All About Fasting

Re: Fasting, Gluten, MSG, Soy, Blood Type Diet

Psyche said:
kannas said:
Almost 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

The book "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Rodger Murphree is very useful, he compiles a lot of the information and provides useful guidelines for several imbalances. It can be found here: http://store.drmurphreestore.com/patrandbefia.html

I'm glad to hear about your commitment.

Hi Psyche,

I have ordered the book, "Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Murphee and it is on its way. Thank you for the suggestion. I got burned out years ago reading various materials and books on Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and trying everything under the sun including essences, homeopathic remedies, herbs, and supplements, and so I quit researching for any type of relief and cure. To be honest, also, I got heavily into 'You Create Your Own Reality' and further fell into the fog.

Speaking of fog, brain fog has been one of the chief symptoms along side and equal to the pain and fatigue with this. My cognitive abilities that used to be tack sharp along with writing abilities as to wording, syntax, grammar and spelling plummeted throughout the years as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome deepened its grasp. I also suffered from short term memory loss.

With reading and research here at the Diet and Health forum concerning diet, supplements, toxicity, etc., this has helped me tremendously as to getting on the road to recovery. And one other important fact, for me, is the EE breathing program has already started lifting the webbed fog and I have been clearer with the brain gears spinning more smoothly.

I know there is a Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome thread, but I thought to post here a bit of an update since I had previously posted in this thread.

kannas said:
Speaking of fog, brain fog has been one of the chief symptoms along side and equal to the pain and fatigue with this. My cognitive abilities that used to be tack sharp along with writing abilities as to wording, syntax, grammar and spelling plummeted throughout the years as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome deepened its grasp. I also suffered from short term memory loss.

With reading and research here at the Diet and Health forum concerning diet, supplements, toxicity, etc., this has helped me tremendously as to getting on the road to recovery. And one other important fact, for me, is the EE breathing program has already started lifting the webbed fog and I have been clearer with the brain gears spinning more smoothly.

I'm glad you are feeling better. I too have problems of wording, syntax, grammar, expressing myself... specially when I'm tired or when the brain fog clouds my mind. I can look retrospectively and see that I had made progress. That and reading other people's accounts and efforts makes me very happy. It is a great motivation to take this road with other like minded people. And so we go, upwards and onwards :)

I'm really happy about the fact that since I started talking about it in the past couple of months, my mom has taken a real interest in doing research on gluten, especially since she has started to realize that a host of my dad's physical problems might be traced back to gluten in the diet. She sent me a pretty informative email condensing some of her reading this afternoon, and I asked her if I could quote it here if I removed identifying information -- some of the information has appeared here already, but some of it was new to me. She gave me the go-ahead and said she would feel good if she could help someone with the information she is acquiring, so here it is (some personal parts taken out):

I've been reading my books about gluten. Seitan, also called wheat meat is basically gluten. It's called kofu in China.

If gluten-free diet does not help Dermatitis Herpetiformis, you need to avoid other foods and chemicals as well. Iodine can present a problem, and it's found in shellfish and table salt. Kelp (found in some toothpastes and in some oriental foods) and potassium iodide (used as an expectorant in cough medicines) may present a problem, as may nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDS), found in over-the-counter pain and fever medications.

Some people think that civilizations that developed between the Tigris and Euphrates in the Middle East, where grain was first cultivated, have had longer to evolve to cope successfully with gluten-containing grains; that's why the prevalence of gluten sensitivity among these people is lower. Other groups, like the Germans, Scandinavians, and Celts of England, Scotland and Ireland, began cultivating wheat only in limited amounts in the post-Roman era. They were mostly hunter-gatherers until the Middle Ages, so those populations have had less time to adjust to gluten-containing grains.

Most people have a pretty clear idea of when their celiac disease got triggered, because in many cases they're relatively healthy, and then boom! Their symptoms appear "out of the blue," and they have no idea why. Common triggers include:

* Pregnancy
* Surgery
* Car accident or other physical injury
* Divorce, job loss, a death in the family, or emotional trauma
* Illness

I can't access the full text of the original publication, but it looks as though Multiple Sclerosis legions can/may be attributed to gluten sensitivity.

Neurology said:
Neurology. 2001 Feb 13;56(3):385-8.
Headache and CNS white matter abnormalities associated with gluten sensitivity.

Hadjivassiliou M, Grünewald RA, Lawden M, Davies-Jones GA, Powell T, Smith CM.

Department of Clinical Neurology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK. m.hadjivassiliou@sheffield.ac.uk

The authors describe 10 patients with gluten sensitivity and abnormal MRI. All experienced episodic headache, six had unsteadiness, and four had gait ataxia. MRI abnormalities varied from confluent areas of high signal throughout the white matter to foci of high signal scattered in both hemispheres. Symptomatic response to gluten-free diet was seen in nine patients.

PMID: 11171906 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11171906

Abstract Multiple sclerosis (MS) and coeliac disease (CD) are an uncommon association. Recently “MS-like illness and CNS white-matter abnormalities” have been demonstrated in patients with CD. We report the case of a 19-year-old female with MS, who presented an episode of headache at onset of disease and developed acute hepatitis (AH) 14 months later. After the diagnosis of AH, an occult CD, confirmed by jejunal biopsy, was disclosed. Constipation was the only gastrointestinal symptom. A serum sample collected before onset of MS was positive for CD. Anti-central nervous system antibodies were negative in both retrospective and current serum samples. Conclusions The concomitant presence of MS with atypical onset, AH and CD likely represents an unusual chance association in our patient but inflammatory immune-mediated damage of the central nervous system triggered by gluten could not be excluded.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/7q57007541002585/

Here is more info about gluten and its effect on the central nervous system:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/205172-The-Dark-Side-of-Wheat-New-Perspectives-on-Celiac-Disease-and-Wheat-Intolerance

Menrva said:
I can't access the full text of the original publication, but it looks as though Multiple Sclerosis legions can/may be attributed to gluten sensitivity.

Neurology said:
Neurology. 2001 Feb 13;56(3):385-8.
Headache and CNS white matter abnormalities associated with gluten sensitivity.

Hadjivassiliou M, Grünewald RA, Lawden M, Davies-Jones GA, Powell T, Smith CM.

Department of Clinical Neurology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK. m.hadjivassiliou@sheffield.ac.uk

The authors describe 10 patients with gluten sensitivity and abnormal MRI. All experienced episodic headache, six had unsteadiness, and four had gait ataxia. MRI abnormalities varied from confluent areas of high signal throughout the white matter to foci of high signal scattered in both hemispheres. Symptomatic response to gluten-free diet was seen in nine patients.

PMID: 11171906 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11171906

Abstract Multiple sclerosis (MS) and coeliac disease (CD) are an uncommon association. Recently “MS-like illness and CNS white-matter abnormalities” have been demonstrated in patients with CD. We report the case of a 19-year-old female with MS, who presented an episode of headache at onset of disease and developed acute hepatitis (AH) 14 months later. After the diagnosis of AH, an occult CD, confirmed by jejunal biopsy, was disclosed. Constipation was the only gastrointestinal symptom. A serum sample collected before onset of MS was positive for CD. Anti-central nervous system antibodies were negative in both retrospective and current serum samples. Conclusions The concomitant presence of MS with atypical onset, AH and CD likely represents an unusual chance association in our patient but inflammatory immune-mediated damage of the central nervous system triggered by gluten could not be excluded.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/7q57007541002585/

The above makes me wonder if the flu like symptoms I'm having right now are from going totally off gluten. (for the 2nd and last time) I know the first time I went gluten free I felt loads better than I do now. I've been gluten free for just two weeks and am feeling pretty icky. Here's hoping it lessens the lesion load. ;)

abstract said:
I've been thinking about fasting for a while, a few days ago i experimented by seeing how long i could go without doing anything but drink water, i eventually broke down and ate
candy...

Even though this is an old post, I felt a need to contribute here.
Fasting is not an experiment. Fasting is not a tool for weight regulation.
Fasting should be a part of the life style. Why am I saying this?

I fast annually (3-6 weeks) for 8 years now. It took me more than 18 months to prepare myself physically and psychically for something I thought would be "an interesting experiment". Several people I knew past due to cancer and I thought if they only had known about the Breuss therapy, they still might be with us. So I decided to make an experiment to explore firstly, is it possible for a human being not to eat for 42 days and stay alive and healthy. (I've been thought during the study of biotechnology that it was not possible - men die after 2 weeks of starvation and 5-7 days without water).
So, for people interested in fasting I'll share my experience.
Many types of so called fasting exist. The method I practice is published by Rudolf Breuss (in 50's of the past century) fasting is a therapy for many lethal diseases, a clean up action. There are two main important things one should do: clean up the body by fasting with tea/vegetable juice drinking and own environment clean up. It's about detox of inside and outside environment. The book contains instructions for herbal drinks and fasting, I personally have found that part OK. The other part of a book is about pollutants remove from one's house or work. The latest is rather outdated and more reading material could be find in Dr H. Clark "The Cure for All Diseases" And the Cure for All Cancers".

During the fast, for first 10 days I was feeling a tremendous hunger, I would eat anything, Luckily, my refrigerator was empty,There was no food around. My blood pressure was rather low (lower than usual), I had no strength to climb up to the third floor without taking a break. I felt dizzy from time to time. The book suggests that herbal tea for kidneys cleanse is very important and should be taken the exact recipe. Which I haven't, I took another one from the nearest pharmacy. And then kidney pain appeared. I read the book again I realised that was very important to follow the instructions otherwise I can damage kidneys irreversibly.

There was also unpleasant bowel cleanse that must be done, otherwise all toxins remain in the body.
That was an experimental part, the rest is practice. During years of the therapy implementation, my body accepted the fast. There are no dizziness, nor kidney problems, yet there is hunger in first days, but that pasts away soon.
During the fast the metabolism decreases a lot, so you won't be loosing weight much if that's your motivation for this treatment. I lost 8 kg in first y. and later it's about 4-5 kg. But it is much easier to keep the weight stable onwards.
Benefits I gained due to the fasting: bacteria and viruses I had left (in 6 weeks cleanse programme). My sinusitis has gone, even though I still have minor nose infection (hopefully this year that will past as well).The thyroid works normally now and many minor improvements I have.

If you decide to implement the fasting, please,
-Read instructions of the suggested methodology this one or any other one.
-Follow instructions, otherwise, you can damage your body.
-Purchase drinks and herbal teas in advance in sufficient quantity
-Do not drive car or any other vehicle that might endanger your or other people, if you feel dizzy.
-Develop an emergency plan (which includes members of your family or friends).
-If you have serous health problem, please, don't do this without your doctors' approval
-Select the time of the year when have no much work to do.
-Please, remember, you can start eating any time you want, it s all about your determination to endure the hunger and extend your body limits.

I'll be glad to provide more information if someone wants.

Edit=Quote

Laura said:
Good lord! The following stood out like a giant red flag!!!

Aurora said:
interview said:
Mike: I find a lot of the vegetarian foods, or so-called health foods, use yeast extracts.

Dr. Blaylock: The worst of the things they're doing are the soy extracts. Soybeans, naturally, have one of the highest glutamate levels of any of the plant products. When you hydrolyze it, you release the glutamate, and the soy protein isolates. The glutamate levels are higher than a lot of what you'll find in MSG products, yet the vegetarians are just eating it like it's the healthiest thing in the world.

There was a 25-year study done, which looked at people who consumed the most soy products, and they followed them for 25 years and did serial CT scans. They found out that the people who consumed the most soybean products had the greatest incidence of dementia and brain atrophy.

These people are destroying their nervous system, and I talked to a lot of them who complained of severe migraine headaches. I said, "Get off the soy," and they do, and that migraine headache goes away. In addition, you have very high manganese levels, which is toxic to the very same part of the brain that produces Parkinson's. You've got a mixture of toxins with soy products, and the people think they are eating a healthy, nutritious product. It's destroying their nervous system, as well as other organs.

Mike: In this whole debate of soy versus cow's milk, we find misinformation in both camps.

Dr. Blaylock: I wouldn't recommend either one. If you're obsessed with milk, use goat's milk. It's closer to human milk, but I wouldn't recommend cow's milk or soy milk. I think people ought to avoid soy products as if they were poison. [...]

Mike: What about the argument from food companies? I actually got into a debate with a veggie burger manufacturer, because I wrote an article that said their product had yeast extract in it, and yet the front label said, "100 percent all-natural ingredients." They said, "Well, glutamate appears naturally in other foods, like tomatoes and seaweed." What's your answer to that kind of defense?

Dr. Blaylock: Sure, but you see, all of these types of glutamate are bound. They're in oligosaccharides, polysaccharides. They are bound in amino acids groupings. They're not free amino acids. If you have it as a complex protein, you absorb it in your GI tract. In the GI tract, there are almost no free amino acids if you eat foods such as tomatoes. The level of free amino acids is nil; it's almost all absorbed as combined amino acids, and then it's only broken down in the liver, where it's released in very low concentrations that the body can deal with. It was never meant to have free amino acids in such high concentrations.

Well, when you hydrolyze them -- or you use yeast extract or enzymes to break down these various proteins into their free, released amino acids -- they're not natural any longer. What you've done is artificially release the amino acids in an unnatural way, and when they enter your GI tract, they are absorbed as free amino acids, then your blood level of that glutamic acid goes up significantly. As I said, it can go up as high as 20-fold, in some cases 40-fold. Your blood brain barrier is not constructed to handle such high levels of glutamate, because it doesn't naturally occur that way. It can handle the lower levels, but it can't handle these very high levels. So this argument, "Oh, it's natural," is just a lot of nonsense.

There is a series on BBC television at the moment called 'E Numbers - An Edible Adventure', I watched part of it and the programme was trying to convince me that MSG acts just like natural glutamate in the body and therefore there is no reason to avoid it due to health concerns. This was then backed up with 'evidence' in the form of an experiment where people who report feeling awful after eating chinese takeway food were given food which they assumed contained MSG (but it didn't). The participants then complained of stomach pains, bloating, headaches etc. - never mind that the food contained gluten and a host of other problem ingredients! This wasn't even considered, nor was the word excitotoxin even mentioned as far as I recall, nor was there any distinction made between the free form of glutamate and the actual naturally occurring forms. Perhaps the BBC thinks the viewer would need a degree in chemistry to understand these concepts? Or is this intentional disinformation targeting those who are becoming aware of the health epidemic caused by the Western diet?

Plus we can't forget that the media is not above "staging" things in a devious way.

Can someone get gluten from kissing?

Unfortunately, yes. If you have celiac disease and you kiss someone who:

* Just ate gluten
* Just drank a beer
* Just used toothpaste or mouthwash that contains gluten
* Wears lipstick with gluten

YOU are going to end up ingesting some of that gluten, too.

Yup! Sorry guys and girls! Or is this nitpicking? I guess some people are a lot more sensitive than others, but either way I think that every little bit of gluten is evil. I think...

Oxajil said:
Can someone get gluten from kissing?

Unfortunately, yes. If you have celiac disease and you kiss someone who:

* Just ate gluten
* Just drank a beer
* Just used toothpaste or mouthwash that contains gluten
* Wears lipstick with gluten

YOU are going to end up ingesting some of that gluten, too.

Yup! Sorry guys and girls! Or is this nitpicking? I guess some people are a lot more sensitive than others, but either way I think that every little bit of gluten is evil. I think...

wow never really thought that toothpaste has gluten - *off to checking my own toothpaste*

I know someone who has celiac and is close to being this intolerant of gluten.

My mum is coeliac and she can drink beer without problems. Of course this all makes sense if we consider coeliacs as being at one end of a spectrum of gluten intolerance.

Ben said:
My mum is coeliac and she can drink beer without problems. Of course this all makes sense if we consider coeliacs as being at one end of a spectrum of gluten intolerance.

According to Peter Osborne, Celiac Disease is simply one manifestation of gluten sensitivity. In other words, it's just one of MANY diseases and problems that gluten causes. It's entirely possible (I think) that while she doesn't experience and CD reactions to beer, it may manifest itself in other problems and symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom