Alligator blood 'may fight bugs'

RedFox

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Saw this on the news this morning. Two thoughts went through my head....wow thats pretty cool..and...I wonder if its linked to this http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8583
The second thought came from the mention of 'alligator blood'....but the posted news article says 'alligator blood products'
Need to learn to improve my internal word filters...lol

From _http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7330051.stm
Proteins isolated from alligator blood may lead to new antibiotics to treat "superbugs", such as MRSA.

Speaking at the American Chemical Society conference, US researchers said the discovery could also lead to treatments for severe burns and ulcers.

Alligators can suffer serious injuries during fierce territorial battles but heal quickly despite contact with bacteria, viruses and fungi.

Antibiotic resistance is on the rise yet there is a lack of new treatments.

Humans build up immunity to infection-causing organisms after coming into contact with them.

But, the Louisiana researchers said, previous work has shown alligators have a particularly strong immune system which can fight microorganisms such as fungi, viruses, and bacteria without being previously exposed to them.

The team collected blood samples from American alligators after injecting them with a substance to stimulate their immune systems.

They then isolated infection-fighting white blood cells and extracted antibiotic proteins.

In laboratory tests, tiny amounts of the protein extracts killed a wide range of bacteria, including MRSA.

The proteins also killed six out of eight different strains of Candida albicans - a yeast infection which can be a serious problem in people with weakened immune systems, such as Aids patients.

Future treatments

It is hoped the proteins can be used as a basis for new antibacterial and antiviral drugs to treat human infections.

The next step is to work out the exact chemical structure of the antibiotic proteins.

The researchers are also looking into the possibility of using the alligator proteins in developing treatments for HIV after showing white blood cells from alligators could destroy the virus in a Petri dish.

Biochemist Dr Mark Merchant, who has been looking into the antibiotic properties of alligator blood for the past four years, said the team was very excited about the potential for developing antibacterial and antifungal treatments.

"There's a real possibility that you could be treated with an alligator blood product one day."

He predicts creams made from alligator blood could be used for treatment of diabetic foot ulcers or to keep infections at bay in burn patients.

Dr Merchant has done similar work using Australian crocodiles.

Professor Paul Williams, an expert in microbiology at the University of Nottingham said most antibiotics in use today were developed a long time ago.

"We're basically running out so we need to develop new antibiotics.

"People are looking for peptides in frog skin and alligators, for example, to see if they are effective at reducing virulence, killing bacteria or improving the ability of the immune system to fight infection.

"But lots of them have never made it into the clinic."
Seems this search has been going on a while, as a very similar news item was posted 19th August 2005
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4155522.stm

Perhaps it was just a filler item in the news this morning, but it peeked my curiosity.

Thanks, I collect this stuff and my file of these types of stories is getting voluminous. The operative words contained in these stories are "could", "may lead to", "holds out hope for"... but as your story states ""But lots of them have never made it into the clinic." Let me clarify that last statement; NONE of them made it into the clinics.

The fact is, none of them make it into the clinics because the last thing the pharmas want is cures for anything that threatens their antibiotic sales. Within the past year, most with regard to MRSA alone, we have been presented with green French mud, honey, and even snake oil (not kidding http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=snake-oil-salesmen-knew-something )... now alligator blood, Sigh... I notice also that the BBC link has two more "potential cure stories" for MRSA...

Rockpools could contain MRSA cure

Rock pools could hold the secret of a cure for the hospital superbug MRSA, scientists say.

Scottish researchers have found several types of bacteria which, together, act as a powerful natural antibiotic against MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus).

One in particular is proving effective, and has attracted interest from major pharmaceutical companies.

MRSA, which is responsible for an increasing number of deaths, has built up resistance to antibiotics commonly used in hospitals, so doctors are searching for something new to treat it with.

snip
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2803451.stm
and this

Deep sea weapon against superbug

Bacteria live hundreds of metres below sea
A bacterium found 300 metres below sea
could be used to fight the superbug MRSA, scientists believe.

UK experts from the Universities of Kent and Newcastle found a new species of a common bacterium that lives in the sea beds of Japan can kill MRSA.

snip
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4579207.stm
As best I can figure, these stories are regularly put forth to keep the public warm and fuzzy in the false belief that our friends in the pharmaceutical industry are leaving no stone unturned in rushing to find novel ways to protect us from those nasty "killer" bugs. Never is it mentioned that a preventative and a cure for MRSA is already available, and has been for quite some while, at your local health food store or vitamin shop today.

I am going to refer you to some pages at my website, which markets and educates about these products. You do not need to order them from us though. As I said, your vitamin shop probably has these products on their shelf right now.

First is the summary of the Brigham Young University Microbiology Department trials completed around 2000. Note the solution strengths and kill times for the in vitro studies. Staph aureaus (all variants) killed in under 5 minutes at 5 ppm. Bacteria are unable to develop resistance to silver sols. The silver sols work catalytically and not chemically, as do antibiotics. http://www.lifesilver.com/brigham.pdf

There is currently an ongoing MRSA human study involving these silver sols. It is being conducted at three universities and a paper will soon be published, or so I am told, but if it goes through peer review before publication I do not expect to see it for a while. Our website has some interesting anecdotal MRSA testimonials. The one at the top of the page includes photos from a lady confined to a Texas nursing home where she contracted the bacteria. http://www.lifesilver.com/testimonials.htm

Not only are these silver sols effective on MRSA, they do a very good job on just about every other bacterial and fungal infection:

From US Patent 7,135,195, Sec 15, Approved November 14, 2006

15. Data Summary

The following table contains a summary of the above results in terms of the effects of the inventive silver composition on a wide variety of microbes and human diseases. In some cases, the data presented in the table is not repeated above. However, the results were obtained using the procedures explained above so that one of ordinary skill in the art can readily replicated the results.

Human Diseases Cured By and Pathogens Killed by the Inventive Silver Composition:

TABLE-US-00021 Disease Pathogen Effective Concentration Boils Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 5 ppm Osteomyelitis Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 5 ppm Bacillary Dysentery Shigella boydii Killed @ 2.5 ppm Burn Infections Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Dental Plaque Streptococcus mutans Killed @ 5 ppm Diarrhea (Bloody) Shigella boydii Killed @ 2.5 ppm Diarrhea Escherichia coli Killed @ 2.5 ppm Ear Infection Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Ear Infection Streptococcus pneumonie Killed @ 2.5 ppm Enteric Fever Salmonella tyhimurium Killed @ 2.5 ppm Epiglottitis (In children) Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Eye Infections Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 5 ppm Corneal Ulcers-Keratitis Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Food Poisoning Salmonella arizona Killed @ 5 ppm Food Poisoning Salmonella tyhimurium Killed @ 2.5 ppm Food Poisoning Escherichia coli Killed @ 2.5 ppm Endocarditis Streptococcus faecalis Killed @ 2.5 ppm Endocarditis Streptococcus gordonii Killed @ 5 ppm Meningitis Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Meningitis Enterobacter aerogenes Killed @ 2.5 ppm Meningitis Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Meningitis Streptococcus pneumonie Killed @ 2.5 ppm Nosocomial Infections Klebsiella pneumoniae Killed @ 2.5 ppm Nosocomial Infections Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Nosocomial Infections (From Streptococcus pyogenes Killed @ 1.25 ppm hospitals) Pneumonia Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 5 ppm Pneumonia Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Pneumonia Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Pneumonia Streptococcus pneumonie Killed @ 2.5 ppm Respiratory Tract Infections Streptococcus pyogenes Killed @ 1.25 ppm Respiratory Tract Infections E. coli Killed @ 2.5 ppm,, Respiratory Tract Infections Klebsiella pneumoniae Killed @ 2.5 ppm Scarlet Fever Streptococcus pyogenes Killed @ 1.25 ppm Septicemia Enterobacter aerpyogenes Killed @ 2.5 ppm Sinus Infections Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Sinusitis Streptococcus pneumonie Killed @ 2.5 ppm Impetigo Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 1.25 ppm Skin Infections Staphylococcus aureus Killed @ 5 ppm Skin Infections Streptococcus pyogenes Killed @ 1.25 ppm Strep Throat Streptococcus pyogenes Killed @ 1.25 ppm Suppurative Arthritis Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Throat Infections Haemophilus influenzae Killed @ 1.25 ppm Tooth Decay Streptococcus mutans Killed @ 5 ppm Urethritis (Men) Trichomonas vaginalis Killed @ 10 ppm Urinary Tract Infections E. coli Killed @ 2.5 ppm Urinary Tract Infections Klebsiella pneumoniae Killed @ 2.5 ppm Urinary Tract Infections Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Urinary Tract Infections Streptococcus faecalis Killed @ 2.5 ppm Urinary Tract Infections Enterobacter aerpyogenes Killed @ 2.5 ppm Vaginitis (Women) Trichomonas vaginalis Killed @ 10 ppm Wound Infections Escherichia coli Killed @ 2.5 ppm Wound Infections Enterobacter aerpyogenes Killed @ 2.5 ppm Wound Infections Klebsiella pneumoniae Killed @ 2.5 ppm Wound Infections Pseudomonas aeruginosa Killed @ 5 ppm Wound Infections Streptococcus faecalis Killed @ 2.5 ppm Yeast Infections Candida albicans Killed @ 10 ppm

http://tinyurl.com/yceqd6
The media will continue to churn out "Could Cure MRSA" stories at a rate of about one a week, and many of these discoveries actually might do just that, but until the natural ingredient involved can be isolated, then an electron or two shifted to create a new patentable molecule, you can rest assured that there will be no products available to the public which contain them.

Rabelais said:
As best I can figure, these stories are regularly put forth to keep the public warm and fuzzy in the false belief that our friends in the pharmaceutical industry are leaving no stone unturned in rushing to find novel ways to protect us from those nasty "killer" bugs. Never is it mentioned that a preventative and a cure for MRSA is already available, and has been for quite some while, at your local health food store or vitamin shop today.
Ah...having read your reply I went back to some sites I visit and sure enough almost like clockwork there are different 'potential' cures listed.

Your right...I think its designed to keep us warm and fuzzy....

I've now noticed how many other news items you 'could potentially'.....news on news drugs, new forms of electrical generation, more efficient cars, solving food/water shortages
Wow....how horrifying
Genuine or not...these things will probably never see the light of day...it must be a full time job burying all this creativity.

Back
Top Bottom