A happy accident = soup

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Last night, I came to make the lunch recipe I gave here, but found I only had half a cup of wild rice left. So I thought I'd make up the rest by adding half a cup of buckwheat, and thought the result would be similar - no liquid left in the slow-cooker, just the mix of ingredients.

But when I lifted the lid this morning, I found that there was a lot of liquid left, and that because of the "gloopy" properties (for lack of a better word) of buckwheat, the liquid was a really nice, soupy consistency. And a popular ingredient added to soups in Britain is pearl barley, and the buckwheat in the soup is very similar to that!

So try adding some buckwheat to stews to thicken them and to give them a little bit of something extra.

T.C. said:
So try adding some buckwheat to stews to thicken them and to give them a little bit of something extra.

Adding either buckwheat flour or buckwheat flakes (my preference) is a great way to thicken a thin soup. :)

Yeah, I bought the buckwheat flakes after your personal recommendation, and I tried the "Trevrizent Breakfast". Quick, easy and satisfying :). Last night, I added some to a stew I'd made the other day when reheating and that worked well too.

What I was surprised at with this soup was that I'd just used normal buckwheat, rather than flour or flakes, and got an unexpected, yummy result.

:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom