Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I've been taking Lugols 15% (I went for that percentage after finding a good source on ebay) and am currently at 5 drops in the morning after breakfast (with selenium). I have a warm salt (1/2 tsp) and lemon water with potassium (2 x caps) and 12 milk thistle caps, followed by a pint of cold water when I get up. When I get home in the evening, I have my Vit C, Nac and ALA. [added: I take my magnesium, along with my l glutamine, l carnitine and colostrum at night, before bed]

I'm taking this dosage for the many general, important benefits, and primarily to detox from halides and heavy metals. I had my only mercury filling removed around June/July.

The first symptoms I experienced when I started were dizziness when sitting up in bed in the morning or laying down in bed at night. Then I've been having a few strange dreams. I felt a little self-pity-ish last night. Have had the runny nose and mildly sore eyes, but the salt, C etc. have minimised any other side effects. I haven't had headache or metallic taste. The worse thing for me is the hunger. I did a 24hr fast yesterday because I'd had an extra meal late Wednesday night. Oh, I did develop a cold-sore, but I think that was due to eating chocolate and macadamia nuts one day.

One thing that has happened though, which I'd like people's take on. Is it at all possible that 'activating critters' might actually start off the symptoms of arthritis? I've had a lump come up on the knuckle of one of my fingers. At first, I thought something had bitten me in the night, but it has remained for a week and is painful to the touch or if I knock it on something.

I've looked it up and it looks very much like what they call a Bouchards Node. I'll upload a couple of pics. When it came up on the first day and I thought it was a bite, I put a drop of lugols on in the morning and at night and then another drop the next morning. I haven't put any iodine on since then because the discolouration was a bit awkward in social/work situations.

As you can see, the knuckle looks discoloured still. I had assumed it was just stained from the iodine, so yesterday I did an iodine patch-test - not to see if I'm deficient as I know it's not a reliable test for that - just to see how long it would take for the patch to disappear. It had gone within 24hrs, so I'm starting to think if any of the colouring of the knuckle is remaining from the iodine (due to the skin being a lot thicker), it's maybe less than 20% of the colour.

I have had bad back, knees and hips throughout my life, though these have been much better since changing my diet.

Could it all be related? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_205241176.jpg
    IMG_20151204_205241176.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20151204_205246622.jpg
    IMG_20151204_205246622.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 386
Andre' said:
Daily I'm drinking a cup or 2 of tea and a cup of coffee.

I might be mistaken but I think you would need much more then that to interfere with iodine or to cause adrenal fatigue.

There are many people who drink coffee in liters throughout the day, I think that information mostly refers to them. One cup per day should be pretty safe, especially if you eat properly and dont consume a lot of sugar or soda. OSIT

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the additional information :flowers:

I enjoyed reading Brownstein's book, very interesting and crucial information. I noticed that Brownstein mentions in passing (p.163): "Both vitamin E and vitamin A have both been shown in studies to improve fibrocystic breasts". I knew about vitamin E, but I didn't know that about vitamin A, so I did a search and found this in case it might help:

Vitamin A

Vitamin A has been only minimally studied for fibrocystic breasts. However, there are retinoid receptors in breast tissue, which can modulate breast changes. In a study of 12 women with fibrocystic breast disease, women were given 150,000 IU of vitamin A daily for 3 months. Five of the 9 patients who completed the study had full or partial remission of their FBD. However some patients developed mild side effects, leading 2 of the original 12 to withdraw because of headaches, and 1 patient required a reduction in dosage. Beta-carotene would appear to be a more appropriate source of retinol owing to its greatly decreased toxicity and similar activity in ovarian and inflammatory disorders. Nonetheless, some women will need supplemental vitamin A as a significant portion of the population has genomic variations that impair the conversion of beta-carotene to vitamin A.

Source

I did a test-run with 4 drops of Lugol (12%) plus 1 potassium iodide capsule ('130 mg potassium complex'), I also drank salt water, took B complex, selenium, NAC. First thing I noticed was that the headache I was having cleared up about 70%. Of the symptoms Laura posted here, I checked:

Dream changes (I had vivid dreams that night)
Sweating (Sweat a lot during the night)

I also noticed a slight improved mental clarity. Next day I decided to up the dose to 6 drops of Lugol (12%) plus 1 potassium iodide capsule.
No dream changes or sweating this time. Nothing out of the ordinary, except for more toilet visits (as others also experienced). One thing I did notice however, is that my energy levels are higher.

Next day at some point in the evening, I got really depressed and it continued until the next day. I decided to fast in the morning and just had a cup of water with salt and kept my mind busy by cleaning. I ate in the afternoon and took my iodine dose (along with B complex, selenium, NAC). I also took MCT oil, lauricidin, krill oil, glycine, vit C, and magnesium that day and my mind started to clear up a bit. I think it was especially when I took magnesium, that I started to feel better. It's difficult to say whether it was due to the iodine, but the symptoms posted by Laura do mention 'Emotional Instability and Depression'.

After my iodine dose today, my energy levels went up again. I've had no symptoms out of the ordinary today.

Since I have to work most days in the week, it's difficult for me to take a second dose before 4 pm. So I've only managed to do it once a day. I don't think my virus is active at the moment, so I'm not sure if I should do the nuking. Maybe I should continue with the 6 drops and 1x 130 mg potassium iodide and see how things go.

Well I took two drops of J Crow 2% today in the evening and I certainly felt something to say the least! With in about 20 mins I had a sense of calm come over me(anxiety/heart palpitations noticeably decreased and had a small surge in energy, was pleasant. But I think its to early but still encouraging results, I will add co factors tomorrow.

One question I had was, should one still continue to supplement with regular potassium if one is doing low carb and one is taking lugols because it has potassium in it? Maybe cut down on it, I usually take 3 99mg pills a day of potassium cit.

I realized that Amazon's Potassium iodide, high purity crystals 100 grams is for lab or scientific use only, not for food or drug use.
So I have to look for other place for better product that use for food and drug.

Kay Kim said:
I realized that Amazon's Potassium iodide, high purity crystals 100 grams is for lab or scientific use only, not for food or drug use.
So I have to look for other place for better product that use for food and drug.
You do not seem to understand "legal language". Pure and safe chemicals may be labeled "not for food or drug use" because the seller/manufacturer does not want the legal liability. For example, just TRY to buy DMSO for human use! You will fail! ALL DMSO has warnings against human use! DMSO is only sold as a "solvent", even the DMSO sold as a cream and in a roller ball dispenser.

Even if your KI crystals have some percent of sodium or other trace impurities, you still get the important effects of getting iodide. Why would someone get so concerned about trivial stuff?

Have been on amazing Iodine for 1 +week now, and in the midst of reading Brownstein - and i must say it has been a life changing experience :)!

I have the Health Leads 12% lugol solution, which mentions that 1 metric drop contains in total 5.5mg of elemental Iodine. The first day (27th Nov), while at work, i took 5 drops after lunch; and immediately felt very light headed; but at the same time calm, and sort of "curtain" of clarity" suddenly descended on me. 1 hour later i took the first glass of saltwater and lightheaded-ness cleared, and i was amazed at how clear my thoughts were, my fatigue from the work travels disappeared and my will was enhanced. From being tired, and pondering how to get off work early. I suddenly finished all my work, and had energy for many other things ! Even manage to do gym exercises feeling more energetic without the usual muscle fatigue and tiredness.

The next 3 days i had 2 doses of 5 drops each (with saltwater & Cofactors B complex NAC, ALA, Vitamin C ad 200mcg Selenium , and Magnesium), and similarly my energy levels and mental clarity was amazing. I had never felt this "good" in close to 10 years. Further all bodily functions were operating like clockwork. I slept within 5 minutes, woke up earlier than usual after 7 hours sleep (something i have not done in a while) feeling fresh and refreshed, morning toilet routines were on time and regular - all in all was just feeling like a well oiled machine.

However the same energy boost also activated my eczema back again, and it started appearing on my hands. This critter that has been with me for the last 7 years, and kept at bay by the dietary changes now had also come back with a vengeance on the Iodine energy. I then decided to increase the dosage to nuke it, and went the next day to 2 doses of 8 drops (close to 90mg of Iodine per day) - while the eczema immediately stopped and the skin rashes started to heal, the detox reactions began. Runny nose and lots of phlegm; some mild headaches, sore eyes, lots of urine, metallic taste in saliva, liquid stool in the mornings - and similarly i had the urge to eat more chocolate as well. Also felt like smoking a lot more. The detox reactions though very discomforting i think are manageable. I still have this amazing feeling of being energised, and increase in will-power and mental clarity that has just has been stunning. I think this is what "magic" must feel like :)

Its been the 3 days now in the increased dose, and the eczema is gone. Will be at it for 1 more day before going back to 5 drops (2 doses) or 50mg of Iodine for the day. The salt water in the morning's taste good too, and i never imagined i would say that ! Only drawback is that I'm only using B complex with 50mg of B1 and B3 in the tablets. Im still waiting for the delivery of the specific B1 and B3 supplements with the recommended doses.

All in all, just feel like a new person now.

Mr.Cyan said:
Its been the 3 days now in the increased dose, and the eczema is gone. Will be at it for 1 more day before going back to 5 drops (2 doses) or 50mg of Iodine for the day. The salt water in the morning's taste good too, and i never imagined i would say that ! Only drawback is that I'm only using B complex with 50mg of B1 and B3 in the tablets. Im still waiting for the delivery of the specific B1 and B3 supplements with the recommended doses.

Just a note, Mr. Cyan: it's B2 you want as a cofactor for the protocol (riboflavin), not B1.

dugdeep said:
Mr.Cyan said:

Just a note, Mr. Cyan: it's B2 you want as a cofactor for the protocol (riboflavin), not B1.

Thanks dugdeep, my mistake and it was a typo, i meant B2

T.C. said:
One thing that has happened though, which I'd like people's take on. Is it at all possible that 'activating critters' might actually start off the symptoms of arthritis? I've had a lump come up on the knuckle of one of my fingers. At first, I thought something had bitten me in the night, but it has remained for a week and is painful to the touch or if I knock it on something.

I've looked it up and it looks very much like what they call a Bouchards Node. I'll upload a couple of pics. When it came up on the first day and I thought it was a bite, I put a drop of lugols on in the morning and at night and then another drop the next morning. I haven't put any iodine on since then because the discolouration was a bit awkward in social/work situations.

A Bouchard's node usually develops over a long period of time, after chronic inflammation in the joint.

I think in your case, it might be related to detox reactions. The lesion does resemble some of the bromoderma lesions some people get. Lesions like that usually don't develop with die-off from bugs under other protocols. That makes me think it is related to bromide or any other toxic mobilized by the iodine.

Strange!

Laura said:
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/potassium-iodide.html

Here they tell you the dosage for KI for respiratory things:
http://www.drugs.com/monograph/potassium-iodide.html

Oral Administration

Administer orally.b To minimize GI irritation, administer after meals and at bedtime with food or milk.a b

Administer saturated (1-g/mL) oral solution in a large quantity (240 mL) of water, fruit juice, milk, formula, or broth.a b Administer 65-mg/mL oral solution undiluted using the dropper provided by the manufacturer.b Dilute strong iodine solution with water or juice.

They don't say how much.

Here's another going in a similar direction: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21441383

[...]

Then there's this:
http://www.robholland.com/Nursing/Drug_Guide/data/monographframes/P064.html

Expectorant
Adult: PO 300–650 mg p.c. b.i.d. or t.i.d.
Child: PO 60–250 mg p.c. b.i.d. or t.i.d.

Here:

http://reference.medscape.com/drug/pima-syrup-sski-potassium-iodide-343399
SSKI: 300-600 mg PO q6-8hr
[...]

The expectorant SSKI doses used are definitely much higher than what most people take for normal supplementing purposes and the same expectorant doses above does seem to be the recommended ones across the board:

From _http://www.drugs.com/monograph/potassium-iodide.html

Cough
Oral
Children: Usually, 60–250 mg 4 times daily

Adults
Cough
Oral
Usually, 300–650 mg 3 or 4 times daily

Gaby said:
The expectorant SSKI doses used are definitely much higher than what most people take for normal supplementing purposes and the same expectorant doses above does seem to be the recommended ones across the board:

Yeah, sure is. Which suggests that it is probably pretty safe.

What strikes me as interesting is how so many people seem to get phlegm and cough and lung issues from taking lower doses of iodoral or lugols, while the KI is prescribed for just such conditions. Apparently, according to Brownstein, a lot of tissues prefer the KI to the iodine. We started with KI while waiting for the lugol's and it seemed pretty beneficial overall. The serious die-off effects, tiredness, etc, really only started with the lugol's. So I wonder what's up with that?

We have added a tyrosine mixture (Now thryroid support) and it seems to be helping with the effects.

AD said:
One question I had was, should one still continue to supplement with regular potassium if one is doing low carb and one is taking lugols because it has potassium in it? Maybe cut down on it, I usually take 3 99mg pills a day of potassium cit.

The potassium you'll get from lugol is minimal. So if you get any cramps or other symptoms from low potassium, you'll know you can keep up your regular dose of potassium tablets :)

Laura said:
What strikes me as interesting is how so many people seem to get phlegm and cough and lung issues from taking lower doses of iodoral or lugols, while the KI is prescribed for just such conditions. Apparently, according to Brownstein, a lot of tissues prefer the KI to the iodine. We started with KI while waiting for the lugol's and it seemed pretty beneficial overall. The serious die-off effects, tiredness, etc, really only started with the lugol's. So I wonder what's up with that?

We have added a tyrosine mixture (Now thryroid support) and it seems to be helping with the effects.

I have KI in addition to lugol, but only experimented with lugol so far. It seems I have found a dose that works for me and my lifestyle: 3mg-18mg of iodine in pulsed therapy. But in previous days and with some doses (6mg/day), I did got mild cold-like symptoms.

I have some time off from my daily job coming up, so that will be a good time to experiment with the KI for any possible viral infection.

Back
Top Bottom