A warning about aluminum and cooking

Jerry said:
My mother swears by cast iron, and no one is allowed clean it but her.

:)

Yep, my wife appreciates help, but she is also, very, very, very protective of the cast iron items.!.!.!

anart said:
Of course - that's what Dr. Mercola does - he sells things. I've often wondered if that's not the only reason he even got into 'alternative' medicine. I'd be wary of buying anything from him. You can often find the same or better things for a much lower price elsewhere. fwiw.

I think Dr. Mercola is first and foremost a salesman. I did look into his water filter system, which originally claimed to remove all the fluoride. It was back-ordered for quite a long time. When it reappeared on the web-site, there was a disclaimer saying it removed "some of the fluoride". If I had bought one, I'd be smokin' mad.

So yeah...I've never purchased anything from him and will just stick with cast iron & stainless steel for cooking and Reverse Osmosis for water.

Iron, enamel Re: A warning about aluminum and cooking

Checking the manufacturer's web page they don't really say what is inside their enamel.

So a rule of thumb might be, if you cannot be sure, why take a chance? If it chips, maybe what is in the paint could get in your food possibly. A question one might ask is, why take a chance on something that could potentially chip when one could just get the basic cast iron version?

Those are my thoughts so far.

http://www.ronnebybruk.com

CARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENAMELLED CAST IRON.

The classic enamelled cast iron casserole or frying pan is manufactured from a natural material,
with the trade skill gathered through generations of artisans. Cast iron is the best material for
producing cooking pots and pans. Unsurpassed when it comes to the smooth heat distribution in the
material, as to the supreme ability to maintain the right temperature.

Our enamelled pots and pans are made in two versions.

The first is with glossy coloured enamel on both inside and outside. It has strong enamel with an
even and well-sealed surface, and doesn’t need any seasoning before use. This kind of surface
should not be subject to hasty temperature changes, since it’s like a glass surface might crackle in
that case. If, by accident, you happen to cook an enamelled pot dry, put it aside and let it cool off
slowly. Any discolouring or unwanted coating from cooking can be boiled away with a mild
solution made of water and dishwasher powder.

care of iron cookware Re: A warning about aluminum and cooking

Al Today said:
Jerry said:
My mother swears by cast iron, and no one is allowed clean it but her.

:)

Yep, my wife appreciates help, but she is also, very, very, very protective of the cast iron items.!.!.!

Well that is verrry interesting... they are protective and and clean it protectively too. I wonder what they do to clean it?

Here was the instructions this Swedish company has regarding cleaning:

http://www.ronnebybruk.com said:
Caring for your oil seasoned cast iron product.

The new frying pan is already treated with vegetable oil so that you can dispense with
awkward preparation.

Just rinse with warm water and dry off. Then you can place it directly on the cooker ready
for frying.

Cast iron pans with stainless steel handles may be used in the oven. Pans with wooden
handles are not to be used in the oven, since the handle might crackle.

Pans and pots from Ronneby Bruk are suitable for use on any kind of stove, even on ceramic
or induction hobs. A cast iron frying pan or pot keeps its shape and has an excellent surface
which is necessary when cooking food on ceramic tops.

Clean the pan or pot with hot water and clean with dishwashing brush while it is still hot or
merely dry off with kitchen paper.

Use washing-up abrasive only when you have cooked something with a strong taste. Dry off
the pan or pot afterwards. This is done most easily by placing it a moment on the hob, on the
after heat when it has been turned off. If the pan or pot appears to be dry prime it with
cooking oil.

Do not use cast-iron for storing food as it may become rusty and the food itself can become
discoloured.

Leave the lid slightly open when the pot or pan is kept in the cupboard.

If the pan or pot appears to be dry prime it again with cooking oil.

I wonder what they do to clean it?

I’m pretty sure my mother would use water and a mild abrasive if necessary. She didn’t want it to be immersed in the water nor soaped. Then she’d apply a small amount of olive oil.

Jerry said:

I’m pretty sure my mother would use water and a mild abrasive if necessary. She didn’t want it to be immersed in the water nor soaped. Then she’d apply a small amount of olive oil.

Absolutely NO soap. Usually a raw scouring pad and elbow grease.

Al Today said:
Jerry said:

Hmmm, if it's so simple, I wonder why people are so finicky about cleaning it?

Heimdallr said:
Al Today said:
Jerry said:

Hmmm, if it's so simple, I wonder why people are so finicky about cleaning it?

I'd hazard a guess that it's to do with avoiding getting any soapy water on the pan, as it instantly ruins the non-stick ability - ie, you'd need to re-season it! In other words, go through the whole process of removing the 'contaminated' surface and, basically, start from scratch with seasoning the pan.

anart said:
Lilou said:
Dr. Mercola says the only draw back is that it is so heavy. So he researched an alternative and now sells ceremic cookware. It's light weight & purportedly it does not leach any toxins. The sales pitch for his cookware is pretty convincing, but a big drawback on it, is the price!!!

Of course - that's what Dr. Mercola does - he sells things. I've often wondered if that's not the only reason he even got into 'alternative' medicine. I'd be wary of buying anything from him. You can often find the same or better things for a much lower price elsewhere. fwiw.

I not only agree with Anart but I am also wondering if his real name is not Dr Mercantile. :whistle:

cooking in aluminium or cooper?

a question: cooking food in aluminum dishes is dangerous? and discussed for copper frets. Tenkiu

Re: cooking in aluminium or cooper?

Hi ealvizo2012,

If you do a search on the forum for "aluminum cookware" there is a few threads about what cookware is recommended. :) Aluminum is evil!

Hi ealvizo2012,

Here is one thread specifically discussing aluminum and cooking. I'll merge this post. And do the search as Rhiannon said above for more information. :)

Because of the important subject of hemochromatosis perhaps be a good idea to buy a ceremic cookware? (Do not say precisely to Mercola).
Sorry if this question is noise.

ealvizo2012 said:
a question: cooking food in aluminum dishes is dangerous? and discussed for copper frets. Tenkiu

Aluminum is very dangerous. Absolutely never, ever cook using uncoated aluminum cookware.

Both of my parents died from the *same* type of brain cancer due to cooking on an uncoated aluminum electric frying pan. The aluminum pitted and leached into their food. It killed them.

Is There Propane in Your Nonstick Avocado Oil Spray?​

Story at a glance:
  • Most cooking sprays contain an egregious list of ingredients, including dimethyl silicone, an anti-foaming agent that’s also added to paint, textiles and cosmetics
  • Propellants, including nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, n-butane, isobutane and propane, are also added so the oil will spray out of the can
  • Additives aside, cooking sprays are made from vegetable and seed oils, such as corn oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil and canola oil
  • Seed oils are among the most common sources of linoleic acid in the U.S. diet, excessive levels of which may contribute to cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s and other chronic diseases
  • Ditch your toxic cooking sprays in favor of healthier choices; for cooking, excellent substitutions include butter, tallow, ghee and organic coconut oil

Attachments

• propane-avocado-oil-spray-pdf.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom