4 spice chocolate buckwheat bread

Rapadura is also sugar, so its best to go easy on it as well. Xylitol and stevia are a different story.

More of the same info here: http://www.health-matrix.net/blog/in-the-news/97-sugar-shock-why-less-sugar-will-make-you-much-sweeter

"Our bodies are simply not made to process the high quantities of the types of sugar that we consume nowadays.

Sugar is in no way nutritional and it actually depletes the body of its vitamin and mineral resources. High sugar consumption is tied to mental disorders, lower IQ, anxiety, aggressive behavior, hyperactivity, depression, eating disorders, fatigue, learning difficulties, and premenstrual syndrome among others.

One of the most important factors in brain aging and inflammation is sugar. Insulin triggered by sugar triggers oxidative stress which leads to mitochondrial damage, which in turn contributes to insulin resistance. Insulin also triggers the inflammatory cascade, including cytokines like TNF alfa and interleukins which spreads the damage into the brain and body in general.

Sugar produces high levels of insulin which is the main cause of our chronic disease epidemic and an important factor in mood disorders and dementia. Our insulin response is designed to handle vastly lower levels of sugar than what we consume today. For example, the body can process fruit sugar, but not high fructose corn syrup, which is a potent form of sugar that is sweeter than regular sugar, increases appetite, promotes obesity more than regular sugar, is more addictive than cocaine, and leads to diabetes and an inflammation of the brain.

The sugar and processed food you eat triggers stress hormones - cortisol and adrenaline - which creates an imbalance in your brain.

Sugar reacts with proteins in our bodies and brains forming AGEs (advanced glycation end products) which not only damage most cells and tissues in our bodies, but also lead to dementia.

Sugar and processed foods also feed the candida in your gut, making you a sugar addict and perpetuating the inflammatory state of our bodies, and thus leading to all kinds of health problems.

Another reason why people get addicted to refined carbohydrates or sugars is to boost serotonin levels - a calming brain chemical - which then rises temporarily, only to crash after a short while, causing you to crave more starchy or sugary foods. Sugar creates an imbalance, depleting your serotonin levels after a short spike, leading to mood swings.

So let's admit it, our bodies are unable to process the levels of sugar that we find today in a modern diet."

Here is some info about xylitol: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

And here some info about stevia: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=11704.msg130306#msg130306

http://www.herbs.org/herbnews/2009/11/30/stevioside-and-related-compounds-therapeutic-benefits-beyond-sweetness/

Stevioside and related compounds: therapeutic benefits beyond sweetness.

by Teresa Koby

The following review states the added medicinal benefits of stevia, beyond its usefulness as a safe sweetener.

Stevioside, an abundant component of Stevia rebaudiana leaf, has become well-known for its intense sweetness (250-300 times sweeter than sucrose) and is used as a non-caloric sweetener in several countries. A number of studies have suggested that, beside sweetness, stevioside along with related compounds, which include rebaudioside A (second most abundant component of S. rebaudiana leaf), steviol and isosteviol (metabolic components of stevioside) may also offer therapeutic benefits, as they have anti-hyperglycemic, anti-hypertensive, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-diarrheal, diuretic, and immunomodulatory actions. It is of interest to note that their effects on plasma glucose level and blood pressure are only observed when these parameters are higher than normal. As steviol can interact with drug transporters, its role as a drug modulator is proposed. This review summarizes the current knowledge of the pharmacological actions, therapeutic applications, pharmacokinetics and safety of stevioside and related compounds. Although much progress has been made concerning their biological and pharmacological effects, questions regarding chemical purity and safety remain unsolved. These issues are discussed to help guide future research directions.

I made this bread on Sunday. It turned out nice and I left it in longer than 20 minutes because it was still moist in the center. I think I added too much cloves because it was spicy. I could have added twice as much chocolate next time and some more baking powder to make it rise more. But it was faster than the date bread because I didn't have to take out date seeds and chop them up.

But it was faster than the date bread because I didn't have to take out date seeds and chop them up.

i have yet to try the date bread...too lazy to go get dates for it. :P

That's one of the things i like...it doesn't take too long to make it.

abstract said:

You can actually try a variation which uses something other than dates -- I've been using bananas for the past couple of times I made this, and it makes really nice banana bread for example.

Shijing said:
abstract said:

You can actually try a variation which uses something other than dates -- I've been using bananas for the past couple of times I made this, and it makes really nice banana bread for example.

How many bananas do you use? I don't really care for dates myself. :D

Mrs. Peel said:
How many bananas do you use? I don't really care for dates myself. :D

I used 3 the first time and 4 last night -- with 4, the bread ended up being pretty moist (which I really like), so you can probably control that to your preference with the number that you put in. Good luck :)

I baked this bread today (first time baking stuff for me) and was surprised it tasted pretty good! :lol:

Thanks for the simple recipe abstract. I am finally going wheat free and this bread is a great way to start.

Laurentien said:
Thank abstract for the recipe, I will bake it tonight.

I use four spices mix which contain cinnamon, all spices, nutmeg and clove and it was delicious. Thank again for the recipe Abstract.

Laurentien said:
Laurentien said:

I use four spices mix which contain cinnamon, all spices, nutmeg and clove and it was delicious. Thank again for the recipe Abstract.

Hi Laurentien, just in case, if you mean 'All Spice' by 'all spices' - then that contains MSG, so it's really important to not use that.

anart said:
Laurentien said:
Laurentien said:

Hi Laurentien, just in case, if you mean 'All Spice' by 'all spices' - then that contains MSG, so it's really important to not use that.

Sorry I mean allspice, piment de la jamaique in French, my error.

Thanks abstract for the yummi recipe.
I made my chocolate bread 3 times already :D

I use cocoa powder, water and xylitol. I added to much cloves and cocoa to the first one, so i dryed it and then grinded it to powder. Now i add chocolate-cloves powder to pancakes when i crave chocolate :P.
The second buch was very good, and i added vanilla to the third - also very good. When i baked it in muffins baking tin they were ready in 25-35 minutes (180-200 degrees celsius). In bread baking tin it was about 1,5 h ( 180-200 deg C also).

The second buch was very good, and i added vanilla to the third - also very good. When i baked it in muffins baking tin they were ready in 25-35 minutes (180-200 degrees celsius). In bread baking tin it was about 1,5 h ( 180-200 deg C also).

Ah, nice, a lil' variety! :)

abstract, I made some muffins last night based on your recipe and they were delicious! I used Stevia for sweetener and Coconut Milk, which also has some sweetness to it. I found that gradually adding Cocoa powder was able to balance out the taste of the cloves, nutmeg and ginger.

Great work, thanks for the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom