What are you listening to?

I’ve been revisiting my Neo-classical metal days. There’s some real beauty in between the shredding. The song begins with Adagio in G minor, which he performs with heart. But my favorite part is the E minor slow section at 5:16. The diminished chord is his sweet spot. I know it’s not for everybody, but this album came out right after high school, and I was right on the cusp of playing in clubs professionally. This album changed my course because it married the classical music my trained pianist father played through my entire childhood with the heavy metal I was into as a teenager. It can still move me to tears, believe it or not!😄

Some more music for eclipse day.
Vaughn Monroe - "Racing with the Moon"

Racing with the moon
High up in the midnight blue
And then all too soon
It's lost from view

Gazing at the stars
Dreaming of the love we knew
And then like the moon
It fades from view

In the blue heavens I see
Your face smiling at me
My heart will never be free
Until we're back together

Racing with the moon
That is what I'll always do
'Til I overtake the moon and you

Mark Knopfler - "One Deep River"​

Now the highway is sleeping
The plains are still
The steel rails are silent
Sun’s going down behind the hills
And the night comes falling
With the evening star
Wherever you’re going
Wherever you are

You are one deep river, old friend
One deep river, amen
You’re one deep river, old friend
One deep river, amen

The wild geese are flying
Into the west
And your soul is heading
To its rest
But your light will keep on burning
Like that evening star
And your song will keep returning
Wherever you are

You are one deep river, old friend
One deep river, amen
You’re one deep river, old friend
One deep river, amen

Mark Knopfler

Jimi Hendrix and his anti-war magnum opus Machine Gun. Probably the finest single piece of 20th Century Art. Says everything without many words, pure emotion. He twists and squalls every human inflection in a 12 minute work of genius.

My god, we lost out on decades of musical genius when he choked to death in 1970. Taken far too soon. His contribution to the great cosmic aggregate is without question. I often wonder what my old dead heroes are up to nowadays? Still chilling and contemplating on 5d I guess, maybe a new and more low-key incarnation perhaps? It's a fun mental exercise, which betrays my opinion that we're in dire need of some of this kind of fire in modern artwork too.

Back
Top Bottom