Adoption Dilemma

Annette1

Jedi
I would like to adopt two cats, or I should say that this is what I am contemplating. I live in an apartment (and I live alone) so the cat(s) would be indoor pets. My thinking here is that if I have to be away for a couple of days, a cat (opposed to a dog) would fare ok by itself and the reason for two cats is that they can be company/playmate/pals for one another. My dilemma is that if I go through a shelter to adopt, the animal will be microchipped. (All the rescue agencies, shelters, etc. in my area insist on microchipping the animal - I've researched that). The plus side to going through a shelter is that the animals are rescued animals, given all their necessary shots, are neutered and are deemed healthy animals. If I were to adopt outside of an agency or shelter (which is possible and I would be able to sidestep the microchipping issue), I am willing to do all the necessary steps to provide for the animal's health and also have some input as to what is done/not done to the animal. I doubt that microchipping an animal is a healthy thing for the animal. I would not microchip myself and would not do it to an animal. (I would never de-claw a cat either as I believe that is a cruel and painful thing to do to a cat and leaves it virtually defenseless and crippled.) My daughter thinks I am being unreasonable about the microchip issue. However, my daughter is, well, "asleep" as is the rest of my immediate family.

I am asking for your thoughts/views on this issue.

Also, I want to say again that I very much enjoy the threads under "Our 2D Friends". For the most part it is uplifting and highlights the brighter side of our situation and I also enjoy the photos of my fellows' 2D companions and their stories.

Hi Annette1,

I've had a few dogs and cats from shelters over the last 25 or so years and never saw a side effect from microchipping. So, if you're worried about their health, microchipping was never a concern in my experience.

The chip is usually the size and shape of a grain of rice and the injection site doesn't even seem to get sore when combing, brushing or petting the area. At least I've never seen any of my previous pets react in any way to touching the area.

For me, the benefits of adopting an animal from a shelter outweigh any concerns I might have had in the past vis a vis big brother. Microchips can only be read from close proximity, usually in centimetres/inches not metres/feet or kilometres/miles, so I don't think they are good for tracking purposes, which was one of my earlier concerns. The only thing I didn't like was being in yet another database, especially one held by a private company (PetNet, in both Canada and USA, I believe).

As well, I have witnessed a few occasions where indoor cats accidentally escaped, because a visitor didn't know enough to be careful opening the door or, in my case, because someone broke into the house and left the door and a window open. Within a few days the animal control folks would call to say they have the escapee and would be more than pleased to reunite the pet with the family ...for a fee, of course.

Having said that, I must admit I have a strong bias to supporting animal shelters, pet I.D. microchips and spaying/neutering cats and dogs.

Cats tend to be treated as disposable items in many societies where so many people will spend ridiculous amounts of money dressing up a dog with the latest fashion and bling but won't spend the money to fix their cat so it can't breed if it gets loose.

About 15 years ago, I was a journalist writing a series on animal shelters. One article dealt with euthanization. Back then, shelters would regularly euthanize cats and dogs they felt had a low chance of getting adopted, due to behaviour, looks or illness. Since shelters typically have several times more cats than dogs, I witnessed the euthanization of more than 300 cats and 16 dogs.

The staff were all in tears and some were sick to their stomachs each and every time they had to do this, but felt helpless, as they knew they couldn't afford to keep all of the animals (staff tend to take as many home with them as possible).

The visiting vet who was performing the euthanization for free, was as gentle and caring as could be, but I knew he was angered by the irresponsibility of pet owners that created the situation. Many of these animals originally belonged to someone, and if they had a microchip, the shelter could have held the owner accountable.

I was so sickened upon seeing an entire litter of kittens put down, that I had to adopt the last one (only to have it die of feline infectious peritonitis a few weeks later).

As a result, I have formed the opinion that microchipping is as much a part of responsible pet ownership as spaying/neutering, at least in an urban setting. And getting a pet through a shelter helps offset the over production and supply from kitten and puppy mills. But as I said, my opinion is formed through an obviously strong emotional bias that I would gladly attempt to re-examine in light of new information. I can hear a sacred cow mooing away in my head.

Regards,
Gonzo

Annette1 said:
I would not microchip myself and would not do it to an animal.

Save that old camera ..never know when you are going to need an RFID Zapper ;D

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/static/r/f/i/RFID-Zapper%28EN%29_77f3.html

Gonzo said:
I can hear a sacred cow mooing away in my head.

Would that be "Dejamoo?" ;)

I'm with Annette on this one...nothing is going into my dog that I wouldn't put in myself. I taste her food each time I open a new bag just to make sure it's not stale.

When faced with intrusive tech, just say "Phreak it!" :halo:
http://www.amazing1.com/emp.htm

Low Power Pulse Gun
EMP GunEMP Gun
Low powered hand held pulse gun generates EMP electromagnetic pulses capable of de-programming and disrupting micro processor circuitry. Gun is built in a pistol configuration where the 8 "AA" batteries are housed in the butt section along with the push button trigger switch.

Directional device has adjustable pulse rate control and a built in emitter for close proximity applications. Specialized circuitry use our ultra low inductance high energy density capacitors with self triggering gap switch. Charging circuit uses our loss-less inductive charging and eliminates the losses associated with simple resistive methods. Pulse energy is approximately 1 Joule with a rep rate up to 30 pps. Charging voltage is over 5kv with a peak current of nearly 1000 amps now equal to a 5 megawatt pulse of power.

Out put terminals may be adapted for a wave guide for more precise applications or connection to an external antenna where you can experiment with maximizing "E" or "M" field for certain applications. Unit can be built in a military gray PVC enclosure measuring 10 to 12 inches. *Assembled units are sold only to qualified personal who submit their order on a company letter head.

EMPGUN1 - Plans (By Download - $7.00) ........................$15.00
EMPGUN1K - Kit/Plans........................................................$199.50

Well, considering the situation, if an adoptable animal who needs a home is compatible, it seems cruel to not adopt it since it has a chip. I understand not wanting to put the chip in - however - sometimes giving a needy animal a good home should trump demonstrating ones dislike of public policy. I mean, at the end of the day, isn't giving the animal a good home more important than protesting its chip - and animals in shelters are at their last stop - it is their last chance.

If it were me, I'd adopt the cats and make sure the last bad day they experienced in this life was at that shelter.

If it were me, I'd adopt the cats and make sure the last bad day they experienced in this life was at that shelter.

Like anart, I don't care if an animal is chipped or not. All my companions were rescues. One was dumped in the middle of a major road in sub freezing temps as a puppy. The other two came from local rescues at Pet smart. I don't even remember if they came to me chipped, all I remember with each one is the moment we either locked eyes, or the first time I held them in my arms, and that was that, we bonded. :)

If an animal 'speaks' to your heart and soul, if you can, bring them home. Show them love and life, and maybe in a few turns of the cycle they'll be family. That's kind of a neat thing, osit.

Thank you very much Gonzo, Guardian, Anart and Gimpy for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience on this. Collectively, your input has helped me make a decision and you all made valid points. Although I disagree with popular public policy regarding the microchip, my concern regarding this issue is more for the animal's health. I was relieved to learn that no one has observed any detrimental effects to the animal(s) from microchipping. I've already been prepping my home for the new 2D family members -- maybe they'll find me -- that's what's happened in the past -- and that's ok too. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Warm regards,
Annette

Annette1 said:
Thank you very much Gonzo, Guardian, Anart and Gimpy for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience on this. Collectively, your input has helped me make a decision and you all made valid points. Although I disagree with popular public policy regarding the microchip, my concern regarding this issue is more for the animal's health. I was relieved to learn that no one has observed any detrimental effects to the animal(s) from microchipping. I've already been prepping my home for the new 2D family members -- maybe they'll find me -- that's what's happened in the past -- and that's ok too. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Warm regards,
Annette

Hey Annette

I'm sure glad you decided to get the kitties after all. :thup: I'm sure you'll make them very happy and they will do the same for you :)

As I understand it the RFID chips are coated with glass because it does not interact with the tissues. I have worked with thousands upon thousands of rodents and rabbits which have been implanted with the same chips (even tiny mice!) and there are no noticeable effects whatsoever.

Hi Annette,

I vote for getting the cats. Our 2D friends need safe environments to grow 'spiritually' too. I'm planning on getting a cat myself once I've moved. Be sure to post pics once you have adopted them. :D

Thanks Deedlet and Megapode for the vote of confidence! Since I was two years old my family has had dogs and parakeets. At around eight years old I found a stray kitten and hid it in my room for two weeks as my mother was not fond of cats, but I did get to keep it. As an adult, we moved into a new home and a mother cat and her brood promptly moved out, but the runt of the litter was left behind. He fit in the palm of my hand at the time. He became a part of the family. At the same house, a stray dog found his way there and moved in. The odd thing is that my eldest daughter experiences the same; stray animals seem to land on her doorstep as well. She will foster them and find them homes. I've fostered cats and found them homes as I was not able to keep them. So, I'm excited about sharing my home again with some 2D friends. Only thing different is now I'll be thinking of their potential 3D status. :) Will add pics when it happens. My daughter thinks the next few months will be an excellent time to adopt as people who get animals for the holidays and decide they can't keep them turn them in to shelters.

Thank you. Ben, for sharing your experience with the chip. It greatly eases my concerns about it.

I just read this thread and wanted to say I am so glad you decided to go ahead and adopt from the shelter. I am not in a position where I can adopt an animal right now, but when I get past my current situation and do get settled I plan on adopting one from a shelter - maybe even a full grown dog or cat as they have more trouble getting homes than puppies and kittens.

This also puts back in the front of my mind getting my mom's dog neutered as soon as we have the money to do it - he's tried to get out of the gate a few times and I don't want him making more unwanted animals. The cat is already neutered.

I'm so excited to see the pictures when you get the kitties. :D

anart said:
I mean, at the end of the day, isn't giving the animal a good home more important than protesting its chip

YES!

Unfortunately, there is mounting evidence they do cause tumors in some cases.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/08/AR2007090800997_pf.html

... but I also agree that adopting from a shelter is the best choice regardless, as it is most likely the doggy or kitty's last chance. Saving two little lives outweighs many other concerns!!!!

This is why I went with option "c" I think there's always an option "c" if you look hard enough.....in this case, a geek toy that can fry any micro chip you wish :)

I know someone who was convinced he had a microchip in his head. He zapped himself several times and swears his headaches, nosebleeds and other "symptoms" of the microchip have gone away. PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT recommending zapping yourself in the head with an EMP! He might get a big tumor in his head 10 years from now due to zapping himself right between the eyes...who knows?? I'm just telling what's been told to me. Second hand info, so take it for what it's worth.

The only thing I have used mine for thus far is tags sown into shoes and other stuff I've bought....and it works well for those purposes. :)

Back
Top Bottom