Acomplia - Don't Bother!

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
After reading quite a bit of research about the new "diet drug" acomplia, (Rimonabant), I thought I would give it a try.

Well, to make a long story short: don't bother. For that kind of money, it should work. It doesn't. Period.

Have you tried water? How much fresh water do you drink each day? If you combine that with light aerobic exercise 2-3 times a week (hey I've heard that before) you might feel healthier.

I did some research back in 2003 on water and France has one called Evian which had the highest pH I had ever seen for water sold in the store. I don't know if it is still available today. Here is what I wrote.

*July 19, 2003: Evian® Natural Spring Water - From the French Alps. Evian is a unique miracle of nature they claim. Naturally filtered through the mountains in the heart of the French Alps, it acquires its exceptional purity and unique balance of minerals. They say it is your own fountain of youth. They have sodium free listed on the label but inside the FDA required "Nutrition Facts" label they say, less than 5mg of sodium contained in the water. Evian is bottled in France. They list no ingredients.
Test Results: Evian surprised me a bit. It tested a pH of 7.8 which is inside the acceptable range but on the high side of more alkalinity. I find it unusual to find water in this state purchased in the store.

---

A six pack a day might work but that is also expensive. Do you have a filter?

There was also the article awhile back that stated a women died from drinking too much water of which I suspect may be disinfo. Less food (calorie intake), more water, more sleep will probably work, try it.

Ockham, what caused her death is water intoxication, she drank far too much far too quickly.
Body fluids contain electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in urine, sweat, and exhaled water vapor. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs.

Most water intoxication is caused by hyponatremia, an overdilution of sodium in the blood plasma, which in turn causes an osmotic shift of water from extracellular fluid (outside of cells) to intracellular fluid (within cells). The cells swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure and may cease to function. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Additionally, many other cells in the body may undergo cytolysis, wherein cell membranes that are unable to stand abnormal osmotic pressures rupture, killing the cells. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the intestines or intravenously.

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr.[2] Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet. However, this must be modulated by potential water losses via other routes. For example, a person who is perspiring heavily may lose 1 L/hr (0.26 gal) of water through perspiration alone, thereby raising the threshold for water intoxication. The problem is further complicated by the amount of electrolytes lost in urine or sweat, which is variable within a range controlled by the body's regulatory mechanisms.

Water intoxication can be prevented by consuming water that is isotonic with water losses, but the exact concentration of electrolytes required is difficult to determine and fluctuates over time, and the greater the time period involved, the smaller the disparity that may suffice to produce electrolyte imbalance and water intoxication.

Sodium is not the only mineral that can become overdiluted from excessive water intake. Magnesium is also excreted in urine. According to the National Institutes of Health, "magnesium deficiency can cause metabolic changes that may contribute to heart attacks and strokes."[3] Intravenous magnesium is used in cardiac care units for cardiac arrhythmias.[4]
[http]://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Too much of anything is bad all at once, even water we assume from her incident. I still find the information coming forth suspicious in nature, as exampled:

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr.[2] Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet.
In this instance, it seems they are telling us that water is dangerous, but yet we know people all over the planet will sit down and drink a six pack of beer or other liquid product, and do it in less than an hour and they all survive the incident. So they didn’t instantly kick over because beer is safer than water? I don’t get it.

Don't you find this contradictory?

It's not about to much of anything. It's about to much of water in a short time (like 5 minutes). And here "to much" depends on your diet. So no, I don't find it contradictory.

1. A person drinking a six pack is IMO on a "normal diet". So according to the text above, he can drink up to 3 litre in one take.
6 x 0.33l= 1.98l, so no problem here, except the person will be very drunk and of course why would someone want to do this?

2. A six pack is not even normal water. It may be even less dangerous than normal water, depending on its contents of salts and minerals.

3. So a sure way to get in trouble is to drink a bottle of distilled water, pure water H2O without any salts and minerals. Normally used for car batteries or irons. Something you shouldn't do.

A couple of points made are interesting. I was concerned with the logic of making the statement that something was [fatal] over a certain level in reference to whatever type of water Wiki is referring to. I assume they refer to normal water of which would contain salts and minerals. I may be making the wrong assumption about their interpretation, but it seems that making this statement without including all we would account for in all liquids, does not contain much logic.

If that were the case, we must have Coca-Cola intoxication, orange juice intoxication, and milk intoxication, and the list goes on. Are all these others fatal if you drink too much in short period? Where is the logic in making that kind of statement about water as versus, all these other product? This is what I felt was off center it seems.

I agree with you about distilled water, water should contain salts and minerals, as I assume normal water would consist of. In that case, if you filter water, and remove contaminants, have you also made the water more dangerous, as in battery water?

I wonder now if filtering water is only our best effort to get normal water, when in fact we may be removing the important ingredients along with the dangerous ones.

I was wrong about the lady, she did die from water intoxication and swelling of the brain maybe. The BBC news article listed at Wiki did make this statement though.

Treatment for drinking excess water is "relatively straightforward", says Professor Forrest. It includes giving patients diuretics to help decrease their water load, or using drugs to reduce the swelling caused by excessive water.
We now have another treatment and this one is for water. Also, Wiki said this in the link [1].

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.
Why do some people show no symptoms at all?

Note that overconsumption of sodium (in drinks or also in food), as well as inadequate intake of water, can cause hypernatremia, a disorder that is nearly the opposite of water intoxication and equally dangerous. Improper use of salt tablets can cause hypernatremia also.
It seems we’re being told without proper water intake you risk another disorder. There is a disorder around every corner.

My mother (she is 77) who is about 85 kg. in weight has been prescribed a drug for diabetes (she is not a diabetic) by her heart doctor that has been proven to curb appetite and she says she is losing weight slowly. And taking regular walks also helps (not aerobics etc. ) Decreasing the amount of fat (oil, sugar anything that can turn into fat) and eating whole wheat bread instead of the white one really helps. Last summer I lost weight without dieting at all by going up and down the stairs and working in the garden and taking walks whenever I could and some swimming. This winter I eat whenever I feel hungry, I don't insist on a 3 meal a day routine but chocolate is my weak spot. I did not gain much just a couple of kilos but the metabolism rate of every woman can be different. And one more thing, when you go into menopause, in the first couple of years the body tends to put on more fat because fat cells act as estrogen receptors and they want to hold on to that estrogen (they even produce estrogen). And this due to our X chromosome I think.

OCKHAM said:
In this instance, it seems they are telling us that water is dangerous, but yet we know people all over the planet will sit down and drink a six pack of beer or other liquid product, and do it in less than an hour and they all survive the incident. So they didn’t instantly kick over because beer is safer than water? I don’t get it.

Don't you find this contradictory?
There are two body systems at work here (the liver which metabolises alcohol - as well as other things - and the kidneys which excretes water, electrolytes and all other water soluable 'stuff' some of which has already been processed by the liver).

The kidneys also have a major part to play in blood pressure control, as well as the production of red blood cells. If either one of these systems (liver and kidney) becomes compromised a person can start to have health problems. Often these health problems take years to show up and may have many different causes.

Once, I knew of a lady who thought that drinking lots of water (following the recent 'trend') was good for her. Unfortunately she wasn't aware that she was suffering renal failure and had to be admitted to hospital because the amount of water in her body became toxic as it started to put everything out of wack. Her kidneys were not capable of ridding her of the excess water. Renal failure will usually only show up after 50% of kidney function is compromised. Her brain would have become oedematous and she would have died (if she had been capable of continuing consumption of water). She was put on a fluid restriction when she got to hospital and output was monitored and given medications to get her fluids and electrolytes back into balance.

Anyway, what can cause kidney failure? Well, lot of things: viruses, infections, poisons, drugs (the nephrotoxic ones), allergic reaction sensitivities and very commonly, long term uncontrolled high blood sugar levels happening with diabetes!

As people age, and take and do things that sometimes aren't helpful (like eating and drinking too many of the 'wrong' foods) often their systems will become compromised and not work well. Health problems will start to show up, but these health problems may have had many different causes and vary from one person to another.

The best thing we can hope to do is get our systems back into some kind of balance (without setting it 'off' in another way) and hope that the body can take advantage and benefit.

OCKHAM said:
I was wrong about the lady, she did die from water intoxication and swelling of the brain maybe. The BBC news article listed at Wiki did make this statement though.

Treatment for drinking excess water is "relatively straightforward", says Professor Forrest. It includes giving patients diuretics to help decrease their water load, or using drugs to reduce the swelling caused by excessive water.
We now have another treatment and this one is for water. Also, Wiki said this in the link [1].

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.
Why do some people show no symptoms at all?
I don't know, but usually Drs will do blood tests and pick up abnormalites particularly in Sodium (the Na+ ion). Sodium is the most common extracellular ion in the body. Water will 'follow' it - it goes to the place where the concentration of Sodium is the highest in order to balance it out. So an imbalance of Sodium will happen when a person drinks too much water (and is unable to get rid of it via the kidneys) and also when they take too much salt - normal functioning kidneys in this instance will retain water (in order to try and balance the sodium out). A person will also feel thirsty in this instance too.

OCKHAM said:
Note that overconsumption of sodium (in drinks or also in food), as well as inadequate intake of water, can cause hypernatremia, a disorder that is nearly the opposite of water intoxication and equally dangerous. Improper use of salt tablets can cause hypernatremia also.
It seems we’re being told without proper water intake you risk another disorder. There is a disorder around every corner.
Thats what happens when a 'system' become imbalanced and Drs are supposed to use tests to diagnose where the imbalance is occuring and do things to correct it - usually finding out what caused the problem in the first place. Often symptom control is the only thing they can do, and prevention of deterioration if the person has a disease. But, unfortunately we can also, often unwittingly unbalance our systems.

Hi, Ockham, you could maybe read a bit on Laura's medical conditions. From the health info laura has provided, she does drink enough water. And also, she suffers from many injuries which have resulted from accidents which somtimes prevent her from moving altogether. I got that info. from the thread where GreyCat flips out and shows his true colors/nature. Here's that thread

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5201

Also, Laura asks the C's about her condition and they provide some interesting answers. Excerpts from that transcript are mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

Actually having been to Laura's I know she eats in a healthy manner and drinks lots of water. I don't see the issue with once in a while having chocolate or even what would be called junk. For everyday eating there is no wheat or gluten and she has fresh veggies from the garden (love the spaghetti squash BTW). Greycat just sounded like sour grapes to me. So much of her energy is devoted to this work, coupled with accidents and so on, the fact that she is still doing it is a mini miracle.

Thanks Wilecoyote,

That was well done. No, I was not aware of her accident, or her conversation about her health with the C’s. I have these books, but have not read them completely yet. I feel your ability to see this connection as more than a coincidence. I have made another connection, several actually.

I should probably share my trauma [truth] and see if this can help others. I don’t see my first recommendation to Laura in this thread having much value now understandably.

Additional connections have popped up in my mind about several things and the conversation taking place with Greycat struck a chord when I saw the word [self-esteem], and I would say this person, is very attached to this concept of thinking as presented.

This got me thinking about my experience and why I am even here today, so in sharing this story, please know I reveal my personal life to the world, so I will try to refrain on some of that.

I did not always believe that 911 was a hoax and my moving from one side to the other was quite emotional and painful. So when this occurred, I was clever enough at the time to say to myself, I must do a thorough self-analysis and determine exactly what it was that took place, and exactly what had changed in my mind. After reading the other thread Wilecoyote recommended, it hit me like a rock, and this morning, a second one hit, so let’s share them now.

When I did my first analysis of myself about 911, I had realized that self-esteem was the culprit of which I was previously not willing to let go of. The actual moment in time where I finally was beginning to fully accept the knowledge was in May of 2006. Initially, my analysis said to me that I would not accept the fact I had been so stupid, and this seemed to be the main reason for my not accepting what I now consider the truth in this matter. I believe some people would walk across hot coals to keep self-esteem in place, and letting go of it, is not anything Americans as a whole would seem to be willing to do, for any reason.

But is was not just self-esteem that was a factor in holding me back, or in accepting the fact I had been wrong, and very wrong indeed, to the point of removing all esteem in that situation. There was another attachment involved that is important to share. Now, I bet you already know what it is, and it is not an Op secret, as in Oprah.

You see, I must go back in time a little so this not confusing. At the beginning of 2006, on the 13th of the month, I turned 50, and immediately I decided it was time to flip another switch, so to speak, in my self-analysis concerning my path. When I look back now, I consider it a psychotic event, and some refer to this as a mid-life crisis, but I don’t think that is an accurate analogy. Anyway, I was not working at the time, and decided to spend 4 months on some wild goose chase to discover a new way to, yes, make money. It is an evil attachment.

I would create something only to completely toss it a month later. I did this 4 or 5 times, and at the end of it, I was pretty much worthless. That’s when I started finding websites online I had never found before, and seemingly forced myself out of the loop for awhile because I had given up, and decided I needed a more knowledge focused approach to my future.

In looking back and analyzing myself, I discovered many things. One was, I had finally started doing something I actually loved doing and was preparing for the event of change. It is strange though, it had to happen in that way. Shortly after this began, I could see something was about to happen, and that I was about to let go of something I had cherished my whole life, that being the love for money.

So, here it is almost June, and I have not made a dime all year, my bank account is shrinking fast, and the pressure is mounting. And now, I decide to make the pain go away by just letting go and accepting my stupidity. I did not let go of self-esteem alone, I had to let go of the attachment that self-esteem had to money. And that came to me this morning when I remembered the secret, and the attachment that was being made, to lock them together. That covers the story to that moment in time, and the rest of the year is even more bizarre.

So there is strong attachment between these two, and money is most often hidden, and sometimes not revealed as an attachment. And in other cases, it is revealed, as in the Oprah connection.

In helping people to understand the truth about 911, this will stop most of them from changing their minds; unfortunately, unless, we can find a way to unlock these easier than it was cleverly arranged for myself.

I would like to comment on smoking and the cat too, maybe later, a little at a time.

Just so you know, I did finally get back to work in July and worked solid the rest of the year. My life has been like this for many years, I never know when I will be working or not. I have been a carpenter my whole life and that’s another story. :)

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12048&feedId=online-news_rss20
Obesity pill increases suicidal thoughts

* 17:30 12 June 2007
* NewScientist.com news service
* New Scientist and Reuters

Patients taking an obesity pill in clinical trials were more likely to report suicidal thoughts or actions, US drug reviewers have said. A Food and Drug Administration advisory panel will consider on Wednesday whether regulators should approve US sales.

The FDA said the 20-milligram dose of the drug, Zimulti, produced clinically significant weight loss over one year.

With a low-calorie diet, the drug "was shown to reduce body weight by approximately 5% relative to diet alone during trials of more than 6000 moderately overweight and obese subjects", the FDA reviewers said.

Known generically as rimonabant, the drug is already sold in 18 countries under the name Acomplia.

Adverse events

The agency has delayed a final decision on rimonabant several times amid concerns about depression and a high drop-out rate in clinical trials. "We remain concerned about rimonabant's adverse event profile, specifically adverse psychiatric reactions," an FDA staff summary said.

Psychiatric problems "represent the most common and worrisome rimonabant-induced adverse events", the reviewers said. Depression was roughly twice as high for rimonabant patients compared with others who received a placebo, they said.

Sanofi-Aventis, which makes the drug, agreed that more rimonabant patients reported suicidal thoughts, but added that the drug's benefits "clearly outweigh the defined risks that are manageable in clinical practice". (Read the FDA and Sanofi summaries here: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/07/briefing/2007-4306b1-00-index.htm )

Food craving

Rimonabant works by blocking food craving signals in the brain. Sanofi developed the drug to target the brain receptors that trigger intense hunger after marijuana use.

The French drug maker has predicted that the drug could eventually generate sales of $3 billion a year or more. Sales for the first quarter of 2007 were about $20 million but approval for the US market would take that figure significantly higher.

The FDA will ask outside advisers to assess the risks of suicidal behaviour, other psychiatric problems, neurological problems and seizures, and whether the drug should be approved. The agency usually follows panel recommendations.

Industry experts said it was hard to predict what the panel would decide. Karl Heinz Koch, an analyst from investment bank Vontobel, noted that other weight-loss drugs – Roche AG's Xenical and Abbott Laboratories' Meridia – were approved even though higher rates of depression are noted on their labels.

Notice this:

Newscientist article said:
With a low-calorie diet, the drug "was shown to reduce body weight by approximately 5% relative to diet alone during trials of more than 6000 moderately overweight and obese subjects", the FDA reviewers said.
In other words, if you consider the fact that you STILL have to DIET, (nothing changes about your metabolism), against the possible chemical disruption that is going on in your body, AND the price of the stuff, what's the point? Especially for a pitiful 5% advantage that you still will be suffering to get!

Oh, of course they say "Rimonabant works by blocking food craving signals in the brain."

Sorry, but that was not my experience. It was just the opposite. I was so depressed I just wanted to eat more.

What I HAVE found that works is eliminating all gluten from the diet. That is the one thing that seems to really do away with food cravings. In many people (a lot more than is generally suspected!) Gluten and casein leak into the gut, undigested, and attach to the opiate receptors. Opiates, like opium and herois, are highly addictive. Opiates affect brain function. Essentially, many people are "drugged" on wheat and milk products, as if they were on a morphine drip.
http://www.glutensolutions.com/autism.htm
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/glutencasein.html
http://www.enzymestuff.com/opiatereceptors.htm

Opioid Peptides derived from food proteins
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/254/7/2446.pdf

In short, these peptides attach to the opiate receptors of your brain which can lead to the drugged/depressed feelings. My guess is that the same thing happens with acomplia only with a different receptof - cannabinoid, I believe. In addition, it's likely that, once your cannabinoid receptors are blocked by acomplia, your natural neurochemicals are blocked and lord knows what that can do.

Gluten intolerance: a paradigm of an epidemic
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2002_Dec/ai_94538644/pg_2

Celiac Disease (CD), an autoimmune disease that is considered the most common of the gluten disorders, is often overlooked as a diagnosis. CD patients often suffer from symptoms such as stomach complaints, depression and allergies. Many other autoimmune diseases are also associated with gluten intolerance including Type 1 Diabetes, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, as well as others.

Gluten intolerance is now being associated with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Attention Deficit Disorders. The type of gluten intolerance associated with these conditions is considered to originate from the body's inability to break down the gluten and casein proteins rather than an autoimmune response, as in CD.

Researchers are also beginning to see a connection between gluten and other disorders, which seem to share characteristics such as biochemical, neurological, and immunological abnormalities. These "Overlapping Syndromes" are conditions such as Gulf War Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia Syndrome, as well as others. Also, some psychological disorders such as depression and panic disorder as well as skin conditions such as psoriasis are suspected to have a gluten-related component.

Wheat

According to Dr. Loren Cordain, a renowned expert in Paleolithic nutrition, Paleolithic humans ate mostly fruits, vegetables and lean game meats. (1) The agriculture of cereal grains began in the Near East about 10,000 years ago and then spread to northern Europe about 5,000 years ago. "Because the estimated amount of genetic change which has occurred in the human genome over this time period is negligible, the genetic makeup of modern man has remained essentially unchanged from that of pre-agricultural man. Consequently, the human genome is most ideally adapted to those foods which were available to pre-agricultural man, namely lean muscle meats, limited fatty organ meats, and wild fruits and vegetables." (2)

In fact, the amount of cereal grains being consumed has increased tremendously in the last 200 years with the industrial revolution and more recently, with the technology revolution. With even more growth in the last 50 years, these changes have spurned more packaged and processed foods. We have also managed to greatly enhance the gluten content through genetic selection of wheat. "Today 50% of the protein in wheat is gluten, a characteristic that facilitates bread baking and adapts the grain well to cultivation and harvesting." [...]

Symptoms of CD vary from person to person which makes it very difficult to diagnose. Symptoms may include recurring abdominal pain, chronic diarrhea/constipation, weight loss, anemia, fatigue, delayed growth, joint pain, seizures, tingling/numbness in the legs. Others might suffer from psychological disturbances like irritability or depression; 50-60% of untreated CD patients are asymptomatic! (5)

CD is most commonly misdiagnosed with conditions such as; anemia, irritable bowel syndrome/disease, psychological stress, diarrhea, diabetes, spastic colon, ulcers, viral gastroenteritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, allergies, parasite infection, gall bladder disease, thyroid disease, colitis, and lactose intolerance. Dr. Vijay Kumar, a leading CD researcher, reports that the majority of CD patients had visited 5 or more doctors prior to diagnosis and that it had taken an average of 5 to 10 years, after initial presentation, for CD to be diagnosed.

Part of the problem is that doctors are taught in medical school that one in 5,000 have CD. The reality is more like 1 in 150 and it may be even higher. (6) Arecent report in JAMA, found that the prevalence of CD in 1200 screened children and adolescent patients ranged between 1 in 57 and 1 in 33. (7)

The only treatment available for CD is to remove all forms of gluten from the diet. Glutens are proteins that come from the Plant Kingdom Subclass of monocots and are members of the grass family of wheat, oats, barley, rye and triticale. There are many hidden sources of gluten in our foods. Some of these come in the form of: malt, grain starches, hydrolyzed vegetable/plant proteins, textured vegetable proteins, grain vinegars, soy sauce, brown rice syrup, dextrin, modified food starch, mono and di-glycerides, natural and artificial flavors, grain alcohol, and the binders and fillers sometimes found in vitamins and medications. Also, many people assume that if a product says "wheat free," that it is gluten-free, which is not the case. For example, Kamut and Spelt are wheat free grains but they contain gluten.

Cross contamination is another problem. Sometimes restaurants use the same cooking materials when preparing gluten and non-gluten containing food, which is then mixed into the meal. Or cultivation of the non-gluten containing grains is done in the same fields, factory or equipment as the gluten-containing grains and there is cross-contamination. If these sources are not removed, the intestine cannot heal, and the patient will not know the benefit of a gluten-free diet.
As it happens, coffee also has potent opiate receptor binding activity.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v301/n5897/abs/301246a0.html

Other clues to the real problem that acomplia simply isn't addressing:

A Genetic Difference At The Opiate Receptor Gene Affects A Person's Response To Alcohol
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/12/041220004711.htm

Modulation of post-prandial insulin release by ingested opiate-like substances in dogs
http://www.springerlink.com/content/j5j6734jkg27lh27/

Summary We have previously demonstrated that opiate-like substances in food protein (exorphins), contained in the peptic digest of gluten, stimulate insulin and glucagon release in dogs and that this effect is inhibited by the opiate antagonist naloxone. The present study was designed to evaluate the possible rôle of ingested opiate-like substances in the modulation of post-prandial insulin release. Similarly, the addition of synthetic beta-casomorphins, which are the opioid-active material of bovine casein peptone, elicit a stimulation of post-prandial insulin release during a liver extract-sucrose test meal. The addition of met-enkephalin to a liver extract-sucrose test meal also augmented the post-prandial insulin response. Both stimulatory effects were reversed by oral naloxone, as was the post-prandial increase of insulin following ingestion of bovine casein peptone (casopeptone). The post-prandial insulin response to digested and undigested liver extract was not affected by naloxone, suggesting that the foregoing effects are likely to be specific to opiate-like materials contained in foodstuff (exorphins). In view of previous findings, the present data are compatible with a role of opiate-like substances contained in ingested nutrients in the regulation of post-prandial insulin secretion.
It should also be noted that MSG - monosodium glutamate - is in the "gluten" family.

Back
Top Bottom