New Forum layout April 2018

Wow Scottie! Congratulations; that is a lot of work. :cool:

So, now begining the test drive with a new forum dashboard to get used to; learning is fun and there is lots to learn.

I just really love the new forum and thanks for the great work, Scottie :rockon:. It is very fluid and fast imo.

Regarding the color, I would vote for green and just for a darker background as well.

Something that seems to be showing in my page is the scroll bars moving, it doesn't affect the screen or when I move through the page or nothing , it is just the scroll bars moving.

Wait, can you buy emojis or colors and things with the points you earn? I know there is something to the points :-P

I checked that thread and it looks messy.
Cassiopaean Session Transcripts by date
I searched a little to the internet and the problem is probably because the new XenForo forum does not have build in support for tables.
There are free add-ons that can be installed so the forum can support tables.
here is one link
-https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20558172/table-bbcode-with-xenforo
Scottie knows that the best.
He can probably fix that when he will have some time.
That's for XenForo 1.x. We're using 2.0, which is so new that very few add-ons are available. There is also basically 0 documentation at the moment - except for the basics of setting up a new forum.

I imagine this will change as time goes on. Then again, losing table support isn't that bad given how painful it is to work with them in BBcode.

Part of the problem is that HTML tables are strongly poo-pooed in HTML5, so they're kind of on their way out the door.

So, maybe the solution for the transcript tables is to do them some other way? Not sure how yet, tho! :huh:

Tried importing the transcript table into Google Spreadsheet but keep getting an error that says, 'Content is Empty'! :huh: Still trying to figure it out. Post here if you know how fix the issue. Thanks.

Searched and scanned through again; was there mention of old drafts? I see how you can save them (icon second to the right) and tried a test, yet not sure how to retrieve same or older ones.

I just saw Aladdin so I hear the song lyrics "a whole new world".

I think the memory of the old forum is gone, so old drafts and where you left off reading in a thread are probably gone too.

I fear change!! Lol :wow: No doubt been a mare transferring all the data. Just getting used to the new layout and It looks good. Will take me some time to learn to use it but thanks for all the hard work! :-)

I don't understand why this change was necessary for the knowledge transfer?

What I see here is the easiest options to share on social networks? Do we want that?

I can't see my bookmarks any more? ... :( ... I hope they are not gone?

maybe members section now is more "social" ... you can feel more real people behind their "avatars" ... but do we need that?

all to all another time-consuming activity to get to know new interface instead of reading some inspiring thoughts ...

It will be very helpful if you can put on the front page highlighted new features that are important for new use of the forum and that will help us to share and learn better. Thank you.

Tried importing the transcript table into Google Spreadsheet but keep getting an error that says, 'Content is Empty'! :huh: Still trying to figure it out. Post here if you know how fix the issue. Thanks.

I don't know how to fix that, but if we need to copy/paste the transcript threads' links one by one to a Google doc spreadsheet I'll put my hand up to do that.

all to all another time-consuming activity to get to know new interface instead of reading some inspiring thoughts ...

Or, a great opportunity to leave our comfort zones and learn something new - delayed gratification ;-). Because, as experience shows, once you get the hang of something new and learn how to use it effectively, everything will be better than it used to be. We just have to make the initial effort.

It will be very helpful if you can put on the front page highlighted new features that are important for new use of the forum and that will help us to share and learn better. Thank you.

Or, you could follow this thread and learn and share with all of us. Knowledge transfer and all that ;-)

The Edit option is available for 10 minutes after posting. You can try to save a draft if the post is long and necessitates lots of corrections.

I just noticed that the 'edit' button is still active in a post I wrote here a month ago. I attached a screenshot, the button is right in the bottom left corner. I clicked on it and it was possible for me to edit the post.

It looks like I can still edit posts I wrote in the public section of the forum - but not the private one.

I was wondering if this is intentional? I actually like the idea of being able to edit posts indefinitely but doesn't that open the door to perception management?

Not to mention that conversations do get heated at times and there is a learning value in members being able to review those conversations later. Personally I learned a lot from 'mirror' type exchanges as well as conversations that led to members being blocked. I came across many of them even before I wrote my first post here and it did send a clear message about what the code of conduct here is. If we are allowed to edit posts indefinitely then this makes it possible for members who took part in such exchanges to remove the content of their messages later.

Just a thought. If this is in fact intentional then I guess there is a reason why you designed it that way. I just haven't figured that reason out ;-)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.45.22.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 09.45.22.png
    438 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The solution was to change the post link convention and then things started working better. I find that preferable to having to click the next page link 20 times to get through a short thread, especially if most of the posts are one-liners.

I guess there's no turning back, but it seems hardcoding the posts per page is not the best solution to this problem.

I didn't know that you could increase the number of posts per page using the previous software, but it does seem like it would have been a good thing to have.

Hopefully, with the new Like feature, we will be able to cut down on the number of one-liners, as most of them do tend to be some form of acknowledgement of the original posters point or idea. Still, some threads are primarily social in nature, thus one-liners in these cases are a "fact of life", so to speak!

What I see here is the easiest options to share on social networks? Do we want that?

I can't see my bookmarks any more? ... :( ... I hope they are not gone?

maybe members section now is more "social" ... you can feel more real people behind their "avatars" ... but do we need that?

solarmind,

Can you give me an example of a bookmark you are having trouble with? I'll try to find a work-around for it. I am still getting used to the new software too but I think it still has most of the same features of the old software and maybe new features we haven't even explored yet.

To me it does have some interesting features and a brighter look. I think many of us are reluctant to change and I am too sometimes. I haven't tried any of the social sharing but I suppose for those who are on some of those sites it could expand our reach.

I don't get my animated gif avatar working. Tried uploading it again under a different name, and also with size 400x400px. It shows as animated in the avatar upload popup window but only as a static image anywhere else. Maybe it gets converted to non-gif by the cache or something like that? Or animated gif as avatars might be disabled deliberately, because they can also be quite distracting?
But I understand if you have better things to do than to make my avatar go play :-[

Back
Top Bottom