Marvel's X-Men '97 series

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Is anyone going to shell out 2 or 3 months of a Disney plus subscription to watch this? I stopped mine after Ahsoka, then came the recent Disney boycott. But X-Men was part of my childhood (along with Saturday morning cartoons in general). I was a little young for the themes, but liked the superhero part, and was more into the Spider-Man series.

Some are critical of the woke push where one shapeshifter character Morph was listed as non-binary. But wouldn't any such being be born as a certain sex? Like, the previous shapeshifter Mystique is obviously a woman. Most of the cookie cutter responses on youtube are that X-Men was always woke and made for the downtrodden. I haven't gone further into the arguments, but I suppose the idea is will it be too woke?

Anyways, the trailers look cool and I've heard it's a good idea to watch the first and last seasons of the original series first. But I think you could just get the text synopses.

Well let's put it this way. Disney literally just fired the guy that is responsible for this just 7 DAYS before it came out, when supposedly season 2 was already written. You don't do that unless you know the fan reaction is going to be REALLY BAD (like what happened with Kevin Smith and He Man, Last Jedi/Disney Star Wars, Jody Whittaker Dr. Who, etc.). I would wait for reviews beforehand at minimum if you are considering it (Midnight's Edge, WDW Pro, etc. will probably cover it - that is how I learned this guy was fired).

Personally I am not going to give another dime to Disney for a long time, possibly never. I was out the moment they fired Gina Carano, and they manage to hit new lows each and every day. I mean I did not believe they could even one up that one on the cringe factor by insisting on the sexualization of elementary school children in Florida...

I also grew up with them, so I might watch an episode or two... but I've so little faith in Disney that I am almost certain they will disappoint yet again.. so well see, I shall watch whenever I have some spare time and report back here.

I hope it's a nice reminder of a simpler time.

Well, nothing is sacred these days :lol: It was one of my favorite shows back in the day. I think Disney deliberately messes up old classics with bad remakes just to piss people off, I mean the decision to focus on minorities is bad business, as an entertainment company you should focus on a wider audience. But well, of course, there's also the ESG incentives that entertainment companies get to do this kind of nonsense.

Well, nothing is sacred these days :lol: It was one of my favorite shows back in the day. I think Disney deliberately messes up old classics with bad remakes just to piss people off, I mean the decision to focus on minorities is bad business, as an entertainment company you should focus on a wider audience. But well, of course, there's also the ESG incentives that entertainment companies get to do this kind of nonsense.
That's a good point,

It's not lunacy or shortsightedness, or even wishful thinking, maybe the point is to get the precise reaction they're getting. Like a psycho who lies for lying, just to get away with it.

'ey , back in the late eighties /early nineties , i read a bit of marvel and d.c. , they never were any good for philosophical musings ( if you will ) , but they did provide some good examples and comedic relief , (imo ) not so much now for 30 years (?) , anyways , given that the so much talked about ESG / DEI and their very large financial resources , why would anyone with a bit of understanding expect anything but crap , from disney or any other media approved/endorsed by the authorities ? ( stil chuckle a bit looking at the non-pale "Snow white" and the incredibly diverse non-whites non-dwarves magical critters ").

I have not seen the “new” series, and although it is appreciated that they wanted to pay homage to the series of the 90's, it still has inconsistencies between what it was and what they wanted to do.

Yes, I saw the trailers and read the reviews. Then I went back to watch some excerpts and get something more out of the review.

Before going to the animation section, we already know that from the current times there is this debate of whether it is woke, not woke etc etc. ad-nauseam.

What is true is that X-MEN is a product of the 60's and what was happening in the USA at that time:

The original series, The X-Men (later published under the name Uncanny X-Men) appeared in September 1963, as an analogy of the racial tension that was being experienced in the United States at the time, being the leaders of the mutant race, Magneto, and Professor Xavier (alluding to African-American leaders Martin Luther King and the aforementioned Malcolm X).

The problem is that now these same premises and circumstances have been twisted to satisfy the mental and emotional volatility of an uber-narcissistic/hedonistic generation...and make a profit from it...

It is a fact that Disney wants to put political correctness even in anime.

The head of the anime division at Disney, Takuto Yahata, says that while the fundamental Japanese narrative remains constant, some more acceptable expressions may be necessary to avoid offending a section of the market.

Yahata recently spoke to Mantan Web about Disney's position in the anime market and how it has transformed in recent years. “Japanese anime is entering a golden age. The size of the market has surpassed three trillion yen and continues to reach new highs,” Yahata said, before noting that the medium has expanded beyond a small group of fans buying Blu-rays and DVDs. Now that anime is spreading around the world, Yahata was asked if Japan's “unique” and “radical” form of expression needed to change.

“I don't think there has been any major change,” Yahata said. “The fundamental narrative, accuracy of action, etc. have not changed, but there may be a shift toward adopting more acceptable expressions. To be seen by many people, expressions that don't hurt or mislead people are a given. This is not a negative thing, but perhaps an evolution. When videograms were the center of attention, there was a tendency for only those who wanted to buy to buy. Now that we distribute to a wider market with a service that adults and children can watch at any time, awareness is changing.”

Yahata's words raised concerns among some anime fans, who believe that the appeal of Japanese anime lies in its failure to cater to Western sensibilities. Some creators, such as “Black Jack” and “Mysterious Disappearances” episode director Kentaro Mizuno, share the same sentiment, posting via Twitter that “anime could easily fall into the trap of political correctness to sell itself in Western and Chinese cultural spheres.”

Before continuing, just a personal opinion. I watch a lot of anime, and I really enjoy that they can deal with themes that do not obey political correctness, but I have to point out that also in many productions they go to certain extremes characterized by the amoral and a reflection of the dark side of Japanese society. And here is my warning: Beware. There are things that if you don't have the stomach, the knowledge and the ways to make mental hygiene is better not to see them.

Continued. Regarding the animation... I saw the interviews that were made to the production, the cartoonists and the animators.

Although they wanted to replicate the original artwork, they argued that it was too difficult to do certain things. Especially when it came to detail.

When you make the comparison you can see that although they want to replicate the animation of the 90s, there are inconsistencies in it. And it is not a problem of budget or lack of technology. Today there are works of very talented and independent people who have created 3D works that it is very very difficult to know if it is 3D or traditional 2D animation.

What I mean by this is that they are making excuses. I mean, how did they do in the 90's to make such wonderful works? Here comes the plot twitst: In the mid 80's and part of the 90's many animated productions that you say oh! this is America! Well... it was animated in Japan...

I could give many examples. Thundercats, Silverhawks, Transformers...
And if they didn't send it to Japan to do so, it was as simple as buying Japanese productions and renaming them. As in the case of the notorious Robotech.

(I recommend watching the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series... if anyone here wondered about giants acting as a gestapo-like military force created by other aliens...)

I haven't watched this show myself, but i'm regularly watching someone opposed to the woke culture, and that person said this show is... actually good?!

Apparently, the show creator first went out of his way to claim the show is woke, and then he proceeded to do something that is actually faithful to the original (to the point that it starts exactly where the original ended). It supposedly has its issues here and there, mostly the animation quality being weird, trying to replicate the 90s aesthetic. There's also Morph having a crush on Wolverine...
(apparently at one point he confesses to Wolverine while being in the form of Jean Grey?)
But other than that, this is an actual X-Men show.
...At least from what i heard, keep in mind that i didn't watch it myself.

Well, the woke allegations from the creator certainly didn't really help the viewership, as it appears to be a flop. I wonder if it's another case of terrible advertising screwing up a good product.

Back
Top Bottom