Acomplia - Don't Bother!

This drug is working for me. I may be using it differently than you.

I first became aware of it as an experimental drug a few years ago. I was intrigued because it was reported to block the same receptors responsible for the "marijuana munchies". I forgot about it until I read that the FDA panel nixed it citing not enough information on side effects like depression and suicide. It's not available in the US but it sure is overseas.

Of course you might wonder "If it blocks the munchies receptor, what about the "getting high" receptor(s)? I'm here to report that this is not a problem.

Acomplia is supplied as 10 or 20 mg tablets. 20mg / day in the AM on an empty stomach is the recommended dose.

Not for me. I break the 20's in half creating two tens. I break them in half to create four 5 mg fragments (give or take) I read a study that showed 5mg as sig. different than placebo but less effective than 20. My first dose was a 20 and I didn't care for the headache when I woke up the next morning. Also, this lowers my cost from 7 bucks/dose to a buck-seventy-five. (For discussions on the problems caused by pharma recommending doses that are too high see _www.medicationsense.com

I don't think it makes sense to take the Acomplia dose in the AM (unless you're a stoner). Although the volume of distribution is huge which means the half life and time to steady state is long (13 days) there is a peak about two hours after a fasting dose. If you partake in the evening then that's the time to take your dose. On an empty stomach for an hour, if possible. That's what I do and it does seem to build a dam around the inevitable flood of glutony!!! At least so far........

June 29, 2007 Two weeks on Acomplia

acomplia,

It appears you are using this drug to augment your use of another, illegal drug. Please read the forum rules on discussion of illegal substance use - it is not allowed and you may be removed from the forum for discussing your participation in illegal activities.

[quote='Gluten Intolerance: A Paradigm of an Epidemic' article][Celiac Disease] is most commonly misdiagnosed with conditions such as; anemia, irritable bowel syndrome/disease, psychological stress, diarrhea, diabetes, spastic colon, ulcers, viral gastroenteritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, allergies, parasite infection, gall bladder disease, thyroid disease, colitis, and lactose intolerance. Dr. Vijay Kumar, a leading CD researcher, reports that the majority of CD patients had visited 5 or more doctors prior to diagnosis and that it had taken an average of 5 to 10 years, after initial presentation, for CD to be diagnosed.[/quote]
My mother was diagnosed with CD about TWENTY years after initial presentation of major symptoms. One doctor not-so-subtly suggested that her symptoms were "all in her head", and suggested she go on anti-depressants! Just goes to show how incredibly ignorant doctors, and the medical establishment in general, really are about so many things.

Yet more info about acomplia's side effects

Acomplia weight loss drug may cause psychiatric side effects in 10 percent of users

http://www.newstarget.com/022361.html

European health agencies have warned that the weight-loss drug rimonabant -- marketed as Acomplia, Zimulti, Riobant, Rimoslim and Slimona -- may cause dangerous psychological side effects, including suicidal thoughts.

Rimonabant acts to suppress appetite by blocking receptors in the brain that regulate food intake and help break down sugars and fats. It failed to gain approval for use in the United States when the FDA concluded that there was insufficient evidence that the drug was safe.

The drug was approved for sale in the European Union, however, in June 2006. The European Commission approved its use to treat obesity, in combination with diet and exercise, among those at risk of cardiovascular disease or Type 2 diabetes. Sales began in the United Kingdom in July 2006, and the drug has since been prescribed to 41,000 patients in that country.

Evidence suggests that 10 percent of rimonabant users develop psychological side effects, the most common being depression. Other potential side effects include anxiety, irritability, nervousness and sleep disorders. Approximately one percent of users experience suicidal thoughts while taking the drug.

The European Medicines Agency (EMEA) said that it had previously warned doctors of the risk, but that it was now making its warning stronger. The agency now says that rimonabant should not be taken by patients suffering from severe depression, or by those taking antidepressants.

The UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has also issued warnings about the drug.

"If you start to experience symptoms of depression while taking Acomplia, or if you are currently being treated, consult your doctor," the agency said. "If you have had depression in the past ... you should discuss your treatment with your doctor at your next routine appointment."

Sanofi-aventis, the maker of Acomplia, responded to the warnings by saying that the labeling on the drug has been changed to reflect new cautions.

Throw it!

Acomplia linked to deaths in Europe

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/if-obesity-doesn-t-kill-you-perhaps-pill-will/2008-06-04?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal&cmp-id=EMC-NL-FP&dest=FP

Americans hoping to trim the fat by popping a pill have been wondering when and if the weight loss drug Acomplia will hit the U.S. market. But recent findings by the U.K.'s drug regulator--the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency--might prevent the drug from receiving approval in the States. The regulator says the drug, made by Paris-based Sanofi-Aventis, has been linked to five deaths and 720 adverse reactions since the company launched it in Britain two years ago. The report looked at morbidity and mortality in association with the drug through May 9, 2008.

About a year ago, the FDA rejected the drug--also known by its generic name, rimonabant--saying it raised the risk of depression and suicidal thoughts among users. In fact, the British regulator found one case of suicide and two additional attempts among users. Sanofi-Aventis plans to resubmit the drug to the FDA in 2009 as a diabetes treatment option. Overall, there have been five deaths--one by suicide, two with fatal heart attacks, one sudden death and one by infectious disease--among patients taking Acomplia.

The multimillion-dollar drug remains available abroad, but now has stronger warnings on its labels. Acomplia showed sales of $122.8 million in 2007.

At the same time, Merck is pushing ahead with development of taranabant, its version of an anti-obesity drug. The drug, which has a similar mechanism of action, also has shown psychiatric side effects including depression, anxiety and irritability. The report on Acomplia is likely to raise concerns for both companies.

Back
Top Bottom