Why? The Purpose of the Universe by Philip Goff

By the way, if I had thought that the question about the text was in the context of the people of your country, I would not have responded, because I do not live there.
The idea of "taxation is theft" is mostly well-known as being an argument in the book The Ethics of Liberty by Murray Rothbard which then became a central thesis to the American right-leaning libertarian movement. I think it can be assumed that Goff is responding to this somewhat American-centric idea, especially since he names Rothbard in his screed. But it is not strictly about the US, since socializing the cost of many systems has spread to almost all liberalized Western governments and there are libertarian parties in pretty much all of these countries who are against taxation.

Last edited:
And just in case, when I say that the worker in general does not think about that, I mean that it is something that is assumed by the worker and against which he cannot do anything.
Any social contract that one has not agreed to is a violation of the non-aggression principle. The government will initiate force against anyone who does not wish to enter into such a contract. Is that much different than when a man decides to steal your car?

Any social contract that one has not agreed to is a violation of the non-aggression principle. The government will initiate force against anyone who does not wish to enter into such a contract. Is that much different than when a man decides to steal your car?

Yeah, and the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play too, I think. The mafioso takes your money, but he also protects you. After all, he needs a little something for his services. Or so he justifies it. Never mind that there's a very real threat behind it - in the case of the mafia, it's a broken leg. In the case of the government, it's jail. So captive populations can easily come to rely on their governments for security, without realizing that their governments are often the biggest threats. And they're the biggest threat especially if the people stop trusting them, and even worse, stop paying into the protection racket.

The article gives me a lot of food for thought. But to be honest I am not an expert in economics and much less someone who knows about taxes.

However, I think the article makes us look at the nature of the reality in which we live today. An STS world and its direct implication: Control and possession. All I know is that where there is control and possession there is accumulation of (money = energy) and eventually that leads to collapse.

I would say, if it is possible, follow closely the events in Argentina, since there is a president there who believes in the free market at all costs. Even to the detriment of the citizens....

On the history of taxation in Australia - at the time of the federation of the states under the Constitution in 1901, the only official tax that was mentioned was customs and excise duties. There was apparently no income tax, but there were apparently land taxes and taxes on the profits of business applied by states - which basically means nothing because there are many loopholes that businesses could use to avoid paying tax or at least to minimise exposure. Also, as Beau mentions, income in exchange for labour is not profit - it's meant to be a fair and equitable exchange.

The first federal tax was a 2.5% flat rate that was implemented in 1915 to help with the costs of war. Participation was apparently voluntary, but govt leaned on the 'patriotic duty' angle. Where have we heard that before? Start with voluntary measures before introducing compliance by force?

WW2 started in 1939, in 1940 the govt started selling war bonds and savings certificates prolly because the war was predicted to be profitable for some while partaking countries started to slide towards insolvency with creeping national debt. Then in 1941, a federal tax became compulsory and the constitution was amended to provide for unemployment, sickness and disability, widows and single parents pensions.

So the correlation between implementing income taxes and wars is notable, at least in Australia.

I remember a story in the news in the '80's how businessman Alan Bond had made a huge profit from his businesses, but only paid $120 in annual tax - that at a time when I was paying around $120 per week income tax on an income that was like a drop in the bucket compared to his profits!

Is it possible to run an economically stable and prosperous country without income tax? According to Investopedia, there are 4 countries that don't charge it - Bermuda, Monaco, The Bahamas and The United Arab Emirates. I've seen memes that claim that Gaddafi didn't charge Libyans income tax, but don't know if that's true or not. One of Trumps proposed tax reforms was to abolish the internal revenue service, income tax and all the hidden taxes, but that didn't mean that taxes were totally avoidable, it was just applied in different ways and maybe that's true for those countries that don't charge income tax currently.

In any case, the argument against income tax often refers back to the bible with the claim that the following passages support the abolition of income tax because charging it is like saying that the labourer is not worthy of the income due to him.

Luke 10:7
And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

Matthew 10:10
Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Leviticus 19:13
Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.

Deuteronomy 24:15
At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the Lord, and it be sin unto thee.

There are some who still claim that paying income tax is voluntary and that idea rests in part on the use of the word 'may' in tax laws. It doesn't say that you will or shall be fined if you don't pay, it says you 'may' be fined or penalties 'may' apply. It isn't clear what the qualifiers are though.

Then there's the whole idea that a good man should break bad laws. Even in the military there's wiggle room about not following a bad order, though I doubt that doesn't always come without some cost. With that in mind, I really don't mind the idea of paying tax to a humanitarian and benevolent govt where those qualities are real rather than fake facades that attempt to cover for ignorance or malicious malevolence. For a bad govt, tax minimisation in whatever way possible could probably be considered a moral act in some respects.

There is no serious political theory according to which my pre-tax income is ‘mine’ in any morally significant sense. Moreover, this matters: this confused assumption is a major stumbling block to economic reform, causes low and middle earners to vote against their economic interests, and renders it practically impossible to correct the economic injustices that pervade the modern world.

The economic injustices are very real. But they are a consequence of something far deeper than any "reform" could solve: the modern, technocratic civilization itself. The consequence of the fall. You can't solve something caused by technocracy & civilization run amok, favoring the pathocrats, with more technocracy & civilization run amok, favoring the pathocrats. This shows that he hasn't thought beyond extremely superficial things when it comes to the human condition.

This is not a plausible view. For it implies that the market distributes to people exactly what they deserve for the work that they do. But nobody thinks a hedge-fund manager deserves many times more wealth than a scientist working on a cure for cancer, and few would think that current pay ratios in companies reflect what philosophers call desert claims. Probably you work very hard in your job, and you make an important contribution. But then so do most people, and the market distribution of wealth patently does not reward in proportion to how hard-working people are, or how much of a contribution they make to society. If we were just focusing on desert, then there is a good case for taxation to correct the amoral distribution of the market.

This is a huge can of worms and might actually lead to interesting discussions. But in typical (modern) philosophy manner, he does violence to reality by stuffing it all into extremely reductionist and coarse distinctions, using ultra-cliché examples (hedge-fund manager vs. scientist) that don't help a bit. It doesn't help either that these days most hedge-fund managers are probably morally superior to most scientists ;-)

Therefore, if taxation is theft, it’s because it essentially involves the violation of people’s natural rights to property. But do we really have natural rights to property? And even if we do, does taxation really infringe them? To begin to address these questions, we need to think more carefully about the nature of property.

So he draws a distinction between "natural right to your earnings" and "deserving your earnings", without it making any sense to the actual substance of such a discussion, all so that he can go on to attack the thing he just defined into existence. I'm sure I know exactly how this will play out. Boring.

The French anarchist Pierre-Joseph Proudhon declared in 1840 that all property is theft. But even among those who accept the legitimacy of property, there are very different views as to what exactly the right to property amounts to. Libertarians believe that property rights are natural, reflecting basic moral facts about the world. Others hold that property rights are merely legal, social constructions, which are created by us and can be shaped to suit our purposes. We can call the latter view ‘social constructivism’ about property. (Please note, our focus here is specifically on social constructivism about property; we are not considering a more general position according to which morality as a whole is a social construction.)

Well you can't just bracket the big questions and think you'll get anywhere. Social constructivism is huge can of worms. Of course property rights are in some sense socially constructed. But also of course there is something natural, deep-rooted, universal about the basic energy exchange that occurs when you earn something through work. This is mere word games.

To bring out the difference, ask yourself: ‘Which comes first: facts about property or facts about property law?’

You don't sound as smart as you think you do, dude.

So, if I have a moral claim on my entire pre-tax income, this must be because it is exactly the amount of money I deserve for my hard work and social contribution, presumably because in general the market delivers to each person exactly what they deserve. But we have already concluded that this is not a plausible claim.

LOL, we have "concluded" no such thing. You just stated it as a gospel truth earlier on! With your hedge-fund manager cliché, no less, and with only that.

Almost all politicians and voters start from the assumption that each citizen has some kind of moral claim on her gross income. In fact, we have seen that making sense of this requires some hefty and highly contentious philosophical theses. It requires accepting the general libertarian commitment to property being natural and not dependent on human laws or conventions. And it also requires denying the Left-wing libertarian claim that each of us has an equal moral claim on the resources of the natural world.

This is a typical move by sophist philosophers (and scientists): something that is totally obvious to common sense gets redefined as something that is actually impossible, problematic, etc. Besides, "we have seen" no such thing; again, he's just stating things and then later saying "as we have shown"!

According to Right-wing libertarianism, the market distribution of wealth is morally significant because it is the distribution that respects the voluntary choices people have made with the property to which they have a natural right. But this is the case only if the market is perfectly free, ie if the state has no influence on the distribution of wealth. Yet there are very few countries in the world in which this is the case. In almost every country, there is a certain amount of taxation, at least to pay for roads and infrastructure, if not for education and healthcare. But even the smallest such state intervention entails that the market distribution of wealth no longer reflects the free choices of citizens, and hence by the lights of Right-wing libertarianism the citizens of these countries have no moral claim on their pre-tax income.

Love it. So: because there are no truly free markets in most countries, market distribution doesn't reflect free choices, therefore people can be taxed into oblivion! This is some hefty manipulation. How about if market distribution doesn't reflect free choices, we correct that, instead of arguing that we should make it worse?

The point can be made clearer with some examples. Consider a Professor Schmidt, a Right-wing libertarian academic working in a German university, who is very annoyed about the state taking 42 per cent of ‘her’ income. Where did her salary come from? Well, German universities are publicly funded, and so Schmidt’s salary comes from general taxation, from the money the German state forcibly extracted from its citizens. But according to Right-wing libertarianism, this is an immoral state action that infringes the natural rights of its citizens; in effect, it steals from people to pay Professor Schmidt. It follows that Professor Schmidt has no right to her salary, and hence no right to complain that the state lets her have only 58 per cent of this stolen money.

Oh, come, on. For once you try to give a real-world example, and all it does is show how poor, clichéd and flat your view of reality is, leading to silly cheap shots. This is 4th grade debate club stuff.

It’s hard to shake the feeling that the gross income figure on your payslip represents your money, and that the difference from your take-home pay represents how much the state has taken from you. In fact, there is no coherent way of justifying this conviction. Even if the most radical forms of Right-wing libertarianism are true, it remains the case that you have no special moral claim on your gross income.

The sophistry and gaslighting is quite something. You see, what the state takes from you it actually doesn't take from you! And this guy has the audacity of talking about a "coherent way of justifying".

As an aside, I really hate this sort of philosophy-journal prose, especially when people try to use it for real-world stuff as opposed to the mind puzzles of analytic philosophy. And that ghastly "gendered language" :shock:

My overall sense is this: He has a dismally, extremely poor understanding of the human condition that doesn't go one bit beyond what you can read in the NYT. But since he's a smart-ass, he expresses the same diarrhea with some fancy conceptualizing, which is actually almost comically poor in its substance.

Not that issues of property, inequality, etc. aren't interesting, but again, these reach so much deeper than the liberal sentiments of the day could ever allow for, and here they are just used to justify extremely bland, flat and superficial standard opinions of mainstram left-wingers who have never thought beyond evil-capitalist-nature-and-people-exploiter vs. enlightened-sharing-and-caring-anti-Nazi-leftwinger.

Also, those who get paid by the state often feel they must justify this somehow, and academics are no exception.

Last edited:
here they are just used to justify extremely bland, flat and superficial standard opinions of mainstram left-wingers who have never thought beyond evil-capitalist-nature-and-people-exploiter vs. enlightened-sharing-and-caring-anti-Nazi-leftwinger.
The irony is that the members of the Nazi Party originally came from the enlightened-sharing-and-caring-leftwingers who believed capitalism was evil.

On the history of taxation in Australia - at the time of the federation of the states under the Constitution in 1901, the only official tax that was mentioned was customs and excise duties. There was apparently no income tax, but there were apparently land taxes and taxes on the profits of business applied by states - which basically means nothing because there are many loopholes that businesses could use to avoid paying tax or at least to minimise exposure. Also, as Beau mentions, income in exchange for labour is not profit - it's meant to be a fair and equitable exchange.

The first federal tax was a 2.5% flat rate that was implemented in 1915 to help with the costs of war. Participation was apparently voluntary, but govt leaned on the 'patriotic duty' angle. Where have we heard that before? Start with voluntary measures before introducing compliance by force?

WW2 started in 1939, in 1940 the govt started selling war bonds and savings certificates prolly because the war was predicted to be profitable for some while partaking countries started to slide towards insolvency with creeping national debt. Then in 1941, a federal tax became compulsory and the constitution was amended to provide for unemployment, sickness and disability, widows and single parents pensions.

So the correlation between implementing income taxes and wars is notable, at least in Australia.

I remember a story in the news in the '80's how businessman Alan Bond had made a huge profit from his businesses, but only paid $120 in annual tax - that at a time when I was paying around $120 per week income tax on an income that was like a drop in the bucket compared to his profits!

Is it possible to run an economically stable and prosperous country without income tax? According to Investopedia, there are 4 countries that don't charge it - Bermuda, Monaco, The Bahamas and The United Arab Emirates. I've seen memes that claim that Gaddafi didn't charge Libyans income tax, but don't know if that's true or not. One of Trumps proposed tax reforms was to abolish the internal revenue service, income tax and all the hidden taxes, but that didn't mean that taxes were totally avoidable, it was just applied in different ways and maybe that's true for those countries that don't charge income tax currently.

In any case, the argument against income tax often refers back to the bible with the claim that the following passages support the abolition of income tax because charging it is like saying that the labourer is not worthy of the income due to him.

Luke 10:7
And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

Matthew 10:10
Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Leviticus 19:13
Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.

Deuteronomy 24:15
At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the Lord, and it be sin unto thee.

There are some who still claim that paying income tax is voluntary and that idea rests in part on the use of the word 'may' in tax laws. It doesn't say that you will or shall be fined if you don't pay, it says you 'may' be fined or penalties 'may' apply. It isn't clear what the qualifiers are though.

Then there's the whole idea that a good man should break bad laws. Even in the military there's wiggle room about not following a bad order, though I doubt that doesn't always come without some cost. With that in mind, I really don't mind the idea of paying tax to a humanitarian and benevolent govt where those qualities are real rather than fake facades that attempt to cover for ignorance or malicious malevolence. For a bad govt, tax minimisation in whatever way possible could probably be considered a moral act in some respects.
Be that as it may, the machinery is in operation and works very well.

A privileged one percent whose job is to set an example for the rest.

The rest enter the hamster wheel to spin around without stopping anywhere, in a useless effort to get closer to those who set an example.

Result..., endless pain and suffering.

If we lived in a more balanced reality then maybe taxes could be used in a fair and just manner. Currently, the people in control are in a feeding frenzy of greed and accumulation. If money is a physical manifestation of energy then it’s a feeding on both the physical and energetic level. I’m in Canada and the tax situation is out of control and getting worse. In my province we pay income tax and sales tax on everything besides food is 13%. On April 1st, the government increased our carbon tax:

And the city of Toronto is considering implementing a rain water tax:

He speaks as if laws have agency over humans, which is true, but humans are not NPCs either. He gets bogged down in semantics about legal language when more interesting discussions would center around why man needs laws, is he evil and stupid? If so why? Societies don't follow the letter of the law, they usually follow legal precedent, (unless the society is ponerized). Customs and cultures that abide by natural law and STO principles can elicit behaviors in cultures that diminish the need for Hobsonian laws.

It seems like a somewhat trivial argument based on legal technicalities with little thought about broader considerations.

Last edited:
This article is utter nonsensical garbage. TLDR: Goff claims that the morality of natural property rights is conditional upon a society respecting that morality - ie. the exact moral constructivist argument he claims not to use when he says:

F*wit Guff said:
(Please note, our focus here is specifically on social constructivism about property; we are not considering a more general position according to which morality as a whole is a social construction.)

Non-TLDR: Let's look at some of his egregiously manipulative tactics.

Goff’s article contains implicit bias. He begins by describing libertarians who hold the notion that taxation is theft as “radical”. He says, “outside of academia”, as if there were “academics” and “everyone else”. He says that the notion is “confused” because it isn’t present in a “serious” political theory, Goff adjudicating what is "serious" political theory, of course. Yet there are many notions, particularly in science and mathematics, that aren’t part of a political theory and yet are completely common sense and justified by airtight reasoning!

He makes a para-logical and para-moral judgement about the notion because:
- it prevents ‘economic reform’, assuming that the correct ‘reform’ would naturally exclude this notion, and its presence is directly preventing said 'reform'!
- claims that it’s in the economic interests of those who vote against it, with no evidence, despite that those votes are direct evidence that those voting consider it NOT to be in their economic interests.
- claims it ‘corrects economic injustices’, as if those ‘injustices’ were self-evident (subjective) and a direct result of that one notion!

His statement that 'theft can be both legal, moral, or both', is presupposed on the arbitrary laws of a particular legal system. Different legal systems are based on different laws and customs. Therefore, taxation as a general concept can only be referred to in the moral sense, because only that concept is independent of the arbitrary laws it is being compared with. His dismissal of “legal theft” is also based on circular reasoning: legal theft doesn’t exist because the laws create legal claim! Never mind that the person has to earn the money before it can be taxed, otherwise it’s not income!

Goff claims money is “delivered to you” via the “market”, not earned via agreed exchange! His idea of how people obtain money is a ridiculous abstraction. He then sets up a straw man by bringing up the justification for payment as based on “deserving”, an ambiguous concept, rather than agreement! He then unsurprisingly knocks "deserving" down easily, before setting up another, subtler straw man: "entitlement".

what you are entitled to is the result of your property rights
A completely meaningless distinction that attempts to shift the reader's focus towards 'rights' that are legally enforced by a central authority, and away from the concept of property obtained through ethical, mutually-agreed exchange.

He then creates arbitrary categories, “Right-wing libertarian; Left-wing libertarian; and social constructivist” and seems unconcerned with possible exceptions. But as we will see, Goff isn't concerned with the philosophical justification of individual theories from first principles.

it is not possible for one individual to acquire exclusive rights over land or natural resources in a way that excludes the equal moral claims of other citizens.
A side note: this conception of property rights assumes that primacy has no moral value, which may be an incorrect assumption.

The claims of future generations must also be taken into account, leading naturally to an inheritance tax
It's quite possible to have a “left-wing libertarian” theory of property that excludes this.

But Left-libertarian theories leave considerable latitude for the state to alter the distribution of wealth, perhaps through taxation, if some take more than their fair share of natural resources.
Goff's use of “taxation” here implicitly contains the idea of forcible seizure - ie. theft, which Goff claims he’s arguing against! And he automatically implies the state is the arbiter of “fair share”.

The second requirement – the denial of equal rights over the natural world – is particularly implausible, and something I’ve never seen any justification of from Right-wing libertarians.
“I’ve never seen a good argument against it, and I think it’s implausible, so it must be.” Where is his justification FOR equal rights over the natural world, as he demands from the right-wing libertarians about exclusive rights? Again, emotional reasoning and moral bias.

The reason is that the world that Right-wing libertarianism theorises about is a very different one to the world we live in today.
"RWL'ism isn’t a viable theory because it doesn’t correspond to the 'reality' we live in today."

1) How exactly does the moral argument against taxation not correspond to reality when Goff claims that it prevents economic reform, people are voting based on it, it's causing 'economic injustices', and politicians like David Cameron talk about it in their speeches? Sounds like it's a pretty big part of the "world we live in today" to me.

2) I'm sure Goff's beloved abolitionists heard very similar arguments from slavers in their day. I guess they should have realised they weren't acting ethically because it was "very different to the world they lived in then."

But this is the case only if the market is perfectly free, ie if the state has no influence on the distribution of wealth. Yet there are very few countries in the world in which this is the case. In almost every country, there is a certain amount of taxation, at least to pay for roads and infrastructure, if not for education and healthcare.
The actuality (or not) of morality in practice does not effect the existence of a moral principle! And yet Goff claims that less than perfect adherence to such principles disproves natural property rights via their own presuppositions! UTTER HORSESHIT.

But even the smallest such state intervention entails that the market distribution of wealth no longer reflects the free choices of citizens, and hence by the lights of Right-wing libertarianism the citizens of these countries have no moral claim on their pre-tax income.
BY THE LIGHTS OF RIGHT-WING LIBERTARIANISM, I, PHILIP GOFF, DECLARE THAT ALL THE CITIZENS OF COUNTRIES WHO ARE NOT PERFECTLY LIBERTARIAN HAVE NO MORAL CLAIM ON THEIR PRE-TAX INCOME, BECAUSE, I, PHILIP GOFF, AM AN UTTER RETARD WHO THINKS HE IS MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

Although she is not directly paid by the state, the profits generated by Jones’s business are dependent on many things that are funded by the state:
"My hypothetical example assumes the use of state resources, therefore that is the reality for every business in real life." 🤣 🤣 🤣

In theory, Right-wing libertarianism does entail that people have a moral claim on their pre-tax income, and hence that taxation is theft, but only in hypothetical societies where there is zero or minimal state interference in the economy.
NO, NOT IN HYPOTHETICAL SOCIETIES, BUT AS A PREEXISTENT MORAL PRINCIPLE EVERYWHERE! THAT’S WHAT MORALITY MEANS! Goff comes out of the closet as a totalitarian postmodernist libtard here.

Even if the most radical forms of Right-wing libertarianism are true, it remains the case that you have no special moral claim on your gross income.
“Even if it’s true, it’s false.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I thought Goff actually had half a brain based on what Laura quoted in her article series, but now I see he has just one solitary neuron screaming into the vast void of his skull. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom