Almost Consant Cold Fingers and Toes

Brenda86

Jedi Master
I am trying to do some research as I really can't afford to go to the doctor quite yet.

It seems like any time the temperature is below 70 degrees my fingers and toes get extremely cold. If I then warm them in warm/hot water it feels 5X hotter to my fingertips and toes than anywhere else - like a burning sensation - I guess from the blood rushing back to them. Sometimes the tip of my nose will get cold, too, but that is less often than the fingers and toes.

Also, I am having a sharp pain in my left elbow that seems to be related to cold. My left knee gets painful as well when its cooler, but I'm pretty sure that's related to an injury I sustained about 5 years ago.

The coldness causes pain in my fingers, especially, sometimes my toes.

If it was seriously cold I could understand, but, for instance, it is 68 in my house right now and my fingers and toes are cold as I'm typing this - gonna go warm them up.

One thing that sounds like a possibility is called Raynaud's syndrome, or maybe I'm having a problem with my circulation? Is this a common problem? It seems like this really shouldn't happen unless it is pretty cold, which 68 is not.

Also I saw something about low blood pressure, but I'm not exactly sure what is considered low. My blood pressure is usually around 105/63 or so when I go to the doctor. Sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower. (The highest I've ever seen it is 113/70 and I had just had a brisk walk up to the doctor's office). Still, I'm not sure if that's considered low.

Oh, to add to this, if I get up out of bed to fast, I often feel dizzy and light-headed (however, this seems to have gotten a little better in the past few weeks as I've been making diet changes).

I'm going to do my own research, but curious if anyone else has any ideas or can point me in the right direction. :)

I once heard that taking a bite of chilly peeper a (small nip) helps the promoton of the circulation. But its going burn your mouth a little and its very acidic, so moderation is the key. You will probably sweat a little also ! Try this web site imapactlab.com as it some information on the subject.

Hi Brenda
I can certainly relate to the cold hands/feet syndrome so I took a page from my sons' sports injury treatments and it has worked wonders.
I place my feet in icy water for three minutes then straight into warm (bath temp) water for another three. Repeat this several times, once or twice a day or whenever you feel your circulation failing. Same thing for your hands.
As for blood pressure, mine is generally 90/60 but the EE breathing exercises seem to have helped me get rid of the dizzines when I get out of bed in the morning. I refuse to take any prescription medication so even if it was recomended I would rather find alternate means to regulate blood pressure like diet and exercise.
Hope this has been of some help.

I have been dealing with cold fingers and toes all my life. In my case it seems to be related to low blood pressure and poor circulation, so vigorous exercise is very helpful. Lately our weather has been extremely cold, and if I was outside for more than a half hour, my fingertips ached (even when wearing very warm gloves).

A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to do something about this, and learned that this condition is not uncommon. Sometimes it's called "Raynaud's." If you do a google search, you'll find a lot of information about this condition. While doing research I googled "icy fingers," and that put me in touch with a wonderful product called Prolotex. They make Far Infrared gloves and socks that are "therapeutic" in the sense that they help to regenerate tissues in the fingers and toes. Here's a website where you can find more information:

_http://www.therapygloves.com/store/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=1

M.A.O. said:
I once heard that taking a bite of chilly peeper a (small nip) helps the promoton of the circulation. But its going burn your mouth a little and its very acidic, so moderation is the key. You will probably sweat a little also ! Try this web site imapactlab.com as it some information on the subject.

Chilis are highly inflammatory and should be avoided by everyone until tested.

Brenda, have you done any research on the net or in the diet & health section here?

Thanks. Laura.... I was wondering if this something common to all or but a few. And what from your readings or observations ( not to be personal ) are the side effects to the inflammatory affects such as swellling and or soreness. And would it be something common to a culture that includes these foods in there diet. Just food for thought? I still eat eggs but i eat the whites only and avoid the as to the recommend on your part that indicated that breaking the yokes creates the inflammatory side effects ..........Thanks for the information !

Cold fingers and toes can be also due to thyroid or adrenal imbalances (low function). Here is the thread of adrenal fatigue: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=488.0

Laura said:
M.A.O. said:

Chilis are highly inflammatory and should be avoided by everyone until tested.

Brenda, have you done any research on the net or in the diet & health section here?

I have been doing some research as I get the free time. I had actually read the chili pepper idea, but something about that didn't seem right to me - especially since I don't react well to chilis in the first place.
I also read about this:
stellar said:
Hi Brenda
I can certainly relate to the cold hands/feet syndrome so I took a page from my sons' sports injury treatments and it has worked wonders.
I place my feet in icy water for three minutes then straight into warm (bath temp) water for another three. Repeat this several times, once or twice a day or whenever you feel your circulation failing. Same thing for your hands.
As for blood pressure, mine is generally 90/60 but the EE breathing exercises seem to have helped me get rid of the dizziness when I get out of bed in the morning. I refuse to take any prescription medication so even if it was recomended I would rather find alternate means to regulate blood pressure like diet and exercise.
Hope this has been of some help.
It was referred to as "re-training" your arteries. I'd like to read about it a little more before I actually go and try it, as well. Right now, I do put my feet and hands under warm water when it happens to make it better.

From what I have been reading, I definitely could have some sort of circulation problem, but my full range of problems could be many different things... I do suffer from frequent headaches, often feel dizzy upon standing too quickly from bed, and occasionaly (but frequently enough to notice, my heart feels like it skips a beat (which makes me lose my breath).

Like I said before, though, the headaches and dizzy spells have almost gone away completely in the last few weeks with my diet changes (down to almost no sugar, dairy, and wheat).

Actually, one thing that was clearly not harmful that I decided to try after reading this suggestion on the web is to wear loose rather than tight layers and especially, looser socks. With wearing my looser socks instead of the tighter ones, I have noticed an improvement in how cold my toes feel. They are chilly, but not painful, at least.

M.A.O. said:
Thanks. Laura.... I was wondering if this something common to all or but a few. And what from your readings or observations ( not to be personal ) are the side effects to the inflammatory affects such as swellling and or soreness. And would it be something common to a culture that includes these foods in there diet. Just food for thought? I still eat eggs but i eat the whites only and avoid the as to the recommend on your part that indicated that breaking the yokes creates the inflammatory side effects ..........Thanks for the information !

Each individual is different, of course, but it can be generally said that nightshade foods are problematical for more than half of the human population wherever they live. As for cultures that eat a lot of them, you'd need to do some research to find out what their health issues might be, but I'm willing to bet a little bit that they have problems related to nightshade that are unrecognized.

As for eggs... the part that causes me inflammation is the white, not the yolk and the same is true for most people who are sensitive to eggs.

The problem with food sensitivities is that we often are in such a state of constant reaction that we no longer detect the reaction - our bodies are just forced to work too hard to detox. It's like losing your ability to taste something after eating it all the time. Only when you remove it from your diet does the sensitivity to tasting it return. After what I have witnessed over the past year and a half experimenting with these things and observing a couple dozen other people engaged in the experimentation, I've got the idea that everybody should try the elimination diet because there is no other way to know what food sensitivities you may or may not have.

It has been quite a revelation to see people finding out that they are sensitive to this or that food and how much better they feel in surprising ways when they eliminate it from their diet. For example, something as seemingly unrelated as an aching back that one would think has NO relation to a food sensitivity, turned out to be exactly that. The same with red, itchy eyes. Swollen ankles. Shoulder and neck pain. Reflux esophagus. Brain fog. Irritability. Automatic negative thoughts. Eczema and other rashes. Sneezing. Restless legs. And so on. It's been an amazing journey to observe how profoundly what we eat affects how we feel, (physically and emotionally), and how we think.

Naturally, the biggest offenders - and most common - seem to be wheat and dairy, but eggs and nightshade are high on the list too. I seem to be able to eat raw tomatoes if I don't eat too many. And I can eat a little potato once in awhile. But cooked tomatoes are out and peppers can set off the inflammation in just the tiniest amounts. Egg whites too. And almonds. (Other tree nuts also.) These seem to be very common sensitivities and even outright allergies for many, many people. So, just because a cuisine includes these things, doesn't mean it is good for the people eating them. They could be having all kinds of reactions that do not appear to be directly related by old medical "science."

"Once i was in the dark, now aim enlightened". Thanks once again Laura for your insight and personal experience's in the subject of inflammation and allergies causing foods. I did look up the issue of the infamatory effects to eggs and the source that i checked said that the yokes were the culprit as the whites were OK .. So as one might guess it's not a matter what one reads but it how its effect are felt on and individual basis that should be the indicator as you have said. Of the many foods you have described i must admit that knowing that I still am exposing myself to to many foods and there side effects were perhaps becoming more noticeable. I do low impact exercise such as walk, hike, and bicycle . The walks and hikes run about 2 hours non stop. And the bicycle about 3 hours continues with an occasional short break for re-hydration, food, also to practice the wind pipe bearthing technice and to take the majestic scenery on the route i bike and walk . What I did notice was the one ankle and at different times was at times sore or inflamed. I though at first that it might be to having over extending my workout activity's as i alternate between the three depending on the wheather. But I also was experiencing the eye issue and the needed to massage them lately and wondering why. No back probelms, but the one thing that really stood out was the negative thought waves and irritability as you have commented on many times and in other thread's. It would seem that if the two were to be mixed, the irritability and the negative thought patterns it could put one in danger to selfsabotage and or attack. I would think it's high time to consider the detox program and a closer monitoring of what i ingest as many of these item's have been so programed for so long as means of substance. The payoff will come no doubt in the benefit's to detoxing and the change of food purchase patterns. Thanks for reminder to the causes to if this issue which promotes awareness, which breeds vigilance , and which provides protection !

Back
Top Bottom