A young David Crosby's take on the assassination of JFK.

cholas

Dagobah Resident
This footage was taken while with the Byrds, I'm guessing circa 1967. Dedicated to JFK. Very telling and a bit of a flip-side to Dave McGowen's Laurel Canyon articles in which he mentions Crosby numerous times. Well worth a gander imo.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=noswW9LtXGU

Edit: Monterey Pop Festival

For those of us who don't have the bandwidth to download videos, could you synopsize what is said?

In between songs David Crosby says this:

"Though they're shooting this for television, I'm sure they'll edit this out...I wanna say it anyway, though they will edit it out: The president Kennedy was killed...he was not killed by one man. He was shot from a number of different directions - by different guns. The story has been suppressed, witnesses has been killed, and this is your country....ladies and gentlemen."
Then they start playing the song "He Was a Friend of Mine"

He Was a Friend of Mine is a traditional folk song in which the singer laments the death of a friend.

It has been recorded by Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Dave Van Ronk, Bobby Bare, Mercury Rev, The Mitchell Trio, Willie Nelson, Nanci Griffith and Cat Power. The version recorded by Willie Nelson was used in the film Brokeback Mountain and is credited to Dylan, who arranged an early version of the tune in 1962.[1]

Bobby Bare recorded the song in 1964 in memory of air crash victim Jim Reeves.

In the Byrds' version, John F. Kennedy was the friend whose death was lamented. The melody is changed considerably and Roger McGuinn takes a songwriter's credit.
And the word are as follows:
He was a friend of mine
He was a friend of mine
His killing had no purpose
No reason, or rhyme
He was a friend of mine

He was in Dallas town
He was in Dallas town
Form a sixth floor window
A gunner shot him down
He died in Dallas town

He never knew my name
He never knew my name
Though I never met him
I knew him just the same
Oh, he was a friend of mine
BTW, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are one of my all time favorites.
Glad if I could help ;)

Thankyou Aragorn, very well done. I will follow through with a synopsis next time. Apologies to all

Back
Top Bottom