a small fragment from memory

name

Jedi Master
back in 1998 there had been some more fearmongering than usual, and the US embassy got the city to block the street where they are located (google maps: http_colon_//tinyurl_dot_com_slash_y5jjyr - the light building in the center), which had until then been a relatively popular detour for car drivers coming from the city center.

i remember this because the move caused some public discussion as it was not clear why they would want to do such an exaggerated thing in a country with no mentionable record of political violence. i also remember this because it was during the time (1996-2000) when i used to read military doctrine material (vulgo army manuals) which can be found at sites like globalsecurity-dot-org.

blocking the street was a move originated in heightened need for operational security according to how i understood what i had been reading. security needs originate in a security posture which is adopted to preempt a perceived threat to ongoing operations or because the threat level has gone up. the threat needs not be 'possible' or 'inminent', it just beeds to be 'perceived' .

there had been some more fearmongering than usual aroung the theme of "terror", and then came the twin bombings in tanzania and kenya.

don't know if it is significant, or even if my memory re the timing of these events is correct. it is how i remember it, and it has kept coming back. so i thought i'd write this fragment from memory down just in case somebody else has use for it.

Back
Top Bottom