the same name, "nine" only this time, spelled out in letters.
ttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0875034/

But i guess that might be because Hollywood has "wheeled" out some real heavyweights including Kidman/Cruz/Dench etc..

On your recomendation, know which one I'm going to watch!

A sign of how close to the truth we are getting to perhaps?

Indeed! The PTB do not want people to take in this message and start noticing correlations.

Doesn't seem to be much connection between '9' & "Nine".

Nine is the musical re-telling of Federico Fellini's semi-autobiographical "8 and a half". It tells the story of Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis), a world famous famous film director as he confronts an epic mid-life crisis with both creative and personal problems. He must balance the many women of his life, including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penelope Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his confidant and costume designer (Judi Dench), an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson), the -jezebel- from his youth (Fergie) and his mother (Sophia Loren).

The original 1982 Broadway production of NINE, with music and lyrics by Maury Yeston, won five Tony Awards including Best Musical.

I think is just the year when everyone will come out with anything related to the number 9.

Enjoy the movie, alphonse. Will look forward to your take on it here.

~Lar

Hi there!

I'd like to throw my 2 cents as I recently watched this movie in the cinema. I won't contain any details to not spoil the fun for those who didn't watch it :P
Lauranimal said:

I agree, the idea of the machines and the actions that lead to their dominance contain a great message. There are also metaphores but there was maybe one or two of them which called my attention. I was inspired at the beginning, the story is being presented in a great, intriguing way, later on our main hero is getting more and more from new different characters and till the end we don't really know the most important piece of history. About the characters, each "number" is of a different "type", has different personality and different view on the whole action, it's really a pleasure to watch even their conversations.
Artwork and animations are marvelous, in connection with the action (you can't get bored) and fights with different "monsters" it looks great. As for a post-apocalyptic world.

However, the movie is a short one (~75 mins) and the story, tough intriguing, leaves a lot of unanswered questions. I was personally dissatisfied that it ended so quickly and in a predictable matter. I left the cinema disappointed a bit, the beginning was so great but it ended so quickly and I didn't manage to get fully into action.

Anyway, worth watching!

Just finished watching "9" this morning and enjoyed it immensly.

Don't know if it's related to a celibacy experiement I'm trying at the moment, but I thought I "saw" more in the movie than I would normally. Very tempted to say "and I saw this and I saw this and I saw this" like a hyperactive toddler at day school, but I'll try for some external considering here and just mention a couple of things I thought were particularly significant:

Number 1 gradually losing his clothes
What happens to the staffs.

As well as the Enneagram connection of the number 9 (9 different personality types? - could see some connection here with the characters in the movie.), in relation to The Scientist's role, I'm reminded that cats are said to have 9 lives.

A section of the film where the characters play a record of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" particularly stood out for me. Reminded me of "Australia" where Nicole Kidman's character sings it.

From Session 941102:
A: Think of The Wizard of Oz. It was inspired by us.
Q: (L) Does the witch represent the Lizzies?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) So, is there something we have or can do...
A: Glenda like us.
Q: (L) And who is the Wizard? Is that the Beast or the U.S. Govt.?
A: Close. Illuminati.
Q: (L) Are the monkeys the Nephilim.
A: Close enough.

Back
Top Bottom