Advice needed: eczema response to natural deodorant

Hi all. I’ve been using a natural Australian-made deodorant (Exposed Naturals) for a few years. Over the last few months, I’ve been getting a painful and itchy eczema rash under my arm pits.

I use Exposed Naturals’ baking soda-free product for sensitive skin because its other baking soda based product caused a painful, lumpy and itchy allergic response. This could have been eczema too.

The ingredients in the deodorant include:
coconut oil, magnesium hydroxide, beeswax, corn starch, zinc oxide, diatomaceous earth and 100% pure essential oils (Australian mandarin, lime, lemon, bergamot).

The product is marketed as being ‘Eczema, sensitive skin friendly’. <sigh>

A few things:
•I have sensitive skin.
•The eczema rash has appeared on my armpits only. It’s bright red, itchy and painful. I don’t suffer with this kind of classic ‘eczema’ outside this. However, I am prone to seborrheic dermatitis - this is generally mild (white-yellow crustiness), limited to my scalp and hairline, and never painful.
•I haven’t changed razor brands or shower products.

Do you know why a deodorant I’ve been using for a few years might start to irritate my arm pits? They may have changed their ingredients, I guess…

Do you happen to have intel on any of the ingredients that might cause an allergic response?

If I’m allergic to baking soda (I assume this given I was allergic to the baking soda deodorant and it’s a known irritant) and possibly allergic to something in this baking soda free formula, what I might do or use to reduce body odour and stay fresh?

Any advice welcome. Thank you.

You could try stopping the deodorant for a short while to see if the rash clears up, you might want to stop shaving for a few days to let things calm down a bit. I gave up on the bicarbonate deodorants too because they would irritate my armpits relatively quickly. I also noticed that if I apply deodorant too soon after shaving then I get some irritation of the hair follicles.

Do you know why a deodorant I’ve been using for a few years might start to irritate my arm pits? They may have changed their ingredients, I guess…
It is odd, I guess if there were any changes to your diet, environment or general stress levels, that could trigger some kind of immune reaction. But you might want to get it checked by a GP just in case it's a fungal infection or some kind of folliculitis rather than eczema.

what I might do or use to reduce body odour and stay fresh?
The search for a great natural deodorant never ends :whistle: the one I use has similar ingredients to yours so I don't know if I'd recommend that, but there's a thread here you might find helpful Question about deodorants... and here Body odor and Beauty Chemical Replacements

I‘m sorry to read about your problems, @OpenMindOpenHeart. 😕

In my search for perfect natural deo, I got a nasty fungal infection that lasted for months so I know how hard it is to find the perfect one.

I noticed that roll-on deos (which are basically liquid) would give me that as they would irritate my skin in combination with sweat.

So I moved to deo-cream and that works perfectly.

At one point, while I was fighting the infection, I just melted coconut butter and added tea tree essential oil and bergamot essential oil to it and that already worked out well with body odor (unless I was doing very heavy work, of course).

Now I buy a natural deo-cream and melt one third of it and mix it with the same amount of additional coconut oil and add tea tree essential oil and pink grapefruit essential oil.

So far, this works very good as the pure deo-cream isn’t good with body odors, but adding coconut and tea tree works as a charm.

Keep that rash in check and watch out so it doesn’t become a fungal infection.

Best of luck to you to find an ideal solution for you! 😊

Thank you everyone for your advice and taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. I hadn’t considered a fungal infection, so I will keep an eye on it, that’s for sure! Also interesting to learn natural ingredients can interact with sweat and create a reaction, and that bergamot could be an aggravator. Thank you!

Hi OpenMind, that sounds very uncomfortable and you probably want to itch it all the time. Definitely make sure you wash your hands if you touch it, and any clothes you have worn - if it is fungal / heat related you want to keep an extra close eye on hygiene.

I am guessing you are not wearing anything tight or synthetic that could be causing this.
Have you changed your washing powder / liquid?

For some instant relief: I would apply some raw aloe vera gel from an aloe plant directly to the skin if you have some, or a friend does. Aloe smells a bit funny, but it really soothes and calms. When you need it, you can keep a cutting in the fridge (it will be nice cold/soothing) - just cut off a bit and rub it on the affected area.

If you can't get any, you can go to the chemist and get some aloe vera gel but the fresh stuff is best.
Nothing that looks like it has any kind of colour added. You could also try a great health food shop.
Also calamine lotion could help soothe your skin.
A cool pack, wrapped in something soft.

For potential causes to consider, this might be helpful (15 causes):

Types of Armpit Rash and How to Treat Them

If it is possibly candida related:
high stress / diet too high in sugar, carbs / oral contraceptive / alcohol / antibiotics / immune system issues

6 Symptoms of Candida Overgrowth (Plus How to Get Rid of It)

Alternative Deodorant Options:
My skin is super sensitive too, I react to SO many things, struggled for a long time until I found this.
It might work for you, it's available in Australia.

DEONAT Crystal Spray - I find it great.
Please note: it is not for blocking sweat, only stopping odour.
The link above is cheap! I pay around $10 at the chemist or health food store.
I didn't like the 'crystal rock' version, I thought it was rubbish.)
Make sure you shake it well before spraying.

It's made from natural mineral salts.
No perfumes
No preservative
No alcohol
No aluminium chlorohydrate
Kills odour producing bacteria
Won't stain skin/clothing
(it looks like water)

'NO PONG' - Palm oil free - is another option I have been considering. (Australian made)
They have baking soda free options, seem to be getting a lot of positive word of mouth. A friend of mine bought it for her whole family and they all loved it. (Contains essential oils so you could potentially react to them or they could stain your clothes.)

On their website:
We will give you a FULL REFUND on your FIRST ORDER if we can’t eliminate your B.O. to your complete satisfaction! If you just don’t like it for whatever reason, get in touch and we can either send you one of our other products on us to try, or refund you in full as above.

Customer Love is number 1 for us, and we go to great lengths to ensure we are super easy to deal with. Our goal is for you to succeed, so your No Pong purchase is NO RISK, ALL WIN!

They have a few bicarb free options: the last two don't have Bergamot.
NO PONG LOW FRAGRANCE BICARB FREE
Our sensitive formula consists of Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Magnesium Hydroxide, Diatomaceous Earth, Beeswax, and a reduced concentration of our fresh, gender neutral, proprietary blend of 100% pure, Australian certified organic essential oils consisting of Orange Sweet, Vanilla, Lemongrass, Cedarwood Atlas, Bergamot, Lime, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, and Geranium.

NO PONG SPICY CHAI BICARB FREE
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Magnesium Hydroxide, Diatomaceous Earth, Beeswax, and a reduced concentration of our fresh, gender neutral, proprietary blend of 100% pure, Australian certified organic essential oils consisting of Orange Sweet, Mandarin, Clove Bud, Cardamom, and Nutmeg.

NO PONG SECRET SCENTA 2023 BICARB FREE
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Magnesium Hydroxide, Diatomaceous Earth, Beeswax, and a proprietary blend of 100% pure, Australian certified organic essential oils consisting of Cardamom, Patchouli, Cedarwood Atlas, Cypress, and Cinnamon.

Good luck :flowers:

Well,

I found this brand a few years ago and I have stuck with it, it's called Native, not sure if it's available where you live, but I looked at the ingredients they use on the one I purchase and it's the following:

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil​

Also known as Cocos Nucifera Oil - we can’t get enough of it - is packed with rich fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants
Shea Butter

Shea Butter​

Also known as Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, a great moisturizer that holds antioxidants and vitamins
Baking Soda

Baking Soda​

Also known as Sodium Bicarbonate, found in cakes and cookies - helps neutralize odor-causing bacteria
Tapioca Starch

Tapioca Starch​

Extracted from the cassava plant
Probiotics

Probiotics​

Lactobacillus Acidophilus are healthy bacteria found in your gut
Ozokerite

Ozokerite​

Also known as earth wax and is great at naturally stabilizing all the ingredients
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride​

An oil made from coconuts that makes Native go on smooth
Magnesium Hydroxide

Magnesium Hydroxide​

Also found in antacids like Milk of Magnesia, Magnesium Hydroxide partners with baking soda to help neutralize odor-causing bacteria
Cyclodextrin

Cyclodextrin​

This sugar-based ingredient from starch that slowly releases additional scent throughout the day to keep you smelling fresh
Glucose

Glucose​

A simple sugar (Dextrose) made from corn

They have a sensitive one and it has:

Coconut Oil​

Also known as Cocos Nucifera Oil - we can’t get enough of it - is packed with rich fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants
Shea Butter

Shea Butter​

Also known as Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, a great moisturizer that holds antioxidants and vitamins
Tapioca Starch

Tapioca Starch​

Extracted from the cassava plant
Ozokerite

Ozokerite​

Also known as earth wax and is great at naturally stabilizing all the ingredients
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride​

An oil made from coconuts that makes Native go on smooth
Cyclodextrin

Cyclodextrin​

This sugar-based ingredient from starch that slowly releases additional scent throughout the day to keep you smelling fresh
Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Oxide​

So far it's the best one I've found, I know I have different practices than women regarding armpits, so there's that to consider but the one thing that jumped at me was the Diatomaceous earth being included, because that is supposed to be super drying, they usually suggest that for pest control because it dehydrates bugs, so I can imagine that the repeated use of a deodorant with it, factoring shaving, could dry up your skin, and that makes it easier to tear and more prone to infection or things as such.

So, my two cents.

Could try just plain coconut oil. I've used it straight out of the jar on it's own. Don't need a lot and I've found it definitely deodorises and it's anti fungal and bacterial. In the quantity that I use it doesn't leave oily patches on clothes either.

Hi all. I’ve been using a natural Australian-made deodorant (Exposed Naturals) for a few years. Over the last few months, I’ve been getting a painful and itchy eczema rash under my arm pits.

I use Exposed Naturals’ baking soda-free product for sensitive skin because its other baking soda based product caused a painful, lumpy and itchy allergic response. This could have been eczema too.

The ingredients in the deodorant include:
coconut oil, magnesium hydroxide, beeswax, corn starch, zinc oxide, diatomaceous earth and 100% pure essential oils (Australian mandarin, lime, lemon, bergamot).

The product is marketed as being ‘Eczema, sensitive skin friendly’. <sigh>

A few things:
•I have sensitive skin.
•The eczema rash has appeared on my armpits only. It’s bright red, itchy and painful. I don’t suffer with this kind of classic ‘eczema’ outside this. However, I am prone to seborrheic dermatitis - this is generally mild (white-yellow crustiness), limited to my scalp and hairline, and never painful.
•I haven’t changed razor brands or shower products.

Do you happen to have intel on any of the ingredients that might cause an allergic response?

If I’m allergic to baking soda (I assume this given I was allergic to the baking soda deodorant and it’s a known irritant) and possibly allergic to something in this baking soda free formula, what I might do or use to reduce body odour and stay fresh?

Any advice welcome. Thank you.
My skin is extremely sensitive and mast cell reactions can be itchy and psinful. Under the arms drives one mad! I found that sometimes it is my own sweat which can cause skin reactions...Has your sweat increased? If so try plain old corn starch.
Also, I use a charcoal deodorant for regular use.

My skin is extremely sensitive and mast cell reactions can be itchy and psinful. Under the arms drives one mad! I found that sometimes it is my own sweat which can cause skin reactions...Has your sweat increased? If so try plain old corn starch.
Also, I use a charcoal deodorant for regular use.
I also should add that if it is eczema/mast cell reaction, putting baking soda on your skin will burn like heck. Best advise is to leave it alone until it clears up, except maybe the corn starch to keep dry. Don't scratch or it will get worse. If you can't stand the itching, take an anti-histamine; one should do and use as sparingly as possible.

I am not a doctor but based on my experience, I recommend using baking soda directly on your skin (to neutralize odor) and deodorants only on your clothes, if you really need to use them.

One should be careful with longer-term use of baking soda on the skin. The skin is naturally acidic (4.5 - 5.5 pH) while baking soda is alkaline with a pH of about 9.0. I tried powdering with baking soda for awhile and after some time there was dryness, itchiness and acne-like bumps. Baking soda removes odors but I'd recommend rinsing it off the skin.

Back
Top Bottom