Putin Recognizes Donbass Republics, Sends Russian Military to 'Denazify' Ukraine

I wonder if there is anything at all that would be impossible for the Ukrainian authorities to do for reasons of morality, decency, cleanliness, etc.? This is a rhetorical question

14 MAR, 16:17
Russian Foreign Ministry: employees of the SBU and embassies of Ukraine personally hire militants from the Middle East
According to the Deputy Minister of the department Oleg Syromolotov, the Ukrainian nationalists themselves, without hiding, tell about it in social networks

MOSCOW, March 14. /tass/. Employees of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) and Ukrainian diplomats are actually openly engaged in the selection and hiring of terrorists from the Middle East to participate in hostilities against the Russian Federation. This was stated in an interview with TASS by the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Oleg Syromolotov.

Russian Foreign Ministry: Kiev is recruiting terrorists from Syria
"It is disgusting that all this abomination is not being done in secret, but actually in the open. The work is carried out not only by nationalist organizations, but also by the embassies of Ukraine in a number of Middle Eastern states. For personal acquaintance and selection of candidates, employees of the Security Service of Ukraine are sent to the place," he stressed.

According to the deputy minister, the Ukrainian nationalists themselves, without hiding, tell about it on social networks. "In their anti-Russian frenzy, Bandera activists boast on social networks that they, they say, managed to recruit a certain militant, who has "hundreds of Russian tanks destroyed in Syria." With such "helpers", they say, victory over the enemy is guaranteed," Syromolotov pointed out.

On February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a special military operation in Ukraine in response to the appeal of the leaders of the republics of Donbass for help. He stressed that Moscow's plans do not include the occupation of Ukrainian territories, the goal is the demilitarization and denazification of the country.
Ukraine used a "Dot-U" with a cluster warhead on Donetsk. Dozens of people were killed
The victims of the strike were 23 people, another 18 were injured

MOSCOW, March 14. /tass/. On Monday, the Ukrainian military fired a Tochka-U tactical missile equipped with a cluster warhead at the center of Donetsk. The rocket was shot down, but due to the fall of debris, according to the latest data, 23 people were killed, at least 18 were injured.

In Moscow and Donetsk, the use of "Dot-U" in residential areas has already been called a war crime. TASS has collected the main information about the missile strike.

The circumstances
of the Tochka-U strike, according to the Russian Defense Ministry, was launched around 11:30 Moscow time from the area of Krasnoarmeysk, which is controlled by Ukrainian nationalist formations. At about 12:00 Moscow time, there were reports of a rocket shot down over Donetsk, the wreckage of which, as a TASS correspondent reported, fell near the Government House and the Krupskaya Library, as well as on University Street.

According to the latest data of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation, 23 people were killed, including children, at least 18 were injured. The Defense Ministry reported 20 dead and 28 hospitalized.

On Monday, the deputy head of the People's Militia Department of the DPR, Eduard Basurin, said that the Ukrainian military is intensively shelling residential areas of Donetsk. Only over the past weekend, according to him, more than 50 objects of urban infrastructure were destroyed.

Cluster munition
The "Tochka-U" released in Donetsk, as stated by the head of the DPR Denis Pushilin, carried a cluster warhead. He stressed that to date, the Donetsk military has already shot down more than 15 missiles of this type, but so far they "have not been loaded with cluster-type ammunition."

As emphasized in the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, the use of such ammunition proves that the purpose of the strike was to kill as many civilians as possible.

Cluster munitions are banned in almost all European countries, as well as in Australia, Canada, Japan and many other countries. Ukraine (as well as Russia and the United States) has not joined the relevant convention.

The reaction of the authorities
Pushilin called the use of the Tochka-U missile to bombard the center of Donetsk a war crime. "This is a monstrous crime of the Kiev regime. This certainly falls under a war crime. There is no opposition and no attempts to cause damage to the military infrastructure in this plan is not seen. This is a specific goal for the central part of the city. Where there are no military facilities and never have been," he said.

The head of the DPR assured that the object from where the missile was fired would be detected and destroyed. According to him, if the missile had not been shot down, there would have been disproportionately more victims, but even now "we can talk about the largest number of victims and wounded among the civilian population as a result of a one-time strike." Pushilin declared Tuesday, March 15, in the DPR a day of mourning for those who died as a result of a missile strike.

The Russian Defense Ministry also called the use of "Dot-U" a war crime and stressed that the decision on the use of such weapons should have been taken "at least by the command of the Ukrainian group of troops after approval by the leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in Kiev."

The Investigative Committee opened a criminal case on the death of Donetsk residents under Part 1 of Article 356 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation ("The use of prohibited means and methods of warfare"), involving up to 20 years in prison.

Press Secretary of the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Peskov, commenting on reports of a missile strike, replied that the Ukrainian military, "apparently, are acting on the hint and methodology of their overseas masters." "The Russian armed forces are working with modern high-precision weapons, hitting exclusively military and information infrastructure facilities," he recalled.

https://tass.ru/politika/14063863?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop
https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/14064219

Интересно, существует ли вообще что то, что было бы невозможно сделать Украинской власти по соображениям морали, порядочности, чистоплотности и т.д.? Это вопрос риторический

Last edited:
I doubt there'll be any war with NATO. NATO tries very hard to present itself as a cohesive alliance, when in fact it is a sham, with little real unity except when they want to cash in by bombing a country that can't shoot back. It's important to understand what NATO actually is today: an "alliance" run by the US designed to, effectively, neuter European military prowess and bring it, and by extension European governments, entirely under the control of the US military command. That was achieved quite a while ago.

NATO thinks that Russia believes NATO's hype, but they clearly don't. Yesterday Russia blew up a NATO training facility in West Ukraine, 15 miles from the NATO territory, and there's more to come.

But NATO still thinks that Russia "wouldn't dare" fire even one bullet at a NATO nation.

Newsflash: if NATO now decides to transfer their Ukie fascist training facilities to the "safety" of NATO territory (probably Poland), Russia will target them without hesitation.

If/when that happens, NATO and the western media will raise a hue and cry about it, convene meetings, talk about "Article 5", saber rattle ... and then do nothing except more "sanctions" (if they have any left to impose). Why? Because even they, in their delusion, know that, right now, NATO is at war with Russia in all but name. What else do you call it when you train and arm soldiers with the express purpose of killing Russian soldiers? It's covert war. It's not happening, but it really is.

The simple fact of the matter is that NATO initiated aggression against Russia, and implicit in Article 5 is that it is only invoked when a member is attacked in an unprovoked way. Even then, as I said, NATO has no history of, and no appetite for, fighting against anyone who can meaningfully shoot back.

It's a fact that there is today not one single soldier of a NATO country that has ANY combat experience of *actual* war as they would experience it if they directly engaged with Russia. Germany's military is a joke, as the chief of the German armed forces recently said:

The French army is probably in slightly better condition, likewise the other large EU nations of Spain, Italy and the UK, but NONE of them have ANY useful combat experience in terms of going head to head with Russia, and certainly no political appetite to do so. As for US troops, 20 years of occupation in Afghanistan and 10 in Iraq and a few in Syria have taught them how to shoot back at insurgents in gunfights, and that's about it.

A more likely scenario, IMO, is the continuation of the proxy war (as usual) although not without consequences imposed by Russia, and possibly a false flag chemical weapon effort, possibly in Kiev. That's the way NATO rolls. All of it will come to nothing, of course, and in contrast to the current claims of NATO being 'strengthened' by Russian actions in Ukaine, faith and belief in NATO will effectively collapse. After that, the real collapse will begin.
I concur with so much of what you write here, Joe. The following is just based on the feeling I have of accuracy of a couple things you wrote. It's hard to substantiate my conclusions, other than I've been watching and reading material posted here and extrapolating, possibly ineptly. I get an inner sense of something not being in keeping with the patterns. I don't usually share these hunches, they could be so wrong and a waste of everyone's time. But, for what it's worth, FWITW.

The last two years have a pattern and observing that Russia/Ukraine situation is that it's like the Covid regime, where the real experts get slapped down until things have gotten so bad that the slap downs fail. That pattern.

I don't feel NATO would move training to Poland, if I were in Poland, I'd find a way to prevent that happening! I hope that at least serious military people in NATO, though not sharing their views openly are working to reorganize the thinking. Likely that some functioning experts recognize the error, a political one, and wish the politicians would listen to some reason. If we here have a sense that NATO has put its foot in it, there may be some in the military leadership who are well aware also.

The media is the cornerstone of the NATO war engine now, along with, to my belief, some sophisticated neuroscience tech that I don't understand but makes sense to me in terms of my own experiences. The Media and the Politicians are One at this point. Cognitive warfare is aimed more now at the citizens of the Western nations than at so called enemies. Our minds are the front line.

From patent lists I've seen for the Defence industry in the USA, we have subtle energy weapons that can disable or kill enemy combatants at a distance, never mind damp down critical thinking in our own lands. NATO could use such technology perhaps with no obvious attacks? Maybe those weapons are not sufficiently developed yet, but I don't really buy that. Maybe there are secret treaties not to use them as nations all have such weapons in the arsenals? That and common sense? Nuclear is so last year's news....

Overall, it looks like the majority of the population on the planet is behind Russia. India, China, Russia and some others, like Mexico, which at least refuses to push sanctions, the last I read. (And hey, Mexico used Ivermectin against Covid, as did parts of India, maybe more parallels to what's happening now with Russia/Ukraine...)

From patent lists I've seen for the Defence industry in the USA, we have subtle energy weapons that can disable or kill enemy combatants at a distance, never mind damp down critical thinking in our own lands. NATO could use such technology perhaps with no obvious attacks? Maybe those weapons are not sufficiently developed yet, but I don't really buy that. Maybe there are secret treaties not to use them as nations all have such weapons in the arsenals? That and common sense? Nuclear is so last year's news....

They certainly have those weapons, but as usual, they're not really designed for use in a conventional war scenario against a peer competitor because there are defensive techniques against those types of weapons that make them pretty much useless in that scenario. As you said, they are primarily aimed, although not explicitly, against more or less civilian populations. The justification for their development by Western militaries (in particular the US) was based on the only type of wars they have waged in the last several decades, i.e. against 'insurgents', i.e. 'urban warfare'.

In case you missed it, the Ukie forces retreating from the Donbass area deliberately fired large ballistic missiles with cluster munition warheads at the center of Donetsk this morning at about 11.30. Clear, deliberate intent to kill civilians where there were no military targets. A war crime by all standards. Up to 20 were killed, including children, and dozens injured. I won't post the pictures. Yet again, the West accuses its enemies of what IT does. The Ukie forces are pathological, beyond redemption, and are everything that the Russian govt. has said about them. They deserve to be wiped out, for the sake of all normal people.

Also, if we as mere civilians have heard about such exotic weapons, surely various nations have heard of them and developed counter-measures over the years.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Electronic counter measures exist to neutralize them, making them useless as an offensive weapon against a peer military. They were designed for 'urban warfare' in 'far off lands' and, if necessary, at home.

Regarding Azov and the recent FB exception to their former content policy, it is amazing how opinion changes according to usefulness.
In January 2021, the Time published a video and a long article about the Azov and the recruitment of foreigners.

Inside A White Supremacist Militia in Ukraine​

Posted on January 8, 2021 by TIME
TIME Correspondent, Simon Shuster, travels to Ukraine in the summer of 2019 to investigate white supremacists militias that are recruiting people to join their fight.
[...]
How a White-Supremacist Militia Uses Facebook to Radicalize and Train New Members
Below: I left out the pictures except for the description in text and included.

Like, Share, Recruit: How a White-Supremacist Militia Uses Facebook to Radicalize and Train New Members

BY SIMON SHUSTER/KYIV, UKRAINE AND BILLY PERRIGO/LONDON
JANUARY 7, 2021 6:20 PM EST
The snow had just melted on the streets of Kyiv when Shawn Fuller, a U.S. Navy veteran, arrived in the early spring of 2018, his roller suitcase clattering over the pavestones of the Ukrainian capital. On the western edge of town, he found the address that his recruiter had sent him via Facebook, a flophouse with about two dozen beds, each reserved for a foreign fighter.

The men Fuller met inside were mostly from Europe, as was his recruiter, a chain-smoking Norwegian named Joachim Furholm, who had been convicted of bank robbery in Norway in 2010. The two of them had met over Facebook and gotten to know each other well, gaming out their plans to get military training and combat experience from one of Ukraine’s militia groups.

When they finally rendezvoused, Fuller noticed the swastika tattoo on the middle finger of Furholm’s left hand. It didn’t surprise him; the recruiter had made no secret of his neo-Nazi politics. Within the global network of far-right extremists, he served as a point of contact to the Azov movement, the Ukrainian militant group that has trained and inspired white supremacists from around the world, and which Fuller had come to join.

Its fighters resemble the other para-military units—and there are dozens of them—that have helped defend Ukraine against the Russian military over the past six years. But Azov is much more than a militia. It has its own political party; two publishing houses; summer camps for children; and a vigilante force known as the National Militia, which patrols the streets of Ukrainian cities alongside the police. Unlike its ideological peers in the U.S. and Europe, it also has a military wing with at least two training bases and a vast arsenal of weapons, from drones and armored vehicles to artillery pieces.

Outside Ukraine, Azov occupies a central role in a network of extremist groups stretching from California across Europe to New Zealand,
according to law enforcement officials on three continents. And it acts as a magnet for young men eager for combat experience. Ali Soufan, a security consultant and former FBI agent who has studied Azov, estimates that more than 17,000 foreign fighters have come to Ukraine over the past six years from 50 countries.

The vast majority have no apparent links to far-right ideology. But as Soufan looked into the recruitment methods of Ukraine’s more radical militias, he found an alarming pattern. It reminded him of Afghanistan in the 1990s, after Soviet forces withdrew and the U.S. failed to fill the security vacuum. “Pretty soon the extremists took over. The Taliban was in charge. And we did not wake up until 9/11,” Soufan tells TIME. “This is the parallel now with Ukraine.”

At a hearing of the House Committee on Homeland Security in September 2019, Soufan urged lawmakers to take the threat more seriously. The following month, 40 members of Congress signed a letter calling—unsuccessfully—for the U.S. State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organization. “Azov has been recruiting, radicalizing, and training American citizens for years,” the letter said. Christopher Wray, the director of the FBI, later confirmed in testimony to the U.S. Senate that American white supremacists are “actually traveling overseas to train.”

The hearings on Capitol Hill glossed over a crucial question: How did Azov, an obscure militia started in 2014 with only a few dozen members, become so influential in the global web of far-right extremism? TIME, in more than a dozen interviews with Azov’s leaders and recruits, found that the key to its international growth has been its pervasive use of social media, especially Facebook, which has struggled to keep the group off its platform. “Facebook is the main channel,” says Furholm, the recruiter.

In a statement to TIME, Facebook defended its recent attempts to deal with the proliferation of right-wing extremists, saying it has banned more than 250 white-supremacist groups, including Azov. “As they evolve their efforts to return to the platform, we update our enforcement methods with technology and human expertise to keep them off,” the statement said.

Weapons rest off the backs of recruits during a shared meal. At least since 2018, when the U.S. Congress explicitly barred any U.S. support for Azov, its fighters have been unable to train alongside troops from the U.S.-led NATO alliance. Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

Yet its attempts to crack down have been far from fully effective. While Facebook first designated the Azov Battalion a “dangerous organization” in 2016, pages linked to the group continued to spread propaganda and advertise merchandise on the platform in 2020, according to research by the Center for Countering Digital Hate published in November. Even in December, the Azov movement’s political wing, the National Corps, and its youth wing maintained at least a dozen pages on Facebook. Some began disappearing after TIME posed questions about Azov to Facebook.

That online game of catch and delete, which Facebook says is central to its counter-extremism strategy, will hardly address the deeper problem posed by Azov and its allies. Apart from offering a place for foreign radicals to study the tricks and tools of war, the Azov movement, through its online propaganda, has fueled a global ideology of hate that now inspires more terrorist attacks in the U.S. than Islamic extremism does and is a growing threat throughout the Western world.

After the worst such attack in recent years—the massacre of 51 people in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 2019—an arm of the Azov movement helped distribute the terrorist’s raving manifesto, in print and online, seeking to glorify his crimes and inspire others to follow. In the 16 years that followed the attacks of 9/11, far-right groups were responsible for nearly three-quarters of the 85 deadly extremist incidents that took place on American soil, according to a report published in 2017 by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

In their letter to the State Department in 2019, U.S. lawmakers noted that “the link between Azov and acts of terror in America is clear.” The Ukrainian authorities have also taken notice. In October, they deported two members of the Atomwaffen Division, a U.S.-based neo-Nazi group, who were trying to work with Azov to gain “combat experience,” according to a report in BuzzFeed News that cited two Ukrainian security officials.

Among Azov’s closest American allies has been the Rise Above Movement, or RAM, a far-right gang, some of whose members have been charged by the FBI with a series of violent attacks in California. The group’s leader, Robert Rundo, has said his idea for RAM came from Ukraine’s far-right scene. “This is always my whole inspiration for everything,” he told a right-wing podcast in September 2017, referring to Azov as “the future.” “They really have the culture out there,” he said. “They have their own clubs. They have their own bars. They have their own dress style.”

A young Azov recruit holds his rifle during basic training. His tattoos feature symbols often used by right-wing radicals around the world, including the Black Sun and Thor's Hammer. Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

The main recruitment center for Azov, known as the Cossack House, stands in the center of Kyiv, a four-story brick building on loan from Ukraine’s Defense Ministry. In the courtyard is a cinema and a boxing club. The top floor hosts a lecture hall and a library, full of books by authors who supported German fascism, like Ezra Pound and Martin Heidegger, or whose works were co-opted by Nazi propaganda, like Friedrich Nietzsche and Ernst Jünger. On the ground floor is a shop called Militant Zone, which sells clothes and key chains with stylized swastikas and other neo-Nazi merchandise.

“It could be described as a small state within a state,” says Olena Semenyaka, the head of international outreach for the Azov movement. On a tour of the Cossack House in 2019, she told TIME that Azov’s mission was to form a coalition of far-right groups across the Western world, with the ultimate aim of taking power throughout Europe.

It might seem ironic for this hub of white nationalists to be situated in Ukraine. At one point in 2019, it was the only nation in the world, apart from Israel, to have a Jewish President and a Jewish Prime Minister. Far-right politicians failed to win a single seat in parliament in the most recent elections. But in the context of the white-supremacist movement globally, Azov has no rivals on two important fronts: its access to weapons and its recruiting power.

The movement arose as a product of the revolution that swept Ukraine in 2014. In one of their first official acts, the revolution leaders granted amnesty to 23 prisoners, including several prominent far-right agitators. They included Andriy Biletsky, who had spent the previous two years in jail on charges of attempted murder. He maintained that the case against him was politically motivated, part of an unfair crackdown on local nationalists.

Ukrainian police had long treated his organization, Patriot of Ukraine, as a neo-Nazi terrorist group. Biletsky’s nickname within the group was Bely Vozhd, or White Ruler, and his manifesto seemed to pluck its narrative straight from Nazi ideology. Ukrainian nationalists, it said, must “lead the white nations of the world in a final crusade for their survival, a crusade against the Semite-led Untermenschen,” a German term for “subhumans” with roots in Nazi propaganda.

Within days of his release, Biletsky set out to assemble a far-right militia. “That was our rise to the surface after a long period underground,” Biletsky told TIME in an interview that winter in Ukraine. The insignia he chose for the militia combined two symbols—the “black sun” and the “wolf’s hook”—both of which were used by the German Nazis during World War II.

Azov Regiment veterans, whose banners carry an emblem derived from a Nazi symbol, the Wolfsangel, march in Kyiv in 2019.
Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

In response to Ukraine’s pro-Europe revolution, which sought to bond the former Soviet republic more closely to the West, Russian forces seized control of two major cities and dozens of towns in eastern Ukraine. The new government in Kyiv, desperate in the face of this invasion, sought allies where it could find them, even among groups that embraced anti-democratic ideologies. Biletsky’s group proved a particularly effective example, beginning its rapid rise as the Azov Battalion. The name was derived from the Sea of Azov coast, where it first saw major combat.

Among the militias that formed to resist the Russian forces, Biletsky’s followers turned out to be among the most disciplined and battle-ready. “They held the line even after everybody left,” says Serhiy Taruta, a metals magnate and former governor of the frontline region of Donetsk who helped finance and equip Azov in the early months of the war. For their bravery on the battlefield, Biletsky and other Azov commanders were lauded as national heroes. “These are our best warriors,” then President Petro Poroshenko said at an award ceremony in 2014. “Our best volunteers.”

From across Europe and the U.S., dozens of fighters came to join Azov that year, many of them bearing tattoos and rap sheets earned in the neo-Nazi underground back home. The Ukrainian authorities welcomed many of them, and in some cases granted them citizenship. Within the war’s first year, Biletsky’s militia was officially absorbed into the National Guard, becoming a regiment within Ukraine’s armed forces.

That status came with an arsenal that no other far-right militia in the world could claim, including crates of explosives and battle gear for up to 1,000 troops. On prime-time talk shows in Ukraine, Biletsky and his lieutenants were treated as warrior-celebrities, and they used their fame as a springboard into politics. Biletsky won a seat in parliament in late 2014, during the first legislative elections that followed the revolution. His ambitions soon grew beyond Ukraine. Through speeches and propaganda videos posted on YouTube and widely shared on Facebook, the Azov movement began to cultivate an online profile and a distinctive aesthetic. The clips often featured torchlit marches and scenes of war, showing off the movement’s access to heavy artillery.

They were not the only extremists to embrace social media in 2014. When the Islamic State declared a caliphate in the Middle East that year, it began posting propaganda on social networks—mashing together memes, religious verses and scenes of gratuitous violence. The approach took the platforms by surprise, and for a time the caliphate was able to lure a class of disaffected young Muslims to fight. But by 2017, both Facebook and YouTube had developed algorithms to detect Islamic extremist material, after facing significant pressure from Western governments to act.

No government, least of all that of the U.S., put similar pressure on social media platforms to stamp out white supremacy. One legacy of the 9/11 attacks was that many counter-terrorism agencies equated terrorism with Islamic extremism, allowing white supremacy to fly under the radar just as social media platforms like Facebook were giving the movement access to a bigger audience than ever before. “In a way, Facebook tracked the failed counter-terrorism policies of the Western world,” says Heidi Beirich, the director of an advocacy group called the Global Project Against Hate and Extremism.

In its statement to TIME, Facebook said it began using its algorithms to detect Azov content after designating it a dangerous organization in 2016. But well after that date, members of white-supremacist groups, including Azov, were still able to evangelize on the platform.

In some cases, Facebook’s algorithms actually nudged users into joining these groups. In an internal presentation in 2016, its analysts looked at the German political groups on the platform where racist content was thriving. They found that within this segment of Facebook, 64% of the people joining extremist groups were finding them through the platform’s own recommendation tools. “Our recommendation systems grow the problem,” the analysis states, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal that cited the internal document. In its statement to TIME, Facebook said the report was limited in scope and suggested the findings were misleading. It said it had adjusted its algorithms to stop pushing people toward known extremist groups.

Facebook groups were a stalking ground for recruiters like Furholm, the Norwegian with the swastika tattoo. At the height of his efforts in 2018, he belonged to 34 groups devoted to neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic and other far-right subjects, according to the database compiled by Megan Squire, a professor of computer science at Elon University in North Carolina who studies online extremism. Among the names of the groups that Furholm frequented were “Understanding National Socialism,” “Fascist New Man of Third Millennium” and “National Socialist News.” Twenty-seven of them, including those three, have disappeared from Facebook, but seven remain. One describes itself as “pro–white identity” and displays as its main image a black sun with an eagle atop it—overtly Nazi imagery. Another, reviewed by TIME in December, contains reams of anti-Semitic and racist posts. TIME made Facebook aware of the groups still online, and the company said it was completing a review of the content.

As Furholm scrolled through the posts and comments in these groups, he would look for young men who were, as he puts it, “the type”—mature enough to see the risks in joining a militant group like Azov but reckless enough to take them anyway.

Left: Shawn Fuller aboard the U.S.S. Russell in the Persian Gulf circa 2010; Right: Fuller in 2019 at a Ukraine military hospital after a drunken fight. Courtesy Shawn Fuller; Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

Fuller seemed to fit that profile. He was living at the time through a period of depression, working a series of dead-end jobs. After he’d spent four years in the service, the Navy had given Fuller an other-than-honorable discharge, the result of an arrest, he says, for public drunkenness while he was on leave in Dubai. According to court records and police reports obtained by TIME, Fuller later slashed a man with a knife during a bar fight in Texas, which earned him six years of probation for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Still, in spite of his criminal history, the Navy veteran hardly acted like an online radical back then. His name does not appear in Squire’s database of far-right Facebook groups and their members as of March 2018, when Fuller arrived in Ukraine. Instead, the path that led to his recruitment may have started with something more mundane.

He says he was interested in Nordic paganism, the ancient religion still practiced in small communities today. As he read about its gods and rituals online, Facebook recommended a variety of relevant groups for him to join, he says. Furholm found him in one. “That’s where we met,” Fuller recalls. “And a lot of what he was saying made sense to me.”

On Aug. 11, 2017, Facebook’s problem with the radical right became much harder to ignore. A procession of neo-Nazis and white supremacists marched that day through the city of Charlottesville, Va., carrying torches and Confederate flags in a rally called Unite the Right. The next day, one of them struck and killed a counterprotester with a car. The rally was organized, in part, on Facebook. (Among its more violent participants, according to the FBI, were three members of RAM, the gang whose leader would later describe Azov as an inspiration.)

For many, the violence in Charlottesville was a watershed moment, a brazen display of how white supremacy had entered the political mainstream in the U.S. with implicit support from President Donald Trump. Activists say it shouldn’t have come as a surprise, especially to the world’s biggest social network. In 2012, Beirich, who was then the director of the intelligence project of the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), began giving lists of white-supremacist hate groups to Facebook. Although its moderators would occasionally remove individual ones, “we couldn’t get any traction about the need to systematically deplatform extremist ideas until Charlottesville,” she says.

Soon after the Unite the Right rally, Facebook (along with YouTube and other platforms) banned several white-supremacist pages, individuals and groups that until then had avoided action. Facebook also pledged to move more quickly to take down threats of physical harm in the future. In 2018, the SPLC characterized the response of Facebook and other platforms as “finally acting on … policies they had previously rarely enforced.”

The following year it became clear that those changes were not enough. The Christchurch mosque attacker, who livestreamed the atrocity on Facebook, had been radicalized by far-right material largely on YouTube and Facebook, according to a New Zealand government report released in December 2020. He had spent time in Ukraine in 2015 and mentioned plans to move to the country permanently. “We know that when he was in that part of the world, he was making contact with far-right groups,” says Andrew Little, the Minister responsible for the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service. Little says he does not know if these groups included Azov. But during the attack, the shooter wore a flak jacket bearing a black sun, the symbol commonly used by the Azov Battalion.

So far, 48 countries and most major tech platforms have signed on to a New Zealand initiative calling on social media companies to do more to police extremist groups.

Denis Nikitin, a key figure in the Azov movement's outreach to right-wing extremists in the U.S. and Western Europe, at the Young Flame festival outside Kyiv, a major recruitment event he organized in August 2019. Maxim Dondyuk—Maxim Dondyuk

The event included mixed martial arts and endurance competitions, as well as a series of public lectures on the movement’s extreme right-wing ideology. Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

Azov members preparing to take part in a torchlit march at the Young Flame festival. Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

“Even those who were somewhat reluctant or grudging at the time—namely Facebook—have come on board, and I think are taking their responsibilities more seriously,” says Little.

After Christchurch, Facebook banned “praise, support and representation of white nationalism and white separatism,” and introduced measures aimed at deradicalizing users who search for white-supremacist terms. But activists say it was too late. By allowing groups like Azov to thrive on its platform for years, Facebook helped them build a global network that will not be easy to break apart. “Because this material was allowed to proliferate so long, in particular on Facebook, we now have thousands, millions of people who have been sucked into the world of white supremacy and other forms of extremism,” says Beirich. “That problem now exists. That’s the fallout from not having acted originally.”

The U.S. government was also slow to acknowledge the danger of Ukraine’s far-right militias. But by March 2018, the U.S. Congress publicly denounced the Azov Battalion, banning the U.S. government from providing any “arms, training or other assistance” to its fighters. Though largely symbolic, the move discouraged all Western military forces, and especially members of the NATO alliance, from training alongside Azov fighters— or indeed having anything to do with them.

It was a deep blow to morale, especially in Azov’s military wing, says Svyatoslav Palamar, one of its top commanders. “Some people still see us as hooligans and outlaws,” he told TIME during a visit to Azov’s training base near Mariupol, where uniformed cadets had spent the day learning the proper way to hurl a grenade. “We’ve come a long way since the early days.”

To prove it, Azov tightened its standards for foreign fighters, accepting only those with enough weapons training and expertise to serve as military instructors. But the shift did not obviate the need for Furholm’s brand of online recruitment. On the contrary, in the summer of 2018, Azov’s political wing allowed him to use one of its cottages outside Kyiv as a hostel for foreign fighters. Those who did not make the cut were channeled into one of Ukraine’s other militia groups, or in some cases, the regular Ukrainian military.

Azov members and supporters at the movement’s Young Flame festival outside Kyiv in August 2019. Maxim Dondyuk for TIME

Fuller fell into the latter group. After the Azov Regiment turned him down because of lack of experience, some of the friends he’d made in the movement helped the American sign a contract with Ukraine’s marine corps, which sent him to the front. When TIME first interviewed him in 2019, he was in Mariupol, recovering from injuries sustained in a drunken street fight. But he seemed happy to have made it as a foreign fighter in Ukraine.

When Facebook deleted his profile in 2019 in a purge of far-right accounts, Fuller stayed in touch with friends in the far-right movement through other social networks. He doesn’t like to think of himself as a recruiter but says he offers advice to Americans and Europeans who contact him online asking how they can follow in his footsteps.

Judging by some of his posts on VK, a social network that has grown in popularity among the far right as Facebook has cracked down on their accounts, Fuller’s views have become a lot more radical since he left his Texas hometown. In one screed posted to VK in May, he blamed the British for starting World War II and cast Adolf Hitler as a veritable peacenik. One of the accounts Fuller follows on that social network belongs to Azov’s military wing. Its VK page has more than 100,000 subscribers, hailing from around the world.

With reporting by Amy Gunia/Hong Kong and Madeline Roache/London

Below that, one finds TIME recommendations that include two articles:
MORE MUST-READ STORIES FROM TIME
Regarding FB recently allowing encouragement of Azov, will that eventually backfire on FB too. Is it meant to?

I hear you. It’s really tough to keep the emotions in check. The outrage. I just remind myself whenever my heart starts to race and my face gets hot that the Cs say “Don’t worry” and “Enjoy the ride”. Truly “more wild than a roller coaster” indeed! I remind myself to breathe, deeply and deliberately, and it works. You’ve got a front row seat to the big show. Try not to drop your popcorn!;-)
Incidentally, or not, the usual French transalation for "roller coaster" is "montagnes russes" (Russian mountains).

In case you missed it, the Ukie forces retreating from the Donbass area deliberately fired large ballistic missiles with cluster munition warheads at the center of Donetsk this morning at about 11.30. Clear, deliberate intent to kill civilians where there were no military targets. A war crime by all standards. Up to 20 were killed, including children, and dozens injured. I won't post the pictures. Yet again, the West accuses its enemies of what IT does. The Ukie forces are pathological, beyond redemption, and are everything that the Russian govt. has said about them. They deserve to be wiped out, for the sake of all normal people.
This is what West is supporting: companies and the sanctioning. West has become ardent Nazi. But of course its just business for the trillionaires. Makes my blood boil and a certain intent arises.
Statement by Russian Defence Ministry
  • On March 14, at about 11.30 a.m. Moscow time, Tochka-U tactical missile was fired at a residential block of Donetsk city from the territory controlled by the Kiev nationalist regime.
  • The shelling of the city was carried out from the north-western direction, from the area of Krasnoarmeysk settlement, which is controlled by Ukrainian nationalist units.
  • As a result of the explosion of a cluster warhead in the center of Donetsk, 20 civilians were killed. Another 28 people, including children, were seriously injured and taken to medical institutions.
  • The use of such weapons on a town with no armed forces firing positions, i.e. deliberately targeting civilians, is a war crime.
  • The armament of Tochka-U missile’ warhead with cluster ammunition proves that the purpose of the nationalists’ strike on the city was to kill as many civilians as possible.
  • I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the decision to use this type of missile weapons is made, at least, by the command of the Ukrainian grouping of troops, after approval by the leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in Kiev.
  • All this once again confirms the Nazi and anti-human nature of the ruling regime in Ukraine today.

In case you missed it, the Ukie forces retreating from the Donbass area deliberately fired large ballistic missiles with cluster munition warheads at the center of Donetsk this morning at about 11.30. Clear, deliberate intent to kill civilians where there were no military targets. A war crime by all standards. Up to 20 were killed, including children, and dozens injured.

And only couple of hours before that this beauty from Donetsk was shared on Russian Telegram channels. And now also shared by some on FB. The symbolic contrast is extremely obvious and glaring.

Apologies, both sources don't allow to embed the video on the forum.

Also the media has a new scare about Russia. What they fail to get that this way they actually admit that there are biological weapons in these labs.

photo_2022-03-14_19-45-32.jpg

Also the media has a new scare about Russia. What they fail to get that this way they actually admit that there are biological weapons in these labs.

View attachment 56591

Due to all the lies and BS spread along the years probably it had caused serious cognitive side effects on the minds of these so called journalists. Little by little one can see the inevitable and the unavoidable scenario, that is, the whole western house of cards that's about to come crashing down. The only ones that aren't able to see the dawnfall of the globalists wet dream are the PTB, their minions and the sleeping masses.

Here is what the Russian Telegram channels reveal about today's terrorist attack:

❗️Ukraine was preparing for today's provocation in the center of Donetsk.

Yesterday, the Ukrainian special services created a group of "soldiers' mothers" in Telegram. The group was stuffed with bots and invitations were scattered to other resources. The task of the group was to lead the women to the government building in the center of the city by 12:00 p.m. today.

They were to go out, ostensibly to inquire about the mobilized. Dissent in the group was not allowed.

Just at 12:00, the center of Donetsk was shelled by Ukrainian fighters. And a cluster-type Tochka-U was shot down over the DNR government building.

The number of casualties is already about 20, and if the missile had not been shot down, there could have been even more.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

And here is the address to the people of Donbass by Denis Pushilin:

Today the Ukrainian Nazis committed a monstrous act of terror against the civilians of Donbass - they used a Tochka-U missile system with a cassette-type charge on the center of Donetsk. And if the missile had not been destroyed in the air, there would have been disproportionately more casualties.

The strike took place during daylight hours, when there are many people on the street, traffic, banks and stores are active. As a result of the barbaric crime committed by the Ukrainian army, many civilians were killed and wounded. According to operational information, 17 people were killed, 28 more were wounded, among them a child. The figures are being clarified.

We have information that enables us to identify precisely those involved in the killing of civilians: the numbers of this "Tochka-U" have been recorded. The perpetrators will not escape punishment.

The war crimes of the Kiev regime will soon be brought to an end. The liberation operation is accelerating, the armed forces of the People's Republics, with the fire support of the Russian army, are squeezing the fascist scum out of our towns and villages.

Dear compatriots! Tomorrow, March 15 is announced a day of mourning.

I extend my condolences to the bereaved families and relatives.

I wish the wounded a speedy recovery.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

An interesting article with legal nuances

Joseph Biden's decree legally "liquidated" Ukraine
March 11, 2022, 17:10
Yuri Gorodnenko

Even before the start of the Russian special operation, Washington and London took steps that created a legal incident: Britain and the United States de jure revoked recognition of Ukraine's sovereignty.

The West demands from Russia that it does not withdraw from negotiations with Ukraine. At the same time, he demands to negotiate with those whom he himself recognized as international criminals.

On February 14, 2022, US Secretary of State Anthony John Blinken announced the "temporary" transfer of the activities of the American embassy from Kiev to Lviv. On February 18, a similar statement regarding the British diplomatic mission was posted on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the United Kingdom. According to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 1961, this meant the rejection of recognition of Ukrainian statehood.

The fact is that article 14 of the Vienna Convention clearly defines that ambassadors are accredited to the head of state. The residences of ambassadors (embassies) should be located where the official residences of the heads of state are located. In February, the residence of the Ukrainian president was officially in Kiev. The transfer of embassies qualified as a downgrade of their status to a regular representative office or consulate general. Such a reduction occurs when the accrediting State loses sovereignty or, using legal terminology, "sovereign equality" disappears in relations with it.

Thus, the United States and Britain, even before the start of the Russian special operation to protect Donbass, actually withdrew the diplomatic recognition of the Kiev regime.

Indirect recognition of the LDPR
On February 21, US President Joseph Biden issued an executive order that expanded the operation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). The effect of this law, adopted back in 1977, was expanded to, as it was said in the decree, "the so-called regions of the DPR or LPR of Ukraine." The IEEPA itself allowed the president to prohibit any economic operations in which the property of states recognized as "unfriendly" was involved. Such emergency measures were allowed to be introduced only in the event of an external threat to the national security of the United States.

Please note that the American president applied to the DPR and the LPR the law that applies to foreign countries. Thus, he actually recognized the statehood of the two Donbass republics. And this is against the background of the refusal to legitimize the Kiev regime. Moreover, Biden elevated the DPR and the LPR to the rank of states that pose a threat to US national security. Moreover, he retained the right to extend the 1977 law to other regions of Ukraine.

Finally, it is worth paying attention to the speech of US Deputy Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland in Congress on March 8. She stated the following: There are facilities in Ukraine where biological research is carried out. To clarify: any research with bioagents, especially secret ones, is prohibited by the UN Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Biological Weapons. Later, the State Department clarified that the biolabs were subordinate to the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Thus, he admitted that it was Kiev that violated the UN Convention. And this is an international crime.

As we can see, the United States did not just revoke the diplomatic recognition of Ukrainian statehood. They also declared the regime ruling in Kiev criminal.

https://ren.tv/blog/iurii-gorodnenk...mpaign=vidjet&utm_medium=1&utm_content=936535

Soros in 2015:
"[T]he Soros Empire (is) replacing the Soviet Empire" “You take Russia, which is actually where I am most involved currently..." "My main involvement is Ukraine."

The Asia Society conducted an interview with George Soros. George Soros on Myanmar: A Long-Term Investment That 'Paid Off'
The Hindu Post among others rediscovered it recently and wrote an article Here is an excerpt:
A video has emerged of Soros speaking at a program organized by Asia Society in New York, USA on April 20, 2015. Asia Society is a non-profit founded in 1956 by American billionaire Rockefeller to ‘study Asia’ and promote ‘greater knowledge’ about it in the USA. Such non-profits are an integral part of promoting and maintaining American hegemony, and their murky role in Asia and Bharat is well documented.

In a session titled “When Societies Open,” Soros and moderator Orville Schell assessed progress, or the lack thereof, in nearly a dozen nations where Soros and his Open Society Foundations have sought to ‘assist transitions’ to democracy and economic reform.
“When the Soviet Union..Soviet Empire collapsed, I moved in and picked up the pieces. First in Hungary in 1984, then in Poland in 87, China in 87 as well. So this is how, the Soros Empire (is) replacing the Soviet Empire,” says Soros with a smile in the clip above.

“How do you think you are doing in your imperial ambitions?,” the moderator asks, also smilingly. The entire video can be seen here.

“You take Russia, which is actually where I am most involved currently. At the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union, you had a moribund Soviet Union (Russia) and an emerging European Union – unfortunately, you now have the reverse – a resurgent Russia and disintegrating EU. But the Foundation has made a contribution, so I consider it a success. My main involvement is Ukraine, where there is a new Ukraine eager to be part of EU…the people involved, inside govt. and civil society, have somehow been in contact with the Foundation. It’s very gratifying.”

In the discussion, Soros also mentioned Baltic nations (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania- former members of USSR) as ‘success stories’, and warned that a “resurgent Russia” was threatening not only reforms in the former Soviet Union but also the power and influence of the European Union. He also chastised Russian President Vladimir Putin for his ‘actions in Ukraine’ (US government and groups like Soros’ Open Societies Foundation had triggered a coup in Ukraine through the Euromaidan protests in 2013/14) and his ‘stranglehold’ on public opinion. “Putin won’t change,” Soros said.
That was in 2015, but many have continued to buy into what he and his foundations has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom