Anger at God

Hello zyad.

You stated:
I believe that what ever happen to us, either good or bad is from Allah(God).
[...]
Here are 3 verses that explain this in the Quran bearing in mind that this is not a preaching message.
[...]

I am not so sure. Methinks there may indeed be some information discerned from religious texts of ALL organized religions. And, I cannot help but notice that you only refer to that one where appearances are you have great emotional investment.

I wonder... Have you performed any research within this forum on the topics of organized religions? If you have, I again wonder why speak of one face of god. I am curious as to what you think of the possible actual roots of those written texts? Have you noticed how many stories in that one book you reference are also conceptually contained within texts of other religions?

So again:
[...]
... this is not a preaching message.
[...]
I wonder if you are lying to yourself or to us.?.?.?

I agree with Zyad that those laughable excepts from the Quran are juvenile preemptive manipulations for the sleeping masses: "If something good happens to you, thank me, and if something bad happens to you, well blame yourself!".
The monotheistic religions like Judaism and Islam had made the notion of God so anthropomorphic and so terrestrial that from their own point of view they may be viewed as idolatry.

Bud said:
The same people who are indoctrinated with the God concept are also generally indoctrinated with the Satan or Devil concept, right? So where is anger at the devil? Is it because people believe the Devil is down-on-Earth-and in-your-face and therefore too scary to challenge, while God is way-up-there?

Yeah, I know, the study didn't ask those questions...

Interesting that the supposed 'good guy' always catches the flak.

Many of us that were indoctrinated into religion were told that God would save and protect us from evil. When bad things would happen we would feel like God was not watching over us as promised. At least this is what I have concluded in my experience with religion.

At one point in my life, I was very angry at God. But then I eventually learned about, and took, accountability.

Laura said:
At God We Rage: Anger at the Almighty Found to Be Common

If you've ever responded to tragedy by raging at God, you're not alone. A new study finds that anger at God is a common emotion among Americans.

The anger often stems from the belief that God is responsible for bad experiences, according to the research, which is published in the January issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. But anger isn't an indication that someone is turning his or her back on God, said study researcher and Case Western Reserve University psychologist Julie Exline.

here is another essay on the same topic:

_http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/emrapp/2011/11/where-is-god-in-tay-sachs-the-shadow-world-and-a-new-or-new-ish-world-order/

Hmmm…So God cannot be blamed for disaster and also be transcendent. We can’t be pissed off at God, as I have been, and then claim that God doesn’t exist. (Uh-oh.) God’s sheer unknowability (which, again, is what makes God God), means that we cannot expect God to move in ways we humans have determined, according to our own categories, as moral or good. In other words, God doesn’t make moral or immoral choices, because God isn’t in the business of making any choices at all, as God is beyond categories that we could imagine. (Remember, it was a bunch of dudes in Nicea, not God, who in the year 325 decided on the Triune God, the categories of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.) I like this reasoning, because it wipes away the “I prayed and God saved me” logic that people so often believe in after they’ve experienced a narrow escape from some tragedy or disease. Sorry, folks, but God isn’t up there, waiting to hear your pleas for help in a storm. God isn’t up anywhere; God is God. The rest of what happens to you is chance, but that doesn’t mean the world is without mystery – or, and most importantly from Hart’s perspective – without moments of grace. It’s complicated, I fear, and as much as my head understands it, my heart is not there yet.

I am wondering if this "anger at God" might just be a generalized anger at all the contradictions and confusions we pick up while just living. How many good sounding ideas go uninspected simply because they make us feel good at the time on the one hand, and possibly make us feel "bad" for what seems like daring to "question God" on the other hand.

As a possible example, the quote that follows sounds good at first glance (as usual) until it is placed in context with a much wider picture - a process I'm assuming is included in "Allah's" "request to study the universe to see how it works."

I'm curious as to what would be the point of "Allah" requesting someone to study and understand the universe (our reality) if all someone needs to understand "good or bad" is a simple, general belief:

zyad said:
I believe that what ever happen to us, either good or bad is from Allah(God).
However, If it was bad then it is because of our wrong doing and it comes to remind us to correct our behaviour and revert back to the straight and narrow path.

If "Allah/God" requests something of someone and provides a mind capable of fulfilling the request, surely "He" intends someone to use it?

Suppose a bad-intentioned someone knows that this is your (zyad's) belief and wants to exploit it to build their self-importance, assume a power position, assume control over you or establish and increase their ability to manipulate you or to make you suffer in other ways.

Exactly how do you handle yourself? Having a belief such as what has been stated, can you be bothered to investigate anything at all?

As an aside, I really like this:

Hildegarda said:
Hmmm…So God cannot be blamed for disaster and also be transcendent. We can’t be pissed off at God, as I have been, and then claim that God doesn’t exist. (Uh-oh.) God’s sheer unknowability (which, again, is what makes God God), means that we cannot expect God to move in ways we humans have determined, according to our own categories, as moral or good. In other words, God doesn’t make moral or immoral choices, because God isn’t in the business of making any choices at all, as God is beyond categories that we could imagine. (Remember, it was a bunch of dudes in Nicea, not God, who in the year 325 decided on the Triune God, the categories of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.) I like this reasoning, because it wipes away the “I prayed and God saved me” logic that people so often believe in after they’ve experienced a narrow escape from some tragedy or disease. Sorry, folks, but God isn’t up there, waiting to hear your pleas for help in a storm. God isn’t up anywhere; God is God. The rest of what happens to you is chance, but that doesn’t mean the world is without mystery – or, and most importantly from Hart’s perspective – without moments of grace. It’s complicated, I fear, and as much as my head understands it, my heart is not there yet.

Maybe those who get angry at DOG, sorry I mean god, are suspicious of being in a place where they are manipulated but have not done the work to understand this reality. So what else is there to do but be frustrated and angry at a faceless being. At least they aren't taking it out on another unsuspecting soul.

hjackson said:
I'm rather angry at Harry Potter. But not really. Anger is so bothersome.

Hi hjackson. It would be great if you would work on your tendency to make flippant remarks that do not contribute to the discussion. From your posts on the forum and the sott site, it appears to be your normal mode of functioning, so if you would work against this impulse, it would be appreciated because we try to keep the noise level down on the forum.

Could be that this anger is also depression in disguise. Depression for the almost total state of ignorance the society is finding itself into, about religion, about reality itself.

In Greeks ancient times, wasn't it usual to hear curses at a certain 'face of god', like cursing Zeus for a bad weather, Poseidon for a stormy sea? Now with the advent of monotheism the pattern hasn't changed a bit.

It took about nine years of soul searching to figure out that there was no God. I wasn't exactly angry at God as much as I was at my circumstances. Kept praying and praying, nothing would change, so when I did finally let loose with some pent up anger, I said " fine, I'll just pray to the trees or Hathor* or whatever". Really I think the Universe was trying to get my attention, it wasn't long after that when my life started changing in very subtle, but noticeable ways.

*The only thing I knew about Hathor at that time was that it was an Egyptian deity, and I was really just being childish and sarcastic, but it must have started a change in my thinking pattern. :D

In Witchcraft, anger is always seen as a waste of time and energy that could have been spent in better ways. Most often witches are painted as negative soul stealing (insert expletive here). However, the Law of Three and the borrowed idea of Karma, has always shown that any anger spent is anger wasted on no one but the person who is angry. To think that a god, any god, would really care if you were angry with it goes against the notion of a being that knows, sees, does all. It reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum because the parent told him/her to think for themselves, or do something themselves; the child may throw their anger at the parent, yet it is the child that suffers from their anger far more than their parent (as the anger will soon subside, and the child still has to take out the trash).

Similarly, the anger, being negative and repulsive, will never allow the angry person to receive, or attract, what they are desperately seeking. However, as many witches, wiccans, and pagans have come to learn, anger does well to make them feel better for that one moment of pure hate; but when the ball drops, it drops into their lap and they have to deal with it - not anyone else, nor any deity.

Sarrestia said:
In Witchcraft, anger is always seen as a waste of time and energy that could have been spent in better ways. Most often witches are painted as negative soul stealing (insert expletive here). However, the Law of Three and the borrowed idea of Karma, has always shown that any anger spent is anger wasted on no one but the person who is angry. To think that a god, any god, would really care if you were angry with it goes against the notion of a being that knows, sees, does all. It reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum because the parent told him/her to think for themselves, or do something themselves; the child may throw their anger at the parent, yet it is the child that suffers from their anger far more than their parent (as the anger will soon subside, and the child still has to take out the trash).

Similarly, the anger, being negative and repulsive, will never allow the angry person to receive, or attract, what they are desperately seeking. However, as many witches, wiccans, and pagans have come to learn, anger does well to make them feel better for that one moment of pure hate; but when the ball drops, it drops into their lap and they have to deal with it - not anyone else, nor any deity.

That is dangerously close to voiding righteous indignation as anger, which DOES have value. I am getting the idea from reading this that you mean all anger should be avoided, which is not using the law of three. Please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

Not at all. One of the things that ended it with me regarding Wiccans was due to the Wiccan Rede; there are many cases in which anger is necessary to defend, protect, and get someone to back off; or to explain your point of view against someone who is being exceedingly aggressive. As a few of us have stated, anger will rain if someone we care about, or ourselves, is being threatened. I am talking about general anger towards a person's old religion due to feeling excluded or forgotten, or whatever reasons they had for leaving and turning to another religion.

Whenever asked why they are angry, they can't give a good reason, just mutter a few expletives and walk off.

Back
Top Bottom