New Forum layout April 2018

Hello all!

Just wanted to say congratulations on the new look! Good call Scottie, I really like the change.
A little digital spring cleaning is just what the Dr. ordered!

According to J Peterson 10% of the workers in an organization do 90% of the work. And when an organization starts going downhill, those 10% leave. Eventually those who are left don't want to do any work, and the work they do is usually not good enough. But since they essentially own the organization now they have their egos at stake and they want to take credit for it. I wouldn't be surprised if SMF went this way.

According to J Peterson 10% of the workers in an organization do 90% of the work. And when an organization starts going downhill, those 10% leave. Eventually those who are left don't want to do any work, and the work they do is usually not good enough. But since they essentially own the organization now they have their egos at stake and they want to take credit for it. I wouldn't be surprised if SMF went this way.

Probably, although I think the Original Dude who started it is still there, but everyone is arguing with him and vice versa.

Also interesting to note (if I remember correctly) is that XenForo was started by vBulletin developers. Basically, vB was awesome due to 2 primary developers. vB was then bought out or something, they left and started XenForo, and vB went to pot.

You can tell these guys are pretty good because the code is insanely well organized (which also means, unfortunately, that without documentation, it's nearly impossible to even write an add-on).

I had to write my own add-on to make old media embeds from the old forum work in this one... I literally had to put bits and pieces of code examples from their support forum together and just play with it until I made it work. I still don't quite understand how I managed it.

But like I said, that should change in time. It just means that for now, customizations of this forum are pretty much not gonna happen.

About posts per page: it's set to 15 like the old forum default. It's not customizable per user, mostly due to "pretty URLs".

As for post excerpts on listing pages, that's set to the default of 140 characters. The max is 240, which actually looks worse and doesn't give you much more info anyway.

For the most part, all of these things are stuff I already compared to the old forum in an attempt to make it as close as possible to The Old Way. But a lot of it is just restricted and/or done differently.

Thank you pals (I don't know yet how to quote in this new interface :-[ ) for the advises of how to use a dictionnary. I am really bad with computers but I will try! Thank you.

Thank you pals (I don't know yet how to quote in this new interface :-[ ) for the advises of how to use a dictionnary. I am really bad with computers but I will try! Thank you.

There are two ways:

If you want to quote the entire post, you can click on +Quote in right/lower corner of the post (between Like and Reply). You will see a message saying "Message added to multi-quote" pop out for a few seconds. When you click on "Reply", you will see next to Attach files, a button "Insert quotes..." below your post. It will give you a new window where you can selsct all the quotes you have added in order to insert them into your post.

If you want to quote only a part of a post, you can highlight (select) the text and it will give you the option of quoting it. Then you click Insert quotes to insert that portion of the text. For example:

selectquote.png

gives:

(I don't know yet how to quote in this new interface :-[ )

Hope it helps. One can experiment a little and after the first success, it becomes obvious.

Wow, thank you for the good work! The new forum looks great and seems to be a good deal faster than the old forum (or am I just imagining that?) Well done!

There are two ways:

If you want to quote the entire post, you can click on +Quote in right/lower corner of the post (between Like and Reply). You will see a message saying "Message added to multi-quote" pop out for a few seconds. When you click on "Reply", you will see next to Attach files, a button "Insert quotes..." below your post. It will give you a new window where you can selsct all the quotes you have added in order to insert them into your post.

If you want to quote only a part of a post, you can highlight (select) the text and it will give you the option of quoting it. Then you click Insert quotes to insert that portion of the text. For example:

Hope it helps. One can experiment a little and after the first success, it becomes obvious.

Thank you! I was afraid to insert multi quotes, something to do about what I read by Beau to someone else, thought it was about it. It is fun to learn with all of you, by the way!

Thank you! I was afraid to insert multi quotes, something to do about what I read by Beau to someone else, thought it was about it. It is fun to learn with all of you, by the way!
It was about something different :-)

And Finally...

It seems we simply must have some more themes... Altho at this point, I cannot give a time frame.

Once the forum is stable, my next Big Project is a help system for SOTT editors. No one can ever remember all the things it can do because it simply does too much! I have a solution for that...

Probably intermixed with that project, I'll crank out some themes when my brain needs a rest...

Excellent Scottie!!! There's no rush. It's looks great how it is now.

Now that I've been using this new platform I must say that I love it! I particularly like how the interface brought the live inside the forum to view. It's great to see all the activities because it gives a feeling of all that's happening around here all the time. Amazing! I don't know if it's just me but it gives a different feeling of aliveness and interpersonal communication.

So, thanks again for all the great work!!! :thup:

Wow! What a difference this makes. While I usually have some reluctance to changes in what I've become accustomed to, and admit to feeling a bit of a loss right now realizing my numerous drafts are most likely "gonzarooni" (?), the effort and technical expertise that apparently went into updating the forum is remarkable and loudly applauded. I never mastered all the features of the old forum so some of the complaints about changes are news(Greek) to me.

BTW, spellchecker worked for me.

Thank you for all your hard work on this HUGE project, Scottie.

Back
Top Bottom