Aaahmazing Goodness Chicken Stewp

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
My girlfriend (kujo) and I came up with this recipe a while back when we were both sick for the weekend. It's named "stewp" 'cause it's not quite soup, and not quite stew, but it's aaahmazing!

It makes quite a bit, so adjust quantities as needed.

64 oz. chicken broth (organic and MSG free!)
6 small red potatoes, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
3 1/2 cups celery, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
1 cup bulgur wheat (or if gluten free, long grain brown rice)
2 tbsp sorghum or buckwheat flour (or hemp protein powder)
3 chicken breasts, cubed (organic chicken, we get Amish)
3 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp marjoram
1 tbsp rosemary
1 shake (or 1 pinch) cinnamon
2 cups portabella mushrooms, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced

Mix the broth, bulgur (or rice) and sorghum (or buckwheat or hemp protein powder), salt, pepper, marjoram, rosemary and cinnamon together, bring to a boil then turn to low.

Grill or pan-fry the chicken with some olive oil and garlic until cooked. Then add chicken and all vegetables to broth mix, cover and wait one hour.

Add salt and or hot spices (cayenne, etc...) to taste.

Enjoy! :)

That sounds delicious, JonnyRadar! It is also quite a coincidence because I was planning on making a chicken soup today. Pity I can't try your recipe as it is because it has many things in it that are actually bad or a "no no" on a diet: potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms.

chicken, celery, carrots, leeks, a little brown rice, real sea salt, black pepper

simple, tastes pretty good on a cold day, and i think it fits all the parameters though the carrots are a little starchy and maybe maybe there are problems with salt

Keit said:
That sounds delicious, JonnyRadar! It is also quite a coincidence because I was planning on making a chicken soup today. Pity I can't try your recipe as it is because it has many things in it that are actually bad or a "no no" on a diet: potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms.

*grimace* ... I know, I'm just learning about the ultra-simple diet (within the last couple weeks) and about the connection between "love" and food. Potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms are four foods I really, really like. Subjective, I know, just sayin' it's a been/is process to let go of some things...

Perhaps I'll try a new version of the recipe without those and see how it is :)

Hi JonnyRadar,

Your recipe for chicken stewp really does sound delicious! It's tempting to give it a go. :)

About the mushrooms - In the 'Candida - the Silent Epidemic' thread, there is mention of the shiitake mushroom having antimicrobial properties and actually being a help in fighting candida. I remember that Spyraal (?) had quite a bit to say about the benefits of mushrooms in one of the Diet threads; sorry, I can't remember whether it was the Candida thread or the Anti-Candida Detox Heavy Metals thread. :-[ So if your local supermarket sells dried shiitake, maybe you could substitute them? Just an idea.

And I seem to remember that tomatoes are ok, too.

Let us know if you and your girlfriend invent another yummy-sounding recipe.

bedower said:
And I seem to remember that tomatoes are ok, too.

They are ok for the most part, it's just that many people are irritated and inflamed when they eat nightshades. You need to eliminate them for a time, say a month or two maybe and then re-introduce them to see if you have any reaction. I think Type O handle nightshades better than other blood types too.

[quote author=Heimdallr yesterday] They are ok for the most part, it's just that many people are irritated and inflamed when they eat nightshades. You need to eliminate them for a time, say a month or two maybe and then re-introduce them to see if you have any reaction. [/quote]

Thanks for the reminder, heimdallr; I'd forgotten the qualifier. It was the first time to learn in the 'Candida'/'Detox' threads that tomatoes are one of the nightshade plants. :shock:

As Type O myself, I have no problems with tomatoes - I also remember Laura talking about including them in one of her recipes. Hence thinking that they were ok.

Unfortunately, tomatoes are one of the few fruits for which there is no substitute, so leaving them out of a recipe makes a big difference to the finished dish, osit.

I tried this recipe last night (with a few modifications because I didn't have a few of the ingredients) and it turned out really nicely -- thanks JohnnyRadar!

bedower said:
Unfortunately, tomatoes are one of the few fruits for which there is no substitute, so leaving them out of a recipe makes a big difference to the finished dish, osit.

There is Nomato, a vegan, soy-free tomato substitute. I haven't tried it but am thinking about ordering some:

http://www.nomato.com]Nomato is made from vegetables and seasonings. It contains no soy said:
I tried this recipe last night (with a few modifications because I didn't have a few of the ingredients) and it turned out really nicely -- thanks JohnnyRadar!

You're welcome! :)

JonnyRadar said:
There is Nomato, a vegan, soy-free tomato substitute. I haven't tried it but am thinking about ordering some:

[quote author=http://www.nomato.com]Nomato is made from vegetables and seasonings. It contains no soy, dairy, wheat, gluten, nuts and of course no tomatoes!

So, it may contain nightshades in some of the "seasonings", but it seems worth ordering a bottle to try out. [/quote]

Check into those 'seasonings' - that is usually a code word for MSG, that and 'spices'.

If you can't check out each and every ingredient, don't ingest it.

anart said:
Check into those 'seasonings' - that is usually a code word for MSG, that and 'spices'.

If you can't check out each and every ingredient, don't ingest it.

I sent them an email and asked if they could send me an ingredients list. If they do, I'll report back...

bedower said:
About the mushrooms - In the 'Candida - the Silent Epidemic' thread, there is mention of the shiitake mushroom having antimicrobial properties and actually being a help in fighting candida. I remember that Spyraal (?) had quite a bit to say about the benefits of mushrooms in one of the Diet threads; sorry, I can't remember whether it was the Candida thread or the Anti-Candida Detox Heavy Metals thread. :-[ So if your local supermarket sells dried shiitake, maybe you could substitute them? Just an idea.

There is this message by Zlyja in the Candida - The Silent Epidemic thread that mentions the anti-candida properties of shiitake.

Hi, Belibaste,

No, that wasn't the one I remember. A search using 'mushrooms' brought up quite a few hits, but not the one I was looking for. It was definitely a forumite defending mushrooms because they had studied them for a few years. Looks like I'll have to re-read all the relevant threads to find that quote! Thanks anyway. :)

'Learning is fun!'

;D

Back
Top Bottom